Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
The Bengals are a disappointment and Joe is off.
(10-10-2022, 12:11 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I do not care if they play is a success or not you do not drop your best pass rusher into coverage.

You have no idea how that can confuse the QB. It's a staple that's been very effective for teams. QB's simply aren't use to seeing DE's being used as hybrids and drop into coverage especially with a QB in Jackson who is not the best at staying in the pocket and reading defenses.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's a fire zone, a way to simulate a blitz without actually blitzing. You can't blitz in zone coverage, or at least it isn't advisable. You leave a hole in the field if you do. A fire zone rectifies that issue by bringing someone on a "blitz" but replacing them via an end dropping into coverage. Every single team in the NFL does it, it's a common defensive tactic. 

I think where he was getting at was drop Hubbard or one of the DTs.

Hindsight is 20/20. Not a bad play call there. Also, sometimes, the best players on the other team Make better plays (blown coverage or not).

We lost this game on 1st and goal from the 2. That sealed it.

Pass
Pass
Trick play
Trick play

5.7YPc… makes zero sense.

Should have been:
Run
Run
Pass/run
FG
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:11 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I do not care if they play is a success or not you do not drop your best pass rusher into coverage.

I saw Parsons drop back for Dallas. We are not only team, I remember  Zimmer doing it with Dunlap
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:44 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I think where he was getting at was drop Hubbard or one of the DTs.

Hindsight is 20/20. Not a bad play call there.  Also, sometimes, the best players on the other team Make better plays (blown coverage or not).

We lost this game on 1st and goal from the 2.  That sealed it.

Pass
Pass
Trick play
Trick play

5.7YPc… makes zero sense.

Should have been:
Run
Run
Pass/run
FG

Yeah, I get that he is not a fan of Hendrickson doing it, specifically, but it is just part of the game. It's a fire zone, you can't relegate yourself to running it from only one side. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:35 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Players have to adjust in this league, look at Lamar he throws a  much better ball now and mixes run and pass better. Joe and Chase need to do the same. Coaches also but in the end Burrow touches every snap pretty much  and has the most control of success for this team. 
Not sure itis lack of emotion. As much as lack of the level of performance we expected from him this season after last one.

His completion percentage has gone down or stayed the same for 3 straight years now and he missed 2 wide open TD throws last night. 

But he throws a better ball now. mmk

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:12 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: That’s what I say

Damn that was a long post. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:01 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah think I overvalue him just always think of that Chiefs game were he did a great job on Kelce. Seems like when they went single coverage they got burnt a few times  Lamar missed two wide open Td’s. Could be wrong but I think you need to commit extra guys to spy Lamar maybe it’ makes it harder to cover Andrew’s.? Also the Ravens run heavy personnel with a 300 pound FB , Dobbins had some nice runs maybe had to commit extra guys to stop the run with Reader out. Or maybe there was a double but guys slow to react by play action.

That was an issue, no doubt. I sure hope he gets back soon.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:42 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and said this after first two games, they got big headed and believed they could just show up and win in lieu of working to get over the hump and win a SB. 

Yet I get it somewhat per the whole city and fanbase was so hungry for a season like that and went bonkers like they actually won even. The players and coaches immediately went to rock star status and were loved by all.  Everybody wanted interviews and there seemed to be only one weakness the O-line and it was addressed. Can see how it may have got set on a cruise control attitude without even realizing it

Just thought with last years "lets prove the world wrong" attitude that they would not fall into that trap. Believe they get it going but hoping its before its too late

The SB hangover is real. I can see it.

We can still drink a bloody mary and get over it though, we are still right in the playoff picture. 

The OL is starting to play better and the running game finally showed up last night. The Defense is badazz.

The Bengals season so far has been a disappointment and Joe is a little bit off but there are lots of factors and reasons 
why that are all understandable. We will see how we react to these adversities. We reacted very well late last season and
history does repeat itself.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His completion percentage has gone down or stayed the same for 3 straight years now and he missed 2 wide open TD throws last night. 

But he throws a better ball now. mmk

He does if you look at tape over last 3 years, he is running less, leads league I believe in TDs passing and does not have the core of WRs we have and never had...
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He does if you look at tape over last 3 years, he is running less, leads league I believe in TDs passing and does not have the core of WRs we have and never had...

Everything is still reliant on his running ability, just like it was when he came in the league. 

He drops back in the pocket, stands there for 4 or 5 seconds and then scrambles--doing 2 things--giving his receivers time to find an opening, or running. If he's improved as a pocket passer, it's infinitesimal. 

After 3 offensive drives last night, i turned the game off. I went back after midnight to check the score then just scanned through the recorded version. The biggest thing i remember from the last drive his his running to get them in position for the GWF. Were there some passes in there that i missed, to get them in range?

You can't deny his athleticism or running ability but that goes down the drain against good teams that can contain him, which you see a lot of in the playoffs, which is reflected on his poor stats and record in the post season. 1-3 with a 55% comp, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 6.6 YPA and a 68.3 rating.

People can slobber all over his dick--and look stupid doing it--but the guy is a RB posing as a QB. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:43 PM)higgy100 Wrote: You have no idea how that can confuse the QB. It's a staple that's been very effective for teams. QB's simply aren't use to seeing DE's being used as hybrids and drop into coverage especially with a QB in Jackson who is not the best at staying in the pocket and reading defenses.

I understand the thought process to it but if the guy has no background as a safety or linebacker covering passes then he is most likely not going to be worth a damn in pass coverage. So just dropping him into coverage just because it is a play other teams use is not necessarily a good idea specially if he is your best pass rusher and the other d-linemen are struggling to get pressure on the QB.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's a fire zone, a way to simulate a blitz without actually blitzing. You can't blitz in zone coverage, or at least it isn't advisable. You leave a hole in the field if you do. A fire zone rectifies that issue by bringing someone on a "blitz" but replacing them via an end dropping into coverage. Every single team in the NFL does it, it's a common defensive tactic. 
I understand the thought process to it but if the guy has no background as a safety or linebacker covering passes then he is most likely not going to be worth a damn in pass coverage. So just dropping him into coverage just because it is a play other teams use is not necessarily a good idea specially if he is your best pass rusher and the other d-linemen are struggling to get pressure on the QB.

I would rather not drop a 280 pound man into pass coverage to rush a 230 pound man. Specially when that 280 pound man has 13 sacks comepared to 0 for the 230 pound guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 03:34 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I understand the thought process to it but if the guy has no background as a safety or linebacker covering passes then he is most likely not going to be worth a damn in pass coverage. So just dropping him into coverage just because it is a play other teams use is not necessarily a good idea specially if he is your best pass rusher and the other d-linemen are struggling to get pressure on the QB.

They aren't doing it just because "everyone else does it". It's a part of every DC's repertoire, like a cover 3 or cover 2. It is a method to simulate a blitz. Every team in the NFL, many teams in college and even high school teams do it. Sometimes, your top guy ends up being the drop man. It's just how it is. 
Reply/Quote
This was written after Week 5 last year:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-offense-zac-taylor-2021
Reply/Quote
I personally wasn't overall disappointed that the Bengals lost to the Ravens.
They are a very good team.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the offensive playcalling.
Aside from some big plays last year to skew the results, the Bengals offense has not been good overall since Taylor took over.
Teams have now found a way to counteract the big plays from last year, and the team is back in the bottom half of the league on offense again.

I'm willing to give the rest of this year to see if the offense does grow and evolve enough, but I'd strongly consider moving on from Taylor, Callahan, and/or Pollack if there are still problems anywhere.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I personally wasn't overall disappointed that the Bengals lost to the Ravens.

Aside from some big plays last year to skew the results, the Bengals offense has not been good overall since Taylor took over.
Teams have no found a way to counteract the big plays from last year, and the team is back in the bottom half of the league on offense again.

I'm willing to give the rest of this year to see if the offense does grow and evolve enough, but I'd strongly consider moving on from Taylor, Callahan, and/or Pollack if there are still problems anywhere.

I think any progression of change will start with assistant coaches. Callahan is the first to go before Zac. If losing persists, then Zac can buy himself organizational grace by being rid of Callahan and then giving up OC duties to the next guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I personally wasn't overall disappointed that the Bengals lost to the Ravens.

Teams have no found a way to counteract the big plays from last year, and the team is back in the bottom half of the league on offense again.

I agree somewhat. But I am upset with the loss because this is a game we could have won. With a competent OC we could easily be 4-1 right now.

But I do fully agree the offensive scheme/game plan/ play calling is where I'm furious. This is way to good a team to be the train wreck on O we are the majority of the time.

We have a Lamborghini at the track and it's being driven by a 12 year old with one month's experience on a lawnmower.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 04:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree somewhat. But I am upset with the loss because this is a game we could have won. With a competent OC we could easily be 4-1 right now.

But I do fully agree the offensive scheme/game plan/ play calling is where I'm furious. This is way to good a team to be the train wreck on O we are the majority of the time.

We have a Lamborghini at the track and it's being driven by a 12 year old with one month's experience on a lawnmower.

I'm more frustrated by the PIT and DAL losses than the Ravens loss.

Bengals should have had no problems beating PIT, and DAL should have been a win given it was their backup's first start this season and 2nd of his entire career.

I think ultimately that Steelers loss is going to come back to haunt when it comes time for making/seeding the playoffs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm more frustrated by the PIT and DAL losses than the Ravens loss.

Bengals should have had no problems beating PIT, and DAL should have been a win given it was their backup's first start this season and 2nd of his entire career.

I think ultimately that Steelers loss is going to come back to haunt when it comes time for making/seeding the playoffs.

pit loss stings, but you can chalk it up to a fluke injury to the long snapper if you want

with how dallas is playing, I dont think that defeat looks bad in hindsight

This ravens one is bad though for sure
Reply/Quote
The zone blitz was popularized by Dick LeBeau while he was DC in Cincinnati-don’t act like it’s new. It’s about maintaining solid zone coverage while rushing from unexpected positions. Pitchers with great fastballs still use other pitches, right?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote