Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Bengals drafted a ton of freaks
From Bruce Feldman's annual "Freaks list."

Each year, Bruce Feldman looks at the most athletically gifted players in college football for the upcoming season and ranks them based on the "freakiest" players from an athletic or physical standpoint. His most recent list was prior to the 2022 season.

Something of note: This is in all of college football, not just in the particular draft class.

Of our 8 selections, 4 of them showed up on the Freaks list for 2022. The excerpts are below:

Quote:3. Myles Murphy, Clemson, defensive end
Murphy made 43 tackles, a team-high 14.0 tackles for loss, and a team-best seven sacks in 2021. The 6-5, 275-pound junior is viewed by NFL scouts as a “significantly better player” than former Tiger Clelin Ferrell, who went fourth overall in the 2019 draft. Murphy bench-presses 405 pounds, power-cleans 335 and deadlifts 505. He also has vertical-jumped 35 inches, broad-jumped 10 feet and consistently clocked in the high 4.5s in the 40, according to Clemson coaches.

Quote:31. DJ Turner, Michigan, cornerback
A former three-star recruit who has made big strides in Ann Arbor, Turner’s grown from 177 pounds to 187 and is coming off a strong year. He made honorable mention All-Big Ten after producing 33 tackles, nine PBUs and two interceptions. He is the fastest guy on the Wolverines, having hit 23.07 mph on the GPS and run a 4.28 40 — out of a two-point stance, no less. His 3-cone time is even more stunning. He clocked a 6.29 this offseason, and strength coaches think he has a good shot at besting the combine record of 6.28, set in 2018 by Oklahoma’s Jordan Thomas.

Quote:3. and 34. The Brown Twins, Illinois
We’re listing them together because I couldn’t decide who should be ranked higher. The Brown twins are from Ontario and the sons of a former CFL player and a figure skater.

Chase Brown, a 6-0, 207-pound running back, made the All-Big Ten third team in 2021 after rushing for 1,005 yards and five touchdowns. He added 4 pounds of lean muscle mass this summer while losing 3 pounds of fat. He also has reached 22.5 on the GPS on one of his long touchdown runs last year.

Sydney Brown, a 6-0, 211-pound safety, made All-Big Ten honorable mention in 2021, led Illinois with 81 tackles and also forced two fumbles. He added almost 6 pounds of lean muscle mass this summer while losing 1 pound of fat. He has also hit 22.4 mph on the GPS in-game.

“I’m addicted to seeing little results, no matter what it is,” Sydney said. “I’m in love with the process, whether it’s the diet or the workouts, the coaching tips that I get. That’s what really drives me. He’s a little more laid-back than I am. I’d just say we’re both very explosive in our own way.”

Quote:15. Andrei Iosivas, Princeton, wide receiver
One of the best players in the Ivy League also is one of the top track athletes in the country. On the field, the 6-3, 205-pound Hawaiian — his name is pronounced “Yoshi-vas” — had 41 catches for 703 yards. In track, he finished fourth in the country in the heptathlon and ran the fastest 60 in NCAA heptathlon history (6.71). Iosivas bench pressed 370 pounds this month and has vertical-jumped 39 inches. His 60-yard dash time would, by his own estimation, translate into a 4.2-something 40, but he points out that it was also out of the blocks and on a track, so maybe not. His position coach, Brian Flinn, predicts when Iosivas goes through the draft process and performs those tests he will “destroy them all. He trains year-around on how to start and sprint.” Iosivas bought a Jugs machine when he was quarantined during COVID to keep honing his skills.

Some interesting tidbits from these excerpts:

1. Myles Murphy did not do the broad jump in the off season and his vertical was only 31 inches. So he performed better leading up to the combine than he did at the combine. He did beat his 40 time of "high 4.5s" with a 4.53 though.
2. DJ Turner did not do the 3 cone at the combine, but this states that he could have potentially broken the record had he done it.
3. Iosivas' coach predicted he'd destroy the combine, and he did. Posting a 9.92 RAS.

I'm not sure why the first two did not test in these certain areas, but chances are if they did, we would not have gotten them where we did. If turner breaks the 3 cone record, chances are we aren't getting him at 60. So...that's great haha.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: From Bruce Feldman's annual "Freaks list."

