Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tee Higgins surgery?
(04-15-2022, 11:49 AM)Housh Wrote: Little tune up

Will be ready for camp. Important year for Tee here. He could play himself into a 60 plus million dollar contract with a step. Likely won’t be from us but someone will bite.

Will be sad to see him go if this is the case. I still think if we are going to keep 2 of the big 3 it should be Chase and Tee
and let Boyd go for big money.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 11:49 AM)Housh Wrote: Little tune up

Will be ready for camp. Important year for Tee here. He could play himself into a 60 plus million dollar contract with a step. Likely won’t be from us but someone will bite.

Labrum surgery is just a little bit more than a tune up.

4-6 weeks in a sling while the labrum reattaches to the bone. 3-4 months before heavy lifting or overhead use. 6-9 months before full recovery.

Too much PT and you can re-tear the labrum.  Too little PT and you can develop a frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) which can take 1-3 years for full recovery.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 02:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Labrum surgery is just a little bit more than a tune up.

4-6 weeks in a sling while the labrum reattaches to the bone. 3-4 months before heavy lifting or overhead use. 6-9 months before full recovery.

Too much PT and you can re-tear the labrum.  Too little PT and you can develop a frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) which can take 1-3 years for full recovery.

Thanks for this Breech. You would know.

Sounds like we need to add a WR somewhat early if it is a slow recovery for Tee. Wanting David Bell WR Purdue who we might
be able to get in the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for this Breech. You would know.

Sounds like we need to add a WR somewhat early if it is a slow recovery for Tee. Wanting David Bell WR Purdue who we might

He will most likely be available by the start of the season because he will have access to the best care available.  But, so did Green, Eifert, Braham, etc.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 03:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He will most likely be available by the start of the season because he will have access to the best care available.  But, so did Green, Eifert, Braham, etc.

With the exception of Green, who may have had other motivations for not returning to the field, the other names mentioned had far more intangibles with their injuries than a torn labrum does.  Neither Eifert nor Braham had single component injuries they had injuries with multiple issues going on.  As long as it is a straightforward torn labrum repair, Tee should be back around training camp 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 07:13 PM)pally Wrote: With the exception of Green, who may have had other motivations for not returning to the field, the other names mentioned had far more intangibles with their injuries than a torn labrum does.  Neither Eifert nor Braham had single component injuries they had injuries with multiple issues going on.  As long as it is a straightforward torn labrum repair, Tee should be back around training camp 

Green’s diagnosis was never revealed, but from the beginning I thought he had a deltoid ligament injury which typically involve a longer recovery time than the more common anterior talofibular ligament. My suspicion was never confirmed, but would explain the prolonged recovery.

Eifert had the more typical ankle sprain. But, most people don’t know a grade III ankle sprain involves a complete tear of a ligament. Just like an ACL tear. But, people read sprain he think he’ll be back in 2-4 weeks. Conservative treatment takes longer than that and sometimes surgery is still needed which fits his timeline.

After the season, Braham admitted he had a tibial plateau fracture. Those can be surgical or non-surgical. Obviously, his was non-surgical, but would have required eight weeks to heal. But, people read bruise and think two weeks. Marvin Lewis did both Braham and the medical staff a disservice by lying to the public

Labrum tears usually aren’t isolated to the labrum alone.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 02:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Labrum surgery is just a little bit more than a tune up.

I don't doubt that everything you say is true, but when there are general ranges like "6 to 9 months" don't people who were in elite physical condition before the injury and have access to all the state of the art elements of rehabilitation usually come in at the low end?

I could not believe that Hopkins was ready for training camp after being injured in January.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't doubt that everything you say is true, but when there are general ranges like "6 to 9 months" don't people who were in elite physical condition before the injury and have access to all the state of the art elements of rehabilitation usually come in at the low end?

I could not believe that Hopkins was ready for training camp after being injured in January.

The range is a guide. Each individual will advance at their own pace. Which is why I wrote most likely. It is also why I listed three different players who didn’t return during the general range for various reasons including blatantly lying to the fans who then questioned Braham’s toughness and motives based upon deliberately incomplete/incorrect information. (Sound familiar?)

The most common cause of a labrum tear in young people is a traumatic injury involving a shoulder dislocation or partial dislocation. (Like a WR diving for a ball, landing on their elbow, and driving the humerus up into the shoulder joint.) Which means the joint capsule is damaged. The two most common labrum tears are SLAP and Bankart lesions. The most common SLAP lesion involves a tear of the biceps tendon. Up to 50% of Bankart lesions include a glenoid fracture. So I can almost guarantee there was more damaged than just the labrum tear. I would at least suspect more damage until proven otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Will be sad to see him go if this is the case. I still think if we are going to keep 2 of the big 3 it should be Chase and Tee
and let Boyd go for big money.

We still have 2 years. I'm sure we'll add a WR or two in the draft even if it is on day 3. Then we could always draft one earlier next year. After this last year I think it looks like our passing game is gonna revolve around Burrow and Chase. In a perfect world I would keep Higgins but with some of the crazy contracts players are signing it would probably come down to if he would be willing to sign a fairly modest contract with us and I just don't see that happening.
Reply/Quote
From my experience with high level athletes they tend to be ultra-competitive.

It is very rare for one to be lazy in re-hab.  In fact it is more common for them to be held back because they want to try to do too much too soon.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From my experience with high level athletes they tend to be ultra-competitive.

It is very rare for one to be lazy in re-hab. In fact it is more common form them to be held back because they want to try to do too much too soon.

I agree. So if a Bengals’ player doesn’t return during the usual range it is likely because the full extent of the injury wasn’t revealed to the public, e.g. a tibial plateau fracture instead of a bone bruise.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 02:40 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: We still have 2 years. I'm sure we'll add a WR or two in the draft even if it is on day 3. Then we could always draft one earlier next year. After this last year I think it looks like our passing game is gonna revolve around Burrow and Chase. In a perfect world I would keep Higgins but with some of the crazy contracts players are signing it would probably come down to if he would be willing to sign a fairly modest contract with us and I just don't see that happening.

Well then we better get the most of him in the meantime cause I agree. Might not be able to afford Tee.

With Chase and Burrow we should be fine though as long as the OL stays healthy and we keep adding talent around Burrow in 
the Draft and in FA. Burrow's accuracy makes everything good as long as the WR's are catching the ball.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 02:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree. So if a Bengals’ player doesn’t return during the usual range it is likely because the full extent of the injury wasn’t revealed to the public, e.g. a tibial plateau fracture instead of a bone bruise.

We never really know what is going on with player injuries.  The league tries to make rules to force teams to report the severity of injuries (in order to keep gamblers happy), but it doesn't really work that well.

For example, Gresham seemed to take a lot of heat from the team over his ability to play with an injury, but other players can be out forever with seemly no concern from the team.
Reply/Quote
I see that Tee Higgins is now expected to miss months, which is basically the offseason workouts.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33805047/cincinnati-bengals-wr-tee-higgins-miss-offseason-workouts-following-shoulder-surgery
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: I see that Tee Higgins is now expected to miss months, which is basically the offseason workouts.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33805047/cincinnati-bengals-wr-tee-higgins-miss-offseason-workouts-following-shoulder-surgery

That was the expectation once he had surgery. Earlier reports said he should be ready for training camp

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:51 PM)pally Wrote: That was the expectation once he had surgery. Earlier reports said he should be ready for training camp

I guess its nice, though, that ESPN has made it a major story (one of their top headlines). It shows someone there has high regards for Higgins. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for this Breech. You would know.

David Bell ran between 4.68 and 4.75. We need a WR whose gonna be able to get separation and he's not IT! No doubt in my mind he is strictly a slot guy and we have one of the best in the league. NEXT!!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 05:55 AM)pulses Wrote: David Bell ran between 4.68 and 4.75. We need a WR whose gonna be able to get separation and he's not IT! No doubt in my mind he is strictly a slot guy and we have one of the best in the league. NEXT!!

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71. Go watch Bell in uniform and pads as obviously you haven't already. Whoever gets this cat is going to be one lucky team.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 12:32 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Go watch Bell in uniform and pads as obviously you haven't already. 

Here is a comment from a guy who watched him on film

"While the tape has several elements to excite the viewer, the lack of functional explosiveness, speed and change of direction he showed at the NFL Scouting Combine simply can't be ignored. He'll have to prove he's better than his testing suggested as a Day 3 prospect."
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 12:32 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Jerry Rice ran a 4.71. Go watch Bell in uniform and pads as obviously you haven't already. Whoever gets this cat is going to be one lucky team.

Jerry Rice was an athlete and could MOVE David Bell can't.....comparing those 2 is ludicrous. And YES i've saw him several times i'm a big ten guy....with that being said their is a HUGE difference between playing in the B1G than the NFL.
Reply/Quote