Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The 2005 Bengals
(05-09-2019, 03:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: was Hue the OC that year?
he did nothing in that week leading up to the Steelers
game to throw any kind of wrinkle at the Steelers.
in the playoffs you cant use the same playbook as the regular
season.
that offense was vanilla 101 in the Steelers game

That seems to have been a Marvin staple regardless of whom the OC was.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
January 8, 2006... one of the worst days I’ve ever had for a variety of reasons. I won’t get into the entire day I had, but we all know what capped it off Whatever

Anyway, if the 2005 Steelers could win it all, so could the 2005 bengals. But who knows? Knowing what we do about Marvin Lewis now and his Primetime bengals, I’d say it’s doubtful they win. Though I think it’s obvious Marv didn’t have his hand in the offensive play calling back then...

Everything just fell into place for the Steelers after that game. They barely snuck by Peyton and the Colts. Jake Plummer completely fell apart. Seattle would have won if the refs called a fair game Whatever but Cincy would have had a completely different path to the Super Bowl. Would we have won it all that year? My gut says no.

I remember not even expecting to beat Pittsburgh that day, but I expected them to put up a great fight. We will never know how that game would have turned out if we had our elite QB, and I honestly hate to even think about it. Playing the what-if game here is nothing but depressing.

If Palmer never had his knee ripped to shreds, I firmly believe his Bengal career would have been very different (better). Be it mental or physical (or both), that knee injury ruined him. He was never the same for us, and didn’t regain elite status until 10 years later in Arizona. A whole lot of what-ifs that stem from that one single second on January 8, 2006.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Palmers knee injury was not an issu at all. His 2006 numbers were pretty much the same as his 2005 numbers.

What destroyed that team was having one of the very best O-lines in the league in 2005 then in just 3 years losing Braham to injury completely, Steinbach to free agency, and Levi and Willie suffering injuries from which they never fully recovered.

Oh ya, hmmmmmm

What would winning that game have done for the future of this team ? What if we would have won the next game ? The Bengals coming into 2006 with an uninjured Palmer and a playoff victory would have made no difference huh ?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:33 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: January 8, 2006... one of the worst days I’ve ever had for a variety of reasons. I won’t get into the entire day I had, but we all know what capped it off Whatever

Anyway, if the 2005 Steelers could win it all, so could the 2005 bengals. But who knows? Knowing what we do about Marvin Lewis now and his Primetime bengals, I’d say it’s doubtful they win. Though I think it’s obvious Marv didn’t have his hand in the offensive play calling back then...

Everything just fell into place for the Steelers after that game. They barely snuck by Peyton and the Colts. Jake Plummer completely fell apart. Seattle would have won if the refs called a fair game Whatever but Cincy would have had a completely different path to the Super Bowl. Would we have won it all that year? My gut says no.

I remember not even expecting to beat Pittsburgh that day, but I expected them to put up a great fight. We will never know how that game would have turned out if we had our elite QB, and I honestly hate to even think about it. Playing the what-if game here is nothing but depressing.

If Palmer never had his knee ripped to shreds, I firmly believe his Bengal career would have been very different (better). Be it mental or physical (or both), that knee injury ruined him. He was never the same for us, and didn’t regain elite status until 10 years later in Arizona. A whole lot of what-ifs that stem from that one single second on January 8, 2006.

I remember feeling completely shell shocked after that game. I remember feeling awful. I remember thinking that it was probably the worst I'd ever feel as a fan. Then January 2015 came along.

2015 will always sting more, IMO, for that small fraction of time where the Bengals had finally taken the lead and we all finally, finally, FINALLY thought that elusive postseason win was ours. When Burfict picked off that pass and ran down the tunnel, PBS was euphoric. Pure, unmatched joy. Fans were hugging each other and jumping into complete strangers' arms. Our moment had come against our most hated of rivals, but then... snatched away. Absolutely devastating.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:33 PM)Pat5775 Wrote:  that knee injury ruined him. He was never the same for us, and didn’t regain elite status until 10 years later in Arizona.

Bullshit.

In 2005 Palmer finished 1st in the league in passing tds, 4th in yards, and 2nd in passer rating.
In 2006 Palmer finished 2nd in the league in passing tds, 5th in yards, and 6th in passer rating.

He actually had more passing yards in 06 (4035) than he did in 05 (3836)
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh ya, hmmmmmm

What would winning that game have done for the future of this team ? What if we would have won the next game ? The Bengals coming into 2006 with an uninjured Palmer and a playoff victory would have made no difference huh ?

We started the '06 season on fire.

13 point win on the road against a playoff bound Chiefs team
17 point win against the Browns.
8  point win at Pittsburgh.

