Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(02-03-2023, 04:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont know how cost effective it is, but teams, especially us, want to see big dollars playing on the field.

Maybe i misunderstood you. When you posted 12M i thought you meant his cap hit vs a FA. 

I think i see it now. Him over Carman because he's making the money to be "the guy".   ?

This is the thing i hate about posting from work. I have to read and react quick and keep my answers relatively short. Mad

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 05:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Maybe i misunderstood you. When you posted 12M i thought you meant his cap hit vs a FA. 

I think i see it now. Him over Carman because he's making the money to be "the guy".   ?

This is the thing i hate about posting from work. I have to read and react quick and keep my answers relatively short. Mad

Yes, I meant we are paying him too much to not start and play. LOL

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My main wants:

1. Cut Mixon
Nothing against him, but we just arent a running team. Paying the third most money on the team (12 million) to a guy that barely touches the ball and isn't super effective when he does is asinine. Draft some speed out of the backfield or go pick up a FA for cheap.

2. Find a punter.
Christman was freaking awful on Sunday and field position has been a problem for us all year. I am over it. Either draft one or bring in one in FA. It's a cheap upgrade that can pay huge dividends.

3. Bring these guys back.
Eli Apple, Pratt, Vonn Bell, Perine, Hurst, Flowers. None of these guys will break the bank and have been solid players for us.

4. Upgrade the OL
What happened with injuries in the playoffs was unlucky. The OL was OK this year, but nothing special. Go out and get that elite guy on the OL that we need. Joe goes from a good to best QB on the planet when he has time to throw and is comfortable in the pocket.

5. Find that elite game wrecker on defense
The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones. We need a guy like that on defense. Our defense is solid, but it's missing that one guy that can just wreck a game.

None of these things are huge asks. The Bengals have 44 million in cap space right now - third most in the league. Bates leaving and cutting Mixon would free up another 20 million at least.

Adress the crooked refs that fix games.We were robbed of the AFC championship game.So many no calls on KC that gave them the win.I can show anyone that wants to watch that game.KC made so many no call pentalies that gave them this game.Why should I or any Bengals fan waste all our money all year long and then get robbed or the main game? Folks this has to be address by the leagues front office.I can show you facts that KC got away with key pentalies. Joe Burrow was hit after he got rid of the ball 12 times and it was NEVER CALLED. When mahomes was running the ball, a player slammed our guy directly in the back and it was not called. Our guy number 21 was defending a pass and was called for PI and he never touched the guy.YOU get the picture.Unless full time refs are hired they get no more of my money and Zac Taylor and Mike Brown should call the league out.I am going to make it my mission to get this addressed NOW Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 06:21 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Adress the crooked refs that fix games.We were robbed of the AFC championship game.So many no calls on KC that gave them the win.I can show anyone that wants to watch that game.KC made so many no call pentalies that gave them this game.Why should I or any Bengals fan waste all our money all year long and then get robbed or the main game? Folks this has to be address by the leagues front office.I can show you facts that KC got away with key pentalies. Joe Burrow was hit after he got rid of the ball 12 times and it was NEVER CALLED. When mahomes was running the ball, a player slammed our guy directly in the back and it was not called. Our guy number 21 was defending a pass and was called for PI and he never touched the guy.YOU get the picture.Unless full time refs are hired they get no more of my money and Zac Taylor and Mike Brown should call the league out.I am going to make it my mission to get this addressed NOW.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 06:21 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Adress the crooked refs that fix games.We were robbed of the AFC championship game.So many no calls on KC that gave them the win.I can show anyone that wants to watch that game.KC made so many no call pentalies that gave them this game.Why should I or any Bengals fan waste all our money all year long and then get robbed or the main game? Folks this has to be address by the leagues front office.I can show you facts that KC got away with key pentalies. Joe Burrow was hit after he got rid of the ball 12 times and it was NEVER CALLED. When mahomes was running the ball, a player slammed our guy directly in the back and it was not called. Our guy number 21 was defending a pass and was called for PI and he never touched the guy.YOU get the picture.Unless full time refs are hired they get no more of my money and Zac Taylor and Mike Brown should call the league out.I am going to make it my mission to get this addressed NOW Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger  

Yeah, have Mike Brown call the league office..... the refs have been bad for a long while, you might be going a tad overboard here but good luck on your mission.....

