Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Needs for Next Season
Coaching: All new staff - Since it looks like we need to do a rebuild, we need a staff that can come in and play young players and more importantly...develop them.

Offense:
RB (Hill is a free agent after next season and Bernard will be coming back from a major injury)
WR - Green tore his hamstring and he is going to be 29 and Lafell was only on a 1 year deal.
Center
RT/LT - I'd retain Whitworth for another year, but they'll have to figure out if CO or Fisher can start.
Guard - Possibly if Zeitler isn't retained.

Defense:
DE - MJ looks done. Hunt isn't a world-beater. They need to get a young DE in there to develop.
DT - Peko is done. Maybe Billings can develop? Maybe some of the other young DT's will?
LB - We could use 2 new LB's here. Maulauga needs replaced. Dansby obviously won't be back. What to do with Burfict? He's out of control. Do we need a guy who flips off fans?
DB - Williams doesn't look like the answer at Safety...but they have much bigger needs. CB - With Kirkpatrick's injury and pending free agency, who knows what they do here? They have Dennard, Jackson, Shaw, and Jones still. We likely have bigger needs.

Special Teams: Kicker

Realistically, you can expect to add 1-2 starters in Year 1 on defense...so this is starting to look like a full rebuild.
Reply/Quote
Depends where our pick is it will be some really good d-ends. we'd have to take care of that. 2nd round and maybe 3rd gonna have to be a either a RT or LT.
4th things get tricky will it be a DB? it might depends on what corners will still be there. I'll have to my book and see what corners maybe could be there.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:48 AM)Clappington Wrote: Depends where our pick is it will be some really good d-ends. we'd have to take care of that. 2nd round and maybe 3rd gonna have to be a either a RT or LT.
4th things get tricky will it be a DB? it might depends on what corners will still be there. I'll have to my book and see what corners maybe could be there.

We can draft a DE, RB, Tackle, DT...all of those...but that won't change that fact that we'll get maybe 1 starter Year 1 out of that mix.

I think they'll go for a big splash in Round 1 like Fournette or Peppers. Fournette could turn into Adrian Peterson...but our line is so bad at run blocking that it might not matter.
Reply/Quote
If I listed the needs of highest priority and after the need for new coaches, I come up with this:

1. OT
2. DE
3. OT
4. C
5. LB
6. K
7. DT
8. DE
9. G

We don't have enough early draft picks to do all of that, but if we could upgrade the top 4 or 5, plus a rookie free agent kicker this team would improve quite a bit.

I really don't like how the team has drafted LBs.

2009 Rey Maualuga 2nd round
2010 Roddrick Muckelroy 4th round
2011 Dontay Moch 3rd round
2012 None
2013 Sean Porter 4th round
2014 Marquis Flowers 6th round
2015 Paul Dawson 3rd round
2016 Nick Vigil 3rd round

We did get two undrafted rookie free agents who have done more than all of our LBs drafted since 2010. These two are
Vincent Rey and Vontaze Burfict.

All these guys drafted since 2010 have done exactly zero. That's 7 years of zero from 6 draft picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
my priorities

Head coach

O line coach

O coordinator

D line coach

Linebacker coach

DB coach

Center

Center

Center

Bodine is the worst center in the league and it is nothing short of irrational stubborn idiocy that he has not been replaced.
Reply/Quote
I think WR is a bigger need than you 2 are realizing.

Green just had a severe tear of his hamstring and he is going to be 29 this summer. He may not be elite again...and even if he is, we need a #2 guy.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think WR is a bigger need than you 2 are realizing.

Green just had a severe tear of his hamstring and he is going to be 29 this summer. He may not be elite again...and even if he is, we need a #2 guy.

You may be right.

I regret that we may be looking at the return of the 90s. Team has major personnel and coaching problems.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:19 AM)bengals67 Wrote: You may be right.

I regret that we may be looking at the return of the 90s. Team has major personnel and coaching problems.

The thing that worries me worst is that we're not getting guys who can come in and start Year 1 from ANY of our draft picks recently.

That's a big way to upgrade 1-2 positions. Instead we draft guys with ACL tears and redshirt them. Or we draft guys for depth.

You can do that every once in a while...but not every year.
Reply/Quote
We must start in the trenches on both sides of the ball, this is where games are won and lost.

Correct me if Im wrong but we will have 5 picks in the first three rounds (counting the 2 comp picks for losing M Jones and Sanu).

Out of those 5 picks needs to be a couple of O-Lineman a couple of D-lineman and a LB.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Coaching: All new staff - Since it looks like we need to do a rebuild, we need a staff that can come in and play young players and more importantly...develop them.

Offense:
RB (Hill is a free agent after next season and Bernard will be coming back from a major injury)
WR - Green tore his hamstring and he is going to be 29 and Lafell was only on a 1 year deal.
Center
RT/LT - I'd retain Whitworth for another year, but they'll have to figure out if CO or Fisher can start.
Guard - Possibly if Zeitler isn't retained.

Defense:
DE - MJ looks done. Hunt isn't a world-beater. They need to get a young DE in there to develop.
DT - Peko is done. Maybe Billings can develop? Maybe some of the other young DT's will?
LB - We could use 2 new LB's here. Maulauga needs replaced. Dansby obviously won't be back. What to do with Burfict? He's out of control. Do we need a guy who flips off fans?
DB - Williams doesn't look like the answer at Safety...but they have much bigger needs. CB - With Kirkpatrick's injury and pending free agency, who knows what they do here? They have Dennard, Jackson, Shaw, and Jones still. We likely have bigger needs.

Special Teams: Kicker

Realistically, you can expect to add 1-2 starters in Year 1 on defense...so this is starting to look like a full rebuild.

