Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team needs/Wants/ Biggest Questions 2023 offseason
(11-08-2022, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Does Mixon's performance against the Falcons change anyone's opinion of whether to find a RB heir in the draft?

I would still draft a RB early in the draft next year! Perine will be a free agent this regardless and having another  capable back wouldn't hurt.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: Right now the Bengals are slated with a mid to late teens pick so some players off the top of my head...

(My favorites from top to bottom)

Cam Smith CB South Carolina
Paris Johnson OT Ohio State
Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson (Might go earlier but could slide. That's why I have him last on the list.)

I've heard a bunch of good things about Olu Fasanu (Spelling? Penn St OT) as a perfect LT for our team. Better Pass Blocker than Run. Biggest negative is the one year of play so I'm curious about your thoughts. 

Out of this list though, I'd prefer Cam Smith if not the OL. As much as I'd like to bring back the local kid, I'm feeling CB might be better. If I was the Bengals though, I'd try to extend Chido this offseason. If they did that, then Mayer or DTs would be on my list.

If we're mid/early, I'd think about making sure to acquire Gervon Lawrence from Florida or maybe the kid from Army if the military accepts his delay in service as a pass rusher.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/player/700/1097172/index.html

Tyree Wilson is a bit older...I think he is a red shirt senior. But he fills the stat sheet up nicely. Across the board he is one of the more balanced...even near the top end in many categories for a DE/EDGE.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Does Mixon's performance against the Falcons change anyone's opinion of whether to find a RB heir in the draft?

I really don't think it does.  The pass pro issues are still there and age/wear and tear is also a factor.  Ideally, I'd like to get one in the first 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 11:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: I really don't think it does.  The pass pro issues are still there and age/wear and tear is also a factor.  Ideally, I'd like to get one in the first 3 rounds.

Someone to keep an eye on is Blake Corum from Michigan.
In the words of his HC, "He can protect, he can block, he can catch out of the backfield. He's a five-tool running back - does it all."
About the only detriment to Corum is his size. He's as small, or maybe even a bit smaller, than Gio Bernard.
He's fast and very shifty.
He's already at 1224 yards from scrimmage and 17 total TDs this season in 9 games. Plus, his pass block rating is 4th among all RBs, with a score of 81.3.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 08:25 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I've heard a bunch of good things about Olu Fasanu (Spelling? Penn St OT) as a perfect LT for our team. Better Pass Blocker than Run. Biggest negative is the one year of play so I'm curious about your thoughts. 

I had not heard of Olumuyiwa Fashanu yet and I'm not surprised considering he only had 1 game before this year lol. I haven't seen him yet but after a quick google I seen this picture...

[Image: Fashanu_11-8_muND4.jpg]

So I'm looking forward to watching him...I wonder if he decides to go back to school and aim for a top 5 pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 08:25 PM)Synric Wrote: So I'm looking forward to watching him...I wonder if he decides to go back to school and aim for a top 5 pick.

I could see that. I guess the question to ask then is if he was such a touted recruit, why did he get stuck behind Rasheed Walker for those 2 years? I remember being higher on Walker than others on this board but I don't think he's doing anything on the field in the NFL right now.
Reply/Quote
My biggest Qs: LT, SS, TE
Wants: Speed rusher, OT (new LT and dinged up RT), CB
Reply/Quote
Pass rush is this team's biggest need. Joe can make it work for one more year of Williams/Collins at the tackles. Obviously you don't pass on an offensive tackle if a guy you love falls that far in the draft, but they desperately need to get to the quarterback more.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals definitely want to add a pass rusher. Rumors were that the Bengals were about the pounce on Karlaftis. Judging by how Duke and Mike Potts talked after the draft, it was clear that their draft didn't go the way they wanted.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
OT, DE, RB, TE are top needs pretty much in that order. Good LB wouldn't hurt either.

That said if a top CB falls in your lap, you take them.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 09:22 PM)Goalpost Wrote: http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/player/700/1097172/index.html

Tyree Wilson is a bit older...I think he is a red shirt senior.  But he fills the stat sheet up nicely.  Across the board he is one of the more balanced...even near the top end in many categories for a DE/EDGE.

Saw this guy play one game and he was everywhere, stopping the run for losses, sacking the QB etc.

Looks like a big Micah Parsons at End out there, a freak. 6'6" 275 lbs. Sign me up for drafting Tyree Wilson. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 08:25 PM)Synric Wrote: I had not heard of Olumuyiwa Fashanu yet and I'm not surprised considering he only had 1 game before this year lol. I haven't seen him yet but after a quick google I seen this picture...

[Image: Fashanu_11-8_muND4.jpg]

So I'm looking forward to watching him...I wonder if he decides to go back to school and aim for a top 5 pick.

He is returning to Penn State his final year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think Bengals need DE as they do not get enough sacks and unfortunately Ossai is not the same yet as his first rookie game. Also, seems Hendrickson never gets the holding calls and he is mugged by OL holding his freaking neck.

I also think CB will be target late first round maybe second.

As much as i would like to replace J Williams, he has played better and knowing this organization will probably get 5th year ext.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 03:15 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Bengals need DE as they do not get enough sacks and unfortunately Ossai is not the same yet as his first rookie game.  Also, seems Hendrickson never gets the holding calls and he is mugged by OL holding his freaking neck.

I also think CB will be target late first round maybe second.  

As much as i would like to replace J Williams, he has played better and knowing this organization  will probably get 5th year ext.

Why are you thinking CB?
Bengals have Awuzie through next year and Hilton through 2024. On top of that, CTB is getting some good playing time the rest of this season to develop into a starter.
If the thought is to groom a CB for a year before taking over for Awuzie, that would be about the only thing I can think of that would make logical sense.

Bengals already picked up Jonah's 5th year option btw.
So he's very likely the starter next year.
If an OT is picked up, I would expect it's going to be in the draft and have that player sit for a year until Jonah finishes his final year. I could also see Jonah getting tagged for 2024 if he does well in 2023.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why are you thinking CB?
Bengals have Awuzie through next year and Hilton through 2024. On top of that, CTB is getting some good playing time the rest of this season to develop into a starter.
If the thought is to groom a CB for a year before taking over for Awuzie, that would be about the only thing I can think of that would make logical sense.

If an OT is picked up, I would expect it's going to be in the draft and have that player sit for a year until Jonah finishes his final year. I could also see Jonah getting tagged for 2024 if he does well in 2023.

Although Apple is doing well he is inconsistent and, I think Bengals need another CB.  Williams out of syracuse would be my guess if they go that way.  I also think they may not reup Awuzie because they have to sign Reader, Burrow, Higgins....

They need to hit on another OL in later rounds for depth.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 05:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Although Apple is doing well he is inconsistent and, I think Bengals need another CB.  Williams out of syracuse would be my guess if they go that way.  I also think they may not reup Awuzie because they have to sign Reader, Burrow, Higgins....

They need to hit on another OL in later rounds for depth.  

You really think they are going to retain Higgins?
I think it's extremely likely he wants to go be WR1 on another team (or at least paid like one).
Also, I don't think Bengals can afford to dish out so much $$ for a NT once they have Burrow and Chase under veteran contracts.

Bottom line is we are going to see at least 4 of the following guys walk within the next couple years to make room for $80+ mill in cap for Burrow and Chase every year:
- Higgins
- Boyd
- Hurst
- Williams
- Bell
- Wilson
- Reader
- Awuzie
- Pratt

(Not even including Bates since he's almost assuredly gone after this season)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why are you thinking CB?

Agree, I think Corner should be fine. Expecting an Edge or a skill player early.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 03:12 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: He is returning to Penn State his final year.

I seen that. I actually dove into his Ohio State game and damn that kid is really really talented. You can tell hes a little raw but wow the athleticism jumps off the film. If Olu plays 2023 like 2022 he will be a top 5 pick in 2024.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Talking corners I really like that kid from Illinois Devon Witherspoon.

Reply/Quote