Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen Suicide Rates
https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/suicide.html#

Quote:About Teen Suicide

The reasons behind a teen's suicide or attempted suicide can be complex. Although suicide is relatively rare among children, the rate of suicides and suicide attempts increases greatly during adolescence.

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), after accidents and homicide. It's also thought that at least 25 attempts are made for every completed teen suicide.

The risk of suicide increases dramatically when kids and teens have access to firearms at home, and nearly 60% of all suicides in the United States are committed with a gun. That's why any gun in your home should be unloaded, locked, and kept out of the reach of children and teens.

Overdose using over-the-counter, prescription, and non-prescription medicine is also a very common method for both attempting and completing suicide. It's important to monitor carefully all medications in your home. Also be aware that teens will "trade" different prescription medications at school and carry them (or store them) in their locker or backpack.

Suicide rates differ between boys and girls. Girls think about and attempt suicide about twice as often as boys, and tend to attempt suicide by overdosing on drugs or cutting themselves. Yet boys die by suicide about four times as often girls, perhaps because they tend to use more lethal methods, such as firearms, hanging, or jumping from heights.

Which Teens Are at Risk for Suicide?

It can be hard to remember how it felt to be a teen, caught in that gray area between childhood and adulthood. Sure, it's a time of tremendous possibility, but it also can be a period of stress and worry. There's pressure to fit in socially, to perform academically, and to act responsibly.

Adolescence is also a time of sexual identity and relationships and a need for independence that often conflicts with the rules and expectations set by others.

Young people with mental health problems — such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or insomnia — are at higher risk for suicidal thoughts. Teens going through major life changes (parents' divorce, moving, a parent leaving home due to military service or parental separation, financial changes) and those who are victims of bullying are at greater risk of suicidal thoughts.

Factors that increase the risk of suicide among teens include:
  • a psychological disorder, especially depressionbipolar disorder, and alcohol and drug use (in fact, about 95% of people who die by suicide have a psychological disorder at the time of death)
  • feelings of distress, irritability, or agitation
  • feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness that often accompany depression
  • a previous suicide attempt
  • a family history of depression or suicide
  • emotional, physical, or sexual abuse
  • lack of a support network, poor relationships with parents or peers, and feelings of social isolation
  • dealing with bisexuality or homosexuality in an unsupportive family or community or hostile school environment

https://www.healthyplace.com/suicide/why-do-teens-commit-suicide-causes-of-teen-suicide/

Quote:WHY DO TEENS COMMIT SUICIDE? CAUSES OF TEEN SUICIDE

When a suicide occurs, people want to know, why do teens commit suicide? Some people consider their teenage years the happiest years of their lives, so a teen suicide just doesn't make sense to them. But teens can suffer real pain and be in terrible situations and these can cause teen suicides.

Why Do Teens Commit Suicide? Emotional Causes
Most teens who have been interviewed after a suicide attempt say that what causes teen suicide are feelings of hopelessness and helplessness. Suicidal teens often feel like they are in situations that have no solutions. The teens can see no way out but death. The teens feel like they have no control to change their situations.

Other emotional teen suicide causes stem from trying to escape feelings of pain, rejection, hurt, being unloved, victimization or loss. Teens may feel like their feelings are unbearable and will never end, so the only way to escape is suicide.

Teens may also be afraid of disappointing others or feel like they are a burden to others, such as their parents, and these can be additional causes of teen suicide.

Teen Suicide Causes – Environmental Causes
Situations often drive the emotional causes of suicide. Bullying, cyberbullying, abuse, a detrimental home life, loss of a loved one or even a severe breakup can by contributing causes of teen suicide. Often, many of these environmental factors occur together to cause suicidal feelings and behaviors.

Ethan felt like there was no point going on with life. Things had been tough since his mom died. His dad was working two jobs and seemed frazzled and angry most of the time. Whenever he and Ethan talked, it usually ended in yelling.

Ethan had just found out he'd failed a math test, and he was afraid of how mad and disappointed his dad would be. In the past, he always talked things over with his girlfriend — the only person who seemed to understand. But they'd broken up the week before, and now Ethan felt he had nowhere to turn.

