Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Tennessee Legislature expels 2 members
The supermajority Republican Tenneessee legislature today voted to expel two African American male Democratic legislators. The white woman, also up on charges, was not expelled.

Their crime leading a chant about justice after the Nashville school murders. Nobody did anything illegal. Nobody was violent. No one caused any damage to the chamber. They broke chamber rules

Essentially they were given the death penalty for what amounted to a speeding ticket. Their districts will have to run special elections, which these expelled men are eligible to run in, which will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. These 2 districts are overwhelmingly Democratic so odds are these men will be back in their seats.

And we wonder why our governments are broken

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I see. Make it a race issue.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Two men got kicked out and the woman got to stay?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 10:53 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I see. Make it a race issue.

2 black men got expelled and the white woman didn’t. They were all charged with the same offense. Convince me that race didn’t play into that. Even Gloria Johnson, the woman not expelled, said she wasn’t due to her skin color.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

The TN legislature first voted out the black congress-man;
Then they didn't expel the white congress-woman;
then they took a break;
Then TN legislature voted to expel the black congress-man.
Every single one of them did the exact same thing, and none of them did anything out of line, BUT only the two Black Congress-men were expelled. 

Buddy, it is what it is.  Ninja

I can see the NCAA and NFL threatening to boycott the state of Tennessee.   I for one would love to see Vrable on our staff. 
Reply/Quote
Tennessee is such a ***** mess.
Reply/Quote
Free speech my ***

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote

I hear ya.  Tennessee should have pitched the white woman along with the 2 black men in order to improve their optics of cracking down on the first amendment.  Blunder on their part. 
Reply/Quote

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.
Reply/Quote

Yep, that's exactly what the Tennessee GOP did. It went from being all about anti-democratic partisanship to being about that AND race.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Make it not a race issue.  Go ahead.  Explain it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: Make it not a race issue.  Go ahead.  Explain it.

Show me in the bible where it says the 1A and 2A apply to black men. 

On topic, I feel like seeing young black men protest gun violence probably offended white conservatives who are too happy to characterize their demographic as violent thugs. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Show me in the bible where it says the 1A and 2A apply to black men. 

On topic, I feel like seeing young black men protest gun violence probably offended white conservatives who are too happy to characterize their demographic as violent thugs. 

Oh, I'm sure the good ol' boys thought the protestors were too "uppity" too.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yep, that's exactly what the Tennessee GOP did. It went from being all about anti-democratic partisanship to being about that AND race.

It was actually four people.  The men got 69 votes and the woman got 65 votes. What really doesn't make sense is why the four people kept the woman. I mean if you are getting rid of Democrats, why save one even if you are being racist?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Show me in the bible where it says the 1A and 2A apply to black men. 

While I think it was a ridiculous overreaction, the first amendment doesn't come into play here.  They violated the rules.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:54 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It was actually four people.  The men got 69 votes and the woman got 65 votes. What really doesn't make sense is why the four people kept the woman. I mean if you are getting rid of Democrats, why save one even if you are being racist?

Accepting the premise these individuals are racist as has been put forth by certain outlets, you are looking for logic in the mind of a racist, a group of individuals known for faulty logic.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: While I think it was a ridiculous overreaction, the first amendment doesn't come into play here.  They violated the rules.

They did.

So did the member that peed on a chair and wasn't removed among others.

Expulsion has been used just three times since 1980:

Quote:Flashback: The Senate voted 27-5 last year to expel former Sen. Katrina Robinson after a federal wire fraud conviction.

• The House voted to expel former Rep. Jeremy Durham in 2016 over allegations of sexual misconduct. It was a bipartisan 70-2 vote.
  • The Tennessean reports a House member was ousted in 1980 for soliciting a bribe to stop pending legislation.
[size]
Before that, the newspaper reports, the most recent expulsion was in 1866, when six House members were expelled for trying to stop Tennessee from ratifying the 14th Amendment, which established citizenship for people who had been enslaved.[/size]

This just seems a *BIT* harsh for "breaking the rules".
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: While I think it was a ridiculous overreaction, the first amendment doesn't come into play here.  They violated the rules.

Fair point.  That would explain why the "but you said 1/6 was wrong" arguments ate bring thrown at the wall. 

The government has still cracked down on black folks who are following the rules, but alas these guys opened the door a crack on this one. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 11:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Accepting the premise these individuals are racist as has been put forth by certain outlets, you are looking for logic in the mind of a racist, a group of individuals known for faulty logic.

Tell me about it, you should see that racist smear campaign going on against Justice Thomas for following the Rules.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 01:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Two men got kicked out and the woman got to stay?

The 'White Woman' only escaped expulsion by one (1) vote.  So, there is that.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote