Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Needs(as of now)
Top Tier needs
1) C- Hopkins looks lost
2.) CB- Wayne's hasn't played a snap yet(as of week 2) and if cut in 22 would save 11 Million in 2022.
3.)TE- Neither UZ or Sample has shown the ability to scare a defense.

Could be needs if not re-signed
1.) RT- Riely Rieff has been solid but he is in his 30s. It's questionable if the Bengals will resign him.
2.)DT- Larry OG, BJ Hill,and Topu are all good players but are also all free agents in 22. Front office will be lucky to sign 1 in the off-season.
3.) Safety- I fully expect Bates to be re signed by franchise tag but you never no.

Could be improved upon but not necessary
SS- Bell is good but Kyle Hamilton would be tough to pass up.
DE- you can never have enough pass rushers. Hendrickson and Hubbard are good but neither are  top tier. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:34 PM)J24 Wrote: Top Tier needs
1) C- Hopkins looks lost
2.) CB- Wayne's hasn't played a snap yet(as of week 2) and if cut in 22 would save 11 Million in 2022.

Not sure getting a shiny new TE would change anything. The play calling hasn't included too much action for the TE position and thats not due to the talent of our TE's. I think its all ZT.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
O Line still needs major help. Plus our RBs and TE Sample have blown blocks.

I don't like our depth behind Mixon. Paul Brown always said it is hard not to take a good running back. A good 1st Round Running Back would be someone Bengals would pay, since they refuse to pay guards, centers and safeties.

It's too early to say, but I would not mind a First Round RB because we really are weak in RB depth. If the RB ends up better than Mixon, even better. Paul Brown always had more than one good RB, he liked a Stable of RB's. If Mixon would get injured, Bengals are up a creek without a paddle at RB. So RB is a possible Top Pick.

The Draft could also depend on who Bengals Head Coach is in April, because Zac is not locked in all that solid anymore. He had valid excuses and reasons to still be here, but he needs to do much better in 2021, or it will be a New Coach on the clock with The Pick.

So my question is, Are there any amazing RB's out there who would be a great Top Pick for an NFL team. I do not like our RB depth.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure getting a shiny new TE would change anything. The play calling hasn't included too much action for the TE position and thats not due to the talent of our TE's. I think its all ZT.
Having a TE that can stretch the middle of the defense would be huge for us. 
(09-21-2021, 02:57 PM)kevin Wrote: O Line still needs major help.  Plus our RBs and TE Sample have blown blocks.  

I don't like our depth behind Mixon.  Paul Brown always said it is hard not to take a good running back.  A good 1st Round Running Back would be someone Bengals would pay, since they refuse to pay guards, centers and safeties.  

It's too early to say, but I would not mind a First Round RB because we really are weak in RB depth.  If the RB ends up better than Mixon, even better.  Paul Brown always had more than one good RB, he liked a Stable of RB's.  If Mixon would get injured, Bengals are up a creek without a paddle at RB.  So RB is a possible Top Pick.

The Draft could also depend on who Bengals Head Coach is in April, because Zac is not locked in all that solid anymore.  He had valid excuses and reasons to still be here, but he needs to do much better in 2021, or it will be a New Coach on the clock with The Pick.

So my question is, Are there any amazing RB's out there who would be a great Top Pick for an NFL team.  I do not like our RB depth.
I'm curious as to why you don't like our RBs. Evans seems like a good 3rd down back and Perine is a good backup.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 04:13 PM)J24 Wrote: Having a TE that can stretch the middle of the defense would be huge for us. 
I'm curious as to why you don't like our RBs. Evans seems like a good 3rd down back and Perine is a good backup.

I'm just going on the old Paul Brown that you can never have enough good RBs.   

On the Bengals, I've seen a better stable of runners.   Paul Robinson, Jess Phillips, Elliott were very good.  We at one time have Pete Johnson, Charles Alexander and Archie Griffin.  We once had James Brooks, Ickey Woods, Stanly Wilson, Stanford Jennings. 

If Mixon were to get injured again, the thought of Perine or Evans as the main ball carrier does not sound very good behind this O Line still in rebuilding mode. 

The Bengals have other needs besides running back, but I wish they could get somebody better than Perine or Evans.  Just as fans were happy with Baby Hawk, but I always wanted some better receivers than that.   In todays NFL, the real good teams have several top name running backs.  Just as Paul Brown, they carry a stable of RBs that could start for other teams. 

It would be a luxury in 2022 to have a top flight rookie college star to go with Mixon and keep fresh legs in the game, and be set if one got injured.   Of course with other needs areas, it may not be possible.  Still, Paul Brown always said in the Drafts, " It's hard to pass on a good running back ".  Also I will add, we think a lot of Mixon, but what if we could find someone even better.

