Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bengals have't won a playoff game since modern free agency was instituted
(09-24-2019, 04:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone remember when we signed Warren Sapp and then found out he signed with the Bucs?

Yeah, the whole Sapp situation was weird. According to his version of what happened:

“I accepted the offer and – when he called back – they had taken the offer off of the table. I went to a Heat game and woke up the next morning and Al Davis was on the line. We went from there.”

"They [the Bengals] snatched the offer off the table."

"They said they were bidding against themselves. They gave me an hour to take the offer. I called back in 57 minutes and they took the offer off the table. They said they were bidding against themselves."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The highest yearly average they have given to outside free agents was Bryant (7m), Coles (7m) and Odom (5.9m)...and none of those worked out well. I think those made Mike even more hesitant to pull the trigger on those types of deals than he already was. 

Makes it's tough to truly compete with the big dogs if you're not willing to go all in or roll the dice big on occasion. 

1.) Odom was quite good for us and then he tore his Achilles and his career went to shit.
2.) What's more frustrating about the Bengals lack of interest in free agency is they were actually quite active in free agency between 2008- 2012. The Bengals have regressed in free agency since then.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes.

We traded for Shawn Rodgers and then it didn't happen.

We walked around the scouting combine telling anyone who would listen that Whitworth was coming back...then he signed with the Rams.

Pattern?

Donte Whitner to Bengals...wait, I mean 49ers!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even up till 1990, they only experienced playoff victories in 3 of Paul's 23 years. Even though they've played in 2 Super Bowls, postseason success just hasn't been a part of this franchise. 

Of course, Mike's run as owner is now in it's 29th year without a playoff win - barring some incredible turnaround - which is astounding in a very depressing way.  Mellow

For most of the time Paul ran the team there weren't as many playoff spots available each year. From the merger up until 1977 there were 4 playoff teams per conference. In 1978 when the league moved to a 16 game regular season a 5th playoff team was added for each conference. In 1990 the NFL moved to 4 divisions per conference, which added another playoff team with 4 division winners instead of just 3 + the 2 wildcard teams.

So all of the 6th seeds the Bengals have in their 5 year playoff run, none of those teams would have made the playoffs in Paul Brown's days.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 05:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Donte Whitner to Bengals...wait, I mean 49ers!

I vaguely recalled something happened with Whitner too. Thanks for posting exactly what.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Woah woah woah.... you're telling me the Bengals... HAVEN'T, won any playoff games lately?

WOAH!!!!!!

They don't call them a curse for nothing.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

(09-24-2019, 04:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: in car years our last playoff win is eligible for classic plates.

That would look good on, say, a '96 Caprice.

(09-24-2019, 04:42 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: It takes Saturn 29 earth years to orbit the Sun.  Cincy hasn't won a playoff game in 28 years as of now.  This December Saturn will orbit the Sun before we win a playoff game.

I read this as Mike Brown should be exiled to Saturn.  Agreed.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote