Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(01-31-2023, 05:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Apple hate is absolutely nonsensical.  

He is a CB3 that was paid 4M and played CB1 for team with 10 straight wins with him as a starter, again, at CB1. 

Apple may have been the best deal on the team this year.

Yep. Problem is people don't understand exactly all his responsibilities. They see a Bengal get burnt a couple times and now he's worthless when many times it islate S help, no S help, bad angles, etc. Apple can flat out play run support, too.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:11 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep. Problem is people don't understand exactly all his responsibilities. They see a Bengal get burnt a couple times and now he's worthless when many times it islate S help, no S help, bad angles, etc. Apple can flat out play run support, too.

I have a feeling our CBs are going to be exposed even more with Bates leaving. Bates did a ton of things that dont show up in the stat book. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have a feeling our CBs are going to be exposed even more with Bates leaving. Bates did a ton of things that dont show up in the stat book. 

He was really good this year. 4 picks, more passes defended, made the huge tackle on Andrews and was a real leader with those young DB's.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 01:23 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me:

1) Re-sign: Bell, Flowers, Apple, Hurst, Perine, Michael Thomas, and Scharping
- let Pratt and bates go, we need to make others priority.

2) Extend Burrow, Wilson, and Higgins this offseason or at worst 2 of the 3.

3) Cut Tupolu, D'Ante Smith and Brandon Wilson frees up 4.5 million cap

4) Outside Free Agents
- Jamie Gillan-P (NYG)
- FA guard on backup salary

--i'd focus more on extending our own guys this offseason

5) Draft

a) RT
b) CB
c) TE
d) DE
e) LB/Edge
f) OG

I agree with most of this, but the CB at #2.  With Awuzie, CTB, Hilton, and  Apple at CB#4 we're pretty deep there. We also have Flowers.  I think we need another Safety to back up Bell and Dax.  The jury is still out on Dax playing that position, or is he better suited to back up Hilton?  
1)RT
2) S
3) TE
4)DE/LB/ P
5) LB/DE/P
6)LB/DE/P, Take the best on the board with these picks at the positions no matter in what order. 
Reply/Quote
1. Cut Mixon: I don't even care much about the money. He doesn't make people miss. Chase is the only player on offense that is scary in the open field. Mixon is not a short yardage back; he's not a home run back; he's not a receiving back; he's not a blocking back.
2. Find a punter. Whatever ... but whoever is there better be able to take a snap and align the laces for McPherson.
3. Bring these guys back. Eli Apple, Pratt, Vonn Bell, Perine, Hurst, Flowers. With the exception of Bell, don't overpay. We need several TEs, and Hurst is better than the other guys we usually get.
4. Upgrade the OL. We should roll out next year with a very good OLine, but the backups continue to be liabilities even after several years to become average. Draft or sign depth.
5. Find that elite game wrecker on defense. YES!! The Bengals have been good at getting secondary guys who can come up and tackle. They need to have more front seven guys who can get to the QB.

Draft: Scary TE or RB, developmental OL, rush DE/LB, CB, developmental NT
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have a feeling our CBs are going to be exposed even more with Bates leaving. Bates did a ton of things that dont show up in the stat book. 

He is good and that is a solid opinion, but both KC TDs were on Bates in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:28 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I agree with most of this, but the CB at #2.  With Awuzie, CTB, Hilton, and  Apple at CB#4 we're pretty deep there. We also have Flowers.  I think we need another Safety to back up Bell and Dax.  The jury is still out on Dax playing that position, or is he better suited to back up Hilton?  
1)RT
2) S
3) TE
4)DE/LB/ P
5) LB/DE/P
6)LB/DE/P, Take the best on the board with these picks at the positions no matter in what order. 

Awuzie coming off ACL may not be ready the start of the season.

CTB and Apple are the only healthy boundary corners.

Hilton plays a totally different position and could not play boundary.

We definitely need another CB and Safety, even if we resign Bell.

RT is #1 priority for me as well.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Awuzie coming off ACL may not be ready the start of the season.

We did draft a safety in the 5th round last year that was hurt the whole year, but is pretty well thought of. I think they sign Bell and roll with Dax and Tycen Anderson and possibly a low cost Vet like Ricardo Allen a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
Hire a capologist. Someone who can navigate the Burrow extension along with keeping the young core nucleus intact. It can be done.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:18 PM)Tomcat Wrote: We did draft a safety in the 5th round last year that was hurt the whole year, but is pretty well thought of. I think they sign Bell and roll with Dax and Tycen Anderson and possibly a low cost Vet like Ricardo Allen a few years ago.

I question Tycen's "well thought of" status, but it would really help if he can play well.

Full disclosure, I was not big on trading up to draft him.  I see TA as very limited in the passing game and outside of special teams can only envision him taking Flowers role in covering TEs.  He was a box safety, almost linebacker, in college that had a terrible QBR vs good QBs.  I do not see him as a capable deep half defender, much less single high.

I would love to be wrong.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:23 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Hire a capologist.  Someone who can navigate the Burrow extension along with keeping the young core nucleus intact.  It can be done.

We know the cap just fine.  We also do not play the cap manipulation game as some teams can that have endless cash.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Apple hate is absolutely nonsensical.  

He is a CB3 that was paid 4M and played CB1 for team with 10 straight wins with him as a starter, again, at CB1. 

Apple may have been the best deal on the team this year.

So true, I don't care if he talks a lot of shit. Eli is a good player and is great depth at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Awuzie coming off ACL may not be ready the start of the season.

PFF.com best available at the position for our picks.  I have zero ideas regarding these guys, only what Pff is ranking them. 

1)Anton Harrison- OT-Oklahoma
2) Syndey Brown- S- Illionis
3) Dewand Jones- ROT- Ohio State
4) Jackorian Bennett- CB- Maryland
5) Josh Whyle- TE- U of Cincinnati Bearcats
6) Aubrey Miller, Jr.- LB- Jackson State
7) Richard Gouriage- OT- U of Florida
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:42 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: PFF.com best available at the position for our picks.  I have zero ideas regarding these guys, only what Pff is ranking them. 

1)Anton Harrison- OT-Oklahoma
2) Syndey Brown- S- Illionis
3) Dewand Jones- ROT- Ohio State
4) Jackorian Bennett- CB- Maryland
5) Josh Whyle- TE- U of Cincinnati Bearcats
6) Aubrey Miller, Jr.- LB- Jackson State
7) Richard Gouriage- OT- U of Florida

That would be a tremendously fabulous draft.

Jones will be long gone before the end of the 3rd and Bennett in the 4th would be a major stretch.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If you want this we would need to not only draft waaaaaay better but also trade Tee for a massive draft haul.

KC out drafts our personnel department by multiple tiers.

I partially agree. Yep they added a first and a second for Tyreek but they also got two starters out of the 7th and 1 out of the 4th. They’ve drafted well in 2020 and 2021. BTW Tee ain’t Tyreek but he’d probably rate a 1 and and something else.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: That would be a tremendously fabulous draft.

Jones will be long gone before the end of the 3rd and Bennett in the 4th would be a major stretch.

The next simulation I ran had us drafting.   Hilarious
1) Joey Porter, Jr. CB-Penn State.  Wouldn't that be something to see his Dad in a Bengals uni on opening day, huh?!?

2)Dewand Jones OT OSU
3)  Sydney Brown-S Illinois
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 07:32 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The next simulation I ran had us drafting.   Hilarious
1) Joey Porter, Jr. CB-Penn State.  Wouldn't that be something to see his Dad in a Bengals uni on opening day, huh?!?

2)Dewand Jones OT OSU
3)  Sydney Brown-S Illinois

Porter will be long gone (hopefully).

I know all the mock drafts have Jones available in the 3rd but I seriously fear he wont be there for us in the late 2nd.

Reply/Quote
I feel like Mixon is the most easily replaced on offense with a mid to late round draft pick and the cap savings can be applied elsewhere.

Collins was a disappointment for me. With the injury, I might consider releasing him for the cap savings, too.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 07:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I feel like Mixon is the most easily replaced on offense with a mid to late round draft pick and the cap savings can be applied elsewhere.

Collins was a disappointment for me. With the injury, I might consider releasing him for the cap savings, too.

LC will be a cap hit all season, he cant be released while injured.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: TJ Watt was drafted 30th overall is easily in the Top 5 pass rushers in the NFL.

It's possible to find a really, really good pass rusher late in the 1st round.

OL they don't need a starter, they need good depth guys, which can be found on Day 2.

You're comfortable with Williams and Collins as are starting T's next year? With no plan B?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote