Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals need to revaulate how they assess Skills players
While we saw John Ross be a big dummy last night, Jake Kumerow is lighting things up for Green Bay. Kumerow sat at the bottom of our rosters for how long?

And this isn't the first offense either. Lewis played an injured Jeremy Hill over a healthy Rex Burkhead 2 years ago.

The only defense I can see to this is that "but Zo, we have a great receiver corps this year!"

No we don't. We have a bunch of unprovens that have shown flashes in preseason.
Reply/Quote
How was Ross a big dummy?
Reply/Quote
They need to quit being so dang predictable.

Why is this franchise so opposed to the short high % pass and a guaranteed 5 yards to assist in the play series?

Rarely seen
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:54 AM)Sweetness Wrote: How was Ross a big dummy?

[Image: 86e2c43def49f42cbd47a8e3dfeda496.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’m hardly losing sleep over Jake Kumerow. I liked Burkhead, but not keeping him wasn’t the end of the world either.

And our WR’s aren’t completely unproven. We’ve seen Boyd, Erickson, and Malone make some nice plays in regular season games.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m hardly losing sleep over Jake Kumerow. I liked Burkhead, but not keeping him wasn’t the end of the world either.

And our WR’s aren’t completely unproven. We’ve seen Boyd, Erickson, and Malone make some nice plays in regular season games.

Something about Erickson though, makes me uneasy. He looked decent last night but he's very inconsistent. I definitely dont want him returning kicks anymore.

Reply/Quote
Ross scores his first TD in stripes and he is called a big dummy....

Sometimes, i just have to shake my head around this place. Kumerow won't do as much as Ross will in his career.

Just watch. Plus seen Ross take a big shot on that TD catch and hold on, but i thought the guy was made of fine china.

When Ross gets it together (which will take some time) dude will be great for us.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:21 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: While we saw John Ross be a big dummy last night, Jake Kumerow is lighting things up for Green Bay. Kumerow sat at the bottom of our rosters for how long?

And this isn't the first offense either. Lewis played an injured Jeremy Hill  over a healthy Rex Burkhead 2 years ago.

The only defense I can see to this is that "but Zo, we have a great receiver corps this year!"

Not sure that I agree with you, there.  AJ Green, Eifert, Kroft, Boyd and Erickson have all proven that they can play in the NFL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ross made a tough catch and took a big hit in the process. He also made a nasty tackle after Dalton threw an interception. My thoughts regarding Ross are he will be relatively a non-factor because the O-Line has problems on the right side and Dalton will not have time on go-routes to Ross. Ross may actually be more productive in the slot and the team could use sure handed Boyd opposite of Green.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ross scores his first TD in stripes and he is called a big dummy....

Sometimes, i just have to shake my head around this place. Kumerow won't do as much as Ross will in his career.

Just watch. Plus seen Ross take a big shot on that TD catch and hold on, but i thought the guy was made of fine china.

When Ross gets it together (which will take some time) dude will be great for us.

Agreed. Kid is just a kid. He has tremendous talent. He got too much hype because some expected him to come in an play better than AJ overnite. I fell into the trap as well. Not being better than AJ, but being able to be explosive out the gate. Reading some of the articles about JR, I have come to a conclusion he has a youthful mind and needs positive feedback to gain confidence. Once he gains his confidence, that's when we will start seeing the kid do some great things. He just needs a little time.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:21 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: While we saw John Ross be a big dummy last night, Jake Kumerow is lighting things up for Green Bay. Kumerow sat at the bottom of our rosters for how long?

And this isn't the first offense either. Lewis played an injured Jeremy Hill  over a healthy Rex Burkhead 2 years ago.

Let's put it all in prospective. The FO makes about 100 moves a year deciding to keep players, cut players, give another contract and so forth. You referenced Burkhead. Hill was young and not far removed from a pretty darn good year, fans would have tarred and feathered the FO to cut Hill that year. I love Rex, but he also is not a feature back, not now and will never be.

Kumerow is lighting up pre-season, who cares until he lights it up in the regular season. I will wager you Ross ends up with more catches, yardage via catches and special teams that Jake when they retire assuming they both stay healthy from here on out.

Boyd is not a Jake (unproven). It is easy to be a Monday morning QB, but decisions the FO have to make are real time, so yes they will make mistakes, but what is the percentage of mistakes? It appears to me their recent record has been pretty good without already knowing the future.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The offensive line is the real issue on this team; put it this way if you gave us the 2015 offensive line with this group of skill players this team is going 15-1.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Due to injuries I still consider Ross a rookie getting his first NFL reps in.  Ross has yet to really play an NFL season, so I throw him into the too early to tell list.  We have AJ Green.  I still look to Boyd who caught last Bengals TD pass to beat Baltimore in last seconds end of season.  A return of Eifert would help, but if not, Kroft was not a bad NFL TE last year.  Hopefully it all doesn't fall on Ross, who I consider still a rookie since he really hasn't played an NFL season yet due to injuries.  We could say Bengal have had problems drafting top pick players who were too injured to play their first season. I think in this list are Kirkptrick, Dennard, AJ3, Ogbuehi, Ross who were too injured to do anything their rookie year. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agreed. Kid is just a kid. He has tremendous talent. He got too much hype because some expected him to come in an play better than AJ overnite. I fell into the trap as well. Not being better than AJ, but being able to be explosive out the gate. Reading some of the articles about JR, I have come to a conclusion he has a youthful mind and needs positive feedback to gain confidence. Once he gains his confidence, that's when we will start seeing the kid do some great things. He just needs a little time.

Yeah, i guess i fell into the trap myself expecting Ross to just be great immediately.

It seems it will take some time cause i believe you are right, he just needs to gain that confidence and scoring
his first TD as a Bengal in Preseason is a good start.

(08-19-2018, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's put it all in prospective. The FO makes about 100 moves a year deciding to keep players, cut players, give another contract and so forth. You referenced Burkhead. Hill was young and not far removed from a pretty darn good year, fans would have tarred and feathered the FO to cut Hill that year. I love Rex, but he also is not a feature back, not now and will never be.

Kumerow is lighting up pre-season, who cares until he lights it up in the regular season. I will wager you Ross ends up with more catches, yardage via catches and special teams that Jake when they retire assuming they both stay healthy from here on out.

Boyd is not a Jake (unproven). It is easy to be a Monday morning QB, but decisions the FO have to make are real time, so yes they will make mistakes, but what is the percentage of mistakes? It appears to me their recent record has been pretty good without already knowing the future.

Nice post, hindsight is 20/20. No FO makes the right decisions all the time, not even the Patriots FO.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:33 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The offensive line is the real issue on this team; put it this way if you gave us the 2015 offensive line with this group of skill players this team is going 15-1.

*2015 OL + Billy Price 

If you remember, Center was the glaring weakness then.  Bengals couldn't rush for 3rd and 2, and couldn't stop a blitz up the middle.  Now, they'll at least have a 50/50 chance at either.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: *2015 OL + Billy Price 

If you remember, Center was the glaring weakness then.  Bengals couldn't rush for 3rd and 2, and couldn't stop a blitz up the middle.  Now, they'll at least have a 50/50 chance at either.

Price seems to have resolved the snap issues. I think we are learning centers have a very tough job trying to move 330 to 360 lb. tackles. But, I do think Price will get better every week even though right now he is doing no better than our previous center.

He will get there and progress I think, but it is a tough job and we the fans need to seek to understand how hard their job is and show some respect to the position.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Yes sir, does anyone of you guys want Russell Bodine back people? LOL!
Reply/Quote

Well shit we're unbeatable if you add price to that line.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

And as the season goes on, those percentages will improve.

Reply/Quote
Ross didn’t score a touchdown people. Ugh. He’s so damn fast n quick I still think he has potential but he looks raw as hell out in the field
Reply/Quote