A Top Pick LT.....and a Top Pick LB.......and we need depth across the board which means we can not keep Dalton and McCarron if we get a good trade offer.....LT and LB to start and Peko's age means DT becoming a need.  ...Is Kicker Now A Need ????.......I would think many kickers undrafted to bring in for try outs in 2017.......Fans not happy with Bodine......We could use a star WR to go with Green....but we can not block. That has been the big problem in 2016. We can not run block or pass block and if you can not block, you can not win....We lost Andre Smith and who grabbed him was Zimmer in Minnesota.

2016 is what happens when you lose Nelson, Hall, Jones, Sanu, Smith and many others. Players expected to step in and step up never did.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Jake Fisher is the heir apparent left tackle. Why do we think he won't be able to do the job? Center and guards are bigger needs. We lost people for sure but I keep thinking all the coaching changes especially on defense are our biggest hurdle.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:29 AM)corpjet Wrote: We must start in the trenches on both sides of the ball, this is where games are won and lost.

Correct me if Im wrong but we will have 5 picks in the first three rounds (counting the 2 comp picks for losing M Jones and Sanu).

Out of those 5 picks needs to be a couple of O-Lineman a couple of D-lineman and a LB.

Couldn't agree more it all starts up front you could have the best weapons on offense if you can't block anyone it doesn't matter. Same on Defense , it all starts up front. Should go offensive and defensive line early and often in this upcoming draft.
Reply/Quote
My proposed solution:

Coaching - It's time to let Marvin go. I would like to bring in Josh McDaniels. I would like to think his creative mind and experience under Belichick can do wonders for the Bengals. Offense can thrive, we could expose other team's weaknesses, and I would hope that he could better prepare the team for primetime games (games where New England seems to thrive).

Offense - it depends where we draft, but I think we need to start reinforcing the line. All the offense is dependent on your line. Look at how New England and Dallas have done so well this year. Their RBs have huge holes to run through and their QBs have all day to throw. So I would avoid any playmaker position at this point and just focus on the line.

Defense - Given our current record, I think we will have a top 10 pick, possibly top 5. Similar to the OLine issue, I think the pick needs to be on the DLine. Yes we have holes at LB and in the secondary, but similar to the offense, those players cannot be exposed if we had a DLine that could apply pressure. Instead, this year we have no push and the our secondary is forced to cover guys a longer than they should be. So I think the top pick needs to either replace MJ or Peko. Billings may be that guy next year, so I think we draft a DE to replace MJ.

Overall, I think we let Marvin go and get McDaniels. Then we invest 3 or 4 of our top picks in OLine and DLine players. Do our Bengals thing and sign a few vets to fill other holes like LB, WR, S, and K. I think that would go a long way to hopefully bring the Bengals back to prominence and open a new window to getting that elusive playoff win.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:50 AM)kevin Wrote: A Top Pick LT.....and a Top Pick LB.......and we need depth across the board which means we can not keep Dalton and McCarron if we get a good trade offer.....LT and LB to start and Peko's age means DT becoming a need.  ...Is Kicker Now A Need ????.......I would think many kickers undrafted to bring in for try outs in 2017.......Fans not happy with Bodine......We could use a star WR to go with Green....but we can not block. That has been the big problem in 2016. We can not run block or pass block and if you can not block, you can not win....We lost Andre Smith and who grabbed him was Zimmer in Minnesota.

2016 is what happens when you lose Nelson, Hall, Jones, Sanu, Smith and many others.  Players expected to step in and step up never did.

Well said.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:20 PM)pally Wrote: Jake Fisher is the heir apparent left tackle.  Why do we think he won't be able to do the job?  Center and guards are bigger needs.  We lost people for sure but I keep thinking all the coaching changes especially on defense are our biggest hurdle.

Why do we think Fisher won't be able to do the job? Because RT has been a trainwreck and they haven't tried Fisher there.
Reply/Quote
I'd say all of the coordinator/position coach hirings from this past off-season are safe. No way they fire Zampese after one season. They're going to have to take a long, hard look at Paul Alexander though. There's a technique issue at play here, and new blood is something that the offensive line desperately needs.

As for player needs, where to even begin? The offensive line is a wreck, our secondary is depleted, or linebackers and defensive linemen are underperforming. It's going to take more than a decent draft to fix this team in one year. They'll need to be aggressive during free agency.

Of course, I doubt any of this happens.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:02 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd say all of the coordinator/position coach hirings from this past off-season are safe.  No way they fire Zampese after one season.  They're going to have to take a long, hard look at Paul Alexander though.  There's a technique issue at play here, and new blood is something that the offensive line desperately needs.

As for player needs, where to even begin?  The offensive line is a wreck, our secondary is depleted, or linebackers and defensive linemen are underperforming.  It's going to take more than a decent draft to fix this team in one year.  They'll need to be aggressive during free agency.  

Of course, I doubt any of this happens.

Agree on Alexander! Evan Mathis did an interview several years ago. He was a bench player here, and went to the Eagles and graded out as the best Guard in football.

He basically said that the Eagles line coach was amazing and taught an aggressive blocking approach, where the Bengals had a passive one that let the defensive lineman engage.
Reply/Quote
Number one thing is complete new coaching staff.

Of course we all know..........
Reply/Quote
Game is won or lost in the trenches. That should be obvious watching the 2016 Bengals. Draft accordingly......
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We can draft a DE, RB, Tackle, DT...all of those...but that won't change that fact that we'll get maybe 1 starter Year 1 out of that mix.

I think they'll go for a big splash in Round 1 like Fournette or Peppers. Fournette could turn into Adrian Peterson...but our line is so bad at run blocking that it might not matter.

I see what you are saying but realistically speaking. Bengals aren't the type of team to go for a splash. Rather do team needs and runningback isn't high on the list. I could see us making a run for peppers but all depends where our pick is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote