Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Biggest Bust in Bengals History?
Akili Smith without hesitation. I still am upset that Mike Brown turned down Mike Ditka's offer of the entire draft that year all because of a one year wonder in Smith. I wanted Champ Bailey that year in the 1st rd and the Bengals could have picked him with a ton of other picks had Brown not been so stupid in passing up the offer of a lifetime. As for calling Odell Thurman a bust I disagree because he was a steal in the second round when we got him. He just could not leave alcohol and everything else alone instead of focusing on a promising career. I also do not include Kijana Carter because he was injury plagued from the beginning in the preseason game against the Lions when he was injured. I was hoping he could have rebounded but he never could. So much promise but not a bust in my mind.
Reply/Quote
I would have been banned from this message board if it was around the day we drafted Akili Smith. Those pissed off Jets fans had nothing on me that day......ugh.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ki-Jana was amazing at PSU:

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Is this a joke?  He might have been the best defensive rookie I have ever seen in stripes....5 INTs, 5 FF???  He just couldn't stay out of trouble and that is tragic, but he was a steal, as a player, in the 2nd round.  

I guess that's why I was looking at him as a bust.  When you think about what could have been...
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Same thread every year same answer Akili Smith. I don't think that answer will change for a long long time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 08:18 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Odell Thurman has to be up there.

I think being a 2nd Round pick mitigates it some...but probably most disappointing.
Reply/Quote
Not the biggest bust, but Reinard Wilson was hugely disappointing.
Reply/Quote
While I absolutely agree with Akili Smith being the biggest, I think more attention needs to be put on Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher. Back to back tackles and we missed on both. Really screwed our line up, and not to mention let the people in the FO think it was okay to let Whit walk.

Reply/Quote
BIG FATTY DAN WILKINSON!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 05:32 PM)Bryan Wrote: While I absolutely agree with Akili Smith being the biggest, I think more attention needs to be put on Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher. Back to back tackles and we missed on both. Really screwed our line up, and not to mention let the people in the FO think it was okay to let Whit walk.

What makes the Ced pick worse is he had a major injury at the time and the scouting reports I read talked about him giving up a decent amount of sacks in college. ie We looked past several bright red flags.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 05:38 PM)RASCAL Wrote: BIG FATTY DAN WILKINSON!!!

He was never great, but he was serviceable...and played well with the Redskins. He played for 13 years and had 54.5 sacks. He had 8 sacks twice.
Reply/Quote
Ced O. for my vote.

Was to be the future of our T position replacing a beloved offensive line player.

He is horrible. He acts like an ass thinking he's better than he is which doesn't help.

Our dufus mouthbreathing ex-offensive line coach thought this guy was the second coming and could play any position on our line.

Ogbuehi is a complete and total bust.

Basically he's one of the worst guys I've ever seen play O-line for the Bengals no matter where they were drafted.

Year after year we see people trash on Andre Smith but like Wilkerson he was not great but an average-above average player.

Ced O. makes him look like an damn superstar.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This is not very positive thread. Especially when the new coaching staff are trying to create positive vibes.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 07:27 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: Freddie Childress. Second round pick in 1989 that didn't even make the team his rookie year.

That’s a good one. I don’t think he lasted a week in training camp!
Reply/Quote
Any highlight videos of Akili Smith pre-NFL? still wondering what they/Brown saw in him.. since I dont follow college football, i only remember him as a Bengal. I remember him mostly benched. Specially when we had acquired Kitna, he (Akili) was mostly done for good by then.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 08:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is not very positive thread.  Especially when the new coaching staff are trying to create positive vibes.

Meh... the new coaching staff didn't pick any of these guys. It's all just a part of the franchise's history, and one I would think most Bengals accept as part of having them as your team.

We could start a "best pick in Bengals history" thread, but there'd be no discussion there because everyone knows it's Munoz. I thought this might at least lead to a fun discussion in what is a pretty dead period in Bengals news.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 01:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly.

I have to correct you on Marv though. We started having good drafts after hiring Tobin. The 2001 draft is probably the best in team history. Justin Smith, Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh.

It does. We had to pay Akili franchise QB money. Also, I'd rather take a DE who doesn't play over an all-time bad QB who does play and causes us to lose.

Klingler in '93: 55.4% completion rate
Akili in 2000: 44.2% completion rate

Klingler in '93: 66.2 passer rating
Akili in 2000: 52.8 passer rating

Klingler in '93: 6 TD's to 9 INT's
Akili in 2000: 3 TD's to 6 INT's

Pretty much everything that Klingler did bad, Akili did much worse.

I see what you mean. 2001 was a great draft for the Bengals. Too bad Mike Brown wouldn't re-sign Justin Smith. He went on to play very well for SF for many years.

Maybe Mike Brown was changing some before hiring Marvin Lewis.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 05:38 PM)RASCAL Wrote: BIG FATTY DAN WILKINSON!!!

He was better than people give him credit for. He played a long time at a decent level, which more than can be said for the other mentioned candidates for all-time bust.

We also got a 1st and 3rd round pick in trading him after we franchise tagged him.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I see what you mean. 2001 was a great draft for the Bengals. Too bad Mike Brown wouldn't re-sign Justin Smith. He went on to play very well for SF for many years.

Maybe Mike Brown was changing some before hiring Marvin Lewis.

Mike Brown wasn't the only one who didn't want Justin Smith back - I distinctly remember a lot of fans viewing him as a disappointment.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 09:34 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Meh... the new coaching staff didn't pick any of these guys. It's all just a part of the franchise's history, and one I would think most Bengals accept as part of having them as your team.

We could start a "best pick in Bengals history" thread, but there'd be no discussion there because everyone knows it's Munoz. I thought this might at least lead to a fun discussion in what is a pretty dead period in Bengals news.

I like Munoz, I met the man.  He is a gentle giant but the best pick in Bengals history, not sure.  That would make a good thread.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote