Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee Higgins going foward.
(03-26-2022, 10:06 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Rewatching the Ravens and Chiefs game on NFL Network last night
I  became more impressed with Tee Higgins.
I know Chase Burrow and Collins are the rock stars of this offense
But Tee Higgins importance to this offense cannot be overstated

He is easily the 2nd best WR in his draft class behind Jefferson.
He made huge strides going from rookie year to 2nd year.
He is the 2nd best WR in the AFC North.
Somehow some way I.dont think the Bengals can afford to let him
Walk and go to another team. Thats the thing though, Tee would be
A #1 for alot of teams in this league.
His skill level is that of AJ Greens. I think he might be a shade better
Than AJ also.
Whats your thoughts on Tee Higgins?
Should the Bengals find a way to pay him.what he is worth
Or do they let him walk and the Bengals lose a very integral part
Of their offensive success

He doesn't quite take over games like AJ did. AJ had the skillset of Tee but more of the playmaking ability of Chase. I'm not complaining at all though about Tee, he is everything you could desire and more out of a WR2 and I would take the combo of Higgins/Chase over just one player like Green anyday. On his own though, AJ>Tee.
Reply/Quote
This thread is bringing me down. Jeez, can't we just enjoy what we have now?

As to Higgins vs. AJ, that is some rare air. But I am definitely targeting him early in my fantasy keeper draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 03:48 PM)jabor Wrote: I definitely like Higgins.

However, Green has something that Higgins doesn't have: another gear that kicks in when a deep ball's in the air. 
In my years of watching the Bengals, only Chris Henry matched (or beat) Green's deep ball speed (Isaac Curtis beat them both but he was truly special).
Unfortunately for Green, he had Dalton, not Palmer or Burrow, for the deep ball.

Henry had Palmer, whose arm gave Slim 15 more yards to separate from coverage. Higgins has Burrow, who has great placement and timing. Green had Dalton, who constantly underthrew or misplaced balls that required significant adjustments by Green. I can't imagine Green's YAC numbers with better ball placement.

Green's numbers would have been scary with a quarterback who better matched his skill set.
Yes Green had a 2nd gear. Only bested by Curtis Henry and Eddie Brown. 
I think the one area of Higgins game people overlook
Is he really is.good at breaking tackles after the catch
I think also Higgins has a little bit more swag in his
Game than Green. I.think at times AJ let CBers
Get in.his head at times. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree.

Recency bias at work.  People remember 2017-20 Green instead of 2011-16.

You all know I am a huge Higgins fan, but he is not as good as AJ.

I do not think he will ever have A.J. top end speed or quickness off the line, but he could improve his catching with better focus and making the catch the 1st priority and the YAC the 2nd. Tee has good hands but think he can improve slightly. Tee improved this year catching the contested ball even if double covered which A.J. use to be great at. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree.

Recency bias at work.  People remember 2017-20 Green instead of 2011-16.

You all know I am a huge Higgins fan, but he is not as good as AJ.

Tee isn't as good as AJ, but there are a LOT of really good WRs that aren't as good as AJ. I will say though, that Tee has had some highlights that could compete with AJ, my favorite being the one where he went over the top of 2 defenders vs BAL. It comes down to consistency, which can be hard to have when you have other guys beside you like Chase and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 02:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know Im the only Bengals fan that would proclaim
Tee Higgins on the same level or a just a tad better
Than A.J.  I understand it. Green is a sure fire Bengals
RoH future menber. 

But A.J's and Tee's 1st 2 years arent that drastic in 
Comparison stats wise. 
The number that sticks out to me are the number of targets over the 2-yrs 
Green 279 
Higgins 218. What if Higgie had that many targets
In his 1st yrs? 
I think overall Higgins has caught a higher% of his targets than Green has over 2-years

A.J only averaged 7 yds more per game in his 2 year
Than Tee. Yeah I know,A.J faced more #1 CBs 
Etc etc. But Tee has shown the same ability to
Take over games as AJ did. 
Jamar had such a dominant rookie year it overshadowed the improvement Tee made in year 2.

