Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrace Marshall Jr.
(12-09-2020, 06:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You claimed he had 0 elite traits. His accuracy and ball placement on intermediate throws are as good as it gets.

They are... those are elite.
Reply/Quote
Trenches early. We wont see improvements in WRs until we get the lines sorted. With burrow and a good O line it would make an average WR shine.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2020, 02:37 PM)Bernards watch Wrote: Trenches early. We wont see improvements in WRs until we get the lines sorted. With burrow and a good O line it would make an average WR shine.

I maintain we have too many holes to draft for needs only. Go BPA. If we take Sewell in the first and bring in an OG in FA there’s no reason to pass on a WR/TE/CB, etc that you have a higher grade on over whoever the best OL left on the board is.

I would definitely like a DE in the 2nd, but only if he’s the BPA, or it’s really close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Looking at the athletics draft list there seems to be a few edges around the 35 mark. I feel that would be our biggest need at that point unless someone seriously drops.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At this point I think we're looking for WR3. I'd much rather spend our early 2nd Rounder on whichever side of the line we don't address in the 1st.

Give me a fast, slot guy later in the draft 4-5 rd. maybe someone like Chat Atwell out of UofL or Whop Philyor out of IU

My thoughts exactly. I'm tired of this strategy of building from the outside in by targeting wide receivers with our high picks. We need to invest in the offensive and defensive lines more than anything. Those position groups have a bigger impact on wins/losses.

Burrow can make due with lesser receivers, and he already has two really good ones in Higgins and Boyd. AJ might even be willing to re-sign for a cheap deal, with his poor production. If not, draft a receiver in the 4th round or later. We've got plenty of options at the position for a 3rd/4th wide receiver.

I would view corner as a bigger need than wide receiver--especially if we lose WJ3. I'd like to see a defensive play-maker of some sort drafted at the top of 2. Be that dline, linebacker or corner. I'd prefer dline, but you go BPA of course. Maybe that playmaker isn't there; that's the only scenario I look at WR/TE, if its a clear cut BPA pick. (of course this assumes we draft Sewell in round 1).

If Sewell isn't there in round one and we go with a defensive playmaker in round 1, I'd look at OG. But even if we took Sewell in 1, if the BPA is a guard I'd take him in a heartbeat. BPA all the way unless it's defintely not a need--if that's the case trade down.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 06:55 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: My thoughts exactly. I'm tired of this strategy of building from the outside in by targeting wide receivers with our high picks. We need to invest in the offensive and defensive lines more than anything. Those position groups have a bigger impact on wins/losses.

Burrow can make due with lesser receivers, and he already has two really good ones in Higgins and Boyd. AJ might even be willing to re-sign for a cheap deal, with his poor production. If not, draft a receiver in the 4th round or later. We've got plenty of options at the position for a 3rd/4th wide receiver.

I would view corner as a bigger need than wide receiver--especially if we lose WJ3. I'd like to see a defensive play-maker of some sort drafted at the top of 2. Be that dline, linebacker or corner. I'd prefer dline, but you go BPA of course. Maybe that playmaker isn't there; that's the only scenario I look at WR/TE, if its a clear cut BPA pick. (of course this assumes we draft Sewell in round 1).

If Sewell isn't there in round one and we go with a defensive playmaker in round 1, I'd look at OG. But even if we took Sewell in 1, if the BPA is a guard I'd take him in a heartbeat. BPA all the way unless it's defintely not a need--if that's the case trade down.

What are these options we have as the #3/4 WR?  Boyd, Tee, and Tate are the only WR's  we have under contract net year, not counting PS guys.  Tate isn't very good and is injury prone.  After the terrible effort he's shown at times and his diminishing play, I don't know that I'd want AJ back for league minimum.  #3 WR is effectively a starter and we need quality depth at the position, too.  I'm not saying WR or bust in 2, but it's definitely not a position we can just ignore until day 3 of the draft, either.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 05:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: What are these options we have as the #3/4 WR?  Boyd, Tee, and Tate are the only WR's  we have under contract net year, not counting PS guys.  Tate isn't very good and is injury prone.  After the terrible effort he's shown at times and his diminishing play, I don't know that I'd want AJ back for league minimum.  #3 WR is effectively a starter and we need quality depth at the position, too.  I'm not saying WR or bust in 2, but it's definitely not a position we can just ignore until day 3 of the draft, either.