You see Perrine and Evans as a strength, but I see nothing to have great faith in either of them. I doubt many NFL teams would want them.

So I ask people again, are there any RB's in the next draft who are awesome.

I would like to see a better running game to protect Burrows injured and operated on knee more.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 02:40 AM)kevin Wrote: So I ask people again, are there any RB's in the next draft who are awesome.  

I would like to see a better running game to protect Burrows injured and operated on knee more.

Two who come to mind, not sure if either will come out next year or not as they are both sophomores.  

Breece Hall- Iowa State

Kyren Williams- Notre Dame
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
1) C- Hopkins looks lost

1.) RT- Riely Rieff has been solid but he is in his 30s. It's questionable if the Bengals will resign him.
2.)DT- Larry OG, BJ Hill,and Topu are all good players but are also all free agents in 22. Front office will be lucky to sign 1 in the off-season.
3.) Safety- I fully expect Bates to be re signed by franchise tag but you never no.

DE- you can never have enough pass rushers. Hendrickson and Hubbard are good but neither are  top tier. 
Tiger

Unfortunately Wayne's will stick around with five million in dead cap attached to his contract.
I believe its decision time on whether he hits the IR either this week next. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't talk current offensive line anymore. I'm done with it and time will reveal more week to week. Now future  prospects I'll talk about all day everyday.
Reply/Quote
1) C- Hopkins looks lost

If Taylor is the playcaller next year (hope not), I think this team will continue to underutilize the TE as a receiver.
So I'd be fine with either re-signing Uzomah, getting a different vet, and/or drafting a TE on Day 3.

The Bengals will have a lot of re-signings to worry about in 2022.

I'd look to address OL with two draft picks within Rds 1-3 and also draft a CB.
I'd strongly look to move on from Waynes and use that freed cap to sign another OL. Perhaps that's re-signing Reiff, or maybe it's an IOL. But they could have a need for 3 new starting OL next year, and not all of them can be draft picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
IOL and CB

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 05:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: IOL and CB

Revisiting this thread (especially after today), I'd agree, but instead of IOL on the whole, C is definitely the need spot.

Hopkins didn't play poorly, but he had what? 2 or 3 penalties that killed big plays?

I think now that we have a better unit than the past 2 years, he's sticking out like a sore thumb, while in previous years, he looked to be the best OL on our team.

So, Linderbaum or Lindstrom?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:49 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Revisiting this thread (especially after today), I'd agree, but instead of IOL on the whole, C is definitely the need spot.

Hopkins didn't play poorly, but he had what? 2 or 3 penalties that killed big plays?

I think now that we have a better unit than the past 2 years, he's sticking out like a sore thumb, while in previous years, he looked to be the best OL on our team.

So, Linderbaum or Lindstrom?

If the Bengals are picking in the mid to late teens I wouldn't hate a Tyler Linderbaum pick. Big question will he be able to handle NFL NT in his first year. 

I wouldnt rule out defensive line either because Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, and Josh Tupou are all free agents. Hopefully they will be able to resign 2 of the 3 but who knows.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:41 PM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals are picking in the mid to late teens I wouldn't hate a Tyler Linderbaum pick. Big question will he be able to handle NFL NT in his first year. 

I wouldnt rule out defensive line either because Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, and Josh Tupou are all free agents. Hopefully they will be able to resign 2 of the 3 but who knows.

Unless Hill gets something insane like 15 sacks, I don't think he should be too hard to resign.

Larry is a resign at all costs; I've always liked him and his constant motor/penetration has been insane this year.

Tupou's been really good as well, but he's the least of my concerns, at this point; the other two are more-important, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Unless Hill gets something insane like 15 sacks, I don't think he should be too hard to resign.

Larry is a resign at all costs; I've always liked him and his constant motor/penetration has been insane this year.

Tupou's been really good as well, but he's the least of my concerns, at this point; the other two are more-important, IMO.

Agreed on Hill but if he posts 5 + sacks he may get overpaid by someone
as for Larry O, one of my top fave FA signings ever, I see it as must...the guy is constantly pushing through and getting sticks for losses...ala a young Geno
Topou I see as expendable if it comes down to it....we have a clone in Tyler Shelvin chomping at bit right behind him.
Reply/Quote
My tier list:

Needed immediately:
1. Center (Hopkins is coming off an injury, has never been more than average, will be in the last year of his deal in 2022 and is about to turn 30. We need the future at the position.)
2. CB (Waynes is...not reliable. Apple and Phillips are both in contract years and, honestly, probably not worth re-signing. At least not for any kind of real money. We need a starter level CB and at least one quality back up.)

