Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Tee is now the only tagged player without a new deal
I know it’s standard practice pretty much but this sort of shit does tend to erode your respect for a player. First world problems.
Reply/Quote
I’m so tired of this offseason.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 12:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Since the FT is all salary, all the money is tied to game checks, meaning he loses nothing until Game 1 of the season.  He can literally sign the Saturday before the opener and not miss out on a penny.  I don't think it's at this point, but he also only has to sign with 6 games left in the season to accrue a season and escalate the FT cost for next year.  We won't see Tee in the building until after TC and preseason are done.

A normal player might accrue a season with 6 game left however a tagged player must sign the franchise tag by week 10 of the NFL season or else they are ineligible for the rest of the year even if there are 8+ games left on the schedule.  Bye weeks count so if a team plays 9 games then has a bye week on week 10, they would still have 8 games left on the regular season schedule they could play in + playoff games.   The problem is that if the tagged player doesnt sign the franchise tag by that 10th NFL week, it doesnt matter there are still 8 regular season games + potential playoff games that would count toward the 6 game accrued NFL season, that player would still be ineligible.

I do think it is highly unlikely Tee waits until week 10 to sign because he would lose over a million dollars for every week he waited.  That is a lot of money to flush down the toilet.  You also have to consider by that point you may have other guys in front of Tee like Burton and Iosivas that have been playing all year and might be having outstanding seasons.   Tee may have to come in off the bench as the #4 WR and provide depth if Burton and Iosivas become entrenched starters.  How bad would that make Tee look?  Realistically I think Tee signs the tag a week or two before the start of the season.
Reply/Quote
Tees been the talk of social media today. Things aren’t getting any better it sounds.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 03:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Oh well, it would be funny if he loses his job to Burton or Yoshi because they get the snaps and show they have what it takes.

We're in serious trouble if Yoshi takes his job.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 06:49 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: A normal player might accrue a season with 6 game left however a tagged player must sign the franchise tag by week 10 of the NFL season or else they are ineligible for the rest of the year even if there are 8+ games left on the schedule.  Bye weeks count so if a team plays 9 games then has a bye week on week 10, they would still have 8 games left on the regular season schedule they could play in + playoff games.   The problem is that if the tagged player doesnt sign the franchise tag by that 10th NFL week, it doesnt matter there are still 8 regular season games + potential playoff games that would count toward the 6 game accrued NFL season, that player would still be ineligible.

I do think it is highly unlikely Tee waits until week 10 to sign because he would lose over a million dollars for every week he waited.  That is a lot of money to flush down the toilet.  You also have to consider by that point you may have other guys in front of Tee like Burton and Iosivas that have been playing all year and might be having outstanding seasons.   Tee may have to come in off the bench as the #4 WR and provide depth if Burton and Iosivas become entrenched starters.  How bad would that make Tee look?  Realistically I think Tee signs the tag a week or two before the start of the season.

I don't see him holding out into the regular season simply because, unlike other FT players, he's coming off a bad year and another poor regular season showing will put him firmly in one year "prove it" deal territory for next year.  I mean, he played 12 games last year and was held to 21 receiving yards or less in 5 of them.  He needs a bounce back year to get anything close to what he wants.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't see him holding out into the regular season simply because, unlike other FT players, he's coming off a bad year and another poor regular season showing will put him firmly in one year "prove it" deal territory for next year.  I mean, he played 12 games last year and was held to 21 receiving yards or less in 5 of them.  He needs a bounce back year to get anything close to what he wants.

Yes, the good thing here is that Tee's motivation is to have the best year of his career so he can get the dough he is after.

Does him no good to sit out or not give it his all.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 01:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, the good thing here is that Tee's motivation is to have the best year of his career so he can get the dough he is after.

Does him no good to sit out or not give it his all.

I would actually argue he actually doesn't want to have the BEST year of his career. If he puts up like 1,200 yards/10 TDs, that might make it more likely the Bengals consider franchise tagging him a second time. Then he's got to be healthy and great for a second straight year before hitting FA heading into his age 27 season instead of the 25 of if he hadn't been FT'd this year.

