Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crying is Embarrassing
(12-03-2021, 02:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Then that's a horrible take. 

Tomlin has been one of the most consistent coaches in the league over the past decade. When it's all said and done I would kill for Zach Taylor to end up with the resume that Tomlin has. 

Won the division 7 times in 13 years.
Two Super Bowl appearances and one win.
Went to AFC Championship game 3 times.

All of this during the Brady/Bellichick era as well.

The dude has NEVER had a losing record.

The biggest problem with the Steelers over the past couple of years is that they refused to rebuild their aging roster. They should have cut bait with Ben years ago.

Yeah, Tomlin is a good coach in his own right, not as good as Cowher. But he is a damn good coach who was outcoached by
Taylor the last 3 games and by Lou. Our Defense has owned the Steelers the last 3 games we have played them. It is just nice
seeing Taylor finally outcoaching damn good coaches like Tomlin and Harbaugh. Hope this continues when we play the Ravens 
again and when we play the Browns later on in the year where Taylor and Lou were outcoached the last time.

Have always said Taylor is young so he can learn, happy this is coming to fruition.
Reply/Quote
Pretty simple and straight forward to me. They ARE the enemy therefor they suck! No IF, AND, OR BUTS about it.. Who Dey Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good. I hope they feel this way for another 20 years. Seriously, screw them all.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And the league is better for it.  I saw Polumalu (who I thought was incredible) knock himself out leading with his helmet.  That guy never raised his head....always led with it.  He is going to be the next Merrill Hoge and not know how to find his way home in 20 years.  Sad. 

When Polumalu tried that against Ced Benson right in front of my seat he lost big time. 

Got up and wobbled 10 yards sideways before falling while just trying to run toward his sideline after Ced trucked him.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 10:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not watching 8 minutes of Stephen A Smith, but the beginning was pretty funny. LOL

It's funny when the stealer lose though. It's over dramatic, but I find it hillarious...
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 11:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: When Polumalu tried that against Ced Benson right in front of my seat he lost big time. 

Got up and wobbled 10 yards sideways before falling while just trying to run toward his sideline after Ced trucked him.  

That's why they (and most likely the league) hated Burfict so badly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 11:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: When Polumalu tried that against Ced Benson right in front of my seat he lost big time. 

Yep!  Remember that one, too!  I was just thinking that we have not had as physical a runner as Ced since then, and this offense has an explosive passing game as well (when needed).

The best obliteration of Polumalu was when Peko was lead blocker as a fullback and just destroyed him at the goal line.  

I liked it more than the TD.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Something I noticed lately here in the Columbia, SC area is the squeeler fans with squeeler paraphernalia plastered to their vehicles are letting said paraphernalia fade, peel and look generally pretty trashy....Not that trashy was ever in question to begin with, but I thought it needed to be pointed out..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 03:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Tomlin is a good coach in his own right, not as good as Cowher. But he is a damn good coach who was outcoached by
Taylor the last 3 games and by Lou. Our Defense has owned the Steelers the last 3 games we have played them. It is just nice
seeing Taylor finally outcoaching damn good coaches like Tomlin and Harbaugh. Hope this continues when we play the Ravens 
again and when we play the Browns later on in the year where Taylor and Lou were outcoached the last time.

Have always said Taylor is young so he can learn, happy this is coming to fruition.

Tomlin, like Marv, is only as good as his assistants.  He had some great ones that they lost, and now he looks like a turd in the punch bowl.  
Reply/Quote

Tomlin has been one of the most consistent coaches in the league over the past decade. When it's all said and done I would kill for Zach Taylor to end up with the resume that Tomlin has. 

The biggest problem with the Steelers over the past couple of years is that they refused to rebuild their aging roster. They should have cut bait with Ben years ago.

Yep... After 2019 there was no denying that Mike Tomlin is a great HC. I think Steelers fans have grown tired of him, but it doesn't change the fact.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Tomlin, like Marv, is only as good as his assistants.  He had some great ones that they lost, and now he looks like a turd in the punch bowl.  