I’m thinking more that if Aj can’t come back, Tate gets his spot. Then it’s easy to fill from there—whether that be with free agents, mid round draft picks, or resigning guys. I was also impressed with Uzo at tight end before he got hurt. Him and Burrow had a good connection. Definitely want him back.

What I’m against is tying all our money up in skill players, then not having enough for the offensive line. The Steelers have done quite well not drafting wide receivers high. It just takes good scouting. They use high picks on defense and it works great.

Drafting offensive lineman and defense will contribute to more wins than drafting a 3rd string wideout high. If you’re blocking can hold up for more than two seconds, it’s much easier to get open—making your receivers better. Better offensive line play also makes for a more effective running attack.

That said, if WR/TE is clearly the best player available in the 2nd round, like Tee was, you take the skill player.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 06:51 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I’m thinking more that if Aj can’t come back, Tate gets his spot. Then it’s easy to fill from there—whether that be with free agents, mid round draft picks, or resigning guys. I was also impressed with Uzo at tight end before he got hurt. Him and Burrow had a good connection. Definitely want him back.

What I’m against is tying all our money up in skill players, then not having enough for the offensive line. The Steelers have done quite well not drafting wide receivers high. It just takes good scouting. They use high picks on defense and it works great.

Drafting offensive lineman and defense will contribute to more wins than drafting a 3rd string wideout high. If you’re blocking can hold up for more than two seconds, it’s much easier to get open—making your receivers better. Better offensive line play also makes for a more effective running attack.

That said, if WR/TE is clearly the best player available in the 2nd round, like Tee was, you take the skill player.

Tate has shown nothing to indicate that he's capable of being a #3.  This was supposed to be his big breakout year and he got exposed.  He's fine as a backup/STs guy, but he is simply not good enough to be a decent #3 option.  Plus, he's been injured in 2 out of 3 pro training camps and ended the last 2 years on IR.

The Steelers have used their last three 2nd round picks on WR's and have taken at least one in the first three rounds in 7 of the last 8 drafts.  It's an expensive position to fill in FA, so they use the draft capitol required to make sure their top tier QB has the weapons he needs.  They don't whistle past the graveyard and trot out a guy like Tate.  

There are too many holes to fix in one off-season on this team.  We need to worry about putting a line in front of Burrow and giving him the weapons he needs before trying to fix the defense.  The only guy on this team that's shown to make the guys around him better is Burrow. Putting guys around him that he can elevate even further is a better immediate return on investment than spending another off-season dumping most of our draft picks and cap dollars into fixing the defense.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2020, 07:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tate has shown nothing to indicate that he's capable of being a #3.  This was supposed to be his big breakout year and he got exposed.  He's fine as a backup/STs guy, but he is simply not good enough to be a decent #3 option.  Plus, he's been injured in 2 out of 3 pro training camps and ended the last 2 years on IR.

The Steelers have used their last three 2nd round picks on WR's and have taken at least one in the first three rounds in 7 of the last 8 drafts.  It's an expensive position to fill in FA, so they use the draft capitol required to make sure their top tier QB has the weapons he needs.  They don't whistle past the graveyard and trot out a guy like Tate.  

There are too many holes to fix in one off-season on this team.  We need to worry about putting a line in front of Burrow and giving him the weapons he needs before trying to fix the defense.  The only guy on this team that's shown to make the guys around him better is Burrow. Putting guys around him that he can elevate even further is a better immediate return on investment than spending another off-season dumping most of our draft picks and cap dollars into fixing the defense.

I have to agree with everything you say here. I had high hopes for Tate, but he did not take advantage of the opportunity. I think people are really underestimating how thin we are at WR. If we’re not going to give Burrow a playmaker at TE, then another WR is a huge need. I don’t want to miss out on another DK Metcalf because we have taken WR completely off our board until the later rounds.

Reply/Quote