Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tee Higgins surgery?
Pretty amazing that we didn't notice he was playing through a labrum injury.

Chad played through a torn labrum in 2008 and looked awful.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:40 PM)? pulses Wrote: Jerry Rice was an athlete and could MOVE David Bell can't.....comparing those 2 is ludicrous. And YES i've saw him several times i'm a big ten guy....with that being said their is a HUGE difference between playing in the B1G than the NFL.

It's a huge difference playing in any conference compared to the NFL unless you're a sure fire top 15-20 pick and even those guys have to adjust. How could Rice "move" with a 4.71 forty but Bell can't with a quicker 40? Did you know this before Rice showed you a HOF career?  We're talking one 40 time so if you think that's pro career comparison then you're clueless.

Do you know what the term "move" means?  Nobody said he's a 1st/2nd rounder but the kid can play. I'm sure you were chomping at the nads' of John Ross when he was drafted with "elite" speed and that great athleticism.

Bell caught 240 balls for almost 3000 yards in 3 seasons in a top 1-2 conference in all of college football. He is one of the already NFL ready receivers in the class. He's physical, a great route runner, is mature beyond his years and has good hands. Don't stray too far from the boards here because the kid will have a very nice career as a top 3-4 WR on a team.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 04:50 PM)higgy100 Wrote: It's a huge difference playing in any conference compared to the NFL unless you're a sure fire top 15-20 pick and even those guys have to adjust. How could Rice "move" with a 4.71 forty but Bell can't with a quicker 40? Did you know this before Rice showed you a HOF career?  We're talking one 40 time so if you think that's pro career comparison then you're clueless.

Do you know what the term "move" means?  Nobody said he's a 1st/2nd rounder but the kid can play. I'm sure you were chomping at the nads' of John Ross when he was drafted with "elite" speed and that great athleticism.

Bell caught 240 balls for almost 3000 yards in 3 seasons in a top 1-2 conference in all of college football. He is one of the already NFL ready receivers in the class. He's physical, a great route runner, is mature beyond his years and has good hands. Don't stray too far from the boards here because the kid will have a very nice career as a top 3-4 WR on a team.

No I was NEVER a fan of Ross in the 1st round. To me he was a 3rd rounder for his size. We should have taken Lattimore or Humphrey that year in the 1st. 40 times do not tell it all but it does help some. Bell doesn't have quick feet or even speed in short areas to seperate to get open at the next level. The numbers you put up in college don't always translate to the NFL either. He's more of a bench warmer or ST guy to me
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 07:04 PM)pulses Wrote: No I was NEVER a fan of Ross in the 1st round. To me he was a 3rd rounder for his size. We should have taken Lattimore or Humphrey that year in the 1st. 40 times do not tell it all but it does help some. Bell doesn't have quick feet or even speed in short areas to seperate to get open at the next level. The numbers you put up in college don't always translate to the NFL either. He's more of a bench warmer or ST guy to me

I never get too stuck on combine numbers. Why was Bell considered an early-to mid 2nd round pick based on actual game film prior to the combine? Every NFL roster are almost entirely made up of 3rd-7th round picks and FA. Almost all of these players had reports that pointed out all their negatives as to why they dropped a round or two because many of them weren't combine warriors, yet, boatloads of these guys are now on multi-year/multi million $ deals. And most of these guys did not even have the dominant college career-type numbers Bell put up in the 2nd best conference in America. Imo, Bell will 100% be a 2nd day pick pick and be a multi year starter. Bell possesses a lot of attributes needed to succeed that you don't measure.

You ever hear of TJ Housh before the Bengals drafted him? How did that career go for you? Bell is a very similar type player in physicality, blocking, strong hands, great route-runner,etc. but he actually also dominated at the college level in a very good conference.  Bell will not drop into day 3 of the draft and whoever gets him will have a player that will be a top 3-4 WR on their team for years. Not saying it's the Bengals who need/want him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 04:50 PM)higgy100 Wrote:  How could Rice "move" with a 4.71 forty but Bell can't with a quicker 40? Did you know this before Rice showed you a HOF career? 

Jerry Rice ran a 4.59 at the combine at close to 210 lbs.  He played for the forty niners at about 195.  He talked about losing weight to increase his explosiveness when Crabtree was playing for the Niners.  Rice felt he needed to drop some weight to get faster. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 04:50 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Bell caught 240 balls for almost 3000 yards in 3 seasons in a top 1-2 conference in all of college football.

The same conference where Dwayne Haskins completed 70% of his passes for 50 tds in 2018?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 09:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The same conference where Dwayne Haskins completed 70% of his passes for 50 tds in 2018?

Very very poor analogy on your part.The conference Haskins played in had absolutely nothing to do with his poor NFL career. He was not ready to come out after one year of starting from an experience stand point nor maturity-wise and his own head coach said the same thing to NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 10:09 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Very very poor analogy on your part.

My analogy is dead on.  You just don't get it.

You can't use stats to prop up one player and then say stats are meaningless for another.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 10:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My analogy is dead on.  You just don't get it.

You can't use stats to prop up one player and then say stats are meaningless for another.

Your analogy is just plain dead. Who said stats are meaningless? One guy hasn't even been drafted yet so, naturally, it's all an opinion and if Bell's stats were full of zeroes or far inferior to what they were he may not even get invited to the combine. So do you see how stats need to be used?

It's far more factual to realize there have been no QB's to my knowledge that have started one year of college and been successful in the NFL no matter how great their one year bumbers were. Urban Meyer told NFL teams he was not mature enough nor experienced enough to be drafted that high which is public record. I would certainly hope you can interpret the difference in positions and that QB's require a far different skill set but, more importantly, the ability to read defenses, process information, execute in a matter of seconds and to be able to lead with multiple defenders trying to kill him in just a matter of seconds.

You were totally proven wrong and rather foolish about Joe Burrow from reading all the back and forth between you and a multitude of posters the past couple years so I believe it's you who does not get it.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 12:30 PM)higgy100 Wrote: It's far more factual to realize there have been no QB's to my knowledge that have started one year of college and been successful in the NFL no matter how great their one year bumbers were. Urban Meyer told NFL teams he was not mature enough nor experienced enough to be drafted that high which is public record. I would certainly hope you can interpret the difference in positions and that QB's require a far different skill set but, more importantly, the ability to read defenses, process information, execute in a matter of seconds and to be able to lead with multiple defenders trying to kill him in just a matter of seconds.

If Haskins could throw 50 tds against Big Ten teams without being NFL ready then that just makes the Big ten look worse.

(04-27-2022, 12:30 PM)higgy100 Wrote: You were totally proven wrong and rather foolish about Joe Burrow from reading all the back and forth between you and a multitude of posters the past couple years so I believe it's you who does not get it.

And I was never wrong about Joe Burrow.  The ones that were wrong were the ones claiming he did not need a good O-line because he was so good under pressure.  And the ones claiming he did not need great receivers because he could "throw them open".  And the ones who claimed he would straighten out AJ Green by "holding him accountable".   Burrow struggled as a rookie just like I said he would until he got more talent around him.

So please post a link to something I said about Burrow that was "proven wrong".  

I'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 09:29 AM)higgy100 Wrote: I never get too stuck on combine numbers. Why was Bell considered an early-to mid 2nd round pick based on actual game film prior to the combine? Every NFL roster are almost entirely made up of 3rd-7th round picks and FA. Almost all of these players had reports that pointed out all their negatives as to why they dropped a round or two because many of them weren't combine warriors, yet, boatloads of these guys are now on multi-year/multi million $ deals. And most of these guys did not even have the dominant college career-type numbers Bell put up in the 2nd best conference in America. Imo, Bell will 100% be a 2nd day pick pick and be a multi year starter. Bell possesses a lot of attributes needed to succeed that you don't measure.

You ever hear of TJ Housh before the Bengals drafted him? How did that career go for you? Bell is a very similar type player in physicality, blocking, strong hands, great route-runner,etc. but he actually also dominated at the college level in a very good conference.  Bell will not drop into day 3 of the draft and whoever gets him will have a player that will be a top 3-4 WR on their team for years. Not saying it's the Bengals who need/want him.
TJ did NOT dominate in college Hilarious Hilarious

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tj-houshmandzadeh-1.html
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 12:30 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Your analogy is just plain dead. Who said stats are meaningless? One guy hasn't even been drafted yet so, naturally, it's all an opinion and if Bell's stats were full of zeroes or far inferior to what they were he may not even get invited to the combine. So do you see how stats need to be used?

It's far more factual to realize there have been no QB's to my knowledge that have started one year of college and been successful in the NFL no matter how great their one year bumbers were. Urban Meyer told NFL teams he was not mature enough nor experienced enough to be drafted that high which is public record. I would certainly hope you can interpret the difference in positions and that QB's require a far different skill set but, more importantly, the ability to read defenses, process information, execute in a matter of seconds and to be able to lead with multiple defenders trying to kill him in just a matter of seconds.

You were totally proven wrong and rather foolish about Joe Burrow from reading all the back and forth between you and a multitude of posters the past couple years so I believe it's you who does not get it.
His analogy is SPOT ON. Somebody is just sore about it.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 12:30 PM)higgy100 Wrote: It's far more factual to realize there have been no QB's to my knowledge that have started one year of college and been successful in the NFL no matter how great their one year bumbers were. 

There isn't many.

Kyler Murray
Cam Newton (only started one season in D-1, unless you want to count Blinn College)
Mitch Trubisky? He has made a Pro Bowl and is still a starter. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 01:06 PM)pulses Wrote: TJ did NOT dominate in college Hilarious Hilarious

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tj-houshmandzadeh-1.html

I could be wrong, but I don't think he was suggesting that TJ dominated college.

That said, TJ's 2000 stats were quite solid considering his QB only threw 338 passes and he had Chad Johnson on the other side.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote