Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you Ian Rapoport
It's nice to see that some talking heads actually do homework before throwing out a bunch of opinionated clickbait.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105068/article/bengals-expected-to-be-heavily-involved-in-free-agency
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hope so
Reply/Quote
I also hope so but I won’t believe it until I see it.
Reply/Quote
I was expecting some sort of quote from Mike Brown or Duke Tobin on this one.  While I like the idea of us spending more in FA he said he "heard buzz" and "he would expect" and then he points out that we have spent a lot on extending our own players over the years.

So, I'm not seeing anything in this article or interview that goes beyond speculation.  I realize this is what we want to hear and therefore it is easy to label it as "real news" but I need to hear something substantial from someone who is actually in charge of this sort of thing and even then I'll see better than I hear.
Reply/Quote
I believe free agency starts on the 18th. How they respond in the first 2 days will say a lot about how aggressive they intend to be. If we havent sign good quality FA's by day 4, we are just going to be business as usual and only sign when we are desperate and get players other teams have passed on.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I believe free agency starts on the 18th. How they respond in the first 2 days will say a lot about how aggressive they intend to be. If we havent sign good quality FA's by day 4, we are just going to be business as usual and only sign when we are desperate and get players other teams have passed on.

I honestly don't expect to hear news the first couple of days. I think the prices are going to be way high. 
Reply/Quote
The same was said of the Reds entering this off season. A lot of fans were skeptical (although the previous season with the trades they pulled off for Gray and Puig were a good sign, they weren't very active in free agency itself). There were concerns that you wouldn't be able to convince good free agents to come to Cincinnati, even if you offered them the money.

Well, the Reds overcame that and had a great free agency period.

I really hope the Bengals follow suit. If we could get 2 big legitimate free agent signings, that's be incredible.
Reply/Quote
While I appreciate the comments about what the Bengals may or may not do in FA, the main purpose of this thread is that a nationally recognized NFL analyst had some positive things to say about our team. After all the negative narratives from Mike Florio et al it's nice to hear good stuff about the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
It just cracks me up when people talk about how many holes this team has. Sure, there are a few spots that need help, but the only glaring needs on this team are O-line (and it sounds like RG and RT might be the only spots) and a really good 3 down linebacker. This team was crippled by injuries, but if they wouldn't have benched Dalton last year, we're probably sitting at 6-10 at worst.

That being said, I really don't want to see any deals on day 1 or 2. I just don't think the return is there for those guys - unless they bring in a vet O-linemen. I would pay for that and I would send Cordy packing making it a net zero.
Reply/Quote
Yeah... um... I’m fairly certain the majority of Bengal fans idea of “quality free agents” differs from the front offices idea of “quality free agents”
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote:  if they wouldn't have benched Dalton last year, we're probably sitting at 6-10 at worst.

Huh? Dalton started 13 of 16 and we were 2-14? 

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Huh? Dalton started 13 of 16 and we were 2-14? 

He would have beaten the Steelers and that counts as 2 wins?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He would have beaten the Steelers and that counts as 2 wins?

No he wouldnt.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I believe free agency starts on the 18th. How they respond in the first 2 days will say a lot about how aggressive they intend to be. If we havent sign good quality FA's by day 4, we are just going to be business as usual and only sign when we are desperate and get players other teams have passed on.

Pretty much where I am at to. Even though it goes against conventional wisdom, I'd like a Blake Martinez type player if he stays around 10 mil and lasts to day two. I'd imagine with the LB FA market we may be able to get him at that, but who knows. Would just like them to try it this year, but have a fine line of not over-paying
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
It's been a LONG time since I've allowed myself to get excited going into free agency, but there has been enough smoke in local media & now national media that I think free agency is going to be big this year. Big in the sense that we can cross off the first 25-30 names (outside of AJ Green) on the top 100 lists but can expect 3+ guys from the rest of the list that'll be quality starters.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He would have beaten the Steelers and that counts as 2 wins?

/checks calculator

Still doesn't get you to 6 wins lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:06 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: /checks calculator

Still doesn't get you to 6 wins lol

Yep, check your calculator. They definitely would have won 2 games he didn't start and I defnitely think they would have beat the Browns and Dolphins had he not sat. The whole thing took a toll on the team. But I get where you are coming from .
Reply/Quote

Yes, will always be a wait and see approach even if I do believe this would be the year to go pretty big in FA, at least relatively
big. We will have to pay Burrow down the road assuming he is the pick, now is the time to spend so we have the money to 
spend later. Joe Schobert and Trai Turner while retaining our good players is my high hope at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was expecting some sort of quote from Mike Brown or Duke Tobin on this one.  While I like the idea of us spending more in FA he said he "heard buzz" and "he would expect" and then he points out that we have spent a lot on extending our own players over the years.

So, I'm not seeing anything in this article or interview that goes beyond speculation.  I realize this is what we want to hear and therefore it is easy to label it as "real news" but I need to hear something substantial from someone who is actually in charge of this sort of thing and even then I'll see better than I hear.

Thought the exact same Thing. This is just click bait speculation
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:48 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Thought the exact same Thing.  This is just click bait speculation

Hard to get your hopes up around here that is for damn sure...
Reply/Quote