Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Mays
(10-25-2016, 04:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hes done well for us in the past when pushed into service...

Plus he helps STs....

And we will have the bye week to try him out.

But out LBers coverage has been pretty bad so far this season and backup DBs outside of shaw.

Could easily see him making the roster over someone else that's normally inactive

As NYKRob pointed out, he has 33 tackles and four pass defenses in 50 career Bengals games.  I don't consider that doing well, but maybe that's just me.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I always liked Mays (one of the few). If he does come back; obvious cuts are Flowers or that rookie Safety with the funny name.

(10-25-2016, 03:13 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If he can spy a QB please bring him in.

If he can cover an athletic, or even non athletic in some cases, tight end bring him in.

I don't want him @ safety but if he can run with Kevin hogan and Jason witten I'm all for it

(10-25-2016, 03:24 PM)J24 Wrote: He is a good special teamer, a good nickle LB, and he knows the system. why in the blue hell would the Bengals not be interested.

Pretty much all this. Nobody is expecting him to be an All-Pro safety, but maybe he can help out ST a bit, and I damn sure bet Hogan wouldn't have rushed for 104 yards on the Bengals if Mays was out there playing spy on him.

Just give Mays a singular task and let him handle that and hit them hard.

At this point neither the ST gunning/blocking, nor the lack of ability to cover a running QB/passing catching RB/pass catching TE can honestly get much worse than it currently is. Lets see if he can improve it at least a little.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The issue with Taylor Mays is this... the NFL has become a soft game, and someone like Taylor would have been a huge star in the 80-90's. I am not calling any dumb or stupid, but he has had trouble in his past learning the plays from my understanding, but he is made for football, he can hit for sure. A few times down the middle and let Taylor at them they will not be going down the middle much. If we do pick him up, I hope they let him play with some freedom. Football has become really soft.
Reply/Quote
Would be great if we bring in Taylor Mays in my opinion.  He cant play LB in base package or S in base package but he definitely could play Nickel LB for this team right now.  He would be the #2 Nickel LB on the team just behind Burfict in my opinion.  Next best would be #3 V. Rey #4 Flowers #5 Vigil.  Dansby should be shown the door in my opinion.  We took a chance he still had something left in the tank and he does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 03:48 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Because he's been marginal at best.  In 50 career games with the Bengals he had a total of 33 tackles and 4 passes defended.  Last year with Oakland he played in 14 games where he had 15 total tackles and 5 passes defended.  Coming off of suspension he has yet to play in a game or practice in 2016, so it would likely take him some time to get into football shape and into a position where he can contribute (if you're expecting much of a contribution in the first place).  

If you play him strictly at safety sure he will struggle but if you play him as a coverage LB and special teamer he will play well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 05:24 PM)CoreyK Wrote: Would be great if we bring in Taylor Mays in my opinion.  He cant play LB in base package or S in base package but he definitely could play Nickel LB for this team right now.  He would be the #2 Nickel LB on the team just behind Burfict in my opinion.  Next best would be #3 V. Rey #4 Flowers #5 Vigil.  Dansby should be shown the door in my opinion.  We took a chance he still had something left in the tank and he does not.

Maybe 2015 Burfict, but 2016 Burfict looks like he spent his suspension eating bacon and drinking melted icecream.

Reply/Quote
I was surprised nobody ever tried to convert him to RB or HB. Dude looks like he could open a hole
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:20 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I'm not even sure where he would fit on this current roster, but apparently the Bengals are expressing interest along with other teams. If he gets signed, who gets cut? I'd hate to see someone with potential get the axe to bring him back.  Feel like he's had more than enough chances here.

Wow, why can't we be interested in an OT out there somewhere?

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I always liked Mays (one of the few). If he does come back; obvious cuts are Flowers or that rookie Safety with the funny name.

I have never been a Mays hater but both of those guys, Flowers and Fejedelum (i am assuming) have played alright on ST's
and in my opinion have higher ceilings than Mays. I am not for this, it seems to be the coaching more than anything as to
why our Linebackers have been so bad.

I have no faith in Haslett coaching Taylor Mays up.

Plus i already like Shawn Williams better at LB. Start Derron Smith in Shawn's spot at times.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.Meae80665a62a179de099382db6f17...=234&h=176]
"Why can't you see eee eee.  You belong with me eee eee.  You belong with me!"
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have never been a Mays hater but both of those guys, Flowers and Fejedelum (i am assuming) have played alright on ST's
and in my opinion have higher ceilings than Mays. I am not for this, it seems to be the coaching more than anything as to
why our Linebackers have been so bad.

I have no faith in Haslett coaching Taylor Mays up.

Plus i already like Shawn Williams better at LB. Start Derron Smith in Shawn's spot at times.

I don't know if anyone has played well on ST. Both covering and blocking has been fairly weak this year.

As for Shawn Williams at LB, he is 210 lb, and one of the worst tackling safeties I have seen. Pass.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 04:36 PM)corpjet Wrote: Side note when were out showering those on the street please also find us another edge rusher to replace #90!

Only 6 DEs in the entire league have more QB hurries than MJ.

Only 11 DEs have more tackles for loss.

Ony 20 DEs have more QB hits.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 02:20 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I'm not even sure where he would fit on this current roster, but apparently the Bengals are expressing interest along with other teams. If he gets signed, who gets cut? I'd hate to see someone with potential get the axe to bring him back.  Feel like he's had more than enough chances here.

Isn't it obvious? #14, or, worst case scenario #70.

Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 05:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Maybe 2015 Burfict, but 2016 Burfict looks like he spent his suspension eating bacon and drinking melted icecream.
... Smokin' cigarettes and drinkin' 40s too. He had a light training camp, no preseason, and sat for three games. He looks like he was chillin'. He's in shape though... He's round.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know if anyone has played well on ST. Both covering and blocking has been fairly weak this year.

As for Shawn Williams at LB, he is 210 lb, and one of the worst tackling safeties I have seen. Pass.

We have been better covering than blocking but you are right we have been weak overall on ST's.

Shawn has played much better lately. Thought it would take some time for him to try and fill Reggie's shoes.

Shawn plays good as a Nickel Linebacker, exactly what we would be bringing in Mays for.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 07:27 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Wow, why can't we be interested in an OT out there somewhere?

Be excited all you want for whoever you want. Judging by the comments here I am remembering a very different Taylor Mays than most. I'm just saying this guy has had many chances with both the Bengals and other teams, and would hate to see someone with upside get the boot for someone with a known ceiling.

In terms of OT, find someone off the street who can improve this team right now and I'll be jumping for joy with you.
Reply/Quote
Um......pass. Folks knock Dansby....but isn't he among the team leaders in tackles in his first year here?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 04:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Um......pass.  Folks knock Dansby....but isn't he among the team leaders in tackles in his first year here?

Dansby is leading the team with 48. 

Nobody else is even in the 40's. 

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 04:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dansby is leading the team with 48. 

Nobody else is even in the 40's. 

Even better than I remembered.....lol.  Thanks for looking it up.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
What I remember most about Taylor Mays were the crushing hits he delivered, to our own players.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote