Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Conservative Christian Right
(12-14-2017, 10:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: Matt, I just wanted add that I got through about 20 minutes in the car last night.  I'll try to finish it up tonight, but I get the feeling I might need to listen to it twice!

You would like all of the podcasts on the Crooked Media network. Some others on here might like more from that particular one, and maybe Majority 54 (which has some really good conversations on it and isn't as political hack-ish). Lots of good information on there. If you're interested in foreign policy, Pod Save the World is excellent.
(12-14-2017, 10:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: You would like all of the podcasts on the Crooked Media network. Some others on here might like more from that particular one, and maybe Majority 54 (which has some really good conversations on it and isn't as political hack-ish). Lots of good information on there. If you're interested in foreign policy, Pod Save the World is excellent.

I'm so far behind on my regular listening now I might have to take those up later, thanks!

I usually listen while working outside and winter kills my time!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-14-2017, 10:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm so far behind on my regular listening now I might have to take those up later, thanks!

I usually listen while working outside and winter kills my time!

See, I listen to podcasts more than I watch television. I'll usually listen to a podcast while looking things up they are talking about while I am at home. Of course, my podcast feed is the Crooked lineup; Intelligence Matters; Left, Right & Center; Freakonomics Radio; Gov Love; PolicyCast from Harvard Kennedy School; My History Can Beat Up Your Politics; Politico's NerdCast; Brookings Cafeteria; The Politics Guys; Don't Worry About the Government; Ear Hustle. So there is a lot of in depth stuff there and I like to focus on what I am hearing. I also don't listen to all of those every episode. Some of them I have to be interested in the topic of the week. I also listen to the GAO's podcast from time to time. I am that much of a policy nerd.

I listen to wellRED podcast, The West Wing Weekly, Gastro Pod, JMU Sports Blog Podcast, and a couple of other lighter ones for my treks around campus and car rides.
(12-14-2017, 10:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, I listen to podcasts more than I watch television. I'll usually listen to a podcast while looking things up they are talking about while I am at home. Of course, my podcast feed is the Crooked lineup; Intelligence Matters; Left, Right & Center; Freakonomics Radio; Gov Love; PolicyCast from Harvard Kennedy School; My History Can Beat Up Your Politics; Politico's NerdCast; Brookings Cafeteria; The Politics Guys; Don't Worry About the Government; Ear Hustle. So there is a lot of in depth stuff there and I like to focus on what I am hearing. I also don't listen to all of those every episode. Some of them I have to be interested in the topic of the week. I also listen to the GAO's podcast from time to time. I am that much of a policy nerd.

I listen to wellRED podcast, The West Wing Weekly, Gastro Pod, JMU Sports Blog Podcast, and a couple of other lighter ones for my treks around campus and car rides.

I don't want to get too far off track, but you started it and it's your thread...  Smirk

MOST of the podcasts I listen too are lighthearted/true crime.  Last Podcast on the Left, Hollywood Babble On, Nerdist (if I like the guest), The Trail Went Cold, This American Life (I listened to the "S***town series).  Then I have a couple that are zombie related: Two Dead Chicks and Doctor of the Dead. I also have a guy I hired years ago in radio who used to run the PA Bigfoot Society.  He runs a show called Beyond the Edge that covers the paranormal.  Plus I HIGHLY recommend Revisionist History.  Two seasons of it so far.

But I don't watch much television as much as I sit and read on the computer.  And when I'm reading I don't want to distract from what I am listening to or vice versa.  I try to listen in the car but I have a five minute commute and if I'm in the vehicle longer than that I have other people in it and they want music!  Tongue

I did and With Friends Like These so I'll give it a shot too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-14-2017, 09:58 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I understand what you're saying, but what I am saying is that the theology and eschatology I am talking about in this thread is the same that led to the Left Behind series. It's more common than people think. In my original post I said I don't think that most people are consciously thinking about this, but that these sorts of policies are in the mind of their religious leaders who have a major impact on the voting patterns of their flocks.

Totally agree with you on this.  This is a movement with a lobby.

I think some of the doubters are construing your point too narrowly, as just people actually out there publicly pushing for the End Time.

The real voting/policy effect, however, comes from the millions who see Israel as favored by their God, and a nation to be defended.  http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/american-evangelicals-jerusalem/index.html.  And from their leaders who court conservative pols, with their millions of election-swaying vote blocks.

I doubt if any of the evangelicals referred to in the above article thinks he knows when the End Time will come, or thinks about the matter much at all when out of church.  But they do think US foreign policy should favor Israel. 

Still, whatever we do pro or con Israel, it will somehow be part of a larger pattern no human can actually know or control, as God leads us into the final battle with Satan. God often uses imperfect instruments --Trucoughmp cough cough! (scuze me) --to attain his ends. We just want to be found supporting the right side when the world's armies march to the plains of Armageddon.  And I'll add, just so my forum friends know, that won't be the side favoring gay marriage, feminism, and Palestinian right of return.

Palestinian Christians, of course, see the State of Israel in a very different light.
 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-jerusalem-recognition-israel-palestine-christians-muslims-outrage-protest-bethlehem-a8107071.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-jerusalem-recognition-israel-palestine-christians-muslims-outrage-protest-bethlehem-a8107071.html
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]