Each year, Bruce Feldman looks at the most athletically gifted players in college football for the upcoming season and ranks them based on the "freakiest" players from an athletic or physical standpoint. His most recent list was prior to the 2022 season.

Something of note: This is in all of college football, not just in the particular draft class.

Of our 8 selections, 4 of them showed up on the Freaks list for 2022. The excerpts are below:

1. Myles Murphy did not do the broad jump in the off season and his vertical was only 31 inches. So he performed better leading up to the combine than he did at the combine. He did beat his 40 time of "high 4.5s" with a 4.53 though.
2. DJ Turner did not do the 3 cone at the combine, but this states that he could have potentially broken the record had he done it.
3. Iosivas' coach predicted he'd destroy the combine, and he did. Posting a 9.92 RAS.

I'm not sure why the first two did not test in these certain areas, but chances are if they did, we would not have gotten them where we did. If turner breaks the 3 cone record, chances are we aren't getting him at 60. So...that's great haha.

Murphy pulled a hammy at the combine, iirc.  Not sure on Turner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It would be a lie for me to say I wasn't a tad bit disappointed at not taking a day two Olineman. However overall I love this draft. I think we have a bunch that could make the 53. Great athletes and leaders.

I trust in Zac and the system.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It would be a lie for me to say I wasn't a tad bit disappointed at not taking a day two Olineman. However overall I love this draft. I think we have a bunch that could make the 53. Great athletes and leaders.

Don't be surprised of the UDFA G from Washington sticks with the team. He was a stud for the Huskies. I realize that's not the same as a day two OL. Ts, I don't think the kid allowed a single pressure last year. 
Reply/Quote
Most intrigued by the wideouts. Jones isn't a freak but he's no slouch either. He runs a 4.43 and his game speed is good. Iosivas is awesome. I kind of liken him to Simi Fehoko from a few years ago. Simi hasn't done much yet but still. It's fun to watch raw talent try to get their game off in the pros, especially when they're well educated like Iosivas (Princeton) and Fehoko (Stanford).

Not sure where Jones and Iosivas fit long term but it's nice to give Burrow a full complement of weapons outside.
Reply/Quote
The speed in the secondary with Dax, Turner, Anderson, and CTB is league leading. That can never be bad. If we can stay healthy and some of these guys develop this roster looks light years different than in 2019 and Zac took over. There’s no egos clearly in the building. Zac and Duke lock step.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:42 PM)tms Wrote: Most intrigued by the wideouts. Jones isn't a freak but he's no slouch either. He runs a 4.43 and his game speed is good. Iosivas is awesome. I kind of liken him to Simi Fehoko from a few years ago. Simi hasn't done much yet but still. It's fun to watch raw talent try to get their game off in the pros, especially when they're well educated like Iosivas (Princeton) and Fehoko (Stanford).

Not sure where Jones and Iosivas fit long term but it's nice to give Burrow a full complement of weapons outside.

The nice part is that they can just develop and build some chemistry with Joe and the offense for a year or two, there is no pressure to come in and be a starter on day 1.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well here's to hoping for a lot of night games.

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It would be a lie for me to say I wasn't a tad bit disappointed at not taking a day two Olineman. However overall I love this draft. I think we have a bunch that could make the 53. Great athletes and leaders.

Top 5 + the punter CB make the 53 for sure. Iosivas will probably, at worst a protected guy on the practice squad. 

Ivey will compete with Davis & George for the last 2 CB spots. 
Reply/Quote
Hitting on both sides of the ball too.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:42 PM)tms Wrote: Most intrigued by the wideouts. Jones isn't a freak but he's no slouch either. He runs a 4.43 and his game speed is good. Iosivas is awesome. I kind of liken him to Simi Fehoko from a few years ago. Simi hasn't done much yet but still. It's fun to watch raw talent try to get their game off in the pros, especially when they're well educated like Iosivas (Princeton) and Fehoko (Stanford).

Jones is the instant day one replacement for Trent Taylor. Taylor cannot get open in the slot and we have no other slot backups for Boyd. Jones also returns punts and kick offs.
Reply/Quote

Think its pretty clear at this point they'd rather address the OL via free agency then the draft...which im 100% on board with. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:00 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Jones is the instant day one replacement for Trent Taylor. Taylor cannot get open in the slot and we have no other slot backups for Boyd. Jones also returns punts and kick offs.

I honestly hope he starts taking reps from Boyd this year as well. I'm over Boyd at this point. Dude needed to do more than he did last year given the attention that Tee and Chase got.
Reply/Quote

I get this emotion.  When they passed on Duwann Jones in the 3rd, I was puzzled.  But, then I remembered:  They DID sign Orlando Brown.  They do have Jonah still under contract (and in a contract year). We actually saw Jackson Carman show that he might actually belong.  Reportedly, Jackson arrived to the facility 15 lbs lighter and in great shape. Cody Ford was a college teammate of Brown's and might be an upgrade as a backup G.  

If they spent a 3rd round pick on an offensive lineman this year, a lot would have to go wrong for that player to see the field.  Battle will give Lou flexibilty to put Dax on a TE and go 3 safeties with Battle and Scott playing back.  

Battle will also be an immediate contributor on special teams, as will Jones and Brown.
Reply/Quote
Andrei Iosivas may have been the best overall athlete in the draft.

One thing that is noticeable in Zac's tenure as coach, the team has gotten significantly faster as a whole

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: From Bruce Feldman's annual "Freaks list."

Nice thread CJD. No doubt these guys are physical freaks. A pulled hammy for Murphy, Turner not doing the 3 cone, Yoshi being from a
small school and the fumbles from Chase Brown allowed us to get these guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:00 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Jones is the instant day one replacement for Trent Taylor. Taylor cannot get open in the slot and we have no other slot backups for Boyd. Jones also returns punts and kick offs.

Yeah, I'm intrigued by his ability to play outside. We're talking a lot about slot and Boyd, etc. but Jones is a vertical threat too. Far bigger than Taylor as well. Similar situation to Terrace Marshall Jr, actually. At the 2021 draft, people were talking slot slot slot... and I was thinking, "TMJ guy has it all. No need to pigeonhole him like that. He's not Ja'Marr but he can play outside himself. He has." Fast forward two years and he's now competing foir the starting X in Carolina. I see that kind of versatility in Jones' future as well. 

But for sure- we drafted him with an eye on Boyd next year. That goes without saying. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 02:36 PM)tms Wrote: Yeah, I'm intrigued by his ability to play outside. We're talking a lot about slot and Boyd, etc. but Jones is a vertical threat too. Far bigger than Taylor as well. Similar situation to Terrace Marshall Jr, actually. At the 2021 draft, people were talking slot slot slot... and I was thinking, "TMJ guy has it all. No need to pigeonhole him like that. He's not Ja'Marr but he can play outside himself. He has." Fast forward two years and he's now competing foir the starting X in Carolina. I see that kind of versatility in Jones' future as well. 

But for sure- we drafted him with an eye on Boyd next year. That goes without saying. 

I do not mean to say he is just a slot guy, he can play outside but Irwin is a good backup outside guy but not built for the slot. So we needed that slot back up. I would enjoy seeing him get snaps outside as well he has great hands and good speed. They did not name the guy Chuck Sizzle for no reason lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 02:51 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Do you ever post anything that makes any sense?

Yeah, me wanting more out of the slot than 3 catches a game is pretty unsesible...especially given the attention that Higgins and Chase get.

Boyd should have FEASTED last year.

This offense is a middle of the field recieving threat away from being unstopable. An aging Boyd who doesnt get much seperation anymore isn't the answer.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 11:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get this emotion.  When they passed on Duwann Jones in the 3rd, I was puzzled.  But, then I remembered:  They DID sign Orlando Brown.  They do have Jonah still under contract (and in a contract year). We actually saw Jackson Carman show that he might actually belong.  Reportedly, Jackson arrived to the facility 15 lbs lighter and in great shape. Cody Ford was a college teammate of Brown's and might be an upgrade as a backup G.  

If they spent a 3rd round pick on an offensive lineman this year, a lot would have to go wrong for that player to see the field.  Battle will give Lou flexibilty to put Dax on a TE and go 3 safeties with Battle and Scott playing back.  

Battle will also be an immediate contributor on special teams, as will Jones and Brown.

If they didnt trade Jonah there was no way they could take Jones.  You would have too many linemen.  With Jonah and Carman and Collins and now Cody Ford plus Adeniji, thats just too many roster spots battling for RT
Reply/Quote