Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That sound you hear? Our window to compete SLAMMING SHUT
We had a good run. Playoffs in 5 years in a row. 5 out of 6 years.

Now age and free agency is tearing the team apart. 6 years is a long time in athletics.

We haven't had the good drafts to replenish talent leaving.

Our offensive line is in shambles...needing atleast 3 starting caliber players...and that's assuming Fisher pans out. Our 2 best lineman are leaving. Whitworth...our perennial captain...is gone.

Our RB's are question marks with our best one coming off of a late season severe injury.

Our starting defense was the 2nd oldest in the NFL last season. We arguably need atleast a DE, 2 LB, and a CB...and that's assuming Billings can play.

One has to wonder if a coaching change wasn't needed several years ago so that we could capitalize on our once talented roster. Maybe if we signed that 1 free agent to put us over the top. Instead...we are left with the knowledge that our cap was managed well...and memories. Memories of what could have been a big run.
Reply/Quote
And now, if next season is a bust, Marvin will chalk it up to the team's inexperience and then con Mike Brown into giving him another extension.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Oh, we're toast. No diggidy.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh next season will be a bust.

I actually think Marvin does good with teams with little talent. It's when you give him a talented roster that he can't take it to the next level.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:39 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Oh, we're toast. No diggidy.

Fourth in the North....
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh next season will be a bust.

I actually think Marvin does good with teams with little talent. It's when you give him a talented roster that he can't take it to the next level.
Marvin is a middle of the pack coach and only has a job because Mike Brown is Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
You guys are overreacting a bit.

We drafted Ced and Fisher to replace Smith and Whit. You have to stick to that plan. You can't give up on 1st round picks after one year. Especially considering Ced was coming off a major injury. Let's see how these guys do.

Paying a RG 10+ million a year is asinine. The Bengals are smart to let Z go. It sucks, but it's the right move.

Dre is the guy the Bengals need to re-sign.

Let's see how this thing plays out...it's still early.
Reply/Quote
I thought it was the sound of one of Dalton's vertebrae snapping. I suppose the two aren't mutually exclusive. At least we get to see what Bene Benwickerie can do!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:43 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: You guys are overreacting a bit.  

We drafted Ced and Fisher to replace Smith and Whit.  You have to stick to that plan.  You can't give up on 1st round picks after one year.  Especially considering Ced was coming off a major injury.  Let's see how these guys do.

Paying a RG 10+ million a year is asinine.  The Bengals are smart to let Z go.  It sucks, but it's the right move.

Unfortunately it's not.  This isn't the same NFL as it was 5 years ago.  Why can't you pay a RG that much?  The salary cap is $167 million and Cincy has a ton available.  Where are we going to spend that money?  It sure won't be on outside free agents? Are we going to extend someone?  That won't use up all that money.

You can't just let the young guys walk out the door.  I get not signing Whit.  He's older and at some point he will slow down.

There's no reason you can't sign both Dre and Z and still have $15 million to roll over to next year (where we already have a ton of cap space)
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:37 PM)Big Boss Wrote: And now, if next season is a bust, Marvin will chalk it up to the team's inexperience and then con Mike Brown into giving him another extension.

This statement can be used for the last 12 years or so. Or was it?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

We drafted Ced and Fisher to replace Smith and Whit. You have to stick to that plan. You can't give up on 1st round picks after one year. Especially considering Ced was coming off a major injury. Let's see how these guys do.

Paying a RG 10+ million a year is asinine. The Bengals are smart to let Z go. It sucks, but it's the right move.

(03-09-2017, 03:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Unfortunately it's not.  This isn't the same NFL as it was 5 years ago.  Why can't you pay a RG that much?  The salary cap is $167 million and Cincy has a ton available.  Where are we going to spend that money?  It sure won't be on outside free agents? Are we going to extend someone?  That won't use up all that money.

You can't just let the young guys walk out the door.  I get not signing Whit.  He's older and at some point he will slow down.

There's no reason you can't sign both Dre and Z and still have $15 million to roll over to next year (where we already have a ton of cap space)

Because Z is not that good? Can replace him with FA or draft pick
Reply/Quote

We drafted Ced and Fisher to replace Smith and Whit.  You have to stick to that plan.  You can't give up on 1st round picks after one year.  Especially considering Ced was coming off a major injury.  Let's see how these guys do.

Paying a RG 10+ million a year is asinine.  The Bengals are smart to let Z go.  It sucks, but it's the right move.

Ced and Fisher are going into their third years. That means both only have two years left on their contracts. Then The Bengals decide if Ogbuehi is worth giving the fifth year option.
Getting bad or no production out of first and second round picks until their third or final season under contract has really hurt this team.

I think either way, this team has to let Ced sink or swim at LT. If it means a miserable season or two, that's their own fault. Make better draft selections and/or retain important FAs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The sound I hear is people losing their shit over an old man switching teams.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ced and Fisher are going into their third years. That means both only have two years left on their contracts. Then The Bengals decide if Fisher is worth giving the fifth year option.
Getting bad or no production out of first and second round picks until their third or final season under contract has really hurt this team.

I think either way, this team has to let Ced sink or swim at LT. If it means a miserable season or two, that's their own fault. Make better draft selections and/or retain important FAs.

I thought the 5th year option only applied to 1st round picks?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:50 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought the 5th year option only applied to 1st round picks?

They do. We have to decide after this season whether to pick up Ced's option, and Fisher will be eligible for an extension.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

You seem to understand. One thing however is they could actually upgrade over Dre by grabbing a guy like Logan Ryan.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We had a good run. Playoffs in 5 years in a row. 5 out of 6 years.

Now age and free agency is tearing the team apart. 6 years is a long time in athletics.

We haven't had the good drafts to replenish talent leaving.

Our offensive line is in shambles...needing atleast 3 starting caliber players...and that's assuming Fisher pans out. Our 2 best lineman are leaving. Whitworth...our perennial captain...is gone.

Our RB's are question marks with our best one coming off of a late season severe injury.

Our starting defense was the 2nd oldest in the NFL last season. We arguably need atleast a DE, 2 LB, and a CB...and that's assuming Billings can play.

One has to wonder if a coaching change wasn't needed several years ago so that we could capitalize on our once talented roster. Maybe if we signed that 1 free agent to put us over the top. Instead...we are left with the knowledge that our cap was managed well...and memories. Memories of what could have been a big run.

I just hear the same Empty can rattling around
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:06 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: They do. We have to decide after this season whether to pick up Ced's option, and Fisher will be eligible for an extension.

Jim was pointing out my typo, which accidentally mentioned 5th year option for Fisher, not Ced.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Just ask Carson how well it worked out when we were too cheap to sign our last good guard. Whitworth and Zeitler were the only lineman we had worth a damn on a line that was absolute garbage last year.

Once again Mike Brown will prove why doing nothing in free agency whilst relying solely on the draft is very bad business. The whole lets draft good players and not pay them when they get too expensive is absolute bullshit. The dynasty known as the Patriots have proven that with good coaching you can win with anybody as wide receivers as long as you are solid in the trenches.

I'm so glad I was only able to watch maybe 2 games last year. It will make not watching football at all next year super easy.
Reply/Quote
Some of us saw this collapse coming...
Reply/Quote