Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bengals have't won a playoff game since modern free agency was instituted
1992 is also the year after Paul died, and Mikey took full control ...... Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: 1992 is also the year after Paul died, and Mikey took full control ...... Hmm

Yes.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:38 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Throwing a 4th Round pick at an issue at starter isn't going to get the issue done most years...unless that draft pick is Russell Bodine.  Hilarious 

I think the fact that Pratt hasn't replaced one of those guys is partially the answer.

In terms of the draft, the Bengals could have traded up in Rd 2 to get one of Risner, Ford, etc, but it seemed like they expected one of those guys to fall to them since so many were still on the board. We had heard though that they were ready to take one of those guys if they had reached them.

Trading up for one of them was about the only thing better than taking Jordan.

You might say they should have picked up a good LG in FA, but I would have rather seen the Bengals get a stud LB or RT than a LG.

EDIT - Not to mention some of us (like myself) thought this was a great opportunity for Westerman to finally get some snaps and emerge as the starting LG. I personally thought he was going to get that starting gig and roll with it this year, leading to an extension and the Bengals would have their future LG.

The real thing with the Bengals is that they are very particular about who they will give big contracts to. Cordy Glenn is the only outside player who I can recall getting near $10 mill a year. All the other players at $10+ mill a year have been internal re-signings. The Bengals will reserve plenty of money to try to retain their own good players rather than gamble on players from outside the organization.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In terms of the draft, the Bengals could have traded up in Rd 2 to get one of Risner, Ford, etc, but it seemed like they expected one of those guys to fall to them since so many were still on the board. We had heard though that they were ready to take one of those guys if they had reached them.

Trading up for one of them was about the only thing better than taking Jordan.

You might say they should have picked up a good LG in FA, but I would have rather seen the Bengals get a stud LB or RT than a LG.

EDIT - Not to mention some of us (like myself) thought this was a great opportunity for Westerman to finally get some snaps and emerge as the starting LG. I personally thought he was going to get that starting gig and roll with it this year, leading to an extension and the Bengals would have their future LG.

The real thing with the Bengals is that they are very particular about who they will give big contracts to. Cordy Glenn is the only outside player who I can recall getting near $10 mill a year. All the other players at $10+ mill a year have been internal re-signings. The Bengals will reserve plenty of money to try to retain their own good players rather than gamble on players from outside the organization.

Saffold, Hicks, Fort, Alexander...there were guys that could have upgraded them.

I know those guys cost money, but so does Dennard who might not play this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 12:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Saffold, Hicks, Fort, Alexander...there were guys that could have upgraded them.

I know those guys cost money, but so does Dennard who might not play this year.

See my previous statement. Outside of Glenn, the Bengals haven't given a $10+ mill a year contract to an outside player in a LONG time (ever?)
The Bengals FO philosophy is fill the roster with a bunch of $3-8 mill a year contracts rather than a few expensive stars.

And you're right regarding Dennard. His $4.5 mill and Eifert's $3 mill could have instead been combined with remaining cap space to put toward one of the higher end guys you mentioned or CJ Mosley or JuWuan James.

With the new regime, we seem to have a more open competition for roster spots compared to years previous, which is good. However, it's the same FO with the same approach to acquiring talent. Until that changes, we'll see the same B-to-C level veterans coming to Cincinnati with the team (over)relying on having continuously good drafts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: See my previous statement. Outside of Glenn, the Bengals haven't given a $10+ mill a year contract to an outside player in a LONG time (ever?)
The Bengals FO philosophy is fill the roster with a bunch of $3-8 mill a year contracts rather than a few expensive stars.

And you're right regarding Dennard. His $4.5 mill and Eifert's $3 mill could have instead been combined with remaining cap space to put toward one of the higher end guys you mentioned or CJ Mosley or JuWuan James.

With the new regime, we seem to have a more open competition for roster spots compared to years previous, which is good. However, it's the same FO with the same approach to acquiring talent. Until that changes, we'll see the same B-to-C level veterans coming to Cincinnati with the team (over)relying on having continuously good drafts.

Nice post. And open competition is great...when it's 2 talented guys competing. Some of our position battles is between 2 poor players.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nice post. And open competition is great...when it's 2 talented guys competing. Some of our position battles is between 2 poor players.

If this was the Marvin era, we likely would have seen the Bengals keep Malone and/or Core rather than roll the dice on Willis and Tate. Malone/Core would very likely been given reps over Ross as soon as Ross made a gaffe. We likely would have seen Price starting at C with probably Hopkins at LG.

