Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(01-31-2023, 07:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: LC will be a cap hit all season, he cant be released while injured.

I read his prognosis is 7 months. I’m not sure when his 2023 salary is guaranteed? Start of new league year or start of regular season. And there is a possibility of an injury settlement.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 08:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I read his prognosis is 7 months. I’m not sure when his 2023 salary is guaranteed? Start of new league year or start of regular season. And there is a possibility of an injury settlement.

How is an ACL for a lineman 7 months?  It is almost always 10-12 months for those guys, add in his age and not so great workout history and it could be even longer.

Burrow's ACL was in mid November and he still wasnt truly ready to start the season and he has way less weight on his knee, Collins was at the end of December.  7 months for anyone would be a miracle.  Peterson returned after 9 months and everyone thought it was amazing.

Im worried Awuzie will not be ready in August.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 08:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How is an ACL for a lineman 7 months?  It is almost always 10-12 months for those guys, add in his age and not so great workout history and it could be even longer.

Burrow's ACL was in mid November and he still wasnt truly ready to start the season and he has way less weight on his knee, Collins was at the end of December.  7 months for anyone would be a miracle.  Peterson returned after 9 months and everyone thought it was amazing.

Im worried Awuzie will not be ready in August.

Didn’t Trey Hopkins tear his ACL in January and started Week 1 of the following season?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My main wants:

1. Cut Mixon
Nothing against him, but we just arent a running team. Paying the third most money on the team (12 million) to a guy that barely touches the ball and isn't super effective when he does is asinine. Draft some speed out of the backfield or go pick up a FA for cheap.

2. Find a punter.
Christman was freaking awful on Sunday and field position has been a problem for us all year. I am over it. Either draft one or bring in one in FA. It's a cheap upgrade that can pay huge dividends.

3. Bring these guys back.
Eli Apple, Pratt, Vonn Bell, Perine, Hurst, Flowers. None of these guys will break the bank and have been solid players for us.

4. Upgrade the OL
What happened with injuries in the playoffs was unlucky. The OL was OK this year, but nothing special. Go out and get that elite guy on the OL that we need. Joe goes from a good to best QB on the planet when he has time to throw and is comfortable in the pocket.

5. Find that elite game wrecker on defense
The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones. We need a guy like that on defense. Our defense is solid, but it's missing that one guy that can just wreck a game.

None of these things are huge asks. The Bengals have 44 million in cap space right now - third most in the league. Bates leaving and cutting Mixon would free up another 20 million at least.

Agree with Mixon but yo be honest I just think he’s always been overrated. How many times has he busted a 30-40 yard run? And how many times has he failed to convert a 3rd & short.

Disagree with Apple. I know he’s made some plays but he gets burned a lot too.

Agree with the D line.

I hope we aren’t content with the guys we have in the Oline now cause both Williams and Collins are average at best. We need some serious depth at Oline as well as both Tackles. If our line plays average against KC we win.

I’m most worried about losing Lou. If he goes then we really need a playmaker RB And better Tackles cause we will have to score 40 points a game to win.
Reply/Quote
Well, watching what San Fran went through at the end of the season, I would very much like to get better insurance behind Burrow than Brandon Allen.

Free agency will help them along the line much quicker than the draft, so I'd expect most of that sorted out before the draft, but I still expect some o-line to be selected no matter what they do in FA.

Hurst will probably re-sign. He likes it here and that's important to 2nd and 3rd chance players . . . why risk forcing a 4th chance while the 3rd one is still working out really well.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 09:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Didn’t Trey Hopkins tear his ACL in January and started Week 1 of the following season?

Yeah, and he was pretty bad the first half of that season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 08:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You're comfortable with Williams and Collins as are starting T's next year? With no plan B?

Williams/Carman at LT and Collins and a draft pick at RT? Yes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, and he was pretty bad the first half of that season.

I was gonna say that lol

Like yeah but he was horrible

No one really comes back from that the very next year.

I think didn’t Adrian Peterson tear his knee and come back the same next year?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Gotta let Bates walk. I’d love him back at the right price but nowhere near what he’s likely to want.

Bell, Hurst, Apple, Pratt, and maybe Flowers

Cut loose OL chaff and bring improvements that are superior to their predecessors.

Havoc-wreaking DE

Starting caliber LB (draft or FA)

A better backup QB. One who can actually play well enough to win.
Allen and Browning are not NFL caliber.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I don't see huge needs this offseason other than replacing imminent losses in FA and drafting well.

I'd like to see a first round DE that could develop into a game-wrecker. Our ends are good, but I'd like to see more pressure on opposing qbs. It would help the secondary out a bit with the loss of Bates if they didn't have to cover forever.

One thing they won't do that I wouldn't hate is bringing in a legit OL guru to replace Pollack. I don't hate the guy, but I think a top end OL coach could get more out of this group. I don't see them making any big acquisitions up front, so improvement might need to be found somewhere other than just on field personnel.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Gotta let Bates walk. I’d love him back at the right price but nowhere near what he’s likely to want.

