Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Team Makes Statement
(08-30-2020, 08:50 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Are you new to forums? There is a subject title/header. You click that link and then comment and quote along with others to have a discussion on said topic.

The topic of this thread was "Team makes a statement" (about social injustice). You came in and made a statement about the team, it's general outlook, and an off-season recap (you know, just in case anyone reading through a Bengals super-fan message board had been living under a rock or been in a coma the last 8 months).

So, to circle you back around to the topic of this thread.... What are your thoughts on the Bengals and Mike Brown coming out front and center to make this statement?

- Personally, I think it was a nice sentiment. Not sure what good it will do without continued repetition, but their hearts were in a good place. Good to see MB out there getting some face/mask time. From a production standpoint, I wish they had memorized their lines instead of reading from their phones. Looking forward to seeing how they progress with this stuff.

I hate overpaid athletes making political statements about anything and yes social injustice is up for debate. Why no mention of abortion and fact almost 2400 babies are killed each year? Of those 80% are minorities? Is that an injustice? If so, why silent?

I want to watch and enjoy sports and entertainment and would prefer they keep their political views to themselves, just like they do with abortion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(08-30-2020, 12:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is obviously a political thread and statement. It needs to be moved to P&R forum.

Some of us want zero politics and just want to enjoy the team, politics makes that impossible.

Well the team made the statement so I guess that makes it a team related matter...?

You can enjoy the team while simply ignoring they even made this statement. It’s not like they are going to play this every time they score a TD.
(08-30-2020, 12:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well the team made the statement so I guess that makes it a team related matter...?

You can enjoy the team while simply ignoring they even made this statement. It’s not like they are going to play this every time they score a TD.

I made my comments based on their statement. It is my right to speak of the things they stay silent on as well and why why this belongs in P&R, there people can react to or not. I was right to have an opinion on the team statement, so let's not try and silence anyone. I have no issue people speaking their mind, it is all of our right to do so.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(08-30-2020, 01:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I made my comments based on their statement. It is my right to speak of the things they stay silent on as well and why why this belongs in P&R, there people can react to or not. I was right to have an opinion on the team statement, so let's not try and silence anyone. I have no issue people speaking their mind, it is all of our right to do so.

What? I guess I missed the part where I tried to “silence you”...
(08-30-2020, 01:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I made my comments based on their statement. It is my right to speak of the things they stay silent on as well and why why this belongs in P&R, there people can react to or not. I was right to have an opinion on the team statement, so let's not try and silence anyone. I have no issue people speaking their mind, it is all of our right to do so.

Burrow literally said in his part of the statement that it’s not political though. Look, I’m straight white male who leans right on more issues than not, but I have absolutely no problem with any of this. They marched together as a team to the Freedom Center, and made a statement about fighting against racism. Everyone should be on board with that. No matter what their politics are.

(08-30-2020, 01:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow literally said in his part of the statement that it’s not political though. Look, I’m straight white male who leans right on more issues than not, but I have absolutely no problem with any of this. They marched together as a team to the Freedom Center, and made a statement about fighting against racism. Everyone should be on board with that. No matter what their politics are.

I never said I was against police brutality. I am sick of it being polarized to fit political agenda's regardless of what young Joe Burrow says. He has his opinion, I have mine.

Let's play football and let's talk football in the non political forum. That is my ask, not to debate their statement, not here, move it to P&R for those who want to discuss it.

(08-30-2020, 01:36 PM)jason Wrote: You're overpaid.

Higher occurrence of abortion among minorities is part of the larger problem they are speaking on. They don't need to dissect it. Anyone who can take in complex issues realizes that.

And honestly what difference does it make how much money they’re paid? Most of them are still black men in America. And they certainly weren’t rich before they made it to the NFL. I’ve never had to experience being pulled over by the cops as a black man, and there is absolutely something to be said about how some of these shootings could be avoided, but I also have to assume it’s still a pretty scary thing to experience for them. Even if they’ve done nothing wrong, and are complying. Misunderstandings happen. Me and a friend had a swarm of cops descend on us years ago in a Taco Bell drive thru. My friend’s truck matched the description of a vehicle that had just been used in a home invasion and robbery nearby. We got it all sorted out pretty quickly, but it could have ended very badly.

(08-29-2020, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: bfine Makes Statement:

Make it stop

Yes, but this was better than I expected honestly.

(08-30-2020, 12:15 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Alright, as long as there is no kneeling or boycotting there games thats fine.

Yes sir. Rock On
(08-30-2020, 12:15 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Alright, as long as there is no kneeling or boycotting there games thats fine.

I can't see the future, but I'm expecting a lot of kneeling to take place.
(08-30-2020, 04:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't see the future, but I'm expecting a lot of kneeling to take place.

Damn it. Whatever
(08-30-2020, 04:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't see the future, but I'm expecting a lot of kneeling to take place.

Yep. I personally don’t care for it much, but it is what it is. And I’m certainly not going to let it bother me. Or diminish my enjoyment of sports. It also seems to get mostly forgotten it was Army veteran Nate Boyer who convinced Kaepernick to kneel instead of sit in the first place. I’ve asked my wife her opinion on it (she’s an Army vet) and it doesn’t really bother her. She said it’s their right. Obviously some feel differently though.

(08-30-2020, 04:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. I personally don’t care for it much, but it is what it is. And I’m certainly not going to let it bother me. Or diminish my enjoyment of sports. It also seems to get mostly forgotten it was Army veteran Nate Boyer who convinced Kaepernick to kneel instead of sit in the first place. I’ve asked my wife her opinion on it (she’s an Army vet) and it doesn’t really bother her. She said it’s their right. Obviously some feel differently though.

Right, I'm just saying people who aren't ok with it may want to brace themselves for it.  It looks like it's going to be pretty widespread, but maybe not...expecting or hoping for none of it just seems like setting yourself up to be upset.
(08-30-2020, 04:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. I personally don’t care for it much, but it is what it is. And I’m certainly not going to let it bother me. Or diminish my enjoyment of sports. It also seems to get mostly forgotten it was Army veteran Nate Boyer who convinced Kaepernick to kneel instead of sit in the first place. I’ve asked my wife her opinion on it (she’s an Army vet) and it doesn’t really bother her. She said it’s their right. Obviously some feel differently though.

(08-30-2020, 04:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, I'm just saying people who aren't ok with it may want to brace themselves for it.  It looks like it's going to be pretty widespread, but maybe not...expecting or hoping for none of it just seems like setting yourself up to be upset.

I regrettably agree lol
Whoopee. They took a walk. Good for them.

All these things are not engines of change. They are just shows of not much effort to make these guys feel like they did something meaningful, even if recent history proves they haven't.

The reality is that words and little displays don't do shit. Bruce Arians was exactly right.

Big deal being made about getting people to vote. Are they gonna vote out the mayor of Minneapolis or Atlanta or Kenosha? Hell no, they're not.

Is replacing the President gonna accomplish anything in this area? Absolutely not. How about the House? The proof of how misguided the supposed leadership of the grand movement is is that their best solutions are to get rid of police departments or elect a new president, and neither of these things will change a damn thing.

If there is this great fear that white cops are all just itching to kill innocent black men, how about not violating restraining orders and showing up where you have no legal right to be? Or stop resisting or ignoring or brawling with or walking or running away from cops you believe probably want you dead? A little common sense might go a very long way. Sometimes the best solution is the simplest.

As to the kneeling, who gives a shit? If doing the absolute least they could do gives them some feeling of accomplishment, so be it. The flag can take it. I knelt for a minute and a half. Call me activist. Long live token displays and appeasement gestures.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(08-30-2020, 01:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow literally said in his part of the statement that it’s not political though. Look, I’m straight white male who leans right on more issues than not, but I have absolutely no problem with any of this. They marched together as a team to the Freedom Center, and made a statement about fighting against racism. Everyone should be on board with that. No matter what their politics are.

Registered Independent, here. Some seem to think racism and denouncing it is political. Being right or left, to me, means different ideas of policy to make America strong and better. Being prejudiced against someone should be thought of as being as un-American, which both parties should be against. Sadly, that isn't reality. Many of those who hate minorities seem to align with the right wing. Then, it is incorrectly believed all right wing people are racists, which is very false. Unfortunately, some feel like they can't even disavow a bunch a people, or they'll lose votes. That's both unfair to them and cop out at the same time. 

And for some to say their jobs and paychecks means anything from saying anything. Many come from areas where this is very real to them and they can speak to it. The guy working at the gas station, who grew up in the same neighborhood, doesn't get interviewed on ESPN. It's only because their viewpoint differs that someone calls it invalid. Left and Right wing have current and former athletes and other celebrities on their news channels to give their views. Neither side tells someone to stick to their talent when they are taking about something they believe in.  
(08-30-2020, 08:50 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Are you new to forums? There is a subject title/header. You click that link and then comment and quote along with others to have a discussion on said topic.

The topic of this thread was "Team makes a statement" (about social injustice). You came in and made a statement about the team, it's general outlook, and an off-season recap (you know, just in case anyone reading through a Bengals super-fan message board had been living under a rock or been in a coma the last 8 months).

So, to circle you back around to the topic of this thread.... What are your thoughts on the Bengals and Mike Brown coming out front and center to make this statement?

- Personally, I think it was a nice sentiment. Not sure what good it will do without continued repetition, but their hearts were in a good place. Good to see MB out there getting some face/mask time. From a production standpoint, I wish they had memorized their lines instead of reading from their phones. Looking forward to seeing how they progress with this stuff.

I was mainly getting to the fact that something like this can sometimes break a team a part.  What if Burrow refused to make a statement?  What if Mike Brown said absolutely not on going to the museum and making a statement.  
(08-30-2020, 07:07 PM)McC Wrote: Whoopee.  They took a walk.  Good for them.

All these things are not engines of change.  They are just shows of not much effort to make these guys feel like they did something meaningful, even if recent history proves they haven't.

The reality is that words and little displays don't do shit.  Bruce Arians was exactly right.

Big deal being made about getting people to vote.  Are they gonna vote out the mayor of Minneapolis or Atlanta or Kenosha?  Hell no, they're not.  

Is replacing the President gonna accomplish anything in this area?  Absolutely not.  How about the House?  The proof of how misguided the supposed leadership of the grand movement is is that their best solutions are to get rid of police departments or elect a new president, and neither of these things will change a damn thing.

If there is this great fear that white cops are all just itching to kill innocent black men, how about not violating restraining orders and showing up where you have no legal right to be?  Or stop resisting or ignoring or brawling with or walking or running away from cops you believe probably want you dead?  A little common sense might go a very long way.  Sometimes the best solution is the simplest.

As to the kneeling, who gives a shit?  If doing the absolute least they could do gives them some feeling of accomplishment, so be it.  The flag can take it.  I knelt for a minute and a half.  Call me activist.  Long live token displays and appeasement gestures.

Right with you, great post as usual McC. 

Thank you. Seriously, thank you for your rationality and common sense.
It's never gonna be good enough.. I keep telling people this.. I honestly believe it makes things worse.. I'm done with the NBA over the polotics.. I don't think I could ever stop watching the Bengals though...
Also, ESPN is straight torture to watch right now in these times...

I don't expect things to get all that crazy with this organization.  Burrow will speak on the issue if asked and the team will more than likely have a few gestures planned.  I still don't see the Bengals being a team that will sit out in protest or engage in activities that have an impact on games. 

Mike is loyal to his players and will do what it takes to keep them happy, but I'd guess that behind close doors he's doing all he can to keep it from getting too out of hand  I think the video is a pretty good balance. 
(08-30-2020, 12:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is obviously a political thread and statement. It needs to be moved to P&R forum.

Some of us want zero politics and just want to enjoy the team, politics makes that impossible.

Totally agree..this place needs to be a politics free zone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk