Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor did well today
I thought coach Taylor's playcalling was suspect like a lot of other. You gotta admit though, the jet sweeps, getting Mixon and Gio going with some great designs... I hope he keeps it going.. Amazing what you can do with some good ole blocking... I just watched the victory locker room celebration.  I like Taylor, man I hope he works out..
Reply/Quote
I have to give him credit that he had a misdirection play in the first half that I thought was truly genius.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The sweeps were a breath of fresh air. The outside runs with Hopkins pulling worked well. They showed a bit more creativity today than we’ve seen in a bit. I’m not sure if they’ve been doing that the first 3 weeks but it was hard to see with the lack of execution. Not sure.

Did Callahan have a greater role in play calling today? They kept panning up to him up on the box. I still don’t know what that guy does.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:11 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have to give him credit that he had a misdirection play in the first half that I thought was truly genius.

Yes got me as well. His red zone calling is suspect. 3rd and goal from the 1/2 yard line just QB sneak it twice and if you don’t get it they have drive 99.5 yards. Otherwise i thought the playcalling was great. They went play action multiple times when I thought for sure it was an obvious run that had me pleasantly surprised.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:11 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have to give him credit that he had a misdirection play in the first half that I thought was truly genius.

I thought there were a bunch of them. Damn, that's all we wanted was a little creativity and play to our strengths. I believe he accomplished both today...
Reply/Quote
He called a good game.

My only question would be did Burrow audible that 4th down play to go into shotgun? Looked that way.

If so I don’t have a single complaint with anything Taylor called today. And even then, it worked...

Reply/Quote
The pass where Jack picked it was a good call, poor effort by Sample. The ball was there. Hit him right off the facemask...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He called a good game.

My only question would be did Burrow audible that 4th down play to go into shotgun? Looked that way.

If so I don’t have a single complaint with anything Taylor called today. And even then, it worked...

That was gutsy. Esp with our line. I think they had a good feel of the game and where to attack at that point..
Reply/Quote
I agree with the improved play calling, mentioned it in another thread. I want to say it was "FanInKettering" that pointed out with improved line play the playbook opens up.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Your rookie QB is getting more familiar with the NFL speed of defenses (Not a knock on him, just saw him taking less hits and looking more comfortable back there), your line starts to play better and all the sudden you can be creative.

All in all, was a good game all around.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
1 more thing I want to see is more use of Gio too... It seems like the little hes used, he produces everytime..
Reply/Quote
Credit where credit is due... Now do it again next week.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I can give him credit for this outing. Like Jason said now do it again.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I agree with the improved play calling, mentioned it in another thread. I want to say it was "FanInKettering" that pointed out with improved line play the playbook opens up.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Your rookie QB is getting more familiar with the NFL speed of defenses (Not a knock on him, just saw him taking less hits and looking more comfortable back there), your line starts to play better and all the sudden you can be creative.

All in all, was a good game all around.

WhoDey2 It can also be pointed out that this "equals" the end of the pre-season. Maybe things are starting to click for a reason...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I honestly feel that Taylor/Callahan has called decent games this year, and they have called some really great offensive plays against a lot of exotic defenses.

I'm not saying he is great, his red zone offense is abysmal, and with poor offensive line play that makes sense. If they ever fix there offensive line play and Mixon plays like today moving forward, that will get better.
Reply/Quote
I was highly critical of the game Taylor called last week (and I still think rightfully so). That being said he called a fantastic game today. It helped that the players showed up to execute the plan - looking at you offensive line. Great win today.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Credit where credit is due... Now do it again next week.

Alright then  To show I believe in fair play, this has to go in.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I just think it is so much easier to get into a rhythm calling plays when you have better o-line play. A running game. Time to throw.

When the line is being overwhelmed, you cannot run, you cannot pass. You cannot do anything. We don't have any real speed at WR with Ross a deserved scratch. The D just gets downhill on you. No fear.
Reply/Quote
As I said in another thread, when we win no one hates play calling and when you lose everyone is an expert on playcalling. Execution is always more important than play calling, execution was better today (especially running) and therefor playcalling looks better. If all those reverse handoffs get blown up behind the line and those shotgun tosses result in negative yards the whole crew is here today telling us how dumb of plays they were.
Reply/Quote
I thought ZT called a better game. I think.he actually showed some wrinkles that Jville
Wasnt expecting. The toss sweeps to 3 different WRs was encouraging to see.

What he needs to work on is his personal groupings in the red zone.
Sample over Tate .....really?
He needs to get Cethan Carter some more snaps.

Lets see how ZT calls plays vs a much better defense in the Ravens.
Thats the litmus test coming up
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:09 PM)Tony Wrote: I thought coach Taylor's playcalling was suspect like a lot of other. You gotta admit though, the jet sweeps, getting Mixon and Gio going with some great designs... I hope he keeps it going.. Amazing what you can do with some good ole blocking... I just watched the victory locker room celebration.  I like Taylor, man I hope he works out..

They finally had balance and he seemed to realize that every run doesn't have to be straight at the defense.  The Jet sweeps, the plays where Boyd crashed in on the nickel CB and freed Mixon outside, and the fact that Gio actually started it with a really nice run were all great additions.

One thing to note:  There were three plays that were read-option and Burrow handed the ball off.  Had he kept either one of them, he would have had no one to tackle him for at least 15 yards.  I kept thinking they were setting it up, but never used it.  Frankly, they didn't need to.  

I am sure when the time comes, they will pull that out against the ratbirds.  Hope Joe gets a bit more comfortable with his slides.  They look awkward.  
Reply/Quote