Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ted Karras Extended One Year
Nice move!

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-roster-moves-ted-karras-extended-kris-jenkins-signed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good move for sure. Maybe they draft his understudy next year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
They signed kris Jenkins today as well

I wonder f Joe knew about this yesterday. He seldomly posts on Instagram but yesterday he went with this

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Strong move by the Bengals, and one that likely didn't break the bank.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 10:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Strong move by the Bengals, and one that likely didn't break the bank.

I like the duration as well. Ted is still playing at a good level, but is also 31, so don’t want to push it out to far.

This also ensures that most of our offensive line (exception of T Brown, who we drafted his backup) will be in tact for the next 2 years.
Reply/Quote
Outstanding!
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 10:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I like the duration as well.  Ted is still playing at a good level, but is also 31, so don’t want to push it out to far.

This also ensures that most of our offensive line (exception of T Brown, who we drafted his backup) will be in tact for the next 2 years.

OL is likely the position group that most players are able to play well into their 30s, provided that they take care of themselves and stay relatively injury free.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 11:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: OL is likely the position group that most players are able to play well into their 30s, provided that they take care of themselves and stay relatively injury free.

Yes, but Karras is also a good not great center. Keeping him allows for the continued continuity, but also hedges against any downfall as well as being able to upgrade center. His OL versatility keeps options open for improvement (could move to LG, if they draft a C next year (as an example)), but de-risks any sort of large fall off from the OL position group in 2025. Here is to hoping they are finally a top 12 unit in a very long time.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 09:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good move for sure. Maybe they draft his understudy next year.

They may already have in Matt Lee.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of this move because it helps provide insurance in case Matt Lee doesn't come along his first year and the Bengals aren't forced to reach for a Billy Price type of guy because of pure need in next year's draft.
If there's a really good C prospect early in the draft, get him knowing Karras can be the starter in 2025 while that player is groomed.

In a perfect world though, Matt Lee ends up being that guy in the next year or two and the Bengals can save a draft pick or FA signing to go toward another position.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Congrats Ted... well earned
Reply/Quote
It's fine.

Love Teddy K and everything he's about...but he's getting older and his play on the field hasn't been great. Fair to wonder if his best years are behind him. Hopefully it's a value deal.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Gives them the opportunity to kick the tires on Matt Lee next year, if he shows promise.

If not, Ted steps back in and nothing is lost, beyond him aging a year.
Reply/Quote
I like the move. Bengals FO shows they are not laser focused just on WR room. It also allows Lee time to develop and learn from Karras.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Teddy's Cincy hat shows some love to vintage Bengals

https://thecincyhat.com/products/cincy-tiger-artist-series-by-hollis-strunk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Grats to Karras and I'm glad he remains a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm a fan of this move because it helps provide insurance in case Matt Lee doesn't come along his first year and the Bengals aren't forced to reach for a Billy Price type of guy because of pure need in next year's draft.
If there's a really good C prospect early in the draft, get him knowing Karras can be the starter in 2025 while that player is groomed.

In a perfect world though, Matt Lee ends up being that guy in the next year or two and the Bengals can save a draft pick or FA signing to go toward another position.

IDK, I'm hoping that he grows and develops, but I just don't see his body style and playing strengths being much of a good fit for an AFCN team.

Quote:Strengths
  • Pass protection technique and success rate are above average.
  • Plays with inside hands and above-average core strength.
  • Absorbs contact and is rarely ever jolted off-balance.
  • Good job of resetting hands and opening ankles/hips to anchor.
  • Stays square and lands with decent pop in his gallop step in the run game.
  • Continues to move his feet to stay connected with a moving defender.
Weaknesses
  • Weighed in at just 288 pounds at the East-West Shrine Bowl.
  • Could struggle against bull rushers with plus length.
  • Fits up run blocks without much knee bend.
  • Can't generate the drive power to clear out traffic in the middle.
  • Has trouble locking in and landing on targets in space.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope the trainers are able to add a few pounds of muscle in Lee's legs and ass. He kind of looked like a great high school kid in college, but college ain't the big leagues..Pros could chew him up looking like that so I'm glad Ted's going to be around awhile anyway.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: IDK, I'm hoping that he grows and develops, but I just don't see his body style and playing strengths being much of a good fit for an AFCN team.

Matt Lee measured at 6'4", 301 lbs at the Combine.
He has >32" arm length.
He is reported to have great core strength and good foundational pass protection skills.
His RAS was 8.66.

Compare him to Ravens C and many people's favorite C prospect in last year's draft, Tyler Linderbaum.
Linderbaum had a 8.82 RAS.
Linderbaum measured at 6'2", 296 lbs.
Arm length just above 31".

Last year, Linderbaum played 917 offensive snaps, allowing 0 sacks and 15 total pressures.
He bulked up to 305 lbs between that year's Combine and the start of the season when they did weigh-ins.

I'm not saying Matt Lee will be exactly Linderbaum or is quite as athletic as him (TL is elite athletically compared to Lee being good), but there are a lot of similarities.
Let's give the guy a chance to show what he's got before writing him off.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 12:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's fine.

Love Teddy K and everything he's about...but he's getting older and his play on the field hasn't been great. Fair to wonder if his best years are behind him. Hopefully it's a value deal.

He was fantastic down the stretch last season.

Reply/Quote