Bell, Hurst, Apple, Pratt, and maybe Flowers

Cut loose OL chaff and bring improvements that are superior to their predecessors.

Havoc-wreaking DE

Starting caliber LB (draft or FA)

A better backup QB. One who can actually play well enough to win.
Allen and Browning are not NFL caliber.

I don’t think they’ll view LB as a big need. ADG will probably take Pratt’s spot, and Bailey is pretty decent behind him.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, and he was pretty bad the first half of that season.

I would say he was only adequate to begin with, but your point is a reason why I would consider releasing Collins and use that money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I would say he was only adequate to begin with, but your point is a reason why I would consider releasing Collins and use that money elsewhere.

I would definitely understand it if they did.

Reply/Quote
We can start perine and draft or sign a scat/receiving back. Mixon can’t block, too much of a liability there.

Hang onto williams and Carman, and find a stud RT somehow someway. Ideally Carman pans out, Williams as a swing/backup, and we have a very good RT.

Would you trade Higgins for a Great tackle? I’d consider it. Or Boyd?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think they’ll view LB as a big need. ADG will probably take Pratt’s spot, and Bailey is pretty decent behind him.

It’s a decent room, but I would feel much better with one more. Of course, can say that about every room. I do agree they’re not likely to address it.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Agree with a lot that has been said. My main things:
Shift from Mixon to a more agile, quick accelerating back who is a threat to catch the ball in the flats and scat. Resign Perine to be the short yard hammer
Draft or sign offensive line depth with at least one or two prospects who could boom and be an impact starter. The #1 goal of this franchise should be to give Joe time, he’s off the charts with adequate protection.
Draft an edge or two with length and twitch. Hubbard and Hendrickson are solid, and steady, but we need someone who can get to the qb in a hurry and it’s easier to find project edge that can than it is to find a guy like Chris Jones or Aaron Donald.
Let Bates walk, pray that Dax develops and draft another safety for protection/depth.

A few guys that have my attention I. Round 1 are Dawand Jones, J Gibbs, and Darnell Washington.
Jones has been crushing solid d line prospects at the senior bowl and has the wingspan of a 7’5” human. His potential is off the charts.
Gibbs gives you what I mentioned above, a quick twitch rocket out of the backfield who could shine in the flats, making the defense defend chase and Higgins deep and have to worry about the width of the field as well. Instant impact
Washington excites me because he could be used as an extra tackle but also has the athleticism to release and cause problems for anyone covering him. Lots of versatility there
Reply/Quote
I want a DeAndre Swift (minus the injury woes) type RB... A guy who's dangerous in space, and can take a check down for 20-30 yards. Not in the first round or anything, but it'd be nice to have that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Mixon gone- I like the ID of our team with Perine and William, and Evans as a 3rd down back.
Keep Pratt, Bell, Apple, Hurst maybe Flowers

1) Dewand Jones (OSU)/ Blake Freeland (BYU)- These guys have played ROT their whole careers so let's make sure we get one of them.
2) Karl Brooks(BGU)- PFF has him rated the # 1 Edge, but I like Ojulari here if still available. Uzomah is also a possibility.
3) Jaylon Jones(TA&M)- CB
4) Q. Johnson(Memphis)-S
5) Josh Whyle (UC) TE
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 02:27 PM)Housh Wrote: That’s 2 years in a row we lost because a teams star made a play

We need an X factor on D. With the cap going up and is likely cutting Bates well have money. We also may want to think about trading for a disgruntled star. There has to be a team that wants a 1st round pick

When was the last time the Bengals traded away a first round pick? I'm not sure if they've ever done it..I'm not 100% opposed to it, but it better be someone who is sure fire, absolutely cannot miss, impervious to injury and happens to wear a cape capable of deflecting a nuclear blast..possibly engaged to Mikes granddaughters and in good standing with mom and dad..and by the way also an Ivy League trained lawyer..and owns a really nice ski resort in the Swiss Alps..  Cool
I'd qualify except A..I'm injury prone, never even owned a cape, too old for Mikes granddaughters, don't know mom and dad, never went to law school and the closest I have to a ski resort is in South Carolina in my backyard and it's only about 40 feet to the lake and almost never freezes over...and B..I'm perfect! except for only weighing 170 and I'm 63 with a bad heart..  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 02:55 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Mixon gone- I like the ID of our team with Perine and William, and Evans as a 3rd down back.
Keep Pratt, Bell, Apple, Hurst maybe Flowers

1) Dewand Jones (OSU)/ Blake Freeland (BYU)- These guys have played ROT their whole careers so let's make sure we get one of them.
2) Karl Brooks(BGU)- PFF has him rated the # 1 Edge pass rusher
3) Jaylon Jones(TA&M)- CB
4) Q. Johnson(Memphis)-S
5) Josh Whyle (UC) TE

I would add Darnell Wright to the RT group, 1st Team ALL SEC hasnt allowed a sack in almost 2 years.

Has anyone seen Whyle play?  His traits are very decent.

Reply/Quote