Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee Higgins, down the road in '24?
I hope we can get something good from letting him go. I never saw how we could keep Tee, Burrow and Chase. It would just eat up too much cap space.

I love Tee but he is injury prone, he has had hamstring issues with us since year one. He's a game changer though thats for sure and only hope he goes to the NFC. I would hate to see him with another AFC North team.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 07:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: I hope we can get something good from letting him go. I never saw how we could keep Tee, Burrow and Chase. It would just eat up too much cap space.

I love Tee but he is injury prone, he has had hamstring issues with us since year one. He's a game changer though thats for sure and only hope he goes to the NFC. I would hate to see him with another AFC North team.

I would hate to see him in the AFC at all. Especially KC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 07:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Have you seen our pass rush? Neither has many opposing QB’s.

They need a good 3T in the worst way.

And we need a RB, too. 
And a balloon tied to a squirrel to replace Nick Scott. 
Once the O-line is done, other things can be addressed, as they should. Run game needs run blockers and the franchise QB needs to be protected by people better than the likes of Volson and the Good Game/Bad Game Boys. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 07:53 PM)Destro Wrote: And we need a RB, too. 
And a balloon tied to a squirrel to replace Nick Scott. 
Once the O-line is done, other things can be addressed, as they should. Run game needs run blockers and the franchise QB needs to be protected by people better than the likes of Volson and the Good Game/Bad Game Boys. 

I’d love to replace Volson, but I don’t think they will. OT is probably much more likely if Jonah leaves.

Reply/Quote
I was in the camp of signing Tee long term. I am still in the camp but only at a discounted price which won’t happen. The guy is too fragile to tie long term big money up and spend money in more critical areas such as in the trenches and RB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I've never thought it possible to sign Higgins and Chase along with Burrow and stay competitive and really hope the Bengals don't try.

Nothing against Tee and really like him, but Chase is better and just don't think all three stars are affordable.

Plus WR's are easier to find in draft. Although don't think they should wait and should use a very early draft pick on his replacement.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
As much as I like Higgins I don't think this team needs to invest the money to keep him. He's a great player, and if we didn't have Chase (who's going to get a huge contract) I would say we would need to keep him. We have a LOT of holes right now that we need to invest into. Jonah probably won't want to be a RT and will leave for a LT job next year. We need a new RB since Mixon isn't a spring chicken anymore. We need to invest in our pass rush and a better safety. We need to invest in our interior OL since they're not cutting it. I don't think we can do all of that even if we don't keep Higgins. We won't be able to do nearly enough if we do keep him. Unless we get a God like draft we need to spend money to fix what holes we have, and the holes are bigger than what the front office wants to think
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 04:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Remember to tag and trade Tee you have first to get his 22.9m tag under the cap while finding a trade. After the trade the Bengals are responsible for half the tag salary of 11.5m dead cap.

Why?  There is no signing bonus attached to the tag as it's pure salary.  The new team would be paying all of his salary.  There's no dead money involved.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 04:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They may as well just let him go and get the comp pick. It'd prob be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

Comp pick would be terrible for Tee.  It would be at best a 3rd rounder and it would be at the end of the 3rd  - so essentially a 4th.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 05:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Panthers and Giants both look like they are gonna end up with top 35 second round picks. I'm sure they can work out a deal to get up to 1st round value from there.

Edit: Panthers picks 33 and 101 would be a great deal lol. It would be the value of about pick #27 and that pick 101 is rhe first pick of day 3 perfect for jumping back up into day 2 considering the Bengals will have 6 day 3 picks of their own.

I don't know that the feeling around the league is that Tee is worth a 1st, especially with the year he's having.  He's not a proven WR1, has had a lot of different injuries, disappears whenever Burrow is out or not his normal self, and is tracking to have a pretty terrible year.  He's currently not even the top WR in FA to me, as I have Evans and Pittman higher.  Plus it's a strong FA WR class, as well.

We know the two sides didn't get close on a deal, so we have to assume that setting a $22-23 million APY floor for another round of negotiations will go nowhere.  That's a ton of cap dollars for a one year rental on a WR2 that could be put towards an elite FA at another position.  If the Giants are giving up their 2nd for a WR, it's to move up and get Harrison.  They already got burned on an injury prone pseudo WR1 in Golladay.  We know Carolina came calling, but we don't know the offer and they've given up so much draft capital for this year and next that I doubt they'll be giving up a 2nd and 4th, especially without seeing who falls.  It's highly likely that you tie up a huge chunk of cap dollars and hamstring yourself in FA just to hope someone panics on draft day.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 11:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't know that the feeling around the league is that Tee is worth a 1st, especially with the year he's having.  He's not a proven WR1, has had a lot of different injuries, disappears whenever Burrow is out or not his normal self, and is tracking to have a pretty terrible year.  He's currently not even the top WR in FA to me, as I have Evans and Pittman higher.  Plus it's a strong FA WR class, as well.

