Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrell Owens HOF
Surprised not to hear much about TO going to the Hall of Fame this weekend. Except he will not attend because he did not make the first ballot a few years ago. He played for the Bengals so I'd think fans would get excited to have a Bengal voted in. He used to do a stupid talk show with Ocho Cinco when they were with the Bengals. That was the year Mike Brown rewarded the season ticket holders with a free bag of popcorn. What was our record that season? We know we did not make it beyond one playoff game.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
He only played here 1 season, hence I think most of us couldn’t care less about TO. He’s not going in for what he did in stripes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I don’t think any of really identities TO as a bengal so it’s hard to get excited a former bengal is getting in the Hall just cause they spent one mediocre season here at the end of a career that spanned so many teams. Chad Johnson or Cory Dillon would be diffrent; Wit when he’s done sure. Are we’re bengals; TOs just some guy that came to visit.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy for him and totally get why he's not showing up. The media trashed him for 2 years straight. Did they do that to Moss and Ray Lewis? Moss was considered TO's diva equal when they were playing, but he's since endeared himself by getting a media job.

Either way, no one in the media bashed Moss by saying teams couldn't wait to dump him (Moss played for 5 teams and was traded at least 3 times). They also didn't point out him quitting on routes or being a guy that was tough to deal with.

Just seems the HOF voters play favorites. They should be 100% consistent or have their voting rights given to someone who can be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
T.O. gave up on routes here and didn't go get balls if they were even slightly off the mark.

He's drama and a good player, but I wouldn't have put him in the Hall.
Reply/Quote
Brad, the man who has the second most yards and the third most receiving touchdowns doesn't belong in the hall of fame?

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
TO certainly deserves in Hall, but not really a Bengal at heart per short visit i town.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: T.O. gave up on routes here and didn't go get balls if they were even slightly off the mark.

He's drama and a good player, but I wouldn't have put him in the Hall.

Can you really prove these claims with numerous examples?

Outside of this board, I don't think TO's effort has really ever been questioned. It was just his attitude.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He is giving his acceptance speech at his and my alma mater UT-Chattanooga. He played both football and basketball for the Mocs.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Can you really prove these claims with numerous examples?

Outside of this board, I don't think TO's effort has really ever been questioned. It was just his attitude.

Watching at every home game that season is my proof.

Later, I’ll try to find game films that show it.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Watching at every home game that season is my proof.

He was part of the year's problems, but not the main issue; that team underachieved to death and had a bunch of holes that never should've existed.

Those can/should be blamed before Owens' play.

There still is the glaring thing, that Carsone had 12 or 13 of his picks, when throwing to Owens... But that's it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Watching at every home game that season is my proof.

Looking forward to it.  :andy:

(08-02-2018, 01:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was part of the year's problems, but not the main issue; that team underachieved to death and had a bunch of holes that never should've existed.

Those can/should be blamed before Owens' play.

There still is the glaring thing, that Carsone had 12 or 13 of his picks, when throwing to Owens... But that's it.

Well for one thing, you're always going to have more picks throwing at your most targeted receiver. Dalton also throws his most picks (by far) throwing at AJ Green. Of course, AJ doesn't catch the blame for that like TO did. Funny how that works. 

Secondly, Palmer just had his issues with INT's sometimes, and that happened many times when Owens wasn't on the same team.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Looking forward to it.  :andy:

Well for one thing, you're always going to have more picks throwing at your most targeted receiver. Dalton also throws his most picks (by far) throwing at AJ Green. Of course, AJ doesn't catch the blame for that like TO did. Funny how that works. 

Secondly, Palmer just had his issues with INT's sometimes, and that happened many times when Owens wasn't on the same team.

As I said, that's the only thing that the downers can claim; nothing else holds water, truly.

As for the targeted, "excuse," (I place in quotes because it indeed holds water, at times), Owens had 139 targets, Chad had 126.

Carsone had 3 or 4 picks when throwing to Chad.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Looking forward to it.  :andy:
These are just on Palmer's interceptions:

First play starts at 53.  Owens doesn't even attempt to come back to make the catch or break up the interception.

If you listen to the commentary at 2:55, he says "T.O. stops."  After the interception, he doesn't even make an attempt to go make the tackle.

At 4:26, he doesn't make any effort to dive or jump or give an extra burst to make the catch, nor does he attempt to make a tackle.