Ethan later went on to seek out his dad's gun with which to attempt to take his life.

As in the above example, it is typical that many factors – both emotional and environmental – contribute to the cause of a teen suicide or teen suicide attempt.

Mental Illness as a Cause of Teen Suicide
While all the above are driving factors of teen suicide, often the underlying issue is one of a mental illness. Most teens who attempt suicide do so because of depression, bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder. These disorders amplify the pain a teen may feel. It is because of this that any suicidal teen should be treated by a medical professional.

Why Teens Commit Suicide
What's important to remember is that teens attempt or commit suicide not because of a desire to die, but, rather, in an attempt to escape a bad situation and/or painful feelings. It's rare that only a single event leads to suicide. This means that by helping a teen turn around a bad situation or by teaching her or him how better to deal with painful feelings, we can defeat the causes of teen suicide. Most times, this requires professional help by a doctor or a psychotherapist and may also involve the teen's school, such as in cases of teen bullying.

Many causes...many of which can build up over time.

Pay attention to your kids (and other's kids) and try and help.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-21-2018, 10:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/suicide.html#

https://www.healthyplace.com/suicide/why-do-teens-commit-suicide-causes-of-teen-suicide/

This is a big issue. Nice of you to post about it, feels like this gets swept under the rug a lot.

We had multiple suicides one year and one of the girls was in my class and was a trainer for the sport I coached. Sister to one of my players and it came out of nowhere.... I have never felt so broadsided as I did then. I will never forget it and is probably why I am more protective of these children being manipulated.

None of the suicides used a gun.
(02-21-2018, 10:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/suicide.html#

This. I’m sure some suicides are rash out of the blue acts, but most have warning signs. My best friend committed suicide at 18. We were s lot of things, but shocked wasn’t one of them. Look for signs and err on the safe side.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Always make an effort to talk to every kid, not just the quiet ones who look sad.

The first suicide I experienced as a teacher was very popular and very loved. Kids in every grade were friends with him. Did not show any signs.

We had a suicide this year. He was a former student who was very quiet and had a small group of friends. My cousin, who is a student at my school, talked with him all the time in tech ed. He was completely caught off guard, having just talked with him earlier that day.

There's not always the most obvious signs, so it's best to err on the safe side like Michaelsean said. Always be there. Always show support. Always encourage kids to find someone they can talk with and feel safe in never being judged. Look for signs that someone may be bullying them or someone is abusing them. Make them feel safe.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I attempted it once.

March 1993. Bad day at school, bad week at school, bad year at school led up to it.  Depression, and that worthless feeling got to be too much. Got home from school that day.  no one was home at the time.  went into the bathroom and took a handful of pills. i don't remember what i took. laid down in my bed to go to sleep.  But I woke up.  went downstairs and ate supper with the folks that night, and went on with my life like nothing happened.  I don't know?  I've never told anyone about that.  neither my sister nor my folks know about it.  My wife doesn't know. 

everyday I look at my son and i try to figure out a way to make sure he doesn't go down that same mental path.  I know life is going to get him down, but if I can arm him somehow with the ability to rise above it all and make him see its going to get better eventually, let him KNOW that what I did was NOT right, was NOT the right choice to make, I'll have done my job as a father.

[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

I'm a survivor of an attempt. Scar on my wrist is almost gone, these days. Scars on my upper arms (I was also a cutter) are still mostly there. Depression and anxiety is some serious shit. Puberty makes it worse and we are seeing a higher prevalence of it in younger groups, these days. I've seen some of the psychological studies about it and it's pretty shocking what is happening in our society.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-22-2018, 04:13 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I attempted it once.

March 1993. Bad day at school, bad week at school, bad year at school led up to it.  Depression, and that worthless feeling got to be too much. Got home from school that day.  no one was home at the time.  went into the bathroom and took a handful of pills. i don't remember what i took. laid down in my bed to go to sleep.  But I woke up.  went downstairs and ate supper with the folks that night, and went on with my life like nothing happened.  I don't know?  I've never told anyone about that.  neither my sister nor my folks know about it.  My wife doesn't know. 

everyday I look at my son and i try to figure out a way to make sure he doesn't go down that same mental path.  I know life is going to get him down, but if I can arm him somehow with the ability to rise above it all and make him see its going to get better eventually, let him KNOW that what I did was NOT right, was NOT the right choice to make, I'll have done my job as a father.