Needed in the next two years:
3. Left Guard (If D'Ante Smith continues to develop, this may be removed from the needs list but, as it stands, Spain is a good but not great player. He's on a 1 year deal so we either need to re-sign him or this moves up a tier.)
4. Right Tackle (Reiff is in a similar situation as Spain. If we don't re-sign him and Smith does not take over this position, this moves up a tier, but we do need to do something here in the next year or two.)
5. Tight End (Our offense has never really used the tight end that well and that may be because we've never really had an elite one. The first three games of this season furthers this point as the TEs have been almost entirely uninvolved in the offense, with the one exception, the Uzomah 4th down conversion, being the 3rd or 4th read that they almost never even threw to in practice, let alone a real game. CJ is a good receiving Tight End, but I like him as a TE2 more than a TE1. And Sample is pretty much a bust at this point. Yes, he still plays but he's never much more than a 6th (weaker) Olineman and that's a terrible way to spend a 2nd round pick. If we want to increase the dynamism of our offense, a legit #1 tight end would be a great addition but, given our WR corp, we have plenty of people who need touches already so this isn't an emergency need by any means.)

Nice to have:
6. Defensive Tackle (We have a really good rotation of DTs right now. If we are able to re-sign Og and Hill in the off season, we'll be set here for a while. If we don't re-sign one or either, this moves up 1 or 2 tiers, respectively. Tupou has been a good spell for Reader as well, so I hope we hang on to him as well, although he's the least important of the three considering we have Shelvin in the wings.)
7. Defensive End (You can never have too many pass rushers and Ossai coming back from injury next year may fill this need just fine. Hendrickson and Hubbard are good starters but neither is elite and watching Garrett take over that game against the Bears makes me kind of jealous haha. I'd love to have a player that the other team fears like that.

Everything else (Safety, QB, WR, LT, RG, RB, LB) seems to be in a pretty good place right now. If there's just incredible value at any of those positions in the draft or free agency, an upgrade would never hurt. But I'm really encouraged by the play of those players, for the most part. Right Guard is still a work in progress, but I think Carman or Smith can fill one of the guard roles, so we really just need one upgrade for the time being.
Reply/Quote
1) C- Hopkins looks lost

Terribly early but you start with the "FA is for needs, draft is for BPA" mantra.  They'll lean BPA at a priority position and they'd be insane to not have at least a 20th-25th ranked vet center before the draft (trade or FA).  So then you're looking at CB and T as I'm thinking they'll get one of Larry or BJ to resign before the draft. 

If I had to bet, I'd say they keep Reiff, BJ Hill, tag Bates, sign a fringe FA Center, take a corner 1st (if among BPA's) and TE or OL by the 3rd.  
Reply/Quote
Second string quarterback.

I thought the selection of AJ McCarron was brilliant years ago because that’s when Andy Dalton was playing his best. Joe Burrow needs an excellent backup as well and here’s why: Should Joe be out of a game for any reason he’ll need a credible backup, not a scrub, because the playbook needs to be watered down for most backups.

AJ McCarron could successfully run 90% of Andy Dalton’s 2015 offense which is unbelievably impressive. Think of how extensive Joe Burrow’s playbook is — and the Bengals need a backup quarterback who can run almost all of Joe Burrow’s offense.

To back up Joe Burrow will require the services of a quarterback who would be able to start on most NFL rosters. The better the starter the better the backup must be.
Reply/Quote
O line and pass rushers. CB also high on the list. Depth at lb wouldn’t hurt either.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 04:59 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: O line and pass rushers. CB also high on the list. Depth at lb wouldn’t hurt either.

We don't have to touch pass rusher for another 3 years, IMO, as we have:

Hubbard
Hendrickson
Ossai
Sample
Hodge
Ray
Hubert

Ray is probably here for 1 year only, so we would need to replace him with... Ossai lol.

DT is a different story (hopefully Larry gets re-signed), but edge is LOW on the list, probably the only position I wouldn't draft at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Second string quarterback.

I thought the selection of AJ McCarron was brilliant years ago because that’s when Andy Dalton was playing his best. Joe Burrow needs an excellent backup as well and here’s why: Should Joe be out of a game for any reason he’ll need a credible backup, not a scrub, because the playbook needs to be watered down for most backups.

AJ McCarron could successfully run 90% of Andy Dalton’s 2015 offense which is unbelievably impressive. Think of how extensive Joe Burrow’s playbook is — and the Bengals need a backup quarterback who can run almost all of Joe Burrow’s offense.

To back up Joe Burrow will require the services of a quarterback who would be able to start on most NFL rosters. The better the starter the better the backup must be.

Allen is fine, IMO; 2nd string would be a luxury that I would only get in the 4th or later and it would need to be someone that fits your system, who wouldn't see a lot of drop-off.

It's why I wouldn't mind Ridder, but not sure if he fits the system or if he lasts that long (he might).
Reply/Quote
This looks to be a good year to need CB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote