Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2016 Offensive Line
Andy Dalton must be the toughest quarterback in the NFL...

...because the Bengals' offensive line is the worst in the NFL! Those five sides of beef couldn't block a thermal neutron. Ken Zampese can draw up any play in his playbook, Hue Jackson's playbook, or Jay Gruden's old playbook and the offense will still struggle to move the ball due to the worst pass blocking and the worst run blocking I've seen in Cincinnati Bengals history.

Even in the losing years Corey Dillon had holes to run through.

Even in the losing years Jeff Blake had time to set his feet and throw to Carl Pickens.

Now, in the winning years, Jeremy Hill can't find a gap because there aren't any and Andy Dalton is getting sacked a lot late in games when the Bengals should be driving toward a touchdown.

I've pounded the pulpit of proper technique on here. I've preached the gospel of leverage on here. These men get stood up more than a nerd on a blind date. I've seen great Cincinnati offensive lines in the 1970s, the 1980s, and even in the Marvin Lewis era from time to time but let's be honest: This team is not going to the playoffs and those big guys up front -- and their hapless coach -- are the slow, lumbering reasons why. I'm not even going to single out Russell Bodine anymore because they all stink including Andrew Whitworth.

There; I said it!

Piano Man, let's get real: Your 1990s-era "stand up and move back" technique is so last millennium. I watched Dallas and their NFL-best offensive maul Pittsburgh's defense. I've watched films of the old Green Bay offensive lines under Vince Lombardi where those five men won games with proper technique and creative blocking. I've watched film of Paul Brown's Cleveland teams where the offensive line opened gaping holes for Jim Brown and protected Otto Graham and Frank Ryan seemingly forever.

Fix the offensive line or bag the season. While I can't stand prevent defense, I'm tired of seeing prevent offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't add to it, so all I will say is WELL SAID.

Bang Head
Reply/Quote
Agree, well said.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It needs rebuilt. Unfortunately it will take time.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 09:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: It needs rebuilt.  Unfortunately it will take time.

If Marvin would swallow his pride and sign a FA OLineman or two instead of drafting mediocres "with potential", if could be fixed rather quickly.
Reply/Quote
I'm not seeing a quick fix.
Reply/Quote
Ill put money down that Paul Alexander gets a raise after this year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 09:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: It needs rebuilt.  Unfortunately it will take time.

Fischer, Bodine, and Ogbuehi were supposed to do just that.  Hand picked drafts by the Maestro himself.  He can't even coach up the guys HE WANTS. :paul:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:28 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Ill put money down that Paul Alexander gets a raise after this year.

He needs a raise in the rear end with a swift kick, as he heads out the door forever. Sick
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:16 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'm not seeing a quick fix.

You're right, but at least playing Winston is a step in the right direction and a rather decent improvement.  I guess that's why he only plays part of the game. Mellow

Reply/Quote
Worse news is after going heavy on offensive line in 2015 (and blowing the picks), we'll have to go heavy on the line once again early and ignore pass rush and safety.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: Fischer, Bodine, and Ogbuehi were supposed to do just that.  Hand picked drafts by the Maestro himself.  He can't even coach up the guys HE WANTS. :paul:

To think we trade UP For the first time in decades and of all the players we decide to trade up for.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: Fischer, Bodine, and Ogbuehi were supposed to do just that.  Hand picked drafts by the Maestro himself.  He can't even coach up the guys HE WANTS. :paul:

It's not like it is anything new, either.  We have known that our OL has been suspect for years.  They always get exposed versus physical teams, and in high pressure games.  Bengal offense has gotten by on Andy being able to get rid of the ball quickly, and creating a false sense of quality versus inferior competition.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

They will let Zeitler walk.  Probably re-sign Whit for another year to help with the transition.  And probably draft a couple o-lineman this year.  Heck they might even lose Winston next year.  It's a cluster, that's for certain.  
Reply/Quote
These are all PA's guys, and they all blow chunks. Whit is getting old, i'll give him that, but the other 4 guys are just disappointing.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:39 AM)jj22 Wrote: Worse news is after going heavy on offensive line in 2015 (and blowing the picks), we'll have to go heavy on the line once again early and ignore pass rush and safety.

Yep.....and have the same problems next year that we have this year.  Wonderful, thanks Mozart. :paul:

(11-15-2016, 10:40 AM)jj22 Wrote: To think we trade UP For the first time in decades and of all the players we decide to trade up for.....

Pretty disgusting....

(11-15-2016, 10:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not like it is anything new, either.  We have known that our OL has been suspect for years.  They always get exposed versus physical teams, and in high pressure games.  Bengal offense has gotten by on Andy being able to get rid of the ball quickly, and creating a false sense of quality versus inferior competition.

Yep, and a lot of us were blasted for it.  Called Dalton apologists, Hill apologists, etc, etc.  Just goes to show, some folks don't actually watch line play, and others will do anything to cover for their pet coaches.

(11-15-2016, 10:48 AM)Goalpost Wrote: They will let Zeitler walk.  Probably re-sign Whit for another year to help with the transition.  And probably draft a couple o-lineman this year.  Heck they might even lose Winston next year.  It's a cluster, that's for certain.  

Yeah, it is time for a FA or two that can make an impact here.....but we all know that ain't happening.  :whiteflag:

Reply/Quote
Our offensive line isn't aggressive. Evan Mathis was a bench player here then went to the Eagles and graded out as the best guard in football.

I read an article where he said that the Bengals used a passive offensive line technique where the defense engaged with the offense. When he went to Philadelphia, their scheme was more aggressive and they attacked the defender.
Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander sucks wind thru his ass - only Mikey boy would keep such an incredible epic fail.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:39 AM)jj22 Wrote: Worse news is after going heavy on offensive line in 2015 (and blowing the picks), we'll have to go heavy on the line once again early and ignore pass rush and safety.

Same thing with the secondary invested 3 first round picks at corner back and we still stink. I pray to god that the William Jackson III pick pans out.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive line isn't aggressive. Evan Mathis was a bench player here then went to the Eagles and graded out as the best guard in football.

I read an article where he said that the Bengals used a passive offensive line technique where the defense engaged with the offense. When he went to Philadelphia, their scheme was more aggressive and they attacked the defender.

Oh no......we have a sure fire first ballot HOFer coaching that group. Ninja  Someone wrote an erroneous article on him one time, he's the best.

Reply/Quote