At around 6:40, he doesn't make any attempt to cut his route short and go up for the ball, but he does kind of make an attempt at a tackle.

8:15, he just gives up on the route and play when he realizes that it won't hit him in stride (that one is questionable on whether or not he could do anything, but he didn't even try).

Like I said, those are just interceptions, but there's plenty of plays I remember where he just gave up and it caused incompletions.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 02:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: As I said, that's the only thing that the downers can claim; nothing else holds water, truly.

As for the targeted, "excuse," (I place in quotes because it indeed holds water, at times), Owens had 139 targets, Chad had 126.

Carsone had 3 or 4 picks when throwing to Chad.

More chemistry with Chad. 1st year with Owens.

I saw Carson make many boneheaded throws that year. He's always had a propensity to do that, TO or not.

Just because TO was the target for many of those throws (for this one year) doesn't automatically mean TO was at fault.

We're talking about a guy that averaged 16.4 INT's per 16 games, with 3 seasons of 20+. TO was only present for one season.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: These are just on Palmer's interceptions:

First play starts at 53.  Owens doesn't even attempt to come back to make the catch or break up the interception.

If you listen to the commentary at 2:55, he says "T.O. stops."  After the interception, he doesn't even make an attempt to go make the tackle.

At 4:26, he doesn't make any effort to dive or jump or give an extra burst to make the catch, nor does he attempt to make a tackle.

At around 6:40, he doesn't make any attempt to cut his route short and go up for the ball, but he does kind of make an attempt at a tackle.

8:15, he just gives up on the route and play when he realizes that it won't hit him in stride (that one is questionable on whether or not he could do anything, but he didn't even try).

Like I said, those are just interceptions, but there's plenty of plays I remember where he just gave up and it caused incompletions.

First of all, you said TO quit on his routes. Not coming back to break up an INT - or not tackling the defender - isn't quitting on routes. 

I also strongly disagree with what you see on some of these plays.

- At 0:53 the ball was underthrown by a good 10 yards. This was just a poor throw by CP. 

- 2:55 I will give you. TO contributed to the INT by "alligator arming". This was an issue for him. Quitting on routes was not.

- 6:40 again a severely underthrown ball, and I really don't know what you expect TO to do there. Cut the route off short? He's not superhuman, Brad. He only had (literally) a split second to realize how short the ball was, and by then he was 10 yards further downfield, with multiple defenders between he and the ball.

- 8:15 I'm struggling to see where TO gave up on the route. He started to slow down only when it became obvious that the ball was clearly headed 5 yards behind him (into multiple defenders). 

In conclusion, it looked like vintage CP. He was capable of looking like an elite QB at times, but was also very capable of "what was he thinking" throws where he just launches it 10 yards off the intended receiver into triple coverage. We got to be on the receiving end of that when we faced the Cardinals in 2015:

Damn Larry Fitzgerald, quitting on his routes!
Reply/Quote
TO shouts out "Who-Dey nation" in his HOF speech (video starts at the 0:22 mark):

Regardless of how you feel about TO, it's pretty cool that he didn't forget anyone.

It would've been easy for him to just skip over Cincy seeing how it was a disappointing year, but now we have a Hall of Famer shouting out our team.
Reply/Quote
Dude was probably the biggest Cancer in the history of Team sports and to me he cost the 2010 Bengals a lot that year in team Chemistry. There is no doubt that he is an HOF and I don't agree with Brad that he didn't play hard( I saw him once run full speed to block a guy down field on a big run) but he was a complete Jackass.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: More chemistry with Chad. 1st year with Owens.

I saw Carson make many boneheaded throws that year. He's always had a propensity to do that, TO or not.

Just because TO was the target for many of those throws (for this one year) doesn't automatically mean TO was at fault.

We're talking about a guy that averaged 16.4 INT's per 16 games, with 3 seasons of 20+. TO was only present for one season.

the one real negative is it looked like carson was just trying to feed Chad and TO all season...

T.O. Wasn't the problem here... in 2010 Carson was disgruntled and still coming back from the elbow.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 03:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the one real negative is it looked like carson was just trying to feed Chad and TO all season...

T.O. Wasn't the problem here... in 2010 Carson was disgruntled and still coming back from the elbow.. 

Not to mention we were still stuck with Bratkowski at the time. 
Reply/Quote