Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Needs for Next Season
(11-22-2016, 12:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Solid thoughts, so, as most of have maintained, it IS the coaching......

I'm listening to a fantastic podcast on Mo Egger's blog from Peter King interviewing Sam Wyche.  Once finished, I will post a link on a separate thread.

Listening to one of my all-time favorites, Sam Wyche, makes me realize just how much this team needs an innovator.  Someone that gets the players to buy in to his scheme, and catches the rest of the NFL snoozing.  Marvin is 180 degrees from being such a coach....as is Zamp....as is Paulie G.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2016, 02:06 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Good and valid points, but yet for a team that relies on the draft, they have whiffed on last year's top 2 picks, and a 3rd rounder to boot. Year before they whiffed on Dennard in the first round. Dont know yet on WJ3, but if he ends up like a Dennard, then that is 3 straight years of muffing up the top picks in the draft. 

Yeah for quite a few teams that know how to play free agency these would have been good drafts, taking chances on players like Hunt and Ogbebooti who was already on IR. But for a team like the Bengals though, they have not done a good enough job. 

Outside of Eifert, name me one player in the last 5 drafts that is an actual difference maker? Im not talkin about an average starter or rotation guy, but someone that is a top tier sort of player. Burfict was undrafted but they signed him asap after draft was over. Only other one I might consider is Hill, but that is heavily debatable because he needs good blocking to excel. Also maybe Marvin Jones but he is off to greener pastures.  They simply havent  drafted enough top-tier difference makers that they need to.

That said, I do agree on coaching, and not using players like Rex or Gio for that matter in more optimal situations. 

A lot of people would have given up on Whit after his rookie season, and he has had a borderline Hall of Fame career.  Will Fisher and Ced O. reach that level?  I doubt it.  Do I give up on them?  Hell, no.

There aren't a lot of Pro Bowl players that have been drafted in the past five years, I will give you that.  However, they have drafted a lot of starters that, until this year, were in unison one of the best and deepest rosters in the NFL.  We can easily lose sight of how a team can fall apart grasping at straws (FAs) to desperately plug holes in their roster, and typically way overpaying.  By not having any one player that commands a ridiculous $20 million per year, they are able to keep a lot of the "nuts and bolts" pieces of the machine that cost maybe a few million per year.  

I would give anything to see a young version of Sam Wyche take over this team.  I believe the talent is there.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 01:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A lot of people would have given up on Whit after his rookie season, and he has had a borderline Hall of Fame career.  Will Fisher and Ced O. reach that level?  I doubt it.  Do I give up on them?  Hell, no.

There aren't a lot of Pro Bowl players that have been drafted in the past five years, I will give you that.  However, they have drafted a lot of starters that, until this year, were in unison one of the best and deepest rosters in the NFL.  We can easily lose sight of how a team can fall apart grasping at straws (FAs) to desperately plug holes in their roster, and typically way overpaying.  By not having any one player that commands a ridiculous $20 million per year, they are able to keep a lot of the "nuts and bolts" pieces of the machine that cost maybe a few million per year.  

I would give anything to see a young version of Sam Wyche take over this team.  I believe the talent is there.  

Give up on Og? No

Count on Og? No

Need to draft another OT early and this time someone who already knows his technique. Og's draft scouting report warned us about everything we are seeing from him. If Og gets his shit together then he can compete for playing time. Meanwhile, the whole offense doesn't have to suffer while one guys tries to learn.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 02:46 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Give up on Og? No

Count on Og? No

Need to draft another OT early and this time someone who already knows his technique. Og's draft scouting report warned us about everything we are seeing from him. If Og gets his shit together then he can compete for playing time. Meanwhile, the whole offense doesn't have to suffer while one guys tries to learn.

I think it would make more sense to bring in a veteran FA for a couple years.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think it would make more sense to bring in a veteran FA for a couple years.  

We had an opportunity to make a trade and didn't.

Reply/Quote
It's quite funny how it's a year later and our team needs are basically the EXACT same.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2016, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Top to bottom, this team needs an enema.

(11-10-2017, 02:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's quite funny how it's a year later and our team needs are basically the EXACT same.

Cry

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 02:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cry

Yeah...we look at this team and we're like fix the offensive line and we're in the playoffs (which is an oversimplification)...but chances are we won't fix any positions or we'll do the minimum possible.
Reply/Quote
It is funny. I looked at my reply and I still stand by it. I think if and when Marvin Lewis is gone the Bengals should start with fresh uniforms. Especially if Mike Brown were to step down at the end of this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2016, 03:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Good thread I think all the coaches must go.  Maybe keep Paulie.  Hire Josh McDaniels as HC.  They need a new kicker of course everything else you said seems to be spot on.

Others May laugh but I also think they need a new uniform.

In terms of order of need I would say kicker two offensive tackles two linebackers the center a defensive tackle that should about do it.

This.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 04:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is funny.  I looked at my reply and I still stand by it.  I think if and when Marvin Lewis is gone the Bengals should start with fresh uniforms.  Especially if Mike Brown were to step down at the end of this year.

Mike Brown step down?  lol, that'll never happen.  They'll have to peel him out of that place.  Or maybe the court system will take his keys eventually!
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2017, 02:40 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Mike Brown step down?  lol, that'll never happen.  They'll have to peel him out of that place.  Or maybe the court system will take his keys eventually!

As the OWNER Brown ain't goin' anywhere.  I HOPE......he hires a GM... but....the good ones have jobs.

I was reluctant to give up on Marvin but NOW......he's on thin Ice.   We need O-Line Talent and a GOOD O Line Coach.
I'd really look at the coaching. I think our TALENT is better than the results,the record.

While we need BETTER play on the O Line... I'm not sure how much is the PLAYERS and how much is  the system/coaching.
Reply/Quote
The entire front office and coaching staff really needs an outbreak of some deadly, incurable disease and one that kills quickly before medical personnel can arrive. A biological weapon might be helpful. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote