Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "C" word
(No ladies, not that one)

vs the "N" word. From the AB situation.

I believe in my heart words have different historical meanings and the history behind the two is way different.

But, for employment purposes I don't think you should be able to call someone either.

if Mayock would have called Brown a N word, he'd be fired on the spot. We all probably agree.

Should both of these terms carry the same weight?

I don't think they do (calling someone a C word, never preceded a lynching, raping, whipping, enslavement, etc), but I am here to say for the record they are equally insulting and should be handled at the place of employment equally.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-06-2019, 05:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: (No ladies, not that one)

I believe in my heart words have different historical meanings and the history behind the two is way different.

But, for employment purposes I don't think you should be able to call someone either.

if Mayock would have called Brown a N word, he'd be fired on the spot. We all probably agree.

I don't think they do (calling someone a C word, never preceded a lynching, raping, whipping, enslavement, etc), but I am here to say for the record they are equally insulting and should be handled at the place of employment equally.

First... I was a lil confused. I thought that maybe Mayock called AB a c**t (which he is).

After I googled what happened, I was a tad disappointed. I can only speak for myself, but that word, or any other racial slur/insult aimed at white people carries zero weight...

If Mayock dropped the N bomb on AB, we all know he'd be fired. There are a couple of double standards here. The first is the first obvious racial double standard... But there is more to it than that. AB puts asses in seats... Mayock doesn't.

All in all this is a big nothing. Everyone knows by now that AB is ****** in the head, and is hassle to deal with. That's why a model franchise cut bait, and gave him to a dysfunctional one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(09-06-2019, 05:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: (No ladies, not that one)

As to the overall sentiment: I agree. As to the bold: You really don't think any white person has been called a "c word" before acts of violence was committed toward them or a white woman was called a "C word" prior to a sexual assault? ? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Calling a white person a cracker is racist. At least the classical definition of the term. Nowadays, you hear the new definition of "prejudice + Power" etc etc. So if you don't want to call it racist, it's at the very least prejudiced.

But, as you said, the word doesn't have anywhere close to the historical context or power as the N word does. Calling someone a cracker, especially in America, is the equivalent of "punching up," if you're familiar with the term, which is often not shown as much derision as punching down. Whether you agree with society's take on this or not, it is the reality we live in. So, as a result, cracker is a significantly more tolerated racial slur than the n word is (see how I'm typing one and not the other? There's a reason for that).

That said, a player can still get a job whether he uses either word, as we saw with Riley Cooper staying an Eagle for 2 more years after he was taped saying the N word at a Kenny Chesney concert. And he wasn't even good.

In the NFL, talent trumps everything else.

Unless you kneel during the national anthem, for whatever reason.
The intent is what matters, not the word itself.

If someone calls me a (insert racial word here) in an effort to hurt me, whether it hurts me or not, it's still racist. While words have history, it's the intent that matters.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
far less offensive, but no you can't tolerate it in the workplace.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-10-2019, 09:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: far less offensive, but no you can't tolerate it in the workplace.

Shouldn't tolerate any kind of harassment in the workplace.

But cracker is in no way as offensive as the "n" word as noted by the fact that we cannot write out the "n" word. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.