We know the two sides didn't get close on a deal, so we have to assume that setting a $22-23 million APY floor for another round of negotiations will go nowhere.  That's a ton of cap dollars for a one year rental on a WR2 that could be put towards an elite FA at another position.  If the Giants are giving up their 2nd for a WR, it's to move up and get Harrison.  They already got burned on an injury prone pseudo WR1 in Golladay.  We know Carolina came calling, but we don't know the offer and they've given up so much draft capital for this year and next that I doubt they'll be giving up a 2nd and 4th, especially without seeing who falls.  It's highly likely that you tie up a huge chunk of cap dollars and hamstring yourself in FA just to hope someone panics on draft day.

he was well on his way to over 1100 yards if Burrow stayed healthy in 2020

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Reader does return, I can't see it being at $13.25 mill again.
Reader will be 30 next year, which Bengals haven't traditionally signing FAs that old.
Plus, they have so much money already tied up in Hubbard and Hendrickson that they need to go cheaper at DT at some point.
They have soooo much money put into that DL right now, and it's limiting what they can put toward the OL and pass catchers.
Reader will get payed this off season. Nose Tackles that can rush the passer do not grow on trees. The Bengals could consider trading Trey( would save 12.3 million against the cap; would have 7.8 in dead money though) to free up room to sign Reader.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 08:18 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I was in the camp of signing Tee long term.  I am still in the camp but only at a discounted price which won’t happen.  The guy is too fragile to tie long term big money up and spend money in more critical areas such as in the trenches and RB.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Careful saying super "controversial" things like that. There's someone around here will take offense to the idea that Tee is fragile.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 01:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Careful saying super "controversial" things like that. There's someone around here will take offense to the idea that Tee is fragile.

Injuries are a matter of Luck. Deciding to not sign a player off injury history(unless it's a catastrophic injury; which Tee doesn't have ) is not a smart way to go  about business. 

For example look at Jonathan Joseph vs Leon Hall.  Hall didn't miss a game for his first 4 seasons while Joseph missed 13 games.  The Bengals picked Hall over(who later tore both Achilles) over Joseph. 

Another example would be Carlos Dunlap he missed 10 games in his first three seasons but in his next 7 seasons he missed only 2 games.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I fully expect us to tag Tee next season. The big story will be if we actually trade him or keep him. Knowing how Duke likes to operate, I fully expect Tee to not be traded and we just let him walk the following season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 01:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Careful saying super "controversial" things like that. There's someone around here will take offense to the idea that Tee is fragile.

Trae Waynes thinks Tee Higgins gets hurt a lot. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 01:41 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I fully expect us to tag Tee next season. The big story will be if we actually trade him or keep him. Knowing how Duke likes to operate, I fully expect Tee to not be traded and we just let him walk the following season. 

Sadly I think this is exactly what will happen. I just hope he helps us win a Super Bowl to take the sting out of losing him for nothing.

Reply/Quote
The writing was on the wall when they didn't take care of Tee this off-season
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 01:34 AM)J24 Wrote: Injuries are a matter of Luck. Deciding to not sign a player off injury history(unless it's a catastrophic injury; which Tee doesn't have ) is not a smart way to go  about business. 

For example look at Jonathan Joseph vs Leon Hall.  Hall didn't miss a game for his first 4 seasons while Joseph missed 13 games.  The Bengals picked Hall over(who later tore both Achilles) over Joseph. 

Another example would be Carlos Dunlap he missed 10 games in his first three seasons but in his next 7 seasons he missed only 2 games.

Sometimes a serious injury can just be bad luck, but there's a lot of guys just predisposed to either injuries or certain types of injuries.

In the last 5 years Tee Higgins has had 5 hamstring injuries. That's not luck, that's predisposition. He's also had 3 ankle injuries in the last 6 calendar years.

Randomly blowing out your ACL once because a guy rolls up on your legs, or getting a concussion from a brutal helmet-to-helmet hit is a matter of luck. Thomas Davis having 3 ACL tears in 3 years or Vontaze Burfict having 7 concussions in 6 years is not luck.

Some guys just have weaker parts of their body and some guys are just more injury prone.

- - - - - -

As for Dunlap, you might want to check on some of those "missed" games. He was a healthy scratch for those 4 games in his 1st year.

They also didn't pick Hall over Joseph because of injuries but because Joseph wanted more guaranteed money and the Bengals were being real cheap then. Hall was willing to accept the less guaranteed money.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I have always liked Tee. I think when he is healthy, he is an awesome receiver that makes some really good catches. But ever since the whole "not get resigned" deal, it seems like he has had that Carl Pickens look on his face, like he would rather be somewhere else. If any of you old timers remember how the old Bengals locker room cancer was with Carl, that's the last thing we need. I know, this is a different culture than it used to be, let's just hope it stays that way.
Reply/Quote