He's not necessarily seeing life as you did.  Everybody experiences anxiety, but it's a completely different experience for people who actually suffer from anxiety- depression.  I pay attention to my children (21 &16) and I don't blow off anything that sounds like it could be trouble down the road.  

It's all about brain chemistry.  I've had anxiety/panic attacks for my whole life.  Been on paxil for 20 years maybe.  The last year or so I've had much more anxiety.  Not general, but acute but based on overblown fears.  I had my Paxil increased from 20mg to 30mg and within two weeks I was back to normal.  What I'm saying in general is that it's chemical, and people shouldn't be afraid to treat it.  The  side effects are small in comparison to waking up feeling normal every day.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-22-2018, 04:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He's not necessarily seeing life as you did.  Everybody experiences anxiety, but it's a completely different experience for people who actually suffer from anxiety- depression.  I pay attention to my children (21 &16) and I don't blow off anything that sounds like it could be trouble down the road.  

It's all about brain chemistry.  I've had anxiety/panic attacks for my whole life.  Been on paxil for 20 years maybe.  The last year or so I've had much more anxiety.  Not general, but acute but based on overblown fears.  I had my Paxil increased from 20mg to 30mg and within two weeks I was back to normal.  What I'm saying in general is that it's chemical, and people shouldn't be afraid to treat it.  The  side effects are small in comparison to waking up feeling normal every day.

I have this conversation with people all the time. There are some people that "pill shame" people that treat depression and anxiety with medication, but there is a biological component to this that cannot be overlooked. Some people can do fine with psychotherapy alone, some with medication alone, some need a combination. I'm in that last category. I actually went for years without anything, stopped treatment because I lost insurance. For the past three years, though, things have been rough. I finally got up the motivation to make changes this year and get back on medication and see a therapist.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-22-2018, 04:13 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I attempted it once.

I'm glad you were not successful in your attempt. The world is a better place with you in it.

As for the parenting, it is a daily struggle for me to raise my kids in a way that sets them up for the world in the best way possible. I too, went through a depressive phase in my teenage years. I also went through a phase in my teenage years where I was likely a large contributing factor toward other kids' issues. I know that my sons will likely go through similar problems as they grow, I just hope that I'm setting an example for them to treat themselves and others with more respect than what I did. I think this is probably a struggle of every father on these forums.....to raise them to be better than yourself, and to not make the same mistakes.

My main goal is to be someone they can talk to, rely on, and trust, and hopefully with that, we can successfully navigate the issues that will inevitably arise.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

I never sought out help from this. Never seen a therapist or anything back then. I kind of shamed myself into thinking I was weak or had a moment of weakness. Eventually, time does have an effect on the memories, it dulls the pain.

The only time I’ve gone to therapy was after my adopted daughter’s funeral. There wasn’t much I could do afterwards and I could tell I was slipping into that same deep depression I felt in school.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(02-22-2018, 04:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have this conversation with people all the time. There are some people that "pill shame" people that treat depression and anxiety with medication, but there is a biological component to this that cannot be overlooked. Some people can do fine with psychotherapy alone, some with medication alone, some need a combination. I'm in that last category. I actually went for years without anything, stopped treatment because I lost insurance. For the past three years, though, things have been rough. I finally got up the motivation to make changes this year and get back on medication and see a therapist.

Most pill shamers as you aptly call them, have no idea what it's like to wake up and almost literally see gray.  If I had to guess, I would say I have relatively mild anxiety, and when it's not treated, it's horrible, because it's constant and you can't escape your mind.  It's basically OCD with stress on the "O".  I can't imagine what it would be like to have chronic depression.  When I am having anxiety, it usually gets better as the day goes on until I feel almost normal and then start over the next morning.  With depression it's all day and all night and never any relief. Pill shamers can go eff themselves, because I know what I experience, and it's a fraction of what people with depression suffer.  When someone's only relief is suicide, it's a little illogical to tell them a pill is bad for them.  

(02-22-2018, 04:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I never sought out help from this. Never seen a therapist or anything back then. I kind of shamed myself into thinking I was weak or had a moment of weakness. Eventually, time does have an effect on the memories, it dulls the pain.

The only time I’ve gone to therapy was after my adopted daughter’s funeral. There wasn’t much I could do afterwards and I could tell I was slipping into that same deep depression I felt in school. I couldn’t let myself go down that road again so I started seeing a therapist.

I was forced into it when I was younger, then kept it up even though I didn't take it as seriously, then. For years I was fine, likely because I didn't have a very stressful life. Things got worse with a layoff, a diabetes diagnosis, debt, school, being stuck in a job, dealing with aging parents, etc., etc. I kept on telling myself it was fine, I knew I was being irrational when I would get really down, and I would just come out of it. I never really did, though. Admitting you need the help is a great step. Glad you were able to do that for yourself.

(02-22-2018, 04:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Most pill shamers as you aptly call them, have no idea what it's like to wake up and almost literally see gray.  If I had to guess, I would say I have relatively mild anxiety, and when it's not treated, it's horrible, because it's constant and you can't escape your mind.  It's basically OCD with stress on the "O".  I can't imagine what it would be like to have chronic depression.  When I am having anxiety, it usually gets better as the day goes on until I feel almost normal and then start over the next morning.  With depression it's all day and all night and never any relief. Pill shamers can go eff themselves, because I know what I experience, and it's a fraction of what people with depression suffer.  When someone's only relief is suicide, it's a little illogical to tell them a pill is bad for them.  

Depression isn't always constant. It can also come and go. There are a lot of varieties of it, for sure. I rarely get the really deep depression, but what experience is a rather constant state of apathy, for lack of a better word. It's not that I don't care about things, because I am someone that cares a lot (and this is why I have anxiety issues, as well), but I don't really derive joy from anything. I find things funny, and I enjoy certain activities, but if you were to ask me what makes me happy I genuinely have no real answer.

These mental conditions manifest in people in many different ways. It's really interesting when you see how differently these things can impact different people.

(02-22-2018, 04:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I never sought out help from this.  Never seen a therapist or anything back then. I kind of shamed myself into thinking I was weak or had a moment of weakness.  Eventually, time does have an effect on the memories, it dulls the pain.  

The only time I’ve gone to therapy was after my adopted daughter’s funeral.  There wasn’t much I could do afterwards and I could tell I was slipping into that same deep depression I felt in school.  I couldn’t let myself go down that road again so I started seeing a therapist.

absolutely go see a therapist.  If it's not a big deal then you're out a few bucks.  The good news is you know what it looks like because you've experienced it.  You are better equipped to see it in your son if it exists.  It may not be exact, but I think you'll recognize it. 

(02-22-2018, 04:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Depression isn't always constant. It can also come and go. There are a lot of varieties of it, for sure. I rarely get the really deep depression, but what experience is a rather constant state of apathy, for lack of a better word. It's not that I don't care about things, because I am someone that cares a lot (and this is why I have anxiety issues, as well), but I don't really derive joy from anything. I find things funny, and I enjoy certain activities, but if you were to ask me what makes me happy I genuinely have no real answer.

These mental conditions manifest in people in many different ways. It's really interesting when you see how differently these things can impact different people.

I don't know who said it, but I remember reading that happiness is contentment.  There may be no outside things that make certain person happy, but if they can be content with what they have and where they are then they can find happiness there. I don't know if it's true, but I find that if I have peace in my life and in my mind then I am content, and anything else is gravy.  But that's when I'm anxiety free.  All the logic in the world is useless when you are in the middle of anxiety or depression. I think I'm rambling now so I'll stop here.