I think the Bengals really need to retain Higgins 
He is just as important to this offense as Chase is

I got Higgins over AJ too... Higgins comes up huge in big games. AJ pouted,  fumbled and Disappeared in big games... 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 11:38 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Love the kid and hope it works out but he will have earned more money than Bengals will be able to offer him most likely. 

Him being able to be a #1 on other teams means who could fetch a decent draft pick in trade as well and expect this ultimately be the course of action taken. Doubt Boyd will fetch a good draft pick in trade.

Burrow, Chase, Wilson, Mixon, Jonah, Higgins, Boyd, Collins, and Hendrickson contracts are all coming down the pike and the majority will want raises exhausting the cap. 

Got to pick some fat to trim and then you got to ask what positions can be found in draft for cheap. Burrow, Chase, Wilson, and Jonah aren't going anywhere and doubt Hendrickson or Collins are either, so that leaves Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon as odd men out imo. 

Boyd may go down in pay and be able to stay, but don't see Mixon or Higgins playing below market value. Mixon will have very high mileage by then anyway and the first to go imo.  

Got to enjoy these next few years because stars will have to move on when these guys cash in. 

Does anyone think GB wanted to move on from Adams, or KC from Tyreek Hill, or even Amari Cooper from Cowboys ? 

Adams has been the #1 rated WR in the NFL 2 years in a row ! But choices have to be made when teams have pay their QB
$50 million a year. 

Chase could be odd man out instead of Higgins just like Adams but think since him and Burrow are boys think they some how work it out. 

Think all this is a bad recipe for Higgins. See Bates being out as well. 

Great post. I love Higgins. So much so that he's a big reason I was leaning towards passing on Chase last year (which thank God we didn't do). That said, we now have the problem that the best teams have: We can't afford everyone.

The Chiefs just traded Tyreek for this reason. The Packers traded Adams. Those were their #1 WRs. If they can't keep their #1's, we surely won't be able to keep our #2 who clearly is capable of being a WR1.

It'll suck to see him go, but the smart move would be to trade Higgins for a good pick. We'd almost certainly get a 1st rounder for him, which will be a good value both in trade and contract.

That's the right play with Higgins when the time comes. We might not be able to keep Boyd, either. If we want to keep Burrow and Chase, that's going to take a ridiculous chunk of our cap.

I'd also evaluate this every step of the way, and - don't shoot me - it may eventually make more sense to keep Higgins over Chase if the difference in contract is monumental. I doubt it, but it'd be wise to keep our minds open.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 10:13 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: It would be nice but I just don't think it is realistic unless the cap skyrockets. Will probably play out like Marvin Jones. When the time comes though, they can spend a 1 or 2 on a quality wr that will benefit from playing opposite Chase.

Cap will likely sky rocket. Apple and Amazon are bidding for the Sunday Ticket franchise. Likely be riches for the NFL. Apple was the first trillion dollar market cap so every reason to believe the price for ST will be sky high.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 05:13 PM)Tony Wrote: I got Higgins over AJ too... Higgins comes up huge in big games. AJ pouted,  fumbled and Disappeared in big games... 

For whatever reason AJ simply could not rise to the
Occasion in.the playoffs. I recall vividly vs the Texans
A.J dropped a catchable pass in the end zone. 
AJ had a tendency to put the ball on the ground 
In crucial times.
Reply/Quote
I love Tee, hope he’s a Bengal for life. Him and Ja’Marr and Joe are going to wreak havoc on defenses for years and I can’t wait to watch it.
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins is a poor man's AJ Green. There's nothing wrong with that, and he's a badass player... But he's not prime AJ Green.

As far as keeping Higgins around goes. I hope Joe learned from the Tom Brady Patriots dynasty. Those teams won consistently because Brady didn't gobble up the salary cap. If Burrow truly wants to be the GOAT as he claimed he would be to the refs, he needs to take a page from that playbook.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 06:39 PM)jason Wrote: Tee Higgins is a poor man's AJ Green. There's nothing wrong with that, and he's a badass player... But he's not prime AJ Green.

As far as keeping Higgins around goes. I hope Joe learned from the Tom Brady Patriots dynasty. Those teams won consistently because Brady didn't gobble up the salary cap. If Burrow truly wants to be the GOAT as he claimed he would be to the refs, he needs to take a page from that playbook.

Right

I wouldn't want the man to play for chicken feed (nfl scale). But at the same time if he wants to be paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ while the rest of the team gets $$, it doesn't work very well.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 06:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: For whatever reason AJ simply could not rise to the
Occasion in.the playoffs. I recall vividly vs the Texans
A.J dropped a catchable pass in the end zone. 
AJ had a tendency to put the ball on the ground 
In crucial times.

Dalton put that pass perfect too.. The only playoff game AJ played ok in, was the Steeler Debacle in 2015...
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:04 PM)Tony Wrote: Dalton put that pass perfect too.. The only playoff game AJ played ok in, was the Steeler Debacle in 2015...

Tee has had some dropsies of his own. But I do agree AJ did fade at "some" times when we needed him.

Having said all of that AJ is still a rung above Tee, at this point. I woudn't put it as completely impossible for Tee to pass him.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 10:06 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Rewatching the Ravens and Chiefs game on NFL Network last night
I  became more impressed with Tee Higgins.
I know Chase Burrow and Collins are the rock stars of this offense
But Tee Higgins importance to this offense cannot be overstated

He is easily the 2nd best WR in his draft class behind Jefferson.
He made huge strides going from rookie year to 2nd year.
He is the 2nd best WR in the AFC North.
Somehow some way I.dont think the Bengals can afford to let him
Walk and go to another team. Thats the thing though, Tee would be
A #1 for alot of teams in this league.
His skill level is that of AJ Greens. I think he might be a shade better
Than AJ also.
Whats your thoughts on Tee Higgins?
Should the Bengals find a way to pay him.what he is worth
Or do they let him walk and the Bengals lose a very integral part
Of their offensive success

Man, I want to keep Tee here bad...

I think he is just scratching the surface of what he can do and he grew up a Bengals fan. Young, talented with great size
and crazy potential. Loved the one catch he made last season deep with 2 Ravens draped all over him, I think this was his
I AM HERE moment. Dude is for real.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 11:43 AM)Go Cards Wrote: True but the monetary differences in price tags may balance that out. They may both have to go, but one may be more affordable and we get lucky to keep. 

Plus if Higgins can be a #1 on another team he will probably want to give it a whirl. 

Yet hoping this entire team can stay together, but we all know that's not happening. 

Real deep class at WR this year might be a good idea to pick Boyd's replacement. One slot guy i like really well and recent reports are the Chiefs like him real well also is Skyy Moore.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:05 PM)pulses Wrote: Real deep class at WR this year might be a good idea to pick Boyd's replacement. One slot guy i like really well and recent reports are the Chiefs like him real well also is Skyy Moore.

Our top 3 are real alpha dogs, some of the best in the NFL. After them we take a bit of a nose dive. I'm definitely in on taking a WR in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, I want to keep Tee here bad...

I think he is just scratching the surface of what he can do and he grew up a Bengals fan. Young, talented with great size
and crazy potential. Loved the one catch he made last season deep with 2 Ravens draped all over him, I think this was his
I AM HERE moment. Dude is for real.

Tee reminds me of Mike Williams of the Chargers
Big tall WRs with insane radius that is matchup issue
For other CB.
He really rose to the occasion ln the SB.
Has 2000 yds in his 1st 2 yrs and yet has yet
To play a full season
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:37 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tee reminds me of Mike Williams of the Chargers
Big tall WRs with insane radius that is matchup issue
For other CB.
He really rose to the occasion ln the SB.
Has 2000 yds in his 1st 2 yrs and yet has yet
To play a full season

He's what people wanted Auden Tate to be.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:46 PM)jason Wrote: He's what people wanted Auden Tate to be.

mmmmm, i don't know about that. I shilled for him every bit as much as anyone and i only see/saw him as a #4 possession/red zone receiver. I also don't think he was ever used properly. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote