Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentative AFC playoff quarterbacks
Okay, since AJ McCarron became our starting QB, I've been skeptical about how far he can or can't take us come playoff time. And to be honest, I still am. But in reviewing the AFC teams that are currently in the playoffs if the season ended today, even I have become a little more optimistic. Why? Look no further than the starting QB list for said teams:

New England - Tom Brady
Cincinnati - AJ McCarron
Denver - Brock Osweiller
Houston-Brandon Weeden
Kansas City-Alex Smith
New York - Ryan Fitzpatrick

Now while the verdict is definitely still out on what we have in AJ McCarron, I think one can rightly say that he has the ability to play at or above the level of at least 3, maybe even 4 of those quarterbacks. Other than Brady the rest are just kinda ho-hum. I know there are flashes here and there from some of the others on that list, but Brady is the only one that truly strikes fear in a team.

Looking at what this bengals team has to offer as a whole and seeing the qb's that are on the AFC contenders has me thinking more positively today. It's still a long shot in my mind, but I do believe it can be done.

Hopefully after tonight this positive thinking will have grown even more.

Reply/Quote
I think Dalton will be back for the playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 07:59 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Okay, since AJ McCarron became our starting QB,  I've been skeptical about how far he can or can't take us come playoff time. And to be honest, I still am. But in reviewing the AFC teams that are currently in the playoffs if the season ended today, even I have become a little more optimistic. Why? Look no further than the starting QB list for said teams:

New England - Tom Brady
Cincinnati - AJ McCarron
Denver - Brock Osweiller
Houston-Brandon Weeden
Kansas City-Alex Smith
New York -  Ryan Fitzpatrick

Now while the verdict is definitely still out on what we have in AJ McCarron, I think one can rightly say that he has the ability to play at or above the level of at least 3, maybe even 4 of those quarterbacks.  Other than Brady the rest are just kinda ho-hum.  I know there are flashes here and there from some of the others on that list, but Brady is the only one that truly strikes fear in a team.

Looking at what this bengals team has to offer as a whole and seeing the qb's that are on the AFC contenders has me thinking more positively today. It's still a long shot in my mind, but I do believe it can be done.

Hopefully after tonight this positive thinking will have grown even more.

No way I can put him above Smith and Fitzpatrick, they are veterans and have also performed at a good to strong level this year.. Jets offense right now is playing as well as any offense in the AFC..   I would throw Brock and Weeden in with AJ and say any given Sunday one could be better than the other right now...   and lets not count out Big Ben... Jets have a very tough game in Bufflalo.. I don;t see Denver losing both of their last games so im not buying that way the Steelers could get in.. so to me it gets down to Buffalo game.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:14 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think Dalton will be back for the playoffs.

But until he's back, he's not right? At the moment the team is moving ahead as if he won't be there. Maybe he will maybe he won't. One thing about it, if he is back he easily fits right in as the #2 QB on this list. In fact, with the season he was having this year it could be  a 1a, 1b type thing with him and Brady. 

Reply/Quote
I don't put him above those guy's. my main point is that none of them, except Brady, are world beaters . I have the utmost confidence in our defense being able to handle any of those qbs.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I don't put him above those guy's.  my main point is that none of them, except Brady, are world beaters . I have the utmost confidence in our defense being able to handle any of those qbs.

well it is more than just the QB.. as I stated the Jets have a very balanced offense with a strong running attack and quality WRs.  our Defense will be tested against the Jets 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:21 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: But until he's back, he's not right? At the moment the team is moving ahead as if he won't be there. Maybe he will maybe he won't. One thing about it, if he is back he easily fits right in as the #2 QB on this list. In fact, with the season he was having this year it could be  a 1a, 1b type thing with him and Brady. 

OK, obviously Brady would be ranked first on your list.  I'll know more after I see the game tonight where to rank McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well it is more than just the QB.. as I stated the Jets have a very balanced offense with a strong running attack and quality WRs.  our Defense will be tested against the Jets 

You're right, it is more than just the QB. And that's exactly why there is reason for optimism. This Bengals team from top to bottom is as good as anyone. And maybe, just maybe, the QB gap between McCarron and the opposing qbs isn't as big as it could be.  We will certainly learn more tonight, but I think that list could bode well for us. 

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:48 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: You're right, it is more than just the QB. And that's exactly why there is reason for optimism. This Bengals team from top to bottom is as good as anyone. And maybe, just maybe, the QB gap between McCarron and the opposing qbs isn't as big as it could be.  We will certainly learn more tonight, but I think that list could bode well for us. 

I hope so also.. something we might need more than AJ right now is a better running attack.. will be tough against Denver which has the number 1 rushing defense.. I just like to see us limit negative running plays tonight and average 3.0 to 3.5 a carry against Denver will be helpful
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I hope so also.. something we might need more than AJ right now is a better running attack.. will be tough against Denver which has the number 1 rushing defense.. I just like to see us limit negative running plays tonight and average 3.0 to 3.5 a carry against Denver will be helpful

Yep, the running game must get better if we are to make any noise tonight and in the postseason. 

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 09:29 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yep, the running game must get better if we are to make any noise tonight and in the postseason. 

Agree.  We had high hopes for Jeremy Hill.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  Possibly immaturity.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:38 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: OK, obviously Brady would be ranked first on your list.  I'll know more after I see the game tonight where to rank McCarron.

On that note, you saw what Denver's D did to Brady right? Sad

This is going to be UGLY for AJ-Mac.

Our D needs to played SICK  - no - SICKER THAN SICK
Reply/Quote
J Hill needs to see an opening and hit it hard like Pete Johnson. Its good he is trying to be patient but when you see it, hit it, don't wait for something better. North to South. He has had some moments where he is starting to look better. Maybe tonight.
Reply/Quote