Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling quote from Carson Palmer
(07-29-2015, 02:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You're right. Marvin made empty threats and Mike Brown called his bluff

Again, I don't claim to speak for Carson nor do I actually know him but it looks like he and Marvin sort of united to push Mike Brown to make some actual moves other football franchises made years earlier and Marvin caved in and backed out on his side of the demands.  So Carson was faced not only with continuing to play with a stubborn and lazy owner, but he also had a HC who said he'd hold out and then didn't hold up his end of the bargain.  I'd want out, too.  Again, people don't remember or realize Marvin Lewis threatened to QUIT as much as Palmer did, but since Marvin surrendered I guess we forgive and forget.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:19 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Carson didn't leave the Bengals for the Cardinals.  He left for the Raiders.  He was traded by the Raiders to the Cardinals.  His replacement has started 4 straight playoff games in that stretch.  How many has he started?  

Who cares?  The fact that Bengals fans can call 4 straight 12-place ribbons a string of success just substantiates Carson's frustration with this franchise.  Carson Palmer is a professional QB a decade running, not some success-starved nobody Bengals fan.  We can't project our own satisfaction with this franchise onto a professional player, because 4 straight one-n-dones shouldn't please anyone outside of a desperate fan base in Cincy and a few other sad venues.

Carson isn't a Bengals fan, quit expecting him to react like one.  to think any professional football player, much less Carson Palmer is envious of the Bengals going 9-7 and losing to TJ Yates in the playoffs is absurd. Heck, if there is anything Carson can lament it's the fact that Mike Brown didn't entertain offers to ship him back to his ol' buddy Pete Carroll in Seattle before they went down the Flynn/Wilson road. Yes, Carson could be a Seahawk now. That's something worth lamenting, not what this team has been up to.
Reply/Quote
 "There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

This is believable but also hard to believe.  It seemed that every guy Carson wanted we ended up getting.  Yeah, most of them were over the hill but when he mentioned names to the media and sometime before the season started, that guy mentioned from him was on the team.  Hell, MB even signed his little brother.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 05:04 PM)Football Bender Wrote:  "There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

This is believable but also hard to believe.  It seemed that every guy Carson wanted we ended up getting.  Yeah, most of them were over the hill but when he mentioned names to the media and sometime before the season started, that guy mentioned from him was on the team.  Hell, MB even signed his little brother.

I don't think players were the issue Palmer had with the team
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 04:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who cares?  The fact that Bengals fans can call 4 straight 12-place ribbons a string of success just substantiates Carson's frustration with this franchise.  Carson Palmer is a professional QB a decade running, not some success-starved nobody Bengals fan.  We can't project our own satisfaction with this franchise onto a professional player, because 4 straight one-n-dones shouldn't please anyone outside of a desperate fan base in Cincy and a few other sad venues.

Carson isn't a Bengals fan, quit expecting him to react like one.  to think any professional football player, much less Carson Palmer is envious of the Bengals going 9-7 and losing to TJ Yates in the playoffs is absurd.  Heck, if there is anything Carson can lament it's the fact that Mike Brown didn't entertain offers to ship him back to his ol' buddy Pete Carroll in Seattle before they went down the Flynn/Wilson road.  Yes, Carson could be a Seahawk now.  That's something worth lamenting, not what this team has been up to.

Carson leaves because he wants to play for a more successful team.

Instead, he goes to the Raiders who haven't had the success the Bengals have had since he left. 

That's the only point I'm making.  Nobody is all that "envioius" of what he's accomplished since he left here.

I could care less.  Just pointing out if he wanted to play for a more successful franchise he should have stayed put.  
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:48 PM)McC Wrote: Well, good.  Maybe now people can finally stop saying the fans ran him out of town.
None of the current players give a **** what we think either...  Nor should they.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 04:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who cares?  The fact that Bengals fans can call 4 straight 12-place ribbons a string of success just substantiates Carson's frustration with this franchise.  Carson Palmer is a professional QB a decade running, not some success-starved nobody Bengals fan.  We can't project our own satisfaction with this franchise onto a professional player, because 4 straight one-n-dones shouldn't please anyone outside of a desperate fan base in Cincy and a few other sad venues.

Carson isn't a Bengals fan, quit expecting him to react like one.  to think any professional football player, much less Carson Palmer is envious of the Bengals going 9-7 and losing to TJ Yates in the playoffs is absurd.  Heck, if there is anything Carson can lament it's the fact that Mike Brown didn't entertain offers to ship him back to his ol' buddy Pete Carroll in Seattle before they went down the Flynn/Wilson road.  Yes, Carson could be a Seahawk now.  That's something worth lamenting, not what this team has been up to.
Carson has done less than that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 06:13 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Carson leaves because he wants to play for a more successful team.

Instead, he goes to the Raiders who haven't had the success the Bengals have had since he left. 

That's the only point I'm making.  Nobody is all that "envioius" of what he's accomplished since he left here.

I could care less.  Just pointing out if he wanted to play for a more successful franchise he should have stayed put.  

When did Carson say he was leaving because he wanted to play for a more successful team?  He said he had ideas to improve the franchise that weren't being considered by the front office so he wanted to move on.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 06:42 PM)jason Wrote: Carson has done less than that.

That's not the point, but the fact that I'm trying to interject logic and motive into a situation where the detractors can't stop saying "I don't care" and "I could [sic] care less" really says it all.  Again, let's just declare victory.  

The Bengals made the playoffs 4 years in a row, therefore any accusations of wrongdoing or laziness or cheapness on Mike Brown's must be fraudulent.  As long as Carson Palmer doesn't leave Cincinnati and win more than the Bengals Mike Brown must have been "right" the whole time.  Go figure.

Again, comparing an entire franchise to the career achievements of an ultimately underwhelming 35 year old QB and saying "Welp, we made the playoffs more than Carson Palmer, so WIN" just seems feh.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:37 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/05-still-alive/fbadda16-647c-4e8d-abda-876a97415b47

Palmer has apparently answered the question a lot of us have been wondering for nearly five years: why did you leave the Bengals? Many thought it had a lot to do with the fan base. It appears as if that wasn't the case:

Palmer’s exit has been well documented. He demanded a trade before the 2011 season with four years left on his deal and sat out until they shipped him to Oakland in October and the Bengals haven’t missed the playoffs since. Palmer wasn’t happy with what he called “a lack of offseason moves,’ during his tenure, although the same administration has built a team that has averaged 10 wins since they drafted Andy Dalton to replace him.

“The Bengals have phenomenal fans. Everybody thought I had a problem with the fans,” Palmer says. “That was the biggest misconception. I get back to Cincinnati three times a year. I take my kids hunting there. I loved it there. There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

Well there we have it. Question answered... Although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were more to it that Carson's not telling us.
That quote is not recent.  It's a couple of years old, although I can't remember where I originally read it.  I seem to recall reading it in the newspaper while I was in Cali (San Jose's, maybe?).  I seem to recall lI aughed to myself while reading the part about getting back 3 times a year, as it was his first offseason as a Raider.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 06:13 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Carson leaves because he wants to play for a more successful team.

......and yet, even the lowly Raiders have played in a Super Bowl since we last won a playoff game......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 07:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......and yet, even the lowly Raiders have played in a Super Bowl since we last won a playoff game......

I am sure their fans are still savoring that.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 09:38 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I am sure their fans are still savoring that.

Coming from someone who is a Bengals fan with friends who are Steelers, Giants, Patriots, and Packers fans I can assure you winning the Super Bowl is a happiness that doesn't wear off.  I can also tell you not one of them has envied me for liking at team that stalls out in the opening round 6 times in the past decade.  I might just have mean friends, though.
Reply/Quote

It wasn't that he wanted to play for a "more successful team"

It's that he wanted to play somewhere, anywhere with at least some chance of success. As he felt there wasn't any without serious change (Marvin) here.
Reply/Quote
So what you're saying is there's a chance Carson likes us?  :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:51 PM)Utts Wrote: So what you're saying is there's a chance Carson likes us?  :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Trade Dalton for Palmer?!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Coming from someone who is a Bengals fan with friends who are Steelers, Giants, Patriots, and Packers fans I can assure you winning the Super Bowl is a happiness that doesn't wear off.  I can also tell you not one of them has envied me for liking at team that stalls out in the opening round 6 times in the past decade.  I might just have mean friends, though.

That's why I only hang out with Browns fans. Yeah, they won a playoff game in 1993 or some bullshit but they envy our team seeing we're at least in the playoff discussion every year and not a national punchline.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Trade Dalton for Palmer?!

Ha, I figured it would become a Dalton vs. Palmer thread eventually.  On the one hand Dalton's win % and playoff appearances demolish Carson 

BUT

The experts say the Cardinals could/could have won it all IF Carson stays healthy

vs

The experts saying the Bengals could/could have won it all if Dalton wasn't their QB
Reply/Quote
I tried to stay quiet but I cannot do it any longer.

WTF do folks expect Carson to say?
“I quit because my wife told me to”
“I quit because the fans hurt my feelings”
“I quit because I missed the West Coast”

The bottom line is the guy quit on his team, city, and team mates and he did this while there was a lockout going on. At the time when a team needed a leader the most; Carson was fueling his selfish needs and left his incompetent brother trying to put together the pieces.

I have zero idea how anybody can “respect” what this guy did. Folks now hear him say “lack of moves” and automatically point the finger at the coach that has taken us from laughing stock to a team you can write in to the post season year in and year out. This team did all they could to keep Carson happy while he was here. Bump Carson Palmer and anyone that respects what he did to this team. I hope his former team mates feel the exact same way.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I tried to stay quiet but I cannot do it any longer.

WTF do folks expect Carson to say?
“I quit because my wife told me to”
“I quit because the fans hurt my feelings”
“I quit because I missed the West Coast”

The bottom line is the guy quit on his team, city, and team mates and he did this while there was a lockout going on. At the time when a team needed a leader the most; Carson was fueling his selfish needs and left his incompetent brother trying to put together the pieces.

I have zero idea how anybody can “respect” what this guy did. Folks now hear him say “lack of moves” and automatically point the finger at the coach that has taken us from laughing stock to a team you can write in to the post season year in and year out. This team did all they could to keep Carson happy while he was here. Bump Carson Palmer and anyone that respects what he did to this team. I hope his former team mates feel the exact same way.

I for one have little to no respect for what Palmer did, and more importantly how he did it. I do however have some empathy for why he did it.

As for Marvin, I have respect - a lot of it - for turning this franchise around. But he needed to be gone after 08, he should have been gone after 10 for sure !

But his run of taking this team anywhere at all peaked long ago ! And without an epic shift in how this team is run isn't going to change anytime soon. I hold out hope it will, but deep inside I know it's mostly a pipe dream to believe anything will change under the current Owner/HC.
Reply/Quote