True and the same can be said of Taylor before he got Pollack, and Walters in here.

Same with Lou before he got Hobby and Golden in here.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:58 AM)Whatever Wrote: From '07-'10, Tomlin had a 5-2 playoff record, including 2 SB appearances and one SB win.

Since then, he has a playoff record of 3-6 and hasn't won a playoff game since '16.  

Exactly. Tomlin should send half his paychecks to Cowher. He's almost been Marvin Lewis-esque for the last decade. Only skating by due to his SB reputation that was built with Cowher's team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

I mean, let's be real.  Anybody here would kill for Taylor to have Barry Switzer's resume.  That's not really that bold of a statement.

In the modern era, teams with 1st ballot HoF QB's win consistently.  Tomlin inherited one entering his prime.  When you have a HoF QB like Ben, it's playoffs or bust every single year.  Tomlin has missed the playoffs 5 out of 14 seasons, over 1/3 of the time.  That's unacceptable when you have that kind of stability at the most important position.  Sure, Ben looks finished this year, but that doesn't excuse away the previous 14 seasons.

People make a big deal out of no losing seasons and claim he would have done better if they had pulled the plug on Ben years ago, but if Tomlin had to jump on the QB carousel, he would likely have losing seasons trying to get a QB and/or break them in.  And this is a coach that had Ben, Bell, Brown, Miller, Pouncey, DeCastro, etc in their primes and failed to capitalize with them.  You can definitely make the case that he has underachieved based on the talent he's had.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:58 AM)Whatever Wrote: From '07-'10, Tomlin had a 5-2 playoff record, including 2 SB appearances and one SB win.

Since then, he has a playoff record of 3-6 and hasn't won a playoff game since '16.  

From 2007 to 2011 Mike Tomlin's Coordinators were Dick Lebeau and Bruce Arians. Bruce left in 2011 and Lebeau left in 2014.

Honestly since Dick Lebeau left Pittsburgh they have started to go downhill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Who coasted off whom more? Tomlin from Cowher or Gruden from Dungy?
Reply/Quote
Peko vs Polamalu
https://youtu.be/huolfNTLgB0
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 07:04 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Who coasted off whom more? Tomlin from Cowher or Gruden from Dungy?

Tomlin by a country mile.

Chin had just won a title, and he definitely built that squad. Dungy couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs, and Sam Wyche drafted much of that core.

Without Gruden, I don't think the Bucs have that title. Dungy was stagnating there, ala Marvin Lewis. Plus Gruden proved himself elsewhere, unlike Tomlin.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tomlin by a country mile.

Chin had just won a title, and he definitely built that squad. Dungy couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs, and Sam Wyche drafted much of that core.

Without Gruden, I don't think the Bucs have that title. Dungy was stagnating there, ala Marvin Lewis. Plus Gruden proved himself elsewhere, unlike Tomlin.

Gruden fell off quick as hell. I'm not a believer in coasting off another coach though. Certainly not for as long as Mike Tomlin has been around.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Since the Steelers last made a Super Bowl:

11 seasons
4 division titles
4x missed the playoffs (soon to be 5x)
9 playoff games against the following QBs:

Tim Tebow
Joe Flacco
AJ McCarron
The broken shell of Peyton Manning
Ryan Tannehill
Alex Smith
Tom Brady
Blake Bortles
Baker Mayfield

This is probably the easiest group of playoff QBs you will ever see. Yet the Steelers went 3-6 in these games, and should've lost to McCarron.

The only legit QB they faced (Brady) blew them out 36-17. They also lost games to Tim Tebow, shell of Peyton, Blake Bortles and Baker Mayfield. Ouch.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 08:06 PM)jason Wrote: Gruden fell off quick as hell. I'm not a believer in coasting off another coach though. Certainly not for as long as Mike Tomlin has been around.

He did, but I don't think anyone believes they have that ring if they'd stayed the course with Dungy.. and I think that's what matters. Dungy didn't get it done with Wyche's players. Gruden did, and we can't really say Jon coasted with Dungy's guys, because many of them weren't Dungy's.
Reply/Quote