He's really motivated to just have a solid year with maybe one or two games where he's great, while primarily focusing on protecting himself to stay healthy. Pittman Jr got $23.3m/yr and Calvin Ridley in his 30s got $30m/yr and neither put up a better-than-best-year-of-Tee's-career type year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 01:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would actually argue he actually doesn't want to have the BEST year of his career. If he puts up like 1,200 yards/10 TDs, that might make it more likely the Bengals consider franchise tagging him a second time. Then he's got to be healthy and great for a second straight year before hitting FA heading into his age 27 season instead of the 25 of if he hadn't been FT'd this year.

He's really motivated to just have a solid year with maybe one or two games where he's great, while primarily focusing on protecting himself to stay healthy. Pittman Jr got $23.3m/yr and Calvin Ridley in his 30s got $30m/yr and neither put up a better-than-best-year-of-Tee's-career type year.

Highly doubt we tag Tee 2 years in a row, have we ever done this? 

And if we did, do we expect Tee to be happy about it?

Tee had his worst season last year because of injury, he needs to stay healthy and have like you say, at least a solid year to expect the type of money 
Pittman got. Ridley was severely overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Highly doubt we tag Tee 2 years in a row, have we ever done this? 

And if we did, do we expect Tee to be happy about it?

Tee had his worst season last year because of injury, he needs to stay healthy and have like you say, at least a solid year to expect the type of money 
Pittman got. Ridley was severely overpaid.

I don't think we have ever done it, but I also think most people we tagged had pretty mediocre/bad years under the tag.

Michael Johnnson: 3.5 sacks
AJ Green: 523 yards
Jessie Bates: Wasn't anywhere near 2020 regular season or 2021 playoff Jessie Bates
Mike Nugent: 82.6% and got hurt
Shayne Graham: 82.1% and 0/2 in the playoffs
Stacy Andrews: tore his ACL during season
Justin Smith: 2.0 sacks

If Tee had the best year of his career, he would be the first player we had playing under the franchise tag who could say such a thing. 

I am almost certain he wouldn't be happy about it, but apparently the Bengals don't care because he clearly wasn't going to be happy about it this time either. The Bengals FO dances to their own beat when it comes to mindset. For better or generally worse.

Remember that since Pittman and Ridley we then saw St Brown get a hair over $30m/yr, AJ Brown get $32m/yr... hell, we saw Jeudy get $17.5m/yr... and we still have Jefferson, Chase, Lamb, and Waddle on deck and next offseason there'll be Olave and Wilson available for extensions. Real good chance that the type of money Pittman got is only ~15th highest paid next offseason. So yeah, avoid injuries and just a solid season probably gets him >$23m/yr because the WR market is absurd right now and I can only imagine what it's like when there's 3 more $30m+/yr WRs on top of the 3 there currently is. At 6 it will become a whole new level of pay and it'll start bumping up all those lower guys.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 04:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't think we have ever done it, but I also think most people we tagged had pretty mediocre/bad years under the tag.

Michael Johnnson: 3.5 sacks
AJ Green: 523 yards
Jessie Bates: Wasn't anywhere near 2020 regular season or 2021 playoff Jessie Bates
Mike Nugent: 82.6% and got hurt
Shayne Graham: 82.1% and 0/2 in the playoffs
Stacy Andrews: tore his ACL during season
Justin Smith: 2.0 sacks

If Tee had the best year of his career, he would be the first player we had playing under the franchise tag who could say such a thing. 

I am almost certain he wouldn't be happy about it, but apparently the Bengals don't care because he clearly wasn't going to be happy about it this time either. The Bengals FO dances to their own beat when it comes to mindset. For better or generally worse.

Remember that since Pittman and Ridley we then saw St Brown get a hair over $30m/yr, AJ Brown get $32m/yr... hell, we saw Jeudy get $17.5m/yr... and we still have Jefferson, Chase, Lamb, and Waddle on deck and next offseason there'll be Olave and Wilson available for extensions. Real good chance that the type of money Pittman got is only ~15th highest paid next offseason. So yeah, avoid injuries and just a solid season probably gets him >$23m/yr because the WR market is absurd right now and I can only imagine what it's like when there's 3 more $30m+/yr WRs on top of the 3 there currently is. At 6 it will become a whole new level of pay and it'll start bumping up all those lower guys.

Great post TLL, just reaffirms why most of us never like the Franchise Tag, never works out for us it seems.