(02-22-2018, 04:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Depression isn't always constant. It can also come and go. There are a lot of varieties of it, for sure. I rarely get the really deep depression, but what experience is a rather constant state of apathy, for lack of a better word. It's not that I don't care about things, because I am someone that cares a lot (and this is why I have anxiety issues, as well), but I don't really derive joy from anything. I find things funny, and I enjoy certain activities, but if you were to ask me what makes me happy I genuinely have no real answer.

You have no idea how close this is to describing my thoughts and feelings. (Are you in my head right now?) It comes and goes and it’s very much like apathy towards almost everything in life. The only true joy I feel is seeing my son smile. He’s only four months old, so it’s the little things right now. But he literally lights up my world everyday.

(02-22-2018, 05:11 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: You have no idea how close this is to describing my thoughts and feelings. (Are you in my head right now?)  It comes and goes and it’s very much like apathy towards almost everything in life. The only true joy I feel is seeing my son smile.  He’s only four months old, so it’s the little things right now. But he literally lights up my world everyday.

At the risk of coming across as someone who thinks he's an expert, I see two things.  First, in regards to Matt saying what's in your head, it's nice not being alone.  Finding out you aren't the  only one experiencing this.

Second, having something to look forward to can work wonders.  Right now it's your son's smile.  

Geeze I do sound like a know it all in this thread. I just hate to think of people suffering this crap unnecessarily, and it has more to do with my dad than me. He suffered in silence for 40 plus years with anxiety and panic attacks and thought he was nuts. He traveled a lot, and we didn't know it at the time, but sometimes he took us with him on his trips because he couldn't bear the thought of being alone in a hotel room. To this day he takes an MAO Inhibitor, which is just an awful drug to be on. Switching to a new drug would mean a month off of that and then another month before the new medicine would kick in, and the thought of that is more frightening than all of the problems associated with taking an MAOI.

(02-22-2018, 05:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Geeze I do sound like a know it all in this thread. I just hate to think of people suffering this crap unnecessarily, and it has more to do with my dad than me. He suffered in silence for 40 plus years with anxiety and panic attacks and thought he was nuts. He traveled a lot, and we didn't know it at the time, but sometimes he took us with him on his trips because he couldn't bear the thought of being alone in a hotel room. To this day he takes an MAO Inhibitor, which is just an awful drug to be on, because to switch would mean a month off of that and then another month before the new medicine would kick in, and the thought of that is more frightening than all of the problems associated with taking an MAOI.

One of the biggest problems is that men are notoriously bad at seeking help for mental health issues. Not to get too social sciencey about it, but the patriarchal society we live in promotes the idea that men aren't supposed to give into emotions. It is stigmatized. This is something that is still existent, today, and is hitting teenagers hard. Now, don't confuse what I am saying, seeking help for mental health issues is an issue that is stigmatized for any gender, but men experience it in a stronger way. It's becoming more and more acceptable, but it's still something people have difficulty talking about. I try to be open about it because change starts with a single person. If being open about this can cause just one person to gain the courage to seek the help they need, then it's worth it.

(02-22-2018, 04:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have this conversation with people all the time. There are some people that "pill shame" people that treat depression and anxiety with medication, but there is a biological component to this that cannot be overlooked. Some people can do fine with psychotherapy alone, some with medication alone, some need a combination. I'm in that last category. I actually went for years without anything, stopped treatment because I lost insurance. For the past three years, though, things have been rough. I finally got up the motivation to make changes this year and get back on medication and see a therapist.

I recently began taking cymbalta for frequent migraines. In addition to being an antidepressant, it prevents migraines as well.

The side effects were ridiculous at first and the persisting one is an inability to focus at work or grad school. A coworker is also taking it for nerve damage and the two of us were discussing the different side effects we have been dealing with. My doctor and I decided that we'd begin easing me off of it and I'll just deal with migraines. 

I can understand why kids, and adults, who need to be taking medication stop or seek to self medicate because the symptoms are just insane sometimes... but despite that, many people have told me that for them they know it's better than feeling the way they do off the medicine. 

There's no reason to shame anyone from taking medication that works for them. Like you said, therapy alone works for some, but it's not a one size fits all solution. Some people need medication.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]