Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennessee Church Shooting
CNN Report

No motive yet but I'm thinking mental illness.
(09-25-2017, 12:48 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: CNN Report

No motive yet but I'm thinking mental illness.

Was this the guy dressed as a clown?

You're probably right.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Props to the 22 yr old usher.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Why is no one interested in this story? I find that odd.

Is it because we have become used to things like this happening?
(09-27-2017, 02:03 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why is no one interested in this story? I find that odd.

I can only speak for myself but Americans shooting each other has sadly become enough of a regular occurrence to fly under the radar unless something particularly crazy/different happened.
(09-27-2017, 02:03 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why is no one interested in this story? I find that odd.

Yes. Half the country wants people to own firearms with no restrictions and no one seems to care about mental health issues. The result is a gun violence epidemic.

We've grown desensitized to it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-27-2017, 08:16 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yes. Half the country wants people to own firearms with no restrictions and no one seems to care about mental health issues. The result is a gun violence epidemic.

We've grown desensitized to it. 

Come the F on. Or it's an over-reporting/over-exposure epidemic.

We are still WAY down on violent crime from the 90s, and the US violent crime rate has been on a pretty steep decline since 1993 when it was almost 3.5 TIMES as much as it is now. Gun homicides have dropped 49% from 1993 to 2010, and non-fatal gun crimes are down 75% from 1993 to 2010.

The difference? You now have internet at your hands at all time, and 24 hour news channels, and every news agency and social media is focused on reporting every single death and every single shooting to the point where it feels like it's much more.

It used to be 20 people would die throughout the country, you'd hear about 1 of them and go "Oh, that's so sad."
Now 4 people die throughout the country, you hear about 3 of them, and go "It's an epidemic!"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-27-2017, 12:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Come the F on. Or it's an over-reporting/over-exposure epidemic.

We are still WAY down on violent crime from the 90s, and the US violent crime rate has been on a pretty steep decline since 1993 when it was almost 3.5 TIMES as much as it is now. Gun homicides have dropped 49% from 1993 to 2010, and non-fatal gun crimes are down 75% from 1993 to 2010.

The difference? You now have internet at your hands at all time, and 24 hour news channels, and every news agency and social media is focused on reporting every single death and every single shooting to the point where it feels like it's much more.

It used to be 20 people would die throughout the country, you'd hear about 1 of them and go "Oh, that's so sad."
Now 4 people die throughout the country, you hear about 3 of them, and go "It's an epidemic!"

The fact that violent crime is down in this country doesn't change the fact that gun violence remains an issue, especially when only Latin America and one African nation lead us in gun related deaths per capita. Statistics on mass shootings suggest the number of mass shootings have not gone down in recent decades and may have slightly increased. 

So, sure, we're doing better, but we're nowhere near where we should be with gun related deaths. 

It is because the motive is not divisive. It wasn't for Islam, it wasn't about sexual orientation, it wasn't because of abortion, and it wasn't about race (as far as we know).

Folks that usually publicize such shooting give less than a damn about the people shot.

Quick check on learning:

Who is Dylan Roof?

Name someone he killed/

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-27-2017, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is because the motive is not divisive. It wasn't for Islam, it wasn't about sexual orientation, it wasn't because of abortion, and it wasn't about race (as far as we know).

Folks that usually publicize such shooting give less than a damn about the people shot.

Good thing you started this thread then.

Wait....

(09-27-2017, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Quick check on learning:

Who is Dylan Roof?

Name someone he killed/

As to the this point: Who had their name in the news more? I heard the victim's names a couple time but the killer's name was repeated more frequently due to him still be alive and news continuing about his trial, sentencing, etc.

Everyone know the names of the victims in the OJ trial.

No one know the names of the victims at Waco.

Name someone who died in the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzerald (without googling it).
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-27-2017, 08:16 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Half the country wants people to own firearms with no restrictions

This is news to me. You'd think with such a large percentage of the population, I'd have heard from at least a few of these people.
(09-27-2017, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Good thing you started this thread then.

Wait....

As to the this point:  Who had their name in the news more?  I heard the victim's names a couple time but the killer's name was repeated more frequently due to him still be alive and news continuing about his trial, sentencing, etc.

Everyone know the names of the victims in the OJ trial.

No one know the names of the victims at Waco.

Name someone who died in the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzerald (without googling it).

There were 29 of 'em.   Wink
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-27-2017, 01:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Name someone who died in the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzerald (without googling it).

Um...Gordon Lightfoot?

I usually avoid the threads about shootings because it's a sad situation for all the families and these topics usually turn into a pissing contest over something stupid. I feel sorry for all the loved ones hurt by the senseless killing. I wish I could somehow provide comfort to their pain, but I'm at a loss as to how. I would regret adding to their grief by writing something here they might read and take offense, however unlikely. So I usually keep my mouth shut.
(09-28-2017, 12:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I usually avoid the threads about shootings because it's a sad situation for all the families and these topics usually turn into a pissing contest over something stupid. I feel sorry for all the loved ones hurt by the senseless killing. I wish I could somehow provide comfort to their pain, but I'm at a loss as to how. I would regret adding to their grief by writing something here they might read and take offense, however unlikely. So I usually keep my mouth shut.

I'm not saying you are, but this post almost comes across as self-aggrandizing.
(09-28-2017, 12:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I usually avoid the threads about shootings because it's a sad situation for all the families and these topics usually turn into a pissing contest over something stupid. I feel sorry for all the loved ones hurt by the senseless killing. I wish I could somehow provide comfort to their pain, but I'm at a loss as to how. I would regret adding to their grief by writing something here they might read and take offense, however unlikely. So I usually keep my mouth shut.

Isn't your avoidence really because the shooter was black, an immigrant, a muslim all rolled into one, and who tried to shoot white churchgoers, therefore rendering discussion about this person off limits?
(09-28-2017, 05:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not saying you are, but this post almost comes across as self-aggrandizing.

My brother was killed in an accident. I read some of the comments online. I would prefer not to be like those people.
(09-28-2017, 06:36 PM)Vlad Wrote: Isn't your avoidence really because the shooter was black, an immigrant, a muslim all rolled into one, and who tried to shoot white churchgoers, therefore rendering discussion about this person off limits?

I'm not stopping you from discussing anything therefore nothing is off limits and you are free to discuss anything you want.
Apparently a note was released saying it was retaliation for Dylan Roof. Racism comes in all shades