Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2020 linebacker draft class
(12-03-2019, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Evan Weaver LB Cal, Rd 2-3.

Since I don't see anyone mentioning Weaver aside from myself, I'll give some insight to him (both positive and negative).
Weaver could go as early as Rd 2 but could definitely fall to Day 3.
Weaver has elite production at Cal for multiple years. He's an elite tackler. He's always making tackles. Over 300 tackles the past two seasons(!) 20 TFLs the past two seasons.

Weaver's best traits are his instincts, tackling ability, gap assignment, shedding blocks, and acting as the QB of a defense.

You might be wondering why he isn't being talked about as being the top LB then?
Well, he's not ultra-agile. It's expected he won't test well at the Combine on speed and agility.
While he's elite against the run and commanding the defense, he's not a LB that can easily stick with a TE or RB in space.
In college, he's been able to compensate for this because of his elite instincts but that likely won't be enough in the NFL.

We know the Bengals need to get better defending the run. They need LBs with instincts. But they also need LBs who can cover.
As I said, I like Weaver for what he does well and think he can be a contributor to the team. However, I understand why the Bengals (and others) would shy away from him, at least until Rd 5 or later.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: In this order:

Dylan Moses
Simmons
Brooks
Baun
Bachie
Landman
Harrison
Brown
Tezino
Fisher

I am not a fan of Murray.
Landman is my sleeper pick at backer. He is playing for a bad team but is good.

What about Jacob Phillips from LSU? Was the leader of that defense made all the calls fast sideline to sideline instinctive backer who was asked to do a lot in that complex defense out there and did it at a high level. He’s my favorite When it comes to talent and value. He can probably be had in the 4th. Reminds me of Darius Leonard coming out... also I agree with you on Murray. He doesn’t break down and make the tackle his technique will
Leave home grabbing at air in the league. Not a huge fan of him a lot to do with just how early he’s being mocked. I’ll take him in the 3rd or 4th but honestly not over Phillips. Also love brooks too.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:39 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: What about Jacob Phillips from LSU?  Was the leader of that defense made all the calls fast sideline to sideline instinctive backer who was asked to do a lot in that complex defense out there and did it at a high level.  He’s my favorite When it comes to talent and value.  He can probably be had in the 4th.  Reminds me of Darius Leonard coming out...  also I agree with you on Murray.  He doesn’t break down and make the tackle his technique will
Leave home grabbing at air in the league.  Not a huge fan of him a lot to do with just how early he’s being mocked.  I’ll take him in the 3rd or 4th but honestly not over Phillips.  Also love brooks too.

I probably like him over Fisher at this point.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:39 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: What about Jacob Phillips from LSU?  Was the leader of that defense made all the calls fast sideline to sideline instinctive backer who was asked to do a lot in that complex defense out there and did it at a high level.  He’s my favorite When it comes to talent and value.  He can probably be had in the 4th.  Reminds me of Darius Leonard coming out...  also I agree with you on Murray.  He doesn’t break down and make the tackle his technique will
Leave home grabbing at air in the league.  Not a huge fan of him a lot to do with just how early he’s being mocked.  I’ll take him in the 3rd or 4th but honestly not over Phillips.  Also love brooks too.

Jacob Phillips is a solid tackler he very rarely misses one, but hes not explosive and doesnt make alot of splash plays. I wish he used his length more when taking on blockers and extend his arms. Also he's just average in coverage. He is a solid prospect in the mid rounds. I have a mid 4th round grade on him but I can see a team falling in love with his size and length.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:31 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Who are you liking and in what round?

The team passed on value guys like Cashman last year. I assume they’ll do the same this year and target plodders that are liabilities in pass coverage. That said, Simmons would be awesome, but they’d have to trade back into the 1st to get him, which will not happen.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
So here is the site I follow. I watch plenty of games but cannot catch all players, so I refer to this one frequently. I think they have made an error in omission with Simmons and would slot him in the first round. I do think though that the LB class looks light this year, mainly OLB which is where I would slot Simmons...I think they will correct their omission. https://www.footballcouchscout.com/copy-of-big-board-2020
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 09:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Jacob Phillips is a solid tackler he very rarely misses one, but hes not explosive and doesnt make alot of splash plays. I wish he used his length more when taking on blockers and extend his arms. Also he's just average in coverage. He is a solid prospect in the mid rounds. I have a mid 4th round grade on him but I can see a team falling in love with his size and length.

All the same knocks that were on Leonard. I’ve watched a lot of LSU ball and the guy is everywhere. Very smart very disciplined good tackler good leader. I think he screams Zach Taylor type. In the 4th round we should pull the trigger but I doubt he falls that far.
Reply/Quote
No mention of Dye from Oregon?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 08:13 PM)samhain Wrote: No mention of Dye from Oregon?

Troy Dye is the perfect fit for what the Bengals need at linebacker. He's an Outside Linebacker that has length burst and speed. Hes a good tackler and is always around the ball. Hes the best coverage linebacker in the entire draft and because of his burst and length is very dangerous off the edge as a pass rusher. 

Dye weakness is taking on blockers in the gaps. It's not that hes bad when shedding blockers because hes not he extends his arms and keep blockers out of his chest which allows him to shed easily, but when he comes down hill and meets a blocker he doesnt have the strength to push him. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 08:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Troy Dye is the perfect fit for what the Bengals need at linebacker. He's an Outside Linebacker that has length burst and speed. Hes a good tackler and is always around the ball. Hes the best coverage linebacker in the entire draft and because of his burst and length is very dangerous off the edge as a pass rusher. 

Dye weakness is taking on blockers in the gaps. It's not that hes bad when shedding blockers because hes not he extends his arms and keep blockers out of his chest which allows him to shed easily, but when he comes down hill and meets a blocker he doesnt have the strength to push him. 

I wonder if he'll make it to the 2nd.  

What are your thoughts on Shaq Quarterman for depth in the 5th or 6th?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 08:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Troy Dye is the perfect fit for what the Bengals need at linebacker. He's an Outside Linebacker that has length burst and speed. Hes a good tackler and is always around the ball. Hes the best coverage linebacker in the entire draft and because of his burst and length is very dangerous off the edge as a pass rusher. 

Isn't that usually a sign that he's playing "too tall"?  Admittedly, I haven't done any focused watching on him, but from the rest of your take on the guy, he sounds like he would be a good fit to pair with Pratt.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2019, 11:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't that usually a sign that he's playing "too tall"?  Admittedly, I haven't done any focused watching on him, but from the rest of your take on the guy, he sounds like he would be a good fit to pair with Pratt.

Hes light at 6'4 225. You can tell by looking at him he needs a sandwich and time in the weight room, but with an NFL nutritionist and weight room it doesnt look like a big issue.

If you watch check out his 2018 games when he was playing OLB. In 2019 they moved him to Mike while he had a good season he looks alot better at OLB.

Reply/Quote
Travelling over the holidays I was listening to Sirius NFL. One caller asked about the 2020 LB class and any elite talents. Gil Brandt was on the air and he said "there's always one that turns out to be" and he mentioned "The LB from Wisconsin". He couldn't recall his name because he didn't have his notes. But the player he was talking about is Zack Baun. Look at him in the 3-5 rounds.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2019, 12:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Travelling over the holidays I was listening to Sirius NFL. One caller asked about the 2020 LB class and any elite talents. Gil Brandt was on the air and he said "there's always one that turns out to be" and he mentioned "The LB from Wisconsin". He couldn't recall his name because he didn't have his notes. But the player he was talking about is Zack Baun. Look at him in the 3-5 rounds.

I think he ends up on the edge as a 34 Jack linebacker. 

If the Bengals start transitioning to odds fronts which looks like they are a 4th or 5th round for Zach Baun would be a steal in my book.

Reply/Quote
New player I'm interesting in:

Francis Bernard out of Utah is a ballhawking LB who should be available in the late (aka garbage) rounds. We could spend a 6th or 7th on him or he might still be available as an UDFA.

Reply/Quote
I'm really surprised at the lack of love for Murray. The dude seems exactly like the sideline to sideline player who can also cover the Bengals need really bad. If he is there in the 2nd I would be amazed if they didn't jump on him unless a glaring better player falls.
Reply/Quote
I'm a big fan of Chazz Surratt later on in the draft. Moved from QB to Linebacker for UNC, sees the field well, and is a heck of an athlete. He's done a lot of good things this year despite being raw at the position. I think he's just scratching the surface and his versatility and athleticism could go a long way for us.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
Dylan Moses has announced that he's returning to Alabama, which knocks out one of the higher end linebacker prospects out of the draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:25 AM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Dylan Moses has announced that he's returning to Alabama, which knocks out one of the higher end linebacker prospects out of the draft.

Not so fast my friend...but can I just say everything about that statement is weird as s*** to me. The weirdest thing is why is his dad releasing a statement titled " Trust Protector of the Royal Crown"? Also, there is no Lord's of London...there is Lloyd's of London. This is all just strange.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not so fast my friend...but can I just say everything about that statement is weird as s*** to me. The weirdest thing is why is his dad releasing a statement titled " Trust Protector of the Royal Crown"? Also, there is no Lord's of London...there is Lloyd's of London. This is all just strange.

Well...that sounds like a real stable situation. Yikes.
Reply/Quote