Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Browns "Quit"
(12-07-2015, 09:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think at his best, he could be Ryan Fitzpatrick in a way. 
So enticing at times. You want to believe that the crazy scrambles and occasional great throw is the turning point but he always resets his meter back to "nope, not there yet" 

It looks like we will get a chance to see what he can do. They are putting him in this week, and probably for the rest of the season I'll wager. The dirt I'm hearing about the franchise is that they want to put him on the market after the season. So, they'll want to showcase him if possible to raise potential offers for him.

I'm also hearing some dirt that Dallas may be interested in him as a back-up to Romo.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 4 drafts they have had 7 first round picks and 16 total in the first 3 rounds.  Plus they have signed several "big name" free agents (Paul Kruger, Ben Tate, Miles Austin, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline)

And they still suck.

When they beat the Bengals last year on Thursday Night, they were tied (I think) for first in the division.  Then, they got cute and put in Johnny Fartball....and I think they have won 3 out of the 18 games since.  They have some talent, but losing Hoyer was incredibly stupid...almost as stupid as drafting Manziel.  

If they would stick to Davis, and release Fartball (so he can go join the Cowboys, as he wanted all along), they could draft a running back, some receivers, and more defensive line talent and be a very solid team in just a couple years.  Will they do it?  History says no.  They will fall in love with another QB, waste a draft pick on him, and suffer from any injuries that exposes their lack of depth.  

I can only hope the steelers suffer the same fate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 01:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When they beat the Bengals last year on Thursday Night, they were tied (I think) for first in the division.  Then, they got cute and put in Johnny Fartball....and I think they have won 3 out of the 18 games since.  They have some talent, but losing Hoyer was incredibly stupid...almost as stupid as drafting Manziel. 

For some reason, thoughts of David Klingler and Boomer Esiason just appeared in my head when I read that.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 01:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When they beat the Bengals last year on Thursday Night, they were tied (I think) for first in the division.  Then, they got cute and put in Johnny Fartball....and I think they have won 3 out of the 18 games since.  They have some talent, but losing Hoyer was incredibly stupid...almost as stupid as drafting Manziel.  

Look, Manziel blows and I think he always will BUT when they benched Hoyer the guy had been playing god awful football for a month straight.
Reply/Quote
Just watched radio guys recap and Lap said Cam Erving was talking trash the whole game ..... Didn't Geno just rape him?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 02:38 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: For some reason, thoughts of David Klingler and Boomer Esiason just appeared in my head when I read that.

Don't forget Akili Smith...the biggest "took the QB over one team's entire draft" mistake of all time.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 02:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Look, Manziel blows and I think he always will BUT when they benched Hoyer the guy had been playing god awful football for a month straight.

This is true, and a good point.  I guess the hay was already in the proverbial barn with the drafting of Manziel in the first place.  I thought they had a decent team before drafting him and they could have built the team around Hoyer.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 02:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Just watched radio guys recap and Lap said Cam Erving was talking trash the whole game ..... Didn't Geno just rape him?

Erving was benched because he was awful. It's the same thing that happened in our first game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 01:25 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: It looks like we will get a chance to see what he can do. They are putting him in this week, and probably for the rest of the season I'll wager. The dirt I'm hearing about the franchise is that they want to put him on the market after the season. So, they'll want to showcase him if possible to raise potential offers for him.

I'm also hearing some dirt that Dallas may be interested in him as a back-up to Romo.

If I'm an NFL owner in need of a QB, I'm looking for a complete individual, obviously one with talent plus an off-field persona that commands respect. And give him the tools to succeed. Why anyone wants fartball is beyond me, even Jerry Jones. Is there not enough talent coming out of college that is better than Manziel?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 05:35 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: If I'm an NFL owner in need of a QB, I'm looking for a complete individual, obviously one with talent plus an off-field persona that commands respect. And give him the tools to succeed. Why anyone wants fartball is beyond me, even Jerry Jones. Is there not enough talent coming out of college that is better than Manziel?

2 things:

1. Jerry Jones is so bat-shit insane that it makes sense that he wants Manziel. Seriously, Jones has a weekly press conference. How many GMs and/or owners do that? He thinks he's some kind of genius so it makes sense that he'd want Johnny Football. Plus, I truly believe that Jones would party just like Manziel if he was in his 20s right now.

2. Is there enough talent in college? Nowadays college offenses are becoming so basic that QBs don't have to be that intelligent to run them. One scout came out and said that the majority of QBs they bring in for visits have no idea how to identify a defensive front. Gruden's QB camp will show that a lot of QBs don't understand NFL playcalling. They're so used to placards.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 05:49 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: 2 things:

1. Jerry Jones is so bat-shit insane that it makes sense that he wants Manziel. Seriously, Jones has a weekly press conference. How many GMs and/or owners do that? He thinks he's some kind of genius so it makes sense that he'd want Johnny Football. Plus, I truly believe that Jones would party just like Manziel if he was in his 20s right now.

2. Is there enough talent in college? Nowadays college offenses are becoming so basic that QBs don't have to be that intelligent to run them. One scout came out and said that the majority of QBs they bring in for visits have no idea how to identify a defensive front. Gruden's QB camp will show that a lot of QBs don't understand NFL playcalling. They're so used to placards.

I've had similar musings about Jerry Jones as you state here. Helluva way to run a team for sure. And we see how it's working for him. Party on, Jerry.

Obviously I don't follow the college game enough to be aware of how simplistic the offenses have become. I was thinking the trend would be more toward the pro game.....doesn't make sense not to do so, at least for the player's benefit.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:01 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I've had similar musings about Jerry Jones as you state here. Helluva way to run a team for sure. And we see how it's working for him. Party on, Jerry.

Obviously I don't follow the college game enough to be aware of how simplistic the offenses have become. I was thinking the trend would be more toward the pro game.....doesn't make sense not to do so, at least for the player's benefit.

The college game is morphing into a game that does not suit the NFL. Teams have to recruit smaller defenders because of these spread offenses. Then they come to the NFL and are too small.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 05:35 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: If I'm an NFL owner in need of a QB, I'm looking for a complete individual, obviously one with talent plus an off-field persona that commands respect. And give him the tools to succeed. Why anyone wants fartball is beyond me, even Jerry Jones. Is there not enough talent coming out of college that is better than Manziel?

I feel like this off-season could be a veritable buffet of "upside that doesn't deliver" QBs that teams are going to want to plug into their system and hope for the best.

Geno Smith
EJ Manuel
Johnny Fartball
Peyton Manning(?)
Ryan Malllllettttt
Matt Stafford(?)
RGIII
Nick Foles
Colon Krapernick

etc...

I'm not sure all these guys will hit the market, but there are always teams that think giving up on their current QB and swapping with another ho-hum QB will work out (see the Foles/Bradford swap).  I'll toss Mettenbooger and that dude on the Bucs who has the long neck...Glennon, into the mix because they get mentioned whenever people are looking for a bad answer to the QB question.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I feel like this off-season could be a veritable buffet of "upside that doesn't deliver" QBs that teams are going to want to plug into their system and hope for the best.

Geno Smith
EJ Manuel
Johnny Fartball
Peyton Manning(?)
Ryan Malllllettttt
Matt Stafford(?)
RGIII
Nick Foles
Colon Krapernick

etc...

I'm not sure all these guys will hit the market, but there are always teams that think giving up on their current QB and swapping with another ho-hum QB will work out (see the Foles/Bradford swap).  I'll toss Mettenbooger and that dude on the Bucs who has the long neck...Glennon, into the mix because they get mentioned whenever people are looking for a bad answer to the QB question.

If this doesn't make ya appreciate Andy Dalton, I don't know what would ....

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 07:42 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: If this doesn't make ya appreciate Andy Dalton, I don't know what would ....

Ain't that the truth.  Rock On
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
And the Browns are going to start Johnny Fartball next week after Austin Davis played about as good as he could against us...

The Browns are the joke of the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And the Browns are going to start Johnny Fartball next week after Austin Davis played about as good as he could against us...

The Browns are the joke of the league.

That was my first reaction too, but like Zona pointed out, it's likely the stains are 'showcasing' fartball so they can dump him in the off season. If this does occur, and they keep Davis, then we'll know they're slightly less moronic.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: After a brief scan for national Bengals news this morning, two things stood out to me. The Patriots loss has grabbed the headlines, with only a mention that Denver and Cincinnati are in the race for top seed. Most played up how Denver is in control of it's own destiny, and only one mentioned that Cincinnati is the number 1 seed if the season ended today.

MSN reported yesterday's 34 point domination was because the Brown's "quit". Nothing at all about the Bengals performance in any way. The shunning continues, and I'm really starting to enjoy it. But only because of the lack of distraction being heralded as the 'team to beat' brings with it. Remaining the league's best kept secret should serve us well as we head into the stretch and beyond to the playoffs. Staying focused and playing smart could, and should, be the result of such little national attention.

Looking forward to the rest of our opponents "quitting".

I think people realize we are a good team. I've not once heard an announcer hint at the idea that we won't make the playoffs. In fact it's been pretty unanimous that we are playoff bound and have been for sometime. But they've all alluded to our past failures in the playoffs. Win a postseason game and we will win some respect. How many years has it taken since we were the laughing stock of the NFL due to arrests for that to go away? Still to this day we hear that crap.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 01:15 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: That was my first reaction too, but like Zona pointed out, it's likely the stains are 'showcasing' fartball so they can dump him in the off season. If this does occur, and they keep Davis, then we'll know they're slightly less moronic.

I wouldn''t let him touch the field.  He is much more likely to give a stinker and lower his value.  He had a solid game against the steelers and then misbehaved his way in to the dog house....on purpose.

Mark it down, he will be a Cowboy next year.  He isn't stupid, he's just a jerk.  He knows that offensive line could be huge for him, as well as some weapons like Bryant.  Jerry Jones lives by "everything is bigger in Texas" and that includes egos, which Fartball has a huge one....unfortunately for the Cowboys, that is the only part of him that is huge.  I could care less.  I will just be glad to see him out of Cleveland.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 09:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is true, and a good point.  I guess the hay was already in the proverbial barn with the drafting of Manziel in the first place.  I thought they had a decent team before drafting him and they could have built the team around Hoyer.  

Hoyer is not a franchise quarterback, he is a place holder.  I saw Al Michaels talking about this a few days ago and thought he had some really good points.  He said that in today's NFL if you don't have a franchise quarterback then you are looking for one.  And not only from the perspective of play on the field, but almost more importantly from the business side of things.  You need excitement around your franchise in order to fill seats and sell merchandise.  A guy like Manziel creates a lot of buzz and hype, a lot of excitement for your franchise.  Guys like Hoyer and Austin Davis, not so much...
Reply/Quote