Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Biggest Bust in Bengals History?
(05-29-2019, 07:27 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: Freddie Childress. Second round pick in 1989 that didn't even make the team his rookie year.

That’s s good one. I don’t think he lasted a week in training camp!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 05:38 PM)RASCAL Wrote: BIG FATTY DAN WILKINSON!!!

The guy had 25 sacks in 4 years as a Bengal, playing well as both a DT and a 3-4 end. He was so good in stripes that the Skins gave us 1st and 3rd round picks for him. He wasn't a bust, the fans just had unrealistic expectations.

(05-29-2019, 10:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I see what you mean. 2001 was a great draft for the Bengals. Too bad Mike Brown wouldn't re-sign Justin Smith. He went on to play very well for SF for many years.

Maybe Mike Brown was changing some before hiring Marvin Lewis.

Another guy like Dan Wilkinson that played well but wasn't respected by fans. 

(05-29-2019, 10:59 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Mike Brown wasn't the only one who didn't want Justin Smith back - I distinctly remember a lot of fans viewing him as a disappointment.

Just like with Wilkinson, they expected 15 sacks a year, and when he gave us 8, everyone screamed bust. Smh...Justin Smith's average season in Cincy was nearly identical to his average season in SF, but everyone loved him there...because the team was successful.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 04:49 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I guess that's why I was looking at him as a bust.  When you think about what could have been...

Fair point...he did have one amazing season, though.   He was terrorizing Piggy in that last game against pitt of 2005.  Damn, that was a long time ago. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 04:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Same thread every year same answer Akili Smith. I don't think that answer will change for a long long time.

Let's hope it never changes......he was JaMarcus "Syzurp" Russell bad.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not the biggest bust, but Reinard Wilson was hugely disappointing.

Being a Seminoles fan, I had high hopes for him and Peter Warrick.  I was ecstatic with both picks......oops!  Smirk

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 09:33 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Any highlight videos of Akili Smith  pre-NFL?  still wondering what they/Brown saw in him.. since I dont follow college football, i only remember him as a Bengal. I remember him mostly benched. Specially when we had acquired Kitna, he (Akili) was mostly done for good by then.

Had one good year in college, and looked like the prototypical QB, just didn't study like one.  This is EXACTLY the reason I did not want this team taking Haskins and making him the starter day 1.  I'm still gunshy.....lol.

Reply/Quote
Akili wins the biggest bust label because his was a double whammy - not only picked a bum but gave up the huge trade with NO to pick the bum.

Others not sure mentioned to throw in the mix:

Jack Thompson
David Verser
Emanual King
Carl Zander
Sean Brewer
Jerope Simpson
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 09:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: Being a Seminoles fan, I had high hopes for him and Peter Warrick.  I was ecstatic with both picks......oops!  Smirk

I feel like everyone liked the drafting of Warrick. Or should have at the time.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:28 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Jerope Simpson

First of all I dn't think any second round pick could be the biggest bust ever.  Many second round picks don't work out.

Second, Jerome Simpson was not a bust.  He had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him.  He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.
Reply/Quote
Munoz is the Only Bengal with a Bust I believe.. as a player at least.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 12:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Munoz is the Only Bengal with a Bust I believe..   as a player at least.

Charlie Joiner and Terrell Owens.
Reply/Quote
Andre Smith had the biggest bust in Bengals history.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andre Smith had the biggest bust in Bengals history.

I almost posted that earlier.
Reply/Quote
I would think the biggest bust would have been a cheerleader.

On the field it’s gotta be akili

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Easy.

LB Ricky Hunley. #7 pick in the first round of the '84 draft and never polayed a single down for the Bengals.

That '84 draft was epic. We also had the #16 pick in the first round and used it on DE Pete Koch who played only one season with the Bengals and did not start a single game or record a single sack.

Agreed!

Klingler had all the tools and his accuracy was top notch after working with Anderson. He had no OL.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:16 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I would think the biggest bust would have been a cheerleader.

On the field it’s gotta be akili

You have a one track mind, huh?   Hmm
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 03:10 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You have a one track mind, huh?   Hmm

I like big busts and I cannot lie....

Reply/Quote