Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team needs
In the draft which was our bigger need. Guard or Tackle?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:46 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: In the draft which was our bigger need. Guard or Tackle?

Guard. We already had Jonah and Riley at Tackle
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:46 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: In the draft which was our bigger need. Guard or Tackle?

Considering Jonah Williams was the best OL last year, and they signed Reiff, a proven veteran at RT, guard was by far the bigger need.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:46 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: In the draft which was our bigger need. Guard or Tackle?

Immediately- guard. Long term - equal.

I give the edge to interior offensive line. Reiff and Williams will be good enough for 2021/2022. We can resign reiff, or another FA next year, draft a OT or kick carmen outside.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With the signing of Reiff and hopefully a healthy Jonah I think Guard was are biggest need. Creating a area where our QB could step up and our tackles can push the edge rushers around the pocket was a must for our passing game.if you are getting pressure up the middle which is what occurred last season it made the edge rushers job so much easier.
Reply/Quote
Guard!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
short term guards ( both) and possibly center ( I'm very skeptical about Price filling in for Hopkins and Hopkins is average)

Long term- tackle. Why I preferred Sewell.

Really wish they has signed the center who went to San Diego or someone like him ( if available) and at least one of the stud free agent guards.

Maybe a bunch of guys will get cut as salary dumps and we can have another shot at quality free agents.
Reply/Quote

I guess it depends how you are going to define your need.

1.  Based on talent - OG.  It's not even close 1st rounders at both tackle spots and really no outstanding guys at OG.'
2.  Based on Long Term - OT.  Rieff at 32 years old and Jonah showing durability issues, there's a need for a guy that can play after next year.
3.  Based on next year alone - OG.  Our interior line sucks.
4.  Based on importance of position - OT.  If either Williams or Reiff goes down, we are in serious trouble.

All in all, they did a good job in the draft.  They should have added a premium OG in free agency.  Had they done that, this line would be less worrisome going into the season,
Reply/Quote

Depends Long term we need both...   We could have Gotten a tackle and move Reiff inside which may prolong his career.

There was multiple ways to improve the OL..

It looks to be improved. But we will likely be looking for another OT next year if Carman stays at OG and reiff doesnt return

For Depth we needed everything.
Reply/Quote
Guard hands down. With two first round picks at tackle it is really not even close. Tackle was not even our second biggest need on the O-line center was and our picks showed that. Next years draft is when we will get a first or second round tackle but I hope we sign Rieff next year if he plays good for us.
Reply/Quote
It was guard, which is why Carman was taken over someone like Cosmi.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 01:38 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Guard hands down. With two first round picks at tackle it is really not even close. Tackle was not even our second biggest need on the O-line center was and our picks showed that. Next years draft is when we will get a first or second round tackle but I hope we sign Rieff next year if he plays good for us.

Not sure on that.
D'Ante Smith was drafted to be a developmental OT, and was taken before Trey Hill, who is going to be a developmental C.
If C was a higher priority for the Bengals, they probably would have gone after a C in Rd 3 like Kendrick Green.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure on that.
D'Ante Smith was drafted to be a developmental OT, and was taken before Trey Hill, who is going to be a developmental C.
If C was a higher priority for the Bengals, they probably would have gone after a C in Rd 3 like Kendrick Green.

Maybe. But OT is a higher value pick then center so they could of taken the OT first because they knew the centers would still be there later. Both OT and C has injury questions.
Reply/Quote
As everyone knows, the interior was definitely the biggest need going into the Draft. Getting Carman and Trey Hill were
great nabs in my opinion and getting an OT to boot to learn behind Reiff and Jonah with D'Ante Smith was icing on the
cake. If Reiff plays well this season which I am expecting we should extend him and also look to add to the trenches in
FA next year and continue to build up the trenches through the Draft.

We could really turn this team around if coaching starts to get decent.
Reply/Quote
One thing I like about Carman is his filling the need at guard along with his potential versatility at filling in at tackle.
Reply/Quote
The depth at T was needed more then the depth at C.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 01:57 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Maybe. But OT is a higher value pick then center so they could of taken the OT first because they knew the centers would still be there later. Both OT and C has injury questions.

They could have.
Personally, I liked the remaining OTs better on Day 3 than I liked the Cs.
I didn't like a single C remaining.

I'm interested to see how Hopkins performs at C in Pollack's scheme.
The last time Pollack was here, Hopkins was playing RG.
If Hopkins doesn't do well, I could see him being a cut candidate next year, as he'd free up $6.2 mill in cap in 2022 with only $1.125 mill dead cap.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Immediate need:  Guard

Long term need (and very important):  RT

Do they have the RT of the future in D'Ante Smith?  We shall see....I really wanted Spencer Brown.  I also wanted Ben Cleveland.  How odd would it have been if I got those two and they lined up at RG and RT?  The jerseys would read:  CLEVELAND   and    BROWN.    Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 02:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Immediate need:  Guard

Long term need (and very important):  RT

Do they have the RT of the future in D'Ante Smith?  We shall see....I really wanted Spencer Brown.  I also wanted Ben Cleveland.  How odd would it have been if I got those two and they lined up at RG and RT?  The jerseys would read:  CLEVELAND   and    BROWN.    Ninja

FLUSH IT DOWN!!!Clev Sux
Reply/Quote
Both, but probably tackle is the more immediate need.

We've got guards on the roster that aren't great, but aren't horrible. And they'd be better with better tackles. Plus, if we get into an issue and need a guard during the season, they're easier to find than a tackle.

At tackle, we've got reiff who looks good on paper, but we don't know how it will work out. At the end of the day he's a vet on a 1-year deal. If he's amazing, that might mean he's gone at the end of the season. If he's horrible, he's probably gone too. And we've jonah who is a very good tackle, but if he can't stay healthy, he's not helping. Right now, we have nobody that can play that spot if jonah goes jonah.

Ideally, we would've drafted a tackle that could take over one of the spots and kicked jonah inside. Guards, on average, have less injuries than tackles. It would've gotten us some value out of him and helped him extend his career.
Reply/Quote