At that point Dr Z. of Sports Illustrated had us ranked as the NUMBER ONE team in the league.  What ruined that '06 team was a huge pile of injuries and suspensions.  Palmers knee was n ever a problem.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I remember feeling completely shell shocked after that game. I remember feeling awful. I remember thinking that it was probably the worst I'd ever feel as a fan. Then January 2015 came along.

2015 will always sting more, IMO, for that small fraction of time where the Bengals had finally taken the lead and we all finally, finally, FINALLY thought that elusive postseason win was ours. When Burfict picked off that pass and ran down the tunnel, PBS was euphoric. Pure, unmatched joy. Fans were hugging each other and jumping into complete strangers' arms. Our moment had come against our most hated of rivals, but then... snatched away. Absolutely devastating.

The only time I ever cried over the Bengals was after the 2005 playoff game. Mind you, I didn’t break down and sob. I got in the shower at halftime for meditation and washing sweat off (I spent the afternoon skiing). And it just happened. I leaned my hand up against the shower wall, my head in the shower stream, and just stood there and cried. I remember the initial reports on the knee injury were “potentially career ending”. Carson had just signed essentially a lifetime deal with the Bengals. It all came crashing down in one fell swoop. I thought he was done. I thought the team was done. I thought they would become the Bungles of old without Carson. All the excitement that season brought, all the hope for the future... all seemed like it was over in just a second. It was brutal...

That’s why 2005 will always be worse for me. It hurt more. A lot more. When they completely blew it against Pittsburgh in 2015 there was a small amount of sick satisfaction. It was kinda like... “of course. This team has no composure. No discipline. And they once again blew a game on national television the only way the Bengals can”. They didn’t deserve to win. Burfict and Pac-Man didn’t deserve to win. I was sick, I was pissed. But after all that happened I happily said f*** this team of punks. This team of choke artists. And nothing changed afterwards, like I knew it wouldn’t. No accountability, no reprimanding, nothing. Business as usual Whatever

The 2005 bengals team deserved to win. They weren’t known nationwide as a team full of criminals. They certainly weren’t dirty. They were a young, up-and-coming team that mostly everyone around the country was happy to see climb out of the cellar. The 2015 team was perceived as a team full of criminals (unfair) and dirty players (somewhat fair... just Burfict). They weren’t well-liked nationwide. People expected them to choke. And they did. They blew it in the most embarrassing way possible.

I felt nothing but anger and embarrassment after 2015. I felt nothing but heartache and despair after 2005
Reply/Quote
We would have lost to the Colts in the next week. I would say the 2006 team was actually better but had a huge collapse at the end of the season. Three straight losses to end of the year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 04:19 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We would have lost to the Colts in the next week. I would say the 2006 team was actually better but had a huge collapse at the end of the season. Three straight losses to end of the year.

Not just losses, either. Missed PAT in Denver to tie the game, and a missed FG against Pittsburgh that would've won the game.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 02:44 PM)depthchart Wrote: To me it is a little like having certain Teachers in High School.

The kids size up one Teacher versus another and determine what they think they can get away with.

The same kids may behave in one class but misbehave with a different Teacher in another class.

Would Peko/Burfict/Pac Man act the same way were Bill Belichick their Head Coach ?

Would they even have been on a Bill Belichick team to begin with or have been cut for melting down ?

I actually don't agree, as there were certain things that happened that had really never happened before even under Marvin. The whole Peko running on the field thing was very out of place, the late-game fumble followed by "the hit" and then Joey Porter instigating Adam Jones. It all felt scripted.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We started the '06 season on fire.

13 point win on the road against a playoff bound Chiefs team
17 point win against the Browns.
8  point win at Pittsburgh.

At that point Dr Z. of Sports Illustrated had us ranked as the NUMBER ONE team in the league.  What ruined that '06 team was a huge pile of injuries and suspensions.  Palmers knee was n ever a problem.

There were a few memorable losses that swayed that season. The 21-point lead the Bengals had against the Chargers that ultimately resulted in a loss. The botched snap in DEN on the extra point. The Week 17 OT 67-yard TD pass that knocked the Bengals out of the playoffs. Most of the Bengals losses were less than a TD difference.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually don't agree, as there were certain things that happened that had really never happened before even under Marvin. The whole Peko running on the field thing was very out of place, the late-game fumble followed by "the hit" and then Joey Porter instigating Adam Jones. It all felt scripted.

It is fair to imply that what happened in that game was not an everyday occurrence.

It was not a player free for all under Marvin.

Just that these players did feel free enough to react as they did under Marvin where they may have not done so under say Bill Belichick for fear of reprisal from Bill.

When you say it felt "scripted" what do you mean ?

