Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2019 Draft is contributing what exactly?
I know it's too early to grade this draft, but it's not soon to poke fun at the front office.

1st Jonah Williams - Drafted injured and who knows for sure when he'll appear or even if he'll be any good at LT. Many teams had him listed as a G.
2nd Drew Sample - Ah, didn't catch much in college, not catching anything of note in the NFL. Did we really need to take a 3rd string TE in the 2nd round?
3rd Germaine Pratt - Can't beat out any of the piss-poor tacklers who are starting.
4th Ryan Finley - Well, he's better than Driskel.
4th Renell Wren - 1 tackle in 47 defensive and special team snaps.
4th Michael Jordan - Over his head. Westerman played respectably when he got in games last season. I don't trust Turner's evaluation of OL talent. We might as well have brought back catchup man. The fact that Turner was involved gives pause about the 1st round pick.
6th Trayveon Williams - Played poorly in two pre-season games and left both games with injuries. Has not appeared in a regular season game.
6th Deshan Davis - No longer on the team. Was picked up by Jacksonville, who then released him. Currently a free agent.
6th Rodney Anderson - Drafted injured, played in one pre-season game and was placed on IR following that game.
7th Jordan Brown - No longer on the team. Currently a free agent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Man, it's too early for this shit. At least wait for the offseason to arrive.. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, it's too early for this shit.  At least wait for the offseason to arrive..   Mellow

Do you actually think any of that's going to change over the next 12 games?

Reply/Quote
I got the uniform thread brewing.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Do you actually think any of that's going to change over the next 12 games?

Weather I think so or not, means nothing.  A football team is like a family, a certain group dynamic controls the attitude and tempo of the entity.  At one point, this team will remember their professional pride, and decide that they have had enough of the free fall.  They will likely regroup, and show some sort of renewed enthusiasm, and yes, likely win a few games.

Lord knows that the OL could use one of those "pride or die" type of meetings, and the defense as well.  It will happen, as soon as our rookie coach decides that he's had enough, and realizes that it's time to take a different approach.

So yes, I do think that some things are going to change over the next 12 weeks.  Do I think that this team will transform into an unstoppable force?  Hell no.  Do I think that they will figure out who's here to play and who's just along for the ride?  Most definitely.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hey drew sample was the best blocking tight end available! Think how much he will help our offensive line and the screen pass if we ever get it to mixon
Reply/Quote
I’m one that didn’t care for the draft but just like every year, this board grades the draft as an A and then usually picks the Bengals to Win 9 or 10 games. Why do 90% on this board do this every year?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 11:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m one that didn’t care for the draft but just like every year, this board grades the draft as an A and then usually picks the Bengals to Win 9 or 10 games. Why do 90% on this board do this every year?

Familiar with the term sucker?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 11:35 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Familiar with the term sucker?

Yes. I remember that I graded the draft as a C and said that it had te strong potential to be a horrible draft. I was told that I wasn’t a real fan and to go to another team. I don’t think it’s fair to judge the draft yet but I still don’t see what they were trying to do with their picks. Anyways, the team’s draft isn’t always an A and they aren’t always a 9-10 War n team.
Reply/Quote
This is the first year I turned the draft off. The draft is my favorite time of year, not joking. And I was so pissed I turned it off. I remember so many people talking themselves into thinking the Sample Pick was a great pick. I was happy with our first pick, but in the 2nd I really wanted another OLine player like Risner (who I think someone selected right before us naturally) or a LB. Looking back I’m not sure what LBers we’re still there but there had to be a better pick than the TE. And to be fair I’m sure he’s a fine TE and a great person, it’s the position we didn’t need at that point. I can’t believe I was worried when I thought the Browns might get Tobin a few years ago. Wish they would now. If you replace Sample and Ross with Olinemen we may have gotten lucky and would have a decent line right now. I just don’t get how this Oline can be this bad for several years and we only pick a few Olinemen in the first 3 rounds the past several years. We had so many picks to move around with and I don’t think we used any to move up for a Olinemen. We may have for Jordan, not sure again turned it off. If this team truly builds through the draft then damnit start drafting players that can make an impact day one instead of injured first round picks year after year. This team drafts like we won the SB every year and can afford to waste top picks on projects and injured players.

Damnit Brown, get with the times and do something in FA to fill some of the needs before the draft for once.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 11:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m one that didn’t care for the draft but just like every year, this board grades the draft as an A and then usually picks the Bengals to Win 9 or 10 games. Why do 90% on this board do this every year?

Lol. Yes that’s usually the case. But argue the Sample pick n on draft day weekend you’ll be tar n feathered. I thought it was the worst pick ever but what do I know. I’m just a fan.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:17 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Lol. Yes that’s usually the case.  But argue the Sample pick n on draft day weekend you’ll be tar n feathered.  I thought it was the worst pick ever but what do I know. I’m just a fan.

He's not even their worst TE draft pick ever. See: Brewer, Sean. 3rd round pick, 66th overall in the 2001 draft. 

He appeared in a whopping 3 games over 2 seasons with the Bengals and recorded absolutely no stats. Not a catch, target, not even a damn drop. He did record 1 tackle though, not sure if it was on ST or after a turnover.

Sample's already got 2 catches for 25 yards and a first down, he's already WORLDS ahead of Brewer.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:30 AM)Ravage Wrote: He's not even their worst TE draft pick ever. See: Brewer, Sean. 3rd round pick, 66th overall in the 2001 draft. 

He appeared in a whopping 3 games over 2 seasons with the Bengals and recorded absolutely no stats. Not a catch, target, not even a damn drop. He did record 1 tackle though, not sure if it was on ST or after a turnover.

Sample's already got 2 catches for 25 yards and a first down, he's already WORLDS ahead of Brewer.  Sarcasm

I remember Brewer. He went to my high school. He wasn’t athletic at all. Was a hippie too. Poly High.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:33 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I remember Brewer.  He went to my high school.   He wasn’t athletic at all.  Was a hippie too.   Poly High.

I remember the scouting reports after they drafted him (Brewer) "Will need to kick his pack and a half a day smoking habit" I read that and just facepalmed.

To the OP, I wasn't really wild about our draft overall back in April, but they're rookies, give em some time. Losing Williams before camp is the real dagger to the heart with this draft. They needed a rookie to step up and help on the O-Line and that rookie wasn't (and so far isn't) Michael Jordan.

Also, to the OP, Williams wasn't injured when they drafted him, he got hurt at one of the mini-camps iirc.
Reply/Quote
I loved the Williams pick. Sucks he’s hurt.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Do you actually think any of that's going to change over the next 12 games?

Yes.

Certainly outside of the first two rounds - and our first round pick is unavailable due to injury - I wouldn't be expecting rookies to start weeks 1-4. 

For rounds 3 and below in weeks 1-4 I'd expect to see growing pains in whatever limited actions they see. Weeks 5-12 I'd expect to see signs of improvement amidst the inconsistent play. Weeks 13-16 I'd hope to see them display greater consistency in an increased role.

You build through the draft, but it's not an immediate fix with the later rounds as you are essentially drafting players to groom to become starters in years 2 and 3.

As to which players develop, that remains to be seen. It's unlikely that they all will but it's equally unlikely that none of them will. How this draft crop develops for the rest of the season is  probably the single most important factor for determining the Bengals' future. If they develop under the coaching staff it will give Coach Taylor the authority to make more big calls when it comes to personnel (Free agent signings! Trades!). If they flop it's unlikely that the Front Office will give Coach Taylor license to make the Franchise changing overhaul that is needed.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 11:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m one that didn’t care for the draft but just like every year, this board grades the draft as an A and then usually picks the Bengals to Win 9 or 10 games. Why do 90% on this board do this every year?

It's called taking the bait.  What'd ya expect we've been bengalized.  Look that one up in the urban dictionary!

Oh look now, a flying saucer just landed in my back yard....
Reply/Quote
It's way to early to judge this draft class. Having said that pretty much nothing.
Reply/Quote
Lets be honest here, we have drafted bad the last 5 years and this is part of the problem.

Duke Tobin needs to go
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 11:48 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yes. I remember that I graded the draft as a C and said that it had te strong potential to be a horrible draft. I was told that I wasn’t a real fan and to go to another team. I don’t think it’s fair to judge the draft yet but I still don’t see what they were trying to do with their picks. Anyways, the team’s draft isn’t always an A and they aren’t always a 9-10 War n team.

You'd be a real fan if you squandered boatloads of cash to erect a Bengals man cave complete with a genuine, authentic autographed poster of Mikey in his golf cart.  I bet you never even considered getting one of them now didja? 
By the way..a REAL cave carved from REAL stone from the center of the earth.. None of that mere spare bedroom or empty part  of a garage mancave nonsense..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote