Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Browns "Quit"
(12-07-2015, 04:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I have to wonder how much better they could be if they just sat on the same QB, coaching staff and management team for 3 consecutive years. I would wager that they would at least be mediocre (8-8).

One of those QBs would have to be an 8-8 type QB. Hoyer only one close they have had. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think people are underestimating us, I think they just don't understand how we're winning. Largely, it's thanks to consistency on both sides, but especially on defense. Our wins and losses compared with the injury lists pretty well show that.

And consistency isn't as easy to talk about as some guy playing out of his mind for a four game stretch or a player that everything hangs on. If Houston was 10-2, the headlines would all be JJ Watt. When the Packers were hot, it was all Rodgers. Pats are winning it's because of Brady... if they're losing it's because of Brady (according to the headlines). But Cincinnati? We don't have to worry about that because we're winning as a team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I actually thought Austin Davis played very well.  I couldn't believe that the fans there were chanting for Johnny Fartball.  Unbelievable.  They must have been hammered.  Davis was under tremendous pressure all day and he hung in there and delivered on-the-mark passes.  

Before anyone starts spouting off about his lack of points, he went 25 of 38 for 230 yards and one pick.  With that supporting cast, I call that borderline miraculous.

I am one of the only Bengals fans that roots for the Browns as their #2, but I would keep this kid and build around him.  Stop trying to draft QBs and build a line, some skill position guys, and some more help on defense.

Here's the long and short of it--whatever decision they make will be the wrong one, if history is any indication.

They'll end up with the first pick, trade it for a bunch of picks and then bust on nearly every one of them.

They'll hire  new coach who will probably suck.  If he doesn't suck, they will fire him after one promising season.

I just hope they don't go after Hue.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I actually thought Austin Davis played very well.  I couldn't believe that the fans there were chanting for Johnny Fartball.  Unbelievable.  They must have been hammered.  Davis was under tremendous pressure all day and he hung in there and delivered on-the-mark passes.  

Before anyone starts spouting off about his lack of points, he went 25 of 38 for 230 yards and one pick.  With that supporting cast, I call that borderline miraculous.

I am one of the only Bengals fans that roots for the Browns as their #2, but I would keep this kid and build around him.  Stop trying to draft QBs and build a line, some skill position guys, and some more help on defense.

Yep.....really gives you an even greater amount of respect for what McCown has done this season.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:12 PM)McC Wrote: Here's the long and short of it--whatever decision they make will be the wrong one, if history is any indication.

They'll end up with the first pick, trade it for a bunch of picks and then bust on nearly every one of them.

They'll hire  new coach who will probably suck.  If he doesn't suck, they will fire him after one promising season.

I just hope they don't go after Hue.
I may be wrong,but I don't see Hue wanting around that dumpster fire
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Break Pitt and we Break the NFL next week

That is a tall order.  Especially when you consider that passing attack, with all of those different weapons.  Offensively, they are like a mirror image of the Bengals, in terms of being able to beat you in so many different ways.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I feel sorry for the Browns. I really do. And, having heard that about the Bengals in past decades, I think that may be the worst thing you can say about a franchise.

[Image: 12360237_933138140067172_566186793833833...e=5721A695]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 4 drafts they have had 7 first round picks and 16 total in the first 3 rounds.  Plus they have signed several "big name" free agents (Paul Kruger, Ben Tate, Miles Austin, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline)

And they still suck.

They have a knee jerk type ownership. If it doesn't work out quick enough, then they feel it never will and cut the cord and try someone else. Hoyer would have been the right guy for them to resign last off season, but they go with McCown instead. Why? Who the hell knows? Johnny Drunk clearly demonstrated himself as not the answer.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a tall order.  Especially when you consider that passing attack, with all of those different weapons.  Offensively, they are like a mirror image of the Bengals, in terms of being able to beat you in so many different ways.

As long as we execute and play smart (avoiding penalties especially), we'll be okay. I do expect a close game though, and maybe not so low-scoring. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Kind of funny some folks seem to get all pissy whenever the Bengals aren't talked about like the greatest thing since the invention of the automatic bread slicer which by the way was invented in 1928 so anything that's the greatest thing since sliced bread can only be 87 years old. My dad was born in 1928 and as far as I'm concerned he IS the greatest man since sliced bread. Since he wasn't really invented ...well...skip it. He's my dad..

Personally I could care less what others say about the Bengals. If the press calls them great I begin to worry.
I definitely worry whenever the Guardian picks them to win. They're ALWAYS wrong.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 07:39 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: As long as we execute and play smart (avoiding penalties especially), we'll be okay. I do expect a close game though, and maybe not so low-scoring. 

I certainly hope they do win.  One of my Survey Managers is from near Pittsburgh, and two of the Engineers are also Steeler fans.  All season long, they have been relatively humble.  However, at our weekly meeting, Rich was starting to spout about how the Steelers are getting healthy, they are coming on strong, they remind him of their last Super Bowl run.  Blah, blah, blah. 

All I said was, "I guess this weeks game has a little meaning to it?".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: One of those QBs would have to be an 8-8 type QB. Hoyer only one close they have had. 

I think Johnny Football can play at an NFL level. But he is such a dam distraction. Not worth it, IMO. But if he ever settles down, he could be like a Jay Cutler.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 08:02 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think Johnny Football can play at an NFL level. But he is such a dam distraction. Not worth it, IMO. But if he ever settles down, he could be like a Jay Cutler.

I think at his best, he could be Ryan Fitzpatrick in a way. 
So enticing at times. You want to believe that the crazy scrambles and occasional great throw is the turning point but he always resets his meter back to "nope, not there yet" 
Reply/Quote

You definitely make a lot of sense. Therefore, they won;t do it.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:14 PM)Shady Wrote: I guess MSN must have based their statement about "quitting" on the fact that the Browns opted not to burn any timeouts on their last drive when they were down 34 points.

Real Men of Genius

[Image: 661e54c8e253ef02649f59d6ced3ef7fd11b60f2...86ddcd.jpg]

Or they quit because they got "injured" and didn't want to go back in?

(12-07-2015, 04:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I started this because I was pissed that they chose to say the Browns "quit", as opposed to what really happened - we damn-near steamrolled them. As much as they struggled with injuries and poor execution, even I wouldn't disrespect an opponent by suggesting the just "quit". Even Pettine recognized the effort in a bad performance. Not that I believe MSN sports is a benchmark of reporting, but the little pissants have a long way to go for credibility.

Brian Hartline refused to talk to the media yesterday.  Today, AFTER cooling off, he proclaimed that several of his teammates flat out quit.
Reply/Quote
Teams are always judged by their past. The Patriots have lost the last two solely because of injuries. Last year, when all of our guys were hurt, we lost because we're losers and have a loser qb. It's all bs but the media is simple minded and very few offer meaningful analysis.

They say the Browns quit because they're a "loser" team and its what losers do. Reality is, this is pro football. All these guys have been winners their whole life. Best in high school that advance to college. Best in college that advance to the pros. The line between winning and losing is very fine and the losing has to kill these players. Look at Carolina, who won 7 games last year and will likely (at least) double that in this regular season. A piece here or there can turn it around but the media acts like what's happened the last 10 years has some effect on the guys currently on the team. They're waiting for the panthers to fold. They say they have played a weak schedule, etc. All because they didn't deliver last year. But they added a piece here and there and stayed healthy and bam- they ARE legit.

The Browns biggest issue, as has been noted here, is that they're impatient. Every team makes bad moves from time to time. Drafting JF may have been one of them- that's yet to be proven. But their desperation has driven impatience and who can blame them?

I spent some formidable years in Cincy as a kid before moving to Cleveland in the 80s as a Bengals fan. I respect Cleveland sports fans. They deserve better but in this day and age, the media scrutiny leads both the fanbase and the team to be impatient. I'm not sure it's something they'll ever escape from. It's worse than us in the 90s. That was pre Internet when every clown gained a voice. Again, Cleveland deserves better. Not sure it can improve.
Reply/Quote
Win a playoff game or two and we'll get more respect. Right now most expect us to do the same thing we've done in recent years past.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 06:13 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: I may be wrong,but I don't see Hue wanting around that dumpster fire

Better watch out for the Rams, then.
Reply/Quote
Didn't Wallace Gillberry just tell some Browns fans who were heckling them that their team flat out sucked during pregame?

And yes they obviously quit. And the coaches knew it before they played. That's why we tested almost everyone and the rookie class got to dress and play.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 07:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: They have a knee jerk type ownership. If it doesn't work out quick enough, then they feel it never will and cut the cord and try someone else. Hoyer would have been the right guy for them to resign last off season, but they go with McCown instead. Why? Who the hell knows? Johnny Drunk clearly demonstrated himself as not the answer.

I think the plan was to attempt to develop Manziel this year and last and Hoyer wasn't going to do that, but McCown would.  
Reply/Quote