Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Burfict's suspension holds up, is the season already in trouble?
The bright side is he can't get hurt lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 02:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Explain this "lame duck" thingy? 

Lame duck is a term given to a coach when he only has 1 year left on his contract. It's believed that players don't respond well to "lame duck" coaches since the belief is that they'll be gone next season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 04:10 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Lame duck is a term given to a coach when he only has 1 year left on his contract. It's believed that players don't respond well to "lame duck" coaches since the belief is that they'll be gone next season.

Actually, lame duck is given when he's on the last year of his contract and it's clear he's not going to get a new one. While it's possible this is ML's last year, it's not a given, thus I don't think we can consider ML a lame duck coach just yet.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 04:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Actually, lame duck is given when he's on the last year of his contract and it's clear he's not going to get a new one. While it's possible this is ML's last year, it's not a given, thus I don't think we can consider ML a lame duck coach just yet.

I was driving at this, but again someone took my angle away! Lol  I knew what a lame duck was. People assume, I think, that this is supposedly ML's last year he doesn't really care what goes on. Just sitting in is office smoking a big Cuban or something to that effect.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 04:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Actually, lame duck is given when he's on the last year of his contract and it's clear he's not going to get a new one. While it's possible this is ML's last year, it's not a given, thus I don't think we can consider ML a lame duck coach just yet.

Marvin went into 2010 without an extension, proceeded to go 4-12 (losing 10 straight) and was brought back for a "re-boot".

I will never think Marvin is gone until Hobson is actually writing about him being gone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Marvins contract doesn't have doodly squoot to do with Burficts suspension.. 
Personally I think he has quite a bit of respect from players although I have nothing to back up the claim. 
He's not my favorite HC, but we've seen far worse.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 05:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Marvins contract doesn't have doodly squoot to do with Burficts suspension.. 
Personally I think he has quite a bit of respect from players although I have nothing to back up the claim. 
He's not my favorite HC, but we've seen far worse.   

aka Atleast it's not the 90's.
Reply/Quote
We def need more LB depth next off season
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 02:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Explain this "lame duck" thingy? 

It means that he is coaching in his last year & doesn't have another deal in place yet. I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's Marvin's current status.
Reply/Quote
Burfict being suspended is becoming par for the Bengals course.

Unfortunately do not see the league removing the bullseye on his back anytime soon.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Been a "lame duck fan" for years yet keep re-signing contract annually.

Sometimes love hurts !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote