Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
TeamPitts
(04-27-2021, 04:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is a better comparison than those that try to make him out to be the next Calvin Johnson, but you glossed over an important stat:  the short shuttle.  If you are going to talk about his 10 yard split being barely faster than Chase, you have to acknowledge that he is a full .36 seconds slower than Chase, who is the fastest in that measure in the entire draft.  

Short area quickness and explosiveness (vertical, plus the speed) are two things that Chase also has well over Pitts.  

Again, to be clear, I think Pitts is a great prospect, but I like Chase better for this team.  

If looking for just a WR, I agree. But Pitts can also obviously play TE. He's far more versatile than any of the Top 3 WRs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was listening to Sirius interview Evan MaPherson (Kicker/UF) the other day and the talk turned to Pitts. He said Pitts is a better person than player and when he first saw him; he had doubts that he'd even make the team; Said he was a big nerd:

[Image: uu4ykwah6olzaaprbjbe]

I'd love to have Pitts at #5
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I've said it from day one. Pitts would have a much greater impact on this offense than Chase could ever have.

Pitts, as a TE, is a nightmare for any DC. You can't cover him with a S or LB. If you bring in a CB, it should be much easier to run the ball. Let's face it, we've never seen a TE with the size/speed/wingspan combo that he has.
Reply/Quote
There's a lot of reasons I want Pitts but I just wanted to point out something in particular, specifically how it relates to Chase.

A quality TE more often than not has a longer career span than does a WR. Pitts is such a physical freak that I think this rings true for him even more than most. Even if slows a tad, or he loses a bit of agility once he gets into his 30's, he's still 6'6. Lowered speed and agility from his ridiculous starting point still most likley leaves him perfectly capable of producing at his position.

Now, when you take a look at WR it's a little bit different of a story. Many of them start to drop in play once they reach 30, and the vast majority of them fall off the cliff once they hit 32. If someone like Chase loses some speed or agility he very easily becomes just another 6'1 receiver. His measurables aren't that far and above his peers as Pitts are to his.

Take a look at some of the best Tight Ends that have played in this league (what Pitts projects to be), and look at the age when they retired or they currently are:

Tony Gonzalez - 37
Antonio Gates - 38
Jason Witten - 38
Greg Olson - 35
Shannon Sharpe - 35
Gronk - 31 (Still playing)
Jimmy Graham - 34 (Still playing)
Travis Kelce - 31 (still playing and just put up career highs. 30 and and 31 were better than anything from rookie year until 29)

Note: This is way down my list for why I want Pitts over Chase (or Sewell). But it's something I haven't seen mentioned yet so I thought I'd add it to the conversation.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 07:11 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I've said it from day one.  Pitts would have a much greater impact on this offense than Chase could ever have.

Pitts, as a TE, is a nightmare for any DC.  You can't cover him with a S or LB.  If you bring in a CB, it should be much easier to run the ball.  Let's face it, we've never seen a TE with the size/speed/wingspan combo that he has.

Hot Pockets!! you got my vote..
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Enough with the Sewell vs Chase threads.
Where my fellow #TeamPitts crew at?!

Pitts is projected by multiple known draft experts as the top prospect after Trevor Lawrence.
Daniel Jeremiah on NFL.com has him as #2 overall.
TheDraftNetwork has Pitts #2 overall as well.
PFF has Pitts rated 5th, ahead of Chase.
ProFootballNetwork has him at 4th overall.

The comparison is a safer Darren Waller, who has put up an average of 1170 yards and 6 TDs each season since given a full-time starting role with the Raiders.

NFL Analyst Matt Bowen compared Pitts to Plaxico Burress, which is a fair comparison due to size, but Pitts is actually faster and heavier than Plax.

He has the versatility to play inline TE, in the slot, and even outside WR, as he did with Florida.

Let's get the hype back up for this guy!!

Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey

If available, the Bengals should take the best player available at #5. I do think he will be available. He has the added bonus of help on the OL, at least on running formations. They need help.
After him, Bengals get serious picking OT, OG and C.
Reply/Quote
I've come to the conclusion that if QBs go picks 1-4, we need to find a way to trade up to picks 6 and 7 after we pick at 5. Pitts is the biggest mismatch of this draft who can have the biggest impact for the team, but I also want Chase and Sewell in stripes...
Reply/Quote
Yeah let's burn a draft pick on a position we rarely utilize. Worked out well in the past.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:02 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Yeah let's burn a draft pick on a position we rarely utilize. Worked out well in the past.

Then why draft a LT.... Thats about the least utilized position on the team   Whatever
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:02 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Yeah let's burn a draft pick on a position we rarely utilize. Worked out well in the past.

I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think this team could alter their offensive strategy after drafting a player like Pitts....

Turn all those Sample drops from last year into catches and we possibly win a few more games.
Reply/Quote
Portland[NBA] once thought a center was more important than a shooting guard in terms of value of position. If we can't integrate one of the best prospects in the last thirty years at his position, that would bother me, if that's the reason.
Reply/Quote

If Zac doesnt know how to incorporate the skills of Pitts 
In.the offense then.he is dumber  then we thought 
I.didnt know coaches with offensive backgrounds were married
To a particular system.
I.thought creative offense minds were able to adapt their playbook to the talent provided to them by the front.office 
Reply/Quote
Pitts is going to make someone a solid #2 receiver.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:42 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Portland[NBA] once thought a center was more important than a shooting guard in terms of value of position.  If we can't integrate one of the best prospects in the last thirty years at his position, that would bother me, if that's the reason.

Eh, no offense, but that's a bit of a reach.

Pitts defenders laud his receiving grades. And, yup, they're solid. But... the dude is a TE. If Jordy Nelson entered the draft as a TE, dude would have been a GENERATIONAL TALENT THAT ANYONE WOULD BE CRRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYY to pass on. But Jordy was a WR and a decent one. 

Pitts is a decent WR who got played as a TE and the hype is that he's a GENERATIONAL TALENT THAT ANYONE WOULD BE CRRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYY to pass on.

Pitts blocking isn't super impressive. He looks like a WR blocking someone who has 50+ lbs on him.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:14 AM)Benton Wrote: Pitts defenders laud his receiving grades. And, yup, they're solid. But... the dude is a TE. If Jordy Nelson entered the draft as a TE, dude would have been a GENERATIONAL TALENT THAT ANYONE WOULD BE CRRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYY to pass on. But Jordy was a WR and a decent one. 

Height
Pitts - 6'6
Nelson - 6'3

Weight
Pitts - 246 pounds
Nelson - 217 pounds

40 Time
Pitts - 4.44
Nelson - 4.51

Vertical
Pitts - 33.5"
Nelson - 31"

Age (at time of these measurements)
Pitts - 20
Nelson - 22

Depsite being (slightly over) 3 inches taller and almost 30 pounds heavier, Pitts is faster can jump higher than Nelson did, and is two years younger.  I would include that he's stronger too, or that his wingspan is ridiculous but Jordan Nelson doesn't have those numbers available from his combine.

Fwiw, I somewhat understand your point (that if he can't block then he's just a huge WR) but this seems like a poor comparison.  If anything, it only further strengthens the argument that Kyle Pitts is a very unique type of prospect.
Reply/Quote

1) Sample had the third-most offensive snaps out of every offensive player (80.67%), so they clearly like to keep a TE on the field.
2) Pitts should be used in a hybrid role where he plays not only TE but also WR. That should keep his reps and opportunities up.

If you take Pitts, it's because you'd plan to use him accordingly. If you want a TE who is primarily a blocker, no reason to take Pitts. But the two teams who played in the Super Bowl had arguably the two best TEs of the past decade, and it's because of their receiving abilities, not because of their blocking.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:14 AM)Benton Wrote: Eh, no offense, but that's a bit of a reach.

Pitts defenders laud his receiving grades. And, yup, they're solid. But... the dude is a TE. If Jordy Nelson entered the draft as a TE, dude would have been a GENERATIONAL TALENT THAT ANYONE WOULD BE CRRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYY to pass on. But Jordy was a WR and a decent one. 

Pitts is a decent WR who got played as a TE and the hype is that he's a GENERATIONAL TALENT THAT ANYONE WOULD BE CRRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYY to pass on.

Pitts blocking isn't super impressive. He looks like a WR blocking someone who has 50+ lbs on him.

Pitts put up 770-12 in just 8 games, 1 of which he got hurt in, so he didn't even play the whole game.
If he had been able to play the full 13 games, he was projected at 1251 yards and 19 TDs.
If he had exceeded 1000 yards and 15 TDs (which would have been extremely likely), people wouldn't even be thinking twice about him at 5.

Stop focusing on the blocking. He's a willing blocker and decent at it. Also, the era of a premiere blocking TE is outdated. Get a better OL and you don't need your TE to block all the time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think this team could alter their offensive strategy after drafting a player like Pitts....

Turn all those Sample drops from last year into catches and we possibly win a few more games.

According to playerprofiler.com, Sample ran 408 routes last year, 11th most among TEs in the league.
However, he only received 53 targets, targets per route run was 13%, which was 115th.
I would imagine that a guy like Pitts would receive far more targets if he was sent on 408 routes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That is in regards to him being an elite blocking TE. He's still a solid blocker. He just isn't considered a dominant blocker from the TE position.

What you get from Pitts that you don't get from the "big 3" WRs is someone with a gigantic catch radius and who would be the best high pointing the ball. Think of Mike Evans in terms of how he plays the game. He's faster than Evans though. He's not quite as fast as Chase or Waddle (or possibly Smith), but he's way bigger. So what you don't quite get in the speed, you get in size and catch radius. Burrow should have no problem getting the ball to him.

His coach in an interview the other day referred to his blocking as a work in progress and that he got "throw around" when asked to block.  That is hardly what I call a solid blocker and that was in college.  

Again, still a very solid prospect, but I don't want him over Chase or Sewell.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 04:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If looking for just a WR, I agree. But Pitts can also obviously play TE. He's far more versatile than any of the Top 3 WRs.

I don't see him as a guy that can line up outside and go vertical, but I hear what you are saying.  But, it remains that as a TE, his blocking isn't good.  And if that doesn't develop, he will be limited.  

Heck of an athlete and prospect, but (again) I have him behind Chase and Sewell, both.  
Reply/Quote