While the results haven't been where we would like, it is refreshing to see some new faces rather than the same ole', same ole' being rolled out.

I think the fact the Bengals couldn't sign Taylor until after the Super Bowl really put a hamper on getting the staff quickly enough. Then, he had to try to put a staff together, which took all of February. That left very little to no time for talent evaluation and probably contributed to signing guys like Hart and Brown in FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Woah woah woah.... you're telling me the Bengals... HAVEN'T, won any playoff games lately?

WOAH!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this was the Marvin era, we likely would have seen the Bengals keep Malone and/or Core rather than roll the dice on Willis and Tate. Malone/Core would very likely been given reps over Ross as soon as Ross made a gaffe. We likely would have seen Price starting at C with probably Hopkins at LG.

While the results haven't been where we would like, it is refreshing to see some new faces rather than the same ole', same ole' being rolled out.

I think the fact the Bengals couldn't sign Taylor until after the Super Bowl really put a hamper on getting the staff quickly enough. Then, he had to try to put a staff together, which took all of February. That left very little to no time for talent evaluation and probably contributed to signing guys like Hart and Brown in FA.

Plus, the coaches scout draft picks, free agents, evaluate the roster, develop playbooks, etc.

It's A LOT to ask for coaches...which is why having more scouts is beneficial.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Modern free agency began in the NFL in 1992. Before that, players had great restrictions for leaving teams and it didn't happen as much.

The Bengals have not won a playoff game since the 1990 season.

I believe these 2 events are highly correlated. 26 years and counting of not winning a playoff game.

Well, Paul Brown left us in 1991. He was a great innovator and would have innovated a way to use free agency to improve his team. Mike Brown, on the other hand, has innovated nothing what-so-ever in his entire life.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Modern free agency began in the NFL in 1992. Before that, players had great restrictions for leaving teams and it didn't happen as much.

The Bengals have not won a playoff game since the 1990 season.

I believe these 2 events are highly correlated. 26 years and counting of not winning a playoff game.

Even up till 1990, they only experienced playoff victories in 3 of Paul's 23 years. Even though they've played in 2 Super Bowls, postseason success just hasn't been a part of this franchise. 

Of course, Mike's run as owner is now in it's 29th year without a playoff win - barring some incredible turnaround - which is astounding in a very depressing way.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: See my previous statement. Outside of Glenn, the Bengals haven't given a $10+ mill a year contract to an outside player in a LONG time (ever?)

The highest yearly average they have given to outside free agents was Bryant (7m), Coles (7m) and Odom (5.9m)...and none of those worked out well. I think those made Mike even more hesitant to pull the trigger on those types of deals than he already was. 

Makes it's tough to truly compete with the big dogs if you're not willing to go all in or roll the dice big on occasion. 
Reply/Quote
in car years our last playoff win is eligible for classic plates.
Reply/Quote
All I know is any year that the Bengals were good, they had some really good OL players. There’s not even a leader of the current OL, at least not that I’m aware of. Who is the established stud at one of the five positions?
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember when we signed Warren Sapp and then found out he signed with the Bucs?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even up till 1990, they only experienced playoff victories in 3 of Paul's 23 years. Even though they've played in 2 Super Bowls, postseason success just hasn't been a part of this franchise. 

Of course, Mike's run as owner is now in it's 29th year without a playoff win - barring some incredible turnaround - which is astounding in a very depressing way.  Mellow

Great point. Yes 5 playoff wins total in what 51 years? Not good at all.
Reply/Quote
It takes Saturn 29 earth years to orbit the Sun. Cincy hasn't won a playoff game in 28 years as of now. This December Saturn will orbit the Sun before we win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone remember when we signed Warren Sapp and then found out he signed with the Bucs?

Yes.

We traded for Shawn Rodgers and then it didn't happen.

We walked around the scouting combine telling anyone who would listen that Whitworth was coming back...then he signed with the Rams.

Pattern?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this was the Marvin era, we likely would have seen the Bengals keep Malone and/or Core rather than roll the dice on Willis and Tate. Malone/Core would very likely been given reps over Ross as soon as Ross made a gaffe. We likely would have seen Price starting at C with probably Hopkins at LG.

This. Right. Here. All of it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Yes - And when the options you are choosing between actually have atleast average NFL talent we'll win. Right now it's like which bad player do we keep and which do we waive.

I seriously can't believe that LaRoy Reynolds sees snaps in our base defense.
Reply/Quote