Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Team needs more balance
Ever since the 49ers game the run game is non existent and teams are completely selling out to stop Joe. The Titans knew exactly what we were wanting to do on Saturday and sold out to get to Joe.

I'm all for a passing identity for this team, but we can't just completely abandon the run. Joe needs to be put under center more and at least give the defense the illusion that we are going to power run it at times. Then you can use play action as well.

There needs to be some kind of balance. I really think this is the key to beating the Chiefs.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
1. I don't disagree with you. You're spot on.

2. However, I view the running game from Saturday similarly to the passing game. The Titans dline just totally wrecked anything we wanted to do. Obviously I don't think we'll be in that same situation this week. It sure would be nice for Mixon to have another 30 carry game to keep Mahomes off of the field.

3. If we play the Rams in the super bowl, A-A-Ron Donald may have 75 sacks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree but the runs got to be working for you as well. If you can't move the ball and are forced to throw then thats what you do. Unfortunately thats the way it's felt lately.

Id be very happy to see them have some success early moving the ball on the ground. Keep pace of play slow and keep Mahomes off the field.

At the end of the day though a win is a win and I'll take it in any form it happens.
Reply/Quote
Last season we concentrated FA on defense. We brought in Awouzie, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Apple, B J Hill ( trade) and Hilton. This roster needed a massive overhaul. If you look at the 8 teams left in the divisional rounds none were far off last year like us. If we are going to get to the next level we have another strong draft and free agency run. But let’s be serious. If they can run the ball teams aren’t going to have an answer for this offense.
Reply/Quote
Are you people ever happy ?

It's a fair question. Bengals are in the Championship Game. Yet you are still batching and moaning.

Are you people ever happy about anything in Life ??? I'm not be sarcastic. I'm being serious.

I'm very happy about Bengals in Championship, and I can't comprehend people that are still unhappy.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 10:54 AM)wcu Wrote: 1. I don't disagree with you. You're spot on.

2. However, I view the running game from Saturday similarly to the passing game. The Titans dline just totally wrecked anything we wanted to do. Obviously I don't think we'll be in that same situation this week. It sure would be nice for Mixon to have another 30 carry game to keep Mahomes off of the field.

3. If we play the Rams in the super bowl, A-A-Ron Donald may have 75 sacks.

Don't get me wrong, the Titans defensive line was REALLY good, but they knew what was coming and it makes their job a lot easier. Hell, Mixon even tipped them off before the game talking about how much Joe was going to throw during the week. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:10 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Last season we concentrated FA on defense. We brought in Awouzie, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Apple, B J Hill ( trade) and Hilton. This roster needed a massive overhaul. If you look at the 8 teams left in the divisional rounds none were far off last year like us. If we are going to get to the next level we have another strong draft and free agency run. But let’s be serious. If they can run the ball teams aren’t going to have an answer for this offense.

We are in the AFC Championship game. I’d say we already are at the next level.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:09 AM)motoarch Wrote: I agree but the runs got to be working for you as well.  If you can't move the ball and are forced to throw then thats what you do.  Unfortunately thats the way it's felt lately.  

Id be very happy to see them have some success early moving the ball on the ground.  Keep pace of play slow and keep Mahomes off the field.

At the end of the day though a win is a win and I'll take it in any form it happens.

The run works better when Joe is under center. You can play action off of it as well. I dont think Joe was under center once in the first half. They started doing it more to the Titans in the second half and it was producing at times a bit. The shotgun handoffs just have not worked for this team lately. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:15 AM)kevin Wrote: Are you people ever happy ?  

It's a fair question.  Bengals are in the Championship Game. Yet you are still batching and moaning.

Are you people ever happy about anything in Life ???   I'm not be sarcastic. I'm being serious.

I'm very happy about Bengals in Championship, and I can't comprehend people that are still unhappy.

What the hell is the point of a message board if you can't talk about the game, strategies, and what worked and didn't work for the team? 

Seriously man, if you want constant rainbows and butterflies go watch an episode of Mr. Rodgers. Some of us like to talk football around here. 
Reply/Quote
It IS vital for the Bengals to establish the rushing attack versus the Chiefs. Not only will it result in longer drives keeping Mahommes and company off the field, delaying the prospects of him finding a rhythm, but it will also give our much maligned OL a chance to gain a little confidence, and hopefully find their footing in pass pro.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They couldn’t run on them
In the first half. It opened up more in the second half and tge only TD bengals scored was rushing.

That was the best D in the league and Joe almost had 4 yards a carry.

Hard to be upset, but Bengal fans still find a damn way. When tgey need it it will be there
Reply/Quote
Since that week 14 game, Cincinnati is 3rd in passing % with a 68/32 split. Kansas City is right on their heels with a 67/33 split. In that same timespan, they are 6th in EPA per dropback, even accounting for sacks. On the rushing side, they are 21st in EPA per rush attempt. This including the playoff games as well.

They haven't completely abandoned the run, but they are embracing the identity of this team and that is to be a team that throws the ball all over the yard. This team simply does not have a good enough run game to keep Mahomes off the field and on top of that, rushing isn't very important in the playoffs. By far the biggest predictor of playoff success is passing performance. It isn't even close. There was a lot of this logic going around for the Raiders game, that Cincinnati had to be a run heavy team to beat LV and neutralize Maxx. Then, the passing offense plays fantastic and the running game lays a dud while Cincinnati ran a 63/37 split.

The only key to victory, IMO, is to let the passing game cook. Yes, I agree, don't COMPLETELY abandon the run (as in, don't pass 100% of the time) but this game won't be won by trying to run the ball. It's the playoffs where QB and passing performance is king, the Bengals have the best chance by keeping the ball in Burrow's hands and keep doing what they are doing.
Reply/Quote

It's a fair question.  Bengals are in the Championship Game. Yet you are still batching and moaning.

Are you people ever happy about anything in Life ???   I'm not be sarcastic. I'm being serious.

There's that motto out there... "There's always room for improvement".
Reply/Quote

What an ironic post from someone notorious for long winded walls of text that might as well be novels.

This is literally a forum for fans to discuss those team which I suppose you think is only for you to post epic novels when you see fit.

God forbid other fans post topics that interest them.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:37 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Since that week 14 game, Cincinnati is 3rd in passing % with a 68/32 split. Kansas City is right on their heels with a 67/33 split. In that same timespan, they are 6th in EPA per dropback, even accounting for sacks. On the rushing side, they are 21st in EPA per rush attempt. This including the playoff games as well.

They haven't completely abandoned the run, but they are embracing the identity of this team and that is to be a team that throws the ball all over the yard. This team simply does not have a good enough run game to keep Mahomes off the field and on top of that, rushing isn't very important in the playoffs. By far the biggest predictor of playoff success is passing performance. It isn't even close. There was a lot of this logic going around for the Raiders game, that Cincinnati had to be a run heavy team to beat LV and neutralize Maxx. Then, the passing offense plays fantastic and the running game lays a dud while Cincinnati ran a 63/37 split.

The only key to victory, IMO, is to let the passing game cook. Yes, I agree, don't COMPLETELY abandon the run (as in, don't pass 100% of the time) but this game won't be won by trying to run the ball. It's the playoffs where QB and passing performance is king, the Bengals have the best chance by keeping the ball in Burrow's hands and keep doing what they are doing.

Do you have a stat for Burrow under center vs in the gun before and after week 14? 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Do you have a stat for Burrow under center vs in the gun before and after week 14? 

Yes sir, I do. A slight increase after. Up through week 14, the Bengals ran 49.7% of their plays out of shotgun. After week 14, they have ran 53% of their plays out of shotgun.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 10:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ever since the 49ers game the run game is non existent and teams are completely selling out to stop Joe. The Titans knew exactly what we were wanting to do on Saturday and sold out to get to Joe.

I'm all for a passing identity for this team, but we can't just completely abandon the run. Joe needs to be put under center more and at least give the defense the illusion that we are going to power run it at times. Then you can use play action as well.

There needs to be some kind of balance. I really think this is the key to beating the Chiefs.

I don't disagree with you in a general overall sense. However we're going hafta go balls to the wall to have a chance vs. KC and that means airing it out more than running.

It would be nice to get some quality runs here and there 5-7 yards kinda stuff. But it's up to Joe and his QBing to take it home.

And we hafta find a way to limit Kelce again.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 10:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ever since the 49ers game the run game is non existent and teams are completely selling out to stop Joe. The Titans knew exactly what we were wanting to do on Saturday and sold out to get to Joe.

Except they didn't "sell out"

They were getting pressure with 4 man rushes.  Burrow was 5-5 against the blitz.  

We were't going to be able to run the ball against the Titans.  Their front was too good.  The Bengals have been able to win games in spite of the O-line.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except they didn't "sell out"

They were getting pressure with 4 man rushes.  Burrow was 5-5 against the blitz.  

We were't going to be able to run the ball against the Titans.  Their front was too good.  The Bengals have been able to win games in spite of the O-line.  

You can sell out as a defensive lineman on rushing the passer if you know we aren't going to run. Defensive lines hold accountability for both the pass rush and stopping the run. They pinned their ears back and rushed hard the entire game without the worry of having to stop our run game. 
Reply/Quote
How many times was Mixon hit in the backfield before he even made it to the line of scrimmage? Do you think the O-line that was getting pushed around all game long trying to pass protect didnt have the same problems trying to open up holes in the running game?
Reply/Quote