Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher punished for using the T word
Called a couple of black teens behaving like thugs...well, thugs.
Thug is now a racist term.

Back in the day anyone could be called a thug, but today he word "thug" seems to be synonymous with blacks behaving badly.
Gee I cant imagine how that could happen.
Can anyone explain?

“I’ve been labeled a racist and a homophobe, all from the word ‘thug,’” Conroy told WPXI-TV.
“I have coached for six years young athletes — every race, religion, creed, social background — and never once have I been accused of anything like that,” he added to WPXI

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/10/11/white-coach-punished-after-calling-black-males-thugs-over-alleged-assault-on-special-needs-kid/[/url]
1. If accurate, sounds like they were being thugs.
2. Dude didn’t use good common sense. Youth league coach calls high school players names, then expects to use high school equipment?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-18-2017, 01:05 AM)Benton Wrote: 1. If accurate, sounds like they were being thugs.
2. Dude didn’t use good common sense. Youth league coach calls high school players names, then expects to use high school equipment?

It's almost like the first amendment doesn't protect people from the reaction to their words and actions except from the government.

I'd swear I'd heard someone say that about another situation but I just can't remember what it was about.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Volunteer given use of school facilities calls students at that school thugs on the internet and doesn't expect backlash?

Since he's not an actual staff member, the punishment comes with less restraint on the part of the school board. He's simply a volunteer coach for elementary students using that school. Even if they are being thugs/punks, don't comment on things involving a school you're somewhat associated with. Number 1 social media rule for schools.

Also, I saw the video. It looked like kids being dumb. Inappropriate and suspension worthy, but it didn't look like an attempt to attack the kid.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Not a teacher.
Meh, wasn't the term THUG popularized in an effort to circumnavigate the career-ending taboo the N-word has gained in recent years? Common sense says you can't use the word thug with impunity anymore.
(10-18-2017, 12:43 AM)Vlad Wrote: Called a couple of black teens behaving like thugs...well, thugs.
Thug is now a racist term.

Back in the day anyone could be called a thug, but today he word "thug" seems to be synonymous with blacks behaving badly.
Gee I cant imagine how that could happen.
Can anyone explain?

“I’ve been labeled a racist and a homophobe, all from the word ‘thug,’” Conroy told WPXI-TV.
“I have coached for six years young athletes — every race, religion, creed, social background — and never once have I been accused of anything like that,” he added to WPXI

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/10/11/white-coach-punished-after-calling-black-males-thugs-over-alleged-assault-on-special-needs-kid/[/url]

The truth is "thug" largely is a racial term. You will rarely ever hear that word used in reference to white people even when they are actually thugs.
(10-18-2017, 12:05 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: The truth is "thug" largely is a racial term. You will rarely ever hear that word used in reference to white people even when they are actually thugs.

That is a reality that a lot of people don't want to admit, though. Every time I have heard the term used for a white guy it has either been someone with people of color, or is acting "urban". The term just means a violent person, but its selective use in today's society tends to be very telling.
Quote:Police wrote that, at 5:40 p.m., the victim -- who was not named in the document -- "ran out of the home team locker room (with the accused) running and chasing the victim. (Mr. Youngblood) grabs the victim, punches him one time with a right hand fist to the stomach, then knees him in the stomach with his right knee."

As for Mr. Majors, the affidavit notes he: "®uns over, jumps and kicks the victim in the right shoulder with his right foot." About four minutes later, Mr. Majors and the victim were outside the stadium with the victim's back to Mr. Majors. "(Mr. Majors) runs approximately 10 feet, jumps and kicks the victim in the back at the base of his neck with his right foot." The victim, who hadn't seen Mr. Majors coming, landed face-first onto the pavement. "(Mr. Majors) runs back into the stadium laughing," the document notes.

It appears to be a case of 2 Seniors assaulting an underclassman with Special needs. This rates Thug in my book; as that is the kindest descriptive I could give them.

WTS, free speech doesn't mean what some folks thinks it means. You cannot say whatever you want and then cry because someone held you accountable for your words.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

When I start hearing old white dudes refer to young white criminals as "thugs", I'll stop thinking it's a word reserved for darker skinned people.

I know that it's technically not a bad word in any way, but lately it seems that it's just code word for people who really want to say "******" but are afraid of the consequences.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Maybe I'm just living in a bubble... or I'm getting old... but I don't see thug as a racist term.

It's a term for referring to a violent criminal. We're going to run out of words if every single adjective becomes racist, sexist, etc.
(10-18-2017, 02:54 PM)Benton Wrote: Maybe I'm just living in a bubble... or I'm getting old... but I don't see thug as a racist term.

It's a term for referring to a violent criminal. We're going to run out of words if every single adjective becomes racist, sexist, etc.

It must be a Kentucky thing; as I too do not see any racial connotations with the word thug. We I think of the word I associate it with the enforcers from the gangster era.

Would everyone be OK if he used the term punk ass bytches? As that is the term I would us to describe adults that acted toward a special needs kid in such a manner.

(10-18-2017, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It must be a Kentucky thing; as I too do not see any racial connotations with the word thug. We I think of the word I associate it with the enforcers from the gangster era.

See, that is my first thought with the word, as well. I just know about the way common, contemporary usage has shifted it and how the term is often perceived by people of color.
(10-18-2017, 03:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, that is my first thought with the word, as well. I just know about the way common, contemporary usage has shifted it and how the term is often perceived by people of color.

So has gangster, perhaps that it where the connection to color comes from.

(10-18-2017, 03:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So has gangster, perhaps that it where the connection to color comes from.

It may be, because that term is also another one where it was once thought of as a reference primarily to a different group of people than it does currently. Though this is also a shift to the more overt organized crime that occurs in the country. Which goes into another conversation, because when I was just thinking about the term organized crime, I thought about how modern street gangs are organized crime, but we (or at least I) don't think of them in that way, and there is a racial component to how I perceive that term.
(10-18-2017, 02:54 PM)Benton Wrote: Maybe I'm just living in a bubble... or I'm getting old... but I don't see thug as a racist term.

A lot of this is actually derivative of Richard Sherman's rant in 2014 about the sorry ass receiver Michael Crabtree. I called him a douche when he did that.

Others called him a thug. 

https://deadspin.com/the-word-thug-was-uttered-625-times-on-tv-yesterday-1506098319

On TV, "thug" was mentioned 625 times, a HUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEEEE jump. 

An example is from the Boston area sports show, Dennis & Callahan:

>>he's a thug. some of these are hilarious. i got one in front of me that says "he can't be a thug, he got good grades."

>> sherm "sherman is a stanford educated player who started himself masters degree." stop me when i get to the part that refutes that he's a thug.
>> why is he a thug?
>> isn't it subjective?
>> why is he a thug?
>> because of his behavior.
>> define thug. he's never been arrested.
>> i'm not defining thug.
>> well, look it up.
>> they're not mutually exclusive. you can say he's a thug because of his behavior on the field and the way he acts, that's fine.

http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-sherman-thug-2014-1

Sherman commented on it, calling it a coded word that replaces the N-word. 

(10-18-2017, 03:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So has gangster, perhaps that it where the connection to color comes from.

(10-18-2017, 03:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It may be, because that term is also another one where it was once thought of as a reference primarily to a different group of people than it does currently. Though this is also a shift to the more overt organized crime that occurs in the country. Which goes into another conversation, because when I was just thinking about the term organized crime, I thought about how modern street gangs are organized crime, but we (or at least I) don't think of them in that way, and there is a racial component to how I perceive that term.

I could see gangster, because there was a lot of usage of the word to self-describe. To me, it fits more the attitudes and lifestyles more than race. A white kid blasting Biggie and taking part in the culture is as dumb as a black kid doing the same. And just as benefiting from the term gangster. 

It's not the same as a lot of the terms used to define people based on skin color, geolocation, etc.

(10-18-2017, 03:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A lot of this is actually derivative of Richard Sherman's rant in 2014 about the sorry ass receiver Michael Crabtree. I called him a douche when he did that.

Others called him a thug. 

https://deadspin.com/the-word-thug-was-uttered-625-times-on-tv-yesterday-1506098319

On TV, "thug" was mentioned 625 times, a HUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEEEE jump. 

An example is from the Boston area sports show, Dennis & Callahan:

>>he's a thug. some of these are hilarious. i got one in front of me that says "he can't be a thug, he got good grades."

>> sherm "sherman is a stanford educated player who started himself masters degree." stop me when i get to the part that refutes that he's a thug.
>> why is he a thug?
>> isn't it subjective?
>> why is he a thug?
>> because of his behavior.
>> define thug. he's never been arrested.
>> i'm not defining thug.
>> well, look it up.
>> they're not mutually exclusive. you can say he's a thug because of his behavior on the field and the way he acts, that's fine.

http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-sherman-thug-2014-1

Sherman commented on it, calling it a coded word that replaces the N-word. 

Understandable, but that's still just a misuse of the word, for the most part. A lot of folks call politicians thieves or crooks or liars; none of those terms become synonymous with "middle age white men" just because another politician or someone with a soap box uses the term.

But I'll admit, as bfine mentioned, it may just be more of a regional usage (or in our case, lack thereof).
(10-18-2017, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It must be a Kentucky thing; as I too do not see any racial connotations with the word thug. We I think of the word I associate it with the enforcers from the gangster era.

Would everyone be OK if he used the term punk ass bytches? As that is the term I would us to describe adults that acted toward a special needs kid in such a manner.

I think the term "d**kheads" would work as well... Sounds like the work of a couple of d**kheads.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I don't find myself using the word, as I feel that the person using it is pretty much admitting they're intimidated by the person. I generally use Bfine's suggestion of "Punk-azz Beyotch" or just "Scumbag".
If I'm pissed at the dude, I'll call him whatever it takes for him to come get some.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
(10-18-2017, 03:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Understandable, but that's still just a misuse of the word, for the most part. A lot of folks call politicians thieves or crooks or liars; none of those terms become synonymous with "middle age white men" just because another politician or someone with a soap box uses the term.

But I'll admit, as bfine mentioned, it may just be more of a regional usage (or in our case, lack thereof).

It's not regional. Obama joined Maryland's governor and Baltimore's former mayor (who is black) in calling rioters in Baltimore "thugs". 

It's just that it's ALSO being used that way (a misuse as you've pointed out). I don't think this guy meant it in that way. It's not like this is a stand out NFL player known for being academically talented and articulate being called a "thug" for calling an opposing player "a sorry ass receiver". Based on the police report, they committed a serious assault on a kid. When I only saw the video on the news report I caught, they had it playing on repeat, making it look like some Jackass stunt. Now that I know the context, that seems in poor taste and I would agree that these kids are punks/thugs (punks is what I've grown up using). 

But despite that... don't comment publicly on social media if you're in anyway associated with a school. Especially if you're only a volunteer, the school board won't think twice about banning you to avoid a controversy.