Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Costs of the First Family's Lifestyle
I thought about posting thing in the 100 days thread, but I think this deserves a bit more discussion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-familys-elaborate-lifestyle-a-logistical-nightmare--at-taxpayer-expense/2017/02/16/763cce8e-f2ce-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.2675e8462df4

I remember there being a dust up when Obama would take an evening to go to NYC with Michelle, and I can remember other times in Obama's administration, and that of other presidents, where there were discussions about the costs of their vacations and trips. This has the addition of more children, adult children, that also garner protection because of their being potential targets and their travels causing increased costs. Plus there is the whole issue of Melania staying in NYC.

In the early days of the country, there was no budget for the POTUS, it was paid for out of their own pockets. Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, these men came away from the office with bills to pay for their expenses. Jefferson, who was never a spendthrift, died buried in debt, and a lot of that was due to his time as president. I'm not suggesting we go back to that by any means, but it just feels like we are moving further and further away from thinking of the job as a job of service to the country with the lifestyle presidents have been living. Trump's is shocking to look at, but he is merely the latest in a line.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I do think we should go back to that.

the president gets a $400,000 salary, and about $200,000 in travel and expense accounts. The current POTUS has spent close to the sum of the expense accounts in the first month.

the POTUS shouldn't be charged anything for official business travel. If he's flying out of the country or to visit a state on official business, that's one thing. Its another to make taxpayers pay because the POTUS wants to get out of town for a day or to operate multiple homes. Its the presidency. Suck it up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Did he sign over all but a dollar of his salary, like he promised ?
I'm going to guess he hasn't.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Page Not Found

- - - -

But yeah, I agree we've been steadily drifting away from the idea of it being a service to the country. Now all Presidents make millions upon millions of dollars once they stop being President with speaking and honorary board membership, have a big salary, and cost tons for their vacations and the like.

It's bad with Congress, too. 5 years gets you a pension. Considering they make $174,000/yr right now not counting their benefits, and their job-related expense allowance.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
A "billionaire" profiting who knows how much off the tax payers because of his position.

Seems legit.
(02-17-2017, 03:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Page Not Found

- - - -

Should be fixed, now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Quote:“The unique thing about President Trump is that he knows what it costs to run a plane,” Fitton added, noting that Trump should consider using the presidential retreat of Camp David, a short helicopter ride from the White House, or even his golf course in Northern Virginia. Of Mar-a-Lago, Fitton said, “Going down there ain’t free.”

For Trump, the costs come with an additional perk: Some of the money flows into his own pocket. While Trump has removed himself from managing his company, he has refused to divest his ownership, meaning that he benefits from corporate successes such as government contracts.
Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Obama's travel related expenses were $97 million over 8 years, or about $12m a year. In one month, just the 3 trips to Mar-a-Lago have been roughly $10m.

Half a million a day for the NYPD to protect Trump Tower as Melania and Baron choose to live outside of DC.

Over $100,000 spent so far on business trips for the older Trump boys.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-17-2017, 03:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

He can't receive emoluments from state or foreign governments, but from the federal budget is okay. Not even joking.

(02-17-2017, 04:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Obama's travel related expenses were $97 million over 8 years, or about $12m a year. In one month, just the 3 trips to Mar-a-Lago have been roughly $10m.

Half a million a day for the NYPD to protect Trump Tower as Melania and Baron choose to live outside of DC.

Over $100,000 spent so far on business trips for the older Trump boys.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317506-melania-trump-to-move-to-dc-at-end-of-school-year

Apparently only until the school year ends.

Still expensive, though. I feel like I could secure a building for less than $500k a day. That's some ridiculous union overtime wages right there. Lol.. if your 500k number is right, that's what, $182.5m for a year? Private military contractors make like $500/day in Iraq, and they're at significant more threat of being blown up or shot in Iraq. Say $300/day, give me 210 people working on 3 different 8 hour shifts (70/shift) and pow.. $63k/day, or just under $23m for a year. Even if you account for spending money on communications, food, weapons, bodyarmor, bomb sniffing dogs, etc. I can't see it ever reaching $500k/day without union overtime and such just bending you over to fill their pockets.

I'd be really curious to see the accounting for that, actually. Would be fascinating.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
It is good to know that they pay for their own food, toiletries, etc. Apparently Steve Ford found that out the hard way when he was called into his dad's office on a Monday morning after supplying his buds with beers all weekend.

That being said, yeah we shouldn't be footing the bill for them to travel all over the place for leisure. If that's too hard, then don't run for President.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-20-2017, 11:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It is good to know that they pay for their own food, toiletries, etc.  Apparently Steve Ford found that out the hard way when he was called into his dad's office on a Monday morning after supplying his buds with beers all weekend.

That being said, yeah we shouldn't be footing the bill for them to travel all over the place for leisure.  If that's too hard, then don't run for President.

I have less of a problem with the "vacations" than the spending to protect the adult children while they are doing daddy's private/personal business in foreign countries.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-17-2017, 03:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A "billionaire" profiting who knows how much off the tax payers because of his position.

Seems legit.

And smart!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-17-2017, 05:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317506-melania-trump-to-move-to-dc-at-end-of-school-year

Apparently only until the school year ends.

Still expensive, though. I feel like I could secure a building for less than $500k a day. That's some ridiculous union overtime wages right there. Lol.. if your 500k number is right, that's what, $182.5m for a year? Private military contractors make like $500/day in Iraq, and they're at significant more threat of being blown up or shot in Iraq. Say $300/day, give me 210 people working on 3 different 8 hour shifts (70/shift) and pow.. $63k/day, or just under $23m for a year. Even if you account for spending money on communications, food, weapons, bodyarmor, bomb sniffing dogs, etc. I can't see it ever reaching $500k/day without union overtime and such just bending you over to fill their pockets.

I'd be really curious to see the accounting for that, actually. Would be fascinating.

Yep. It is the Unions. They just keep destroying America. Terrible.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-20-2017, 11:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: I have less of a problem with the "vacations" than the spending to protect the adult children while they are doing daddy's private/personal business in foreign countries.

I have to agree with this, as well as the whole issue with Manhattan. The POTUS is never technically on vacation and so there is a level with which I am comfortable for leisure, but I think there needs to be a line somewhere.