Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The AFCN Has Figured Us Out...
When people talk about our division competition being weak, they are mistaken. This year in the NFL the level of competition is a lot better than last year. We have teams like the Jets, Dolphins, Giants, Vikings, Cowboys and Philly that were terrible last year and they are definitely in the playoff conversation. Then there are teams like the Packers and Bucs that have underperformed because they got slightly worse and the teams below them got better.

The Browns are much better than their record--they've lost a lot of close games. The Steelers could have been a top 5 defense if Watt didn't get injured. Their offense needs some work still, but they are no easy out. The Ravens are obviously at the top of the division, but they are beatable.

The Bills and Eagles are two teams we'll likely struggle against because of the pressure they create on defense and how explosive their offenses are. The Browns will always be a tough out for us because their strengths line up with our weaknesses. Any team with a dominant dline and good corners will give us trouble.

There aren't a lot of 'cakewalk' teams this year. Houston and Detroit are the only teams that are pushovers. Even the Falcons are still leading their division (won't last long). The Panthers just about shut out Tampa. I think we should beat them, but I don't think it'll be easy necessarily.

If I were forced to place a bet I'd take the Bills and Eagles in the SB as most would. We can still improve and make the SB if we can get healthy and Taylor can figure out our offense. But it just seems like the Bills and Eagles are on another level. The Eagles putting up the points they did against Dallas was the most impressive thing I've seen this year. If they can make the Cowboys defense look bad, look out. We just aren't on that level of being able to put up 30-40 points against a top 10 defense. We weren't there last year in the playoffs and we aren't there yet this year either. We may end up having to regroup next year as I'm not feeling the same magic that we had last year.

That said, playing the defenses we play in the division is going to make us a better offense. If we can figure out how to score 30+ against the Browns, Steelers, and Ravens we can do that against anyone. It's just a matter of time. How long does it take Taylor to figure out how to scheme properly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:43 PM)TheFan Wrote: The only games our offense have been good were against the Saints and Falcons. Both are 2 of the worst in the league at pass rush. 

3 games is not enough to make a claim that an entire division has us figured out. Especially after we dominated 2 of them the year prior. The year before that we were dominated by Baltimore. Ever think things just come and go where it's a punch/counter punch each game/season to the next? 

Or because teams watch the style of play and adjust to counter, requiring adjustment in response and on it goes.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 02:22 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Or because teams watch the style of play and adjust to counter, requiring adjustment in response and on it goes.

Exactly, I totally agree! So it can be said, given we've only played each team once, we could still counter and this thread is pointless? Not a blanket statement that we've been "figured out" and ZT hasn't been able to adjust like in the OP

Like I said in the previous post, in 2020 they got the better of us, in 2021 we got the better of them, in 1 game through 2022 they've got the better of us. 

Again, I don't think ZT is a good offensive coach.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Ravens are maybe a bit above average on the NFL scale. The Browns are very average at best with Brissett as QB, and that's probably being nice. And the Steelers are just bad !

You can sugarcoat it any way you like but the bottom line is we lost to all three teams and it's very telling on where we really are

The Bengals have a long way to go to become a true contender this season, if they even can. And little time to do it in.

This 100%. 

This season is done, the issues run so deep that Zac doesnt have the capacity to fix this. 

They are STILL starting games slow and playing from behind like last year, he had an offseason to fix this among other things. Its just maddening because Burrow and Chase on rookie contracts is the time to take advantage of this moment.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 03:43 PM)GodFather Wrote: This 100%. 

This season is done, the issues run so deep that Zac doesnt have the capacity to fix this. 

They are STILL starting games slow and playing from behind like last year, he had an offseason to fix this among other things. Its just maddening because Burrow and Chase on rookie contracts is the time to take advantage of this moment.

There are definitely issues, some of them that have been persistent going back to last year...and the injuries certainly hurt, but it's way too early to say they're done. If they beat the Panthers this week and then the Steelers after the bye, they'll be 6-4 and still very much in the playoff hunt.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 03:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There are definitely issues, some of them that have been persistent going back to last year...and the injuries certainly hurt, but it's way too early to say they're done. If they beat the Panthers this week and then the Steelers after the bye, they'll be 6-4 and still very much in the playoff hunt.

Thats true stats-wise but do you really think from what you've seen this year that will happen? 

Not a chance in hell, first off they have some real tough games coming up and blew so many games they should've won. This team doesn't look like it's gelling at all. The Saints and Falcons wins were against two teams who had alot of injuries and were't playoff contenders to begin with.

I think if it was another team and you were asked that question you would write them off because you wouldn't have the emotional connection.

For me personally, Im not looking at the win loss record they currently have but how they lost these games. It was frustrating to watch most of these games this year. Last year was so fun and exciting and this year feels completely different in a bad way. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 04:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats true stats-wise but do you really think from what you've seen this year that will happen? 

Not a chance in hell, first off they have some real tough games coming up and blew so many games they should've won. This team doesn't look like it's gelling at all. The Saints and Falcons wins were against two teams who had alot of injuries and were't playoff contenders to begin with.

I think if it was another team and you were asked that question you would write them off because you wouldn't have the emotional connection.

For me personally, Im not looking at the win loss record they currently have but how they lost these games. It was frustrating to watch most of these games this year. Last year was so fun and exciting and this year feels completely different in a bad way. 

IDK, what did you think going into the bye last year? 

They looked completely lost against a Bears team that had no offense. The lost to the Jets and made Mike White look like Dan Marino. They got curb stomped by the Browns. The lost a crazy game against the Packers due to kicking issues. Hell, they barely beat the hapless Jaguars. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 04:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IDK, what did you think going into the bye last year? 

They looked completely lost against a Bears team that had no offense. The lost to the Jets and made Mike White look like Dan Marino. They got curb stomped by the Browns. The lost a crazy game against the Packers due to kicking issues. Hell, they barely beat the hapless Jaguars. 

Good question, well they killed the Steelers and Ravens, owned them. That was a first in a very very long time. The games they played they had an offense other teams didnt know how to respond too in the second half and I had a feeling they would come out on top.(of course not go to Super Bowl...not in a million years)  They had this magic they dont anymore. Last year they won the tight games for the most part, so far this year they have lost them all. The only game they looked good in this year was the Falcons game and that team had alot of key players out. 

It feels very different to me personally when I watch them play.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 03:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There are definitely issues, some of them that have been persistent going back to last year...and the injuries certainly hurt, but it's way too early to say they're done. If they beat the Panthers this week and then the Steelers after the bye, they'll be 6-4 and still very much in the playoff hunt.

Agree with Holic, way too early to say they are done. Last season we were in arguably a worse place with a worse OL and a
worse Defense. We are still young and can learn, LT and RB are the problem right now and these things can be fixed during 
the bye and even on Sunday as long as we help out the LT and the RB actually sees the holes in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 04:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: For me personally, Im not looking at the win loss record they currently have but how they lost these games. It was frustrating to watch most of these games this year. Last year was so fun and exciting and this year feels completely different in a bad way. 

Do you think the expectations of what you went into the season with has anything to do with that? I think most people would have felt okay starting 4-4 last year. 

Naturally, the expectations should be different coming off of a superbowl run but using enjoyment of watching to determine success seems a little wonky. 
Reply/Quote
I made this thread to express concern, but I don't think the situation is hopeless or the season is lost.

I think the problem is far worse within our own division and it's very possible that Zac will adjust.

I just wish he was ahead or the game and teams were adjusting to us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Agree with Holic and he is right most fans were jumping ship going into the Bye week last year only to watch the team turn it on for the remainder of the season.

Also agree with Godfather that the magic does not seem to be there this season yet and the team has yet to discover an identity. It has been painful to watch the losses for sure.

Not giving up on this team at all, but the team is at a pivotal juncture of the season and really need to beat the Panthers going into the upcoming Bye week.

But do believe Burrow will rally the troops somehow and McPhearson will get back to being money. Just hope it is not too late when they catch gear, it needs to be sooner rather than later.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Oh and this should be in a different thread, but would think with Jonah getting beat so much and seeing Burrow get hit so much, eventually he would try holding or something.

If I was him and Garrett kept crushing my QB like that, Myles would eventually have to drag me along to the QB as I was hanging on horse collar style while trying to trip him at the same time if need be.

Don't know what has happened to Jonah and hope it is a injury, but this is a major problem.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Yes. They'll have to then win probably 3-4 of Titans, Browns, Ravens, Patriots, and Bucs.

So 4 wins now. Beat Panthers and Steelers. =6 wins.

Then, win 3 or 4 of the games I listed for 9 or 10 wins.

Lose to Chiefs and Bills.

But, got to win next 2 games. Must wins.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with Holic, way too early to say they are done. Last season we were in arguably a worse place with a worse OL and a
worse Defense. We are still young and can learn, LT and RB are the problem right now and these things can be fixed during 
the bye and even on Sunday as long as we help out the LT and the RB actually sees the holes in front of him.

I have a hard time spinning it that our defense was in a worse spot this time last year... Reader gone (with no timetable to return), Awuzie gone, Trey seems to get hurt every week, Ogunjobi gone, backups litter the secondary, and we can't find a consistent pass rush.

It's mileage with Mixon. His vision doesn't matter... He's spent. On top of all that; Ja'Marr is out until at least December.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 08:57 PM)jason Wrote: I have a hard time spinning it that our defense was in a worse spot this time last year... Reader gone (with no timetable to return), Awuzie gone, Trey seems to get hurt every week, Ogunjobi gone, backups litter the secondary, and we can't find a consistent pass rush.

It's mileage with Mixon. His vision doesn't matter... He's spent. On top of all that; Ja'Marr is out until at least December.

Heard on the radio, they're expecting Reader after the bye. Rapien or McCallister mentioned it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 09:29 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Heard on the radio, they're expecting Reader after the bye. Rapien or McCallister mentioned it.

It can't happen soon enough. Guy was playing outta his mind.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 09:31 PM)jason Wrote: It can't happen soon enough. Guy was playing outta his mind.

For sure.... probably the biggest reason the defense faltered in the second half Monday. Chubb and Hunt will get theirs, but if 98 is out there, they're going to have to earn it. He's so disruptive that they may be force Brissett into throwing more which has potential for him to make a mistake. Then again, he didn't stop em last year, lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 09:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: For sure.... probably the biggest reason the defense faltered in the second half Monday. Chubb and Hunt will get theirs, but if 98 is out there, they're going to have to earn it. He's so disruptive that they may be force Brissett into throwing more which has potential for him to make a mistake. Then again, he didn't stop em last year, lol.

The crazy part is we held Chubb to his lowest Y/A for the year. We held him to 4.39 per rush. His next lowest were 4.67 and 4.91 and the rest were over 5, 6, or 7 Y/A. 
Reply/Quote