Reply/Quote
A Roller Coaster Season
nfltintedorange.blogspot.com

Remember Halloween?

The year started and we were all excited for Joe Burrow to finally have a normal preseason that didn’t involve zoom meetings or rehab. The team could come out of the gate strong, mow through the front half of the schedule and have a cushion for the difficult slate of Nov. and Dec. games.

That’s what i thought anyway.

Burrow didn’t even make it to the first day of practice before an emergency appendectomy on the eve of training camp knocked him out for multiple weeks of team activities and all three preseason games. The rebuilt offensive line (also sidelined for much of the preseason) flopped coming out of the gate and the team dropped back to back losses to bad opposing QB’s to start the year.

They bounced back to get back to .500 only to drop another in-division game to Baltimore. They handled lesser competition to get to 4 wins. And then Halloween hit.

2022 felt like the year where fun went to die. Scoring was down. Parity was running amuck. And a week after the Bengals finally started flashing some of that tier 1 NFL contender potential, the roof caved in with them losing Chase and Awuzie to significant injuries and the team looking abysmal in the Cleveland prime time performance highlighted by a disheveled Cincy offense transforming the previously inept Browns D into a fierce unit.

The Chase injury had the most gravitational pull as analysts tried to break down Cincy’s brutal performance on that Monday night. That did explain some of the choppiness to the offense, but the rudder of the team for the first 2 months of the season had been second half defense. The more crushing blow was the in game injury to Awuzie.

When D.J. Reader went down, the defense weakened some, but the dam held and they were still able to elevate to a stout level of play in spurts. The run defense was understandably a shell of its former self, but having a top ten corner allowed for Laboratory Lou Anarumo to compensate. Logan Wilson, Mike Hilton, Von Bell, all of the role players took turns. Anarumo could mix and match, stay unpredictable, and the secondary was capable of holding. Pull Awuzie out of the mix and the cracks would be too wide. The water would come rushing through. Losing Awuzie meant the ceiling for this roster was lowered to below the level of the conference championship game.

..That’s what i thought anyway.

Instead the Bengals proceeded to rattle off 10 straight wins as they plowed through the meat of their schedule. They fought. They adapted. Young players stepped up. Carter, Ossai, Taylor-Britt. Everyone chipped in. Week 16, an o-line starter went down. They forged on and kept winning. Week 18, another O-line starter was lost. They still found a way. Trey Hendrickson broke his wrist. The wild card round claimed the left tackle. And they just kept winning.

It felt great. But in the end the bandaids didn’t hold. The defense played admirably, but just leaked a little too much. By the fourth quarter the offense was sucking wind . They had a chance to seize the moment but the season ended like it did last year, 23-20 with a backup caliber offensive lineman giving up quick pressure to kill their last drive. Sure, this time the defense had a chance to hold again and give yet another chance to the offense and i crossed my fingers hoping for the best, but in the pit of my stomach i knew it was too much to ask. It was the same way i felt last year when the Rams were driving for the go ahead score. The Logan Wilson penalty hadn’t happened yet. The Aaron Donald sack wasn’t a thing yet. But i moved on to the business of consoling my son who was watching painfully but dutifully as the ship began to sink.

“Did you look at what happens?” My wife asked referring to the stream we were watching not quite being in real time.

“No,” i replied. “I’ve just seen this before.”

I knew. And right then my inclination for how the next season would go started to form.

“We’ll be back,” was the mantra from players and Bengals faithful licking the wounds of narrow defeat.

“Regression! Regression! Regression,” touted the analytics honks. “They’ll be a better team with a worse record.” The real answer was in between. The growth of this roster would outweigh the regression. They would challenge hard, but all of the breaks they caught in 2021 would catch up to them and they would come up short.

At least that’s what i thought.

It kind of came true, but in a strange way it didn’t. The season turned from agonizing to fun to agonizing to fun over and over again. The injury bug tried to spoil the party, but then it didn’t, but then it did. Controversial injuries to opposing players in prime time in Cincinnati sparked national headlines twice. It was a winding road, but the team stuck together and continued to break through barriers they’ve never been through before: Back to back division titles. Playoff victories in consecutive years. Curve balls kept coming, but they kept the blinders on and delivered. I was proud of their resilience.

Sure, the AFC championship game was a painful loss but don’t forget to enjoy what they accomplished. Being the talk of the league is fun. Not combing the standings to figure out the updated draft order every week from November to January is fun. We can enjoy it for what it is now and buckle up for next year.

As pundits everywhere have been quick to point out, the Bengals missed an opportunity this year and now it gets harder. Bills are coming due and ripples from their success are about to assault one of their biggest and maybe most underrated assets: Continuity.

Other than the offensive line, the starting units have basically been together two or three years. The coaching staff has been together for five. Unfortunately, that is about to change. Basically the whole secondary could be different to start next season depending on how Awuzie’s injury recovery goes. Anarumo has a second interview with the Cardinals (c’mon Mike Brown, dust off that Assistant Head Coach title and give that man a raise! Give him an excuse to stick around one more year to finish some unfinished business!). Brian Callahan has a second interview with the Colts and the best in-house candidate to step up should there be an offensive coordinator void to fill, Dan Pitcher, is interviewing for Tampa’s OC position. Some of these guys might be back. But all of them won’t, and overcoming losing them will be too big of a hill to climb to get to the top of the mountain next year where we all want them to be.

.. At least that’s how i used to think.
But with this team, now i can’t be sure.
Reply/Quote
Be smart, be Proactive and not reactive, and do not understate the players that are currently here(particularly on defense). To me this is the biggest offseason we have ever had.

1.) Sign Joe to a team friendly deal.

2.) Re sign Jessie Bates

3.) Trade guys you know won't be here next season. Jonah, Boyd, and Topuo should get you some trade compensation.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I want to see them do well in later rounds of the draft.

They don't suck at it as is, but KC really hit home runs with McDuffie, Cook, and Pacheco.

The Bengals will need to duplicate something similar to maintain the standard they've created over the last 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
1. Construct the offensive line as follows from left to right:

Jackson Carman, Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, and Tristan Wirfs.

2. Do whatever it takes to keep Lou Anarumo in Cincinnati as long as possible.

3. Sign the closest player to Marcus Peters in free agency.

4. Make sure Chidobe Awuzie is ready to play.

5. “Kick the tires” on Saquon Barkley.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 11:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 1. Construct the offensive line as follows from left to right:

As long as its the offseason I can still fantasize about your point number 1. An all-pro RT would be a dream.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 11:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 1. Construct the offensive line as follows from left to right:

The fact that girl put Wirfs on her list of potential trade target on that fan site article was bad enough.

Wirfs is a top 5-7 OT, the Bucs are not trading him.  The Bucs are in salary cap hell, why would they trade their best player with 2 years left on his rookie contract?  

People need to realize that Jonah is getting 12M this coming season, he will be playing.

So we are complaining about how much Mixon makes and you want to kick the tires on a RB that is already 26 and more expensive?

Peters was the 49th rated CB this year...

Lou has said he wants to be a HC, Im not sure there is anything we could attempt to do?

Reply/Quote

1. Cut Mixon
Nothing against him, but we just arent a running team. Paying the third most money on the team (12 million) to a guy that barely touches the ball and isn't super effective when he does is asinine. Draft some speed out of the backfield or go pick up a FA for cheap.

2. Find a punter.
Christman was freaking awful on Sunday and field position has been a problem for us all year. I am over it. Either draft one or bring in one in FA. It's a cheap upgrade that can pay huge dividends.

Eli Apple, Pratt, Vonn Bell, Perine, Hurst, Flowers. None of these guys will break the bank and have been solid players for us.

4. Upgrade the OL
What happened with injuries in the playoffs was unlucky. The OL was OK this year, but nothing special. Go out and get that elite guy on the OL that we need. Joe goes from a good to best QB on the planet when he has time to throw and is comfortable in the pocket.

The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones. We need a guy like that on defense. Our defense is solid, but it's missing that one guy that can just wreck a game.

None of these things are huge asks. The Bengals have 44 million in cap space right now - third most in the league. Bates leaving and cutting Mixon would free up another 20 million at least.

Pretty dead on.  I might look at Mixon as a restructure candidate.  And I am fine with Crisman.  He had one bad punt against KC.  It is always a challenge for footing on grass instead of turf.

The rest I am completely in alignment with.  I have no idea what game wrecker or solid OT could be available for the Bengals to sign, but one thing is for certain:  This is the most critical draft in Bengals history.  If they nail it, could win multiple SBs over the next 5 years.  Whiff and they might merely be a playoff team.  Somewhere in between...

I am hoping they can get a few guys like the rotational pass rushers on Philly.  Although, we saw that if a line is solid and they aren't calling holding, the best defensive lines can be shut down by the best offensive line.  This is why I put OT at our #1 spot.  They need someone that can come in and start at RT.  A mauler.  They have another year to see if Jonah can be an effective LT, but I think Carman might be able to take his spot.  The added weight on Jonah (and it wasn't good weight) put undue stress on his body and he couldn't stay healthy.  They need depth and competition.  I think Adeniji could be in the mix at LT, but his ship might have sailed.  No idea what to think of D'Ante Smith.  

They could go OT in round 1 and round 3.  

I don't think any other position improves the team more.  
Reply/Quote

1. Cut Mixon

2. Find a punter.

4. Upgrade the OL

1.  Yes, without a doubt, either renegotiate a substantial cut or let him go.  The front office has come to the realization that business decisions have to be made, and the loyalty to the team supersedes loyalty to any individual.

2.  While we should always be looking to upgrade every position, Chrisman was adequate, and should get better.  Low priority.

3.  Yeah, I'd like all of them, but how much will they take to sign?  Pratt is as good as gone and his replacement is already here.  Bell is a must.  I would prioritize the rest like this:  Apple, Perine, Hurst, Flowers.

4.  Agree that OL needs upgrading but "go out and get that elite guy?"  Seriously?  Who might that be, and at what cost?  There's not exactly a rack of them at Dollar General.

5. Sure, while we're at it, get an elite game wrecker on defense, too.  Shouldn't be that difficult.

And don't forget to toss $500 million at the QB.  
Reply/Quote
Estimated Cap $227 MIL
Currently Under Contract 56 players @ $193 MIL

Key loses:
Jessie Bates III
Vonn Bell
Hayden Hurst
Brandon Allen
Germaine Pratt
RB2/RB3

Stab at what would be depth chart currently.
QB: Joe Burrow/ Jake Browning
RB: Joe Mixon/ Chris Harris/ Elijah Holyfield
WR: Ja’Marr Chase/Stanley Morgan
WR: Tyler Boyd/Kwamie Lassiter
WR: Tee Higgins/Trenton Irwin
TE: Devin Asiasi/Tanner Hudson/Nick Bowers
LT: Jonah Williams/Jackson Carman
LG: Cordell Volson/Nate Gilliam/ Ben Brown
C: Ted Karras/Trey Hill
RG: Alex Cappa/Hakeem Adeniji
RT: La’el Collins/ D’Ante Smith/Devin Cochran
LDE: Sam Hubbard/Jeff Gunter/Owen Carney
DT: BJ Hill/Cam Sample/Dominique Davis
NT: DJ Reader/Josh Tupou
RDE: Trey Hendrickson/Joseph Ossai/Ray Johnson
LB: Logan Wilson/Markus Bailey
LB: Akeem Davis-Gaither/Keandre Jones
CB1: Chidobe Awuzie/Allan George
CB2: Cam Taylor-Britt/Marvell Tell
CB3: Mike Hilton
FS: Dax Hill/ Brandon Wilson
SS: Tycen Anderson/ Yusuf Corker
P: Drue Chrisman
K: Evan McPhearson
LS: Cal Adomitis

Moves:
Trade Tee Higgins to NYG for PK 25 ($3.9 MIL)
Release Joe Mixon ($7.2)
Injury Settlement La’el Collins ($6 MIL)
Cap Space = $51MIL

Sign:
SS: Vonn Bell ($10 MIL)
WR: Zach Pascal ($2 MIL)
CB Greedy Williams ($3 MIL)
RT Mike McGlinchey ($15 MIL)
TE Mike Gesicki ($10 MIL)
$40 MIL Committed
$11 MIL for Draft pool and fillers

DRAFT
#25 RB/ BIJON ROBINSON
#28 OG/ JOHN MICHAEL SCHMITZ

#60 WR/ CEDRIC TILLMAN
#92 CB/ MYLES BROOKS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 11:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Estimated Cap $227 MIL
Currently Under Contract 56 players @ $193 MIL

Key loses:
Jessie Bates III
Vonn Bell
Hayden Hurst
Brandon Allen
Germaine Pratt
RB2/RB3

Stab at what would be depth chart currently.
QB: Joe Burrow/ Jake Browning
RB: Joe Mixon/ Chris Harris/ Elijah Holyfield
WR: Ja’Marr Chase/Stanley Morgan
WR: Tyler Boyd/Kwamie Lassiter
WR: Tee Higgins/Trenton Irwin
TE: Devin Asiasi/Tanner Hudson/Nick Bowers
LT: Jonah Williams/Jackson Carman
LG: Cordell Volson/Nate Gilliam/ Ben Brown
C: Ted Karras/Trey Hill
RG: Alex Cappa/Hakeem Adeniji
RT: La’el Collins/ D’Ante Smith/Devin Cochran
LDE: Sam Hubbard/Jeff Gunter/Owen Carney
DT: BJ Hill/Cam Sample/Dominique Davis
NT: DJ Reader/Josh Tupou
RDE: Trey Hendrickson/Joseph Ossai/Ray Johnson
LB: Logan Wilson/Markus Bailey
LB: Akeem Davis-Gaither/Keandre Jones
CB1: Chidobe Awuzie/Allan George
CB2: Cam Taylor-Britt/Marvell Tell
CB3: Mike Hilton
FS: Dax Hill/ Brandon Wilson
SS: Tycen Anderson/ Yusuf Corker
P: Drue Chrisman
K: Evan McPhearson
LS: Cal Adomitis

Moves:
Trade Tee Higgins to NYG for PK 25 ($3.9 MIL)
Release Joe Mixon ($7.2)
Injury Settlement La’el Collins ($6 MIL)
Cap Space = $51MIL

Sign:
SS: Vonn Bell ($10 MIL)
WR: Zach Pascal ($2 MIL)
CB Greedy Williams ($3 MIL)
RT Mike McGlinchey ($15 MIL)
TE Mike Gesicki ($10 MIL)
$40 MIL Committed
$11 MIL for Draft pool and fillers

DRAFT
#25 RB/ BIJON ROBINSON
#28 OG/ JOHN MICHAEL SCHMITZ

#60 WR/ CEDRIC TILLMAN
#92 CB/ MYLES BROOKS

Nice work, analysis, plan.  Essentially swapping Tee for Robinson & McGlinchey is interesting.  Trading a top receiver for draft capital and salary can work (Tyreek) or not (AJ Brown).  But I like it here.  We improve at two positions (RT & RB) at the cost of WR.  I don't like to give up Tee but Lord, we have to fix that OL.  Schmitz also would help with that.  Also allows us to stay ahead of the curve and get younger, better and cheaper at RB. 

Send this to Duke.
Reply/Quote
Offensive line with out Jonah Williams on it.
Reply/Quote
I want the Browns to bring in a new set of eyes when evaluating Offensive Line talent. I'm good with keeping Pollack, he just needs better players. I tend to think PA is still in Mike Brown's ear. Watching them keep missing on the players they select and leaving available players like Creed Humphrey on the table needs to be rectified. It's time for a new O line talent evaluator.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 04:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I want the Browns to bring in a new set of eyes when evaluating Offensive Line talent. I'm good with keeping Pollack, he just needs better players. I tend to think PA is still in Mike Brown's ear. Watching them keep missing on the players they select and leaving available players like Creed Humphrey on the table needs to be rectified. It's time for a new O line talent evaluator.

New eyes aren't always the answer.  Every team passed on Humphrey, and all but two passed on him twice.  62 players were taken ahead of Humphrey, including 12 OL's. Hell, Green Bay took a center with the pick immediately preceding Creed.  Scouting isn't as easy as it seems.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  And I doubt seriously that a former guy has more credibility with the owner than our current coaches. 

But if new eyes would help usage better talent on the O line or anywhere else, I'm all for it.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 05:25 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: New eyes aren't always the answer.  Every team passed on Humphrey, and all but two passed on him twice.  62 players were taken ahead of Humphrey, including 12 OL's. Hell, Green Bay took a center with the pick immediately preceding Creed.  Scouting isn't as easy as it seems.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  And I doubt seriously that a former guy has more credibility with the owner than our current coaches. 

But if new eyes would help usage better talent on the O line or anywhere else, I'm all for it.

Yes, I know it's not easy and is basically a crapshoot. That's why I thought bringing someone else in to help in that department is a good idea.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 12:44 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Yes I do but based on how well they played for a dozen games after the initial start but ,more importantly, where are you finding the $$$ to go get these top guys with everybody else they need to pay? Very funny how fans like to play with monopoly money.

More than just going on a shopping spree, as they absolutely did last year, it's about development. KC has a couple drafted guys in the 2nd/6th round that have turned into all pro OL, phily has a 7th rounder they took a chance on who is a stud.You keep developing guys just as they're doing with Carman and you keep drafting.The RT on Cinci. had a bad game but lots of OL have bad games with Jones over them. He had a tremendous game against Buffalo and nobody wanted him cut after that game. You keep developing developing and developing.

Adeniji gets a bit of a pass against Jones as he is the best in the game, and him lining over RT was something that it didn't look like the Bengals were prepared for.  Joe should have audibled a TE to help or have more Perine set on following him wherever he goes.

This is one of my biggest concerns is they seem to do very little to help tilt the matchups in their favor.  KC does an AMAZING job of having a back chip, hesitate and then sprint to the boundary for a check down that turns in to 10 yards and doesn't even take a hit....he runs out of bounds.  COPY THAT SHIT!  The current "trust" in leaving a guy like Adeniji who has had to bounce all over the line due to injuries against a guy like Jones (or Garrett, or Watt, or any of the beasts they face in the AFC North and so on) is stupid.  

I see almost no way they don't draft an OT in round 1, even if at #28 it is someone that is projected as a RT.  That way you would have that pick and Adeniji competing to start at RT and Williams and Carman competing to start at LT.  Perhaps even a veteran in the mold of Cappa and Karras that could come in and  start at RT.  I was VERY impressed at how Carman held up at LT in his only two starts.  Dude deserves a fair shot at winning it next year.  I think Jonah's poor attempt at adding weight (fat) to improve his anchor just killed his knees and subsequently took away some of his agility.  Never saw him get beat as badly as he did inside this past year.  

I might even double dip OT and go for one in the 3rd if there is a raw talent there will some upside.  D'Ante Smith just has run out of excuses at this point.  If you can't contribute, they need to find someone that can.  
Reply/Quote