I don't have a lot of faith in Tee staying healthy either, hamstring injuries tend to linger. But have to hope he does and has his best year
for him to get paid what he wants. Probably won't be us long term as we have to pay Chase long term and we have weapons and need
to keep the trenches strong.
Reply/Quote
I didn't used to follow the team as closely as I do now. Never knew we franchise tagged two kickers.
Reply/Quote
This site hasn't mentioned it, but google up Tee Higgins and most of the NFL is talking about it today. Chase and Higgins missing from start of Bengals OTA's this week. Many reports are that Higgins has no plans of ever putting on a Bengals uniform again, and he demands traded. That isn't me, that is most news sources on this.

Here is the problem. Bengals have to resign Chase this summer long term, because Chase is one of the premier WR's in NFL. Bengals can't afford to let Chase be a free agent after this season. Resigning Chase is going to take Big Bucks. So here you have Higgins who is a top #2 WR who wants to be paid as a #1 WR long term. The Bengals can't sign both Chase and Higgins long term to #1 WR paid contracts. Plus Bengals just shelled out huge money for Joe Burrow long term.

The Bengals did draft a WR early and other WR's stepped up for Bengals last season. The Bengals have not offered Higgins a long term #1 WR paid contract, and Higgins has said he won't play without a long term #1 WR paid contract.

So the NFL story is Tee Higgins drama continues.

Bengals had Carson Palmer refuse to play, and Bengals were willing to let Palmer sit out and not get paid. However The Raiders stepped up and made Bengals an offer they could not refuse. I think the Raiders QB got injured early in the season, and there sat Carson Palmer ready to go get. I'm not sure any team offers that much for Higgins at this point. What I've read in past months is that if Higgins plays, he gets paid a ton as a Franchise Tag WR. He probably gets paid too much if Bengals need to resign Chase this summer at a huge price. If Higgins doesn't play, he doesn't get paid, and when Higgins goes free agent to another team in 2025, the Bengals get a 3rd round comp pick anyway.

It looks like Bengals are in the position that to resign Chase long term, it's probably better if Higgins sits out and doesn't get paid. However that makes using the Franchise Tag on him at such a high price kind of stupid. It's not good for Higgins or Bengals and this use or abuse of the franchise tag is something The Players Union and The NFL need to change.

So as it is now, per most of The NFL. Don't count on ever seeing Higgins in a Bengals uniform again, and the news story is, " Tee Higgins Drama Continues ". There is not that much concern about Chase not at OTA's, although Bengals better be resigning Chase this summer, since Bengals policy has always been no contract negotiations once season starts. The concern in NFL is Tee Higgins demanding traded not at Bengals OTA's.

Now, I'd just as soon none of this was happening, and I didn't have to bring it up. The fact remains that the top NFL story today is how Bengals drama over Tee Higgins continues. Higgins is a no show, just as he said after he was upset Bengals shackled him with the franchise tag before free agency started.

There, now you can all get mad at me for posting what the entire NFL is talking about. I would just as soon wish none of this was happening, and the only thing Bengals had to do this summer is get ready to play The Patriots. I also wish there was a way to post this in a 7 word or less sound bite as many of you request, but this Higgins story is too complicated to sum up in a short sound bite.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ou5vxgwncb391gbv2rf...w.gif&ct=g]

Reply/Quote

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
you must have missed the OTA's thread where 90% of the discussion has been about the ones who aren't there

No one expected Higgins to be at OTAs for one thing he has to sign his tender which he hasn't done but even if he had he wouldn't be there. I don't expect to see until training camp at the earliest.

NFL media is sufferring from a slow news cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXG0fNqYB5Y

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 07:52 AM)pally Wrote: you must have missed the OTA's thread where 90% of the discussion has been about the ones who aren't there

No one expected Higgins to be at OTAs for one thing he has to sign his tender which he hasn't done but even if he had he wouldn't be there. I don't expect to see until training camp at the earliest.

NFL media is sufferring from a slow news cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXG0fNqYB5Y

Yep
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tee-higgins-wants-to-stay-with-the-bengals

If this was true he would sign his deal...
Reply/Quote
Waddle just signed a contract for 84.5 million on 3 years with 76 million guaranteed.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 11:11 AM)J24 Wrote: Waddle just signed a contract for 84.5 million on 3 years with 76 million guaranteed.

Yeah that has to turn up the heat since it's literally every other day that a WR gets extended, you'd think all the guys in Tee’s range would have been signed by now.  We all know where this is. They're tagging him for a year and he won't get extended, just comes down to how loud he gets and when he signs and shows. 
Reply/Quote