Are you implying that Steeler Coaches instigated a "script" (so to speak) -or- that the events were so unusual/weird that it didn't seem real ?
Reply/Quote
Ahhhh  glory days folks.  Glory days.  Such great great times.  Love to reminisce about 2005 & 2015.

[Image: th?id=OIP.d7W1QOIKFOMbeIOGqQqv-QHaFj&pid...=267&h=201]
[Image: th?id=OIP.Cxt-A2sIf1lH3HsXTw-QfgHaGh&pid...=188&h=166][Image: th?id=OIP.pot9dSSPX9S_1j7u7kVgrwHaE-&pid...=256&h=173]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 05:06 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Not just losses, either. Missed PAT in Denver to tie the game, and a missed FG against Pittsburgh that would've won the game.

TJ Houshmanzadeh throat slashed the crowd after scoring that TD in Denver... Then they miss the PAT. I guess he should've went with the choke gesture.

God that's so Bengals...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 07:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Ahhhh  glory days folks.  Glory days.  Such great great times.  Love to reminisce about 2005 & 2015.

[Image: th?id=OIP.d7W1QOIKFOMbeIOGqQqv-QHaFj&pid...=267&h=201]
[Image: th?id=OIP.Cxt-A2sIf1lH3HsXTw-QfgHaGh&pid...=188&h=166][Image: th?id=OIP.pot9dSSPX9S_1j7u7kVgrwHaE-&pid...=256&h=173]

And I hope when I get older I don't sit around thinking about it... But I probably will.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:04 PM)NKURyan Wrote: No kidding? Gee, I almost forgot. 

That game in 2015 wouldn't have even been close with Andy Dalton at QB. They would've been up by at least two scores the way the defense played that night, and at that point there's no room for a meltdown. The only reason the Steelers were in that game was because McCarron did nothing for 3 quarters... I'll give him credit for pulling them into the lead at the end, but had they got anything from their QB before then it's not even a game IMO.

In mccaron’s defense the weather was pretty shitty (Rainy) the whole game.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 09:04 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: In mccaron’s defense the weather was pretty shitty (Rainy) the whole game.

I mostly remember it being unseasonably warm. I didn't even wear a coat or any layers to the game. If it rained at all I don't remember it being more than light.

You never hear anyone mentioning the rain when talking about Jeremy Hill's fumble.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 06:30 PM)depthchart Wrote: It is fair to imply that what happened in that game was not an everyday occurrence.

It was not a player free for all under Marvin.

Just that these players did feel free enough to react as they did under Marvin where they may have not done so under say Bill Belichick for fear of reprisal from Bill.

When you say it felt "scripted" what do you mean ?

Are you implying that Steeler Coaches instigated a "script" (so to speak) -or- that the events were so unusual/weird that it didn't seem real ?

The latter. It was so many things going wrong in a chain that it felt like a movie or watching a scripted WWE match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
2005 v. 2015:

QB: Carson Palmer v. Andy Dalton
RB: Rudi Johnson v. Jeremy Hill
WR: Chad Johnson v. AJ Green
WR: TJ Housh v. Marvin Jones
WR: Chris Henry v. Mo Sanu
TE: Reggie Kelly v. Tyler Eifert
LT: Levi Anderson v. Andrew Whitworth
LG: Eric Stienbach v. Clint Boling
C: Rich Braham v. Russell Bodine
RG: Bobbie Williams v. Kevin Zietler
RT: Willie Anderson v. Andre Smith

RDE: Justin Smith v. Michael Johnson
DT: John Thornton v. Geno Atkins
NT: Bryan Robinson v. Domata Peko
LDE: Robert Geathers v. Carlos Dunlap
WILL: Brian Simmons v. Vontaze Burfict
MIKE: Odell Thurman v. Rey Maualuga
SAM: Landon Johnson v. AJ Hawk
CB: Deltha ONeal v. Dre Kirkpatrick
CB: Tory James v. Adam Jones
S: Kevin Kashveharn v. Reggie Nelson
S:Ifanyi Othalete v. George Iloka
K: Shayne Graham v. Mike Nugent
P: Kyle Larson v. Kevin Huber
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:04 PM)NKURyan Wrote: No kidding? Gee, I almost forgot. 

That game in 2015 wouldn't have even been close with Andy Dalton at QB. They would've been up by at least two scores the way the defense played that night, and at that point there's no room for a meltdown. The only reason the Steelers were in that game was because McCarron did nothing for 3 quarters... I'll give him credit for pulling them into the lead at the end, but had they got anything from their QB before then it's not even a game IMO.

No doubt. Andy has proven to light it up in the playoffs. He's had 1 TD is 16 playoff quarters but he probably would have had 2-3 in the first 3 quarters versus the Steelers. It would have been a blowout.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote