Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The (Dalton-less) Overrated Player Thread
(08-23-2019, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. He’s 9th.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/03/07/highest-paid-wide-receivers-ranking-nfl-wrs-salary-2019-season/3084802002/

Fair enough, but I believe he was in +20 range for production in 2018. 

Does this include all bonuses he got upfront (total compensation) or yearly salary? They can be measured differently in some cases. But, at time he signed his contract, he was definitely in top 3 to 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:13 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Let me know when Dunlap puts Mayfield or Rothlisberger 
On the ground this year.
Cause last year both QBs had clean jerseys vs the Bengals.
And to beat those teams you can't let those QBs get comfortable and just dissect a defense 

Dunlap had a season high 4 QB hits in the season finale against the Steelers when we held their offense to just one TD.  Roethlisberger had 287 yards but he threw the ball 45 times (only 6.4 per attempt).
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, but I believe he was in +20 range for production in 2018. 

Does this include all bonuses he got upfront (total compensation) or yearly salary? They can be measured differently in some cases. But, at time he signed his contract, he was definitely in top 3 to 5.

I don’t really get too fussed about salaries. It’s not like we are anywhere near the cap anyway. If Mike Brown wanted to spend more he could. Paying AJ high end WR money isn’t hindering us. But if anyone is overpaid it’s Dre and Glenn.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap had a season high 4 QB hits in the season finale against the Steelers when we held their offense to just one TD.  Roethlisberger had 287 yards but he threw the ball 45 times (only 6.4 per attempt).

I can't speak for others, but guys I think are great or can be great like Dunlap get more scrutiny from me. I admit may not be fair as I think Dunlap has ability to be all pro every year, yet does not get named often.

As I stated, I expect Dunlap to produce while others I don't as I don't respect their talent level. So easy for me to think they may be over rated, in essence I am the one that over rated them from the beginning.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can't speak for others, but guys I think are great or can be great like Dunlap get more scrutiny from me. I admit may not be fair as I think Dunlap has ability to be all pro every year, yet does not get named often.

As I stated, I expect Dunlap to produce while others I don't as I don't respect their talent level. So easy for me to think they may be over rated, in essence I am the one that over rated them from the beginning.

I am the same way.

Dunlap's rookie season was crazy (9.5 sacks in last 8 games).  I thought he would have multiple All Pro seasons.  So even though he has been good he has not lived up to those expectations.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap had a season high 4 QB hits in the season finale against the Steelers when we held their offense to just one TD.  Roethlisberger had 287 yards but he threw the ball 45 times (only 6.4 per attempt).

Big Ben you have to bring to the ground with ball in hand.
Hitting him simply isn't good enough.
I've seen past Bengals draped on him and he still got the throw off.
He's so big he can take hits and still make plays.
How many times did Dunlap get to him on that 
Last possession in game 1 when Teryl Austin drew up that defense in crayon on the sidelines?
Dunlap has good career numbers.
But rarely does play big vs the AFC North....at least in recent memory.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Big Ben you have to bring to the ground with ball in hand.
Hitting him simply isn't good enough.
I've seen past Bengals draped on him and he still got the throw off.
He's so big he can take hits and still make plays.

EVERY quarterback is less efficient under pressure even if he is not sacked.

Sacks are better, but hits mean pressure.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: stopping the run is a must if the D is to improve.

If he can't rush the passer then all the opposing team will do his pass. Just like when we had Peko and Simms play together. I think Brown is better overall player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 10:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A while back I started a thread about the most underrrated Bengals.  I thought it was a good thread because it was people saying positive things about our players.  I think I will just stay out of this "shit on a Bengal thread".  I already know exactly what will happen if I start trying to defend some of these guys (in fact I have already seen it).  .  .  

"Since we have not won a playoff game every Bengals player is crap."

So much for staying out of it...  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Dunlap is one of my favorite players on the team. Both on n off the field been super. He’s great against the run , get a lot of tip passes n some sacks. He’s the prototype LDE in a 4-3. Definitely not overrated I’m my book.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:39 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Now look, spare me the whole "why no Dalton" talk, ok? I get that there are plenty of people around these parts who would happily throw his name out there first and foremost if I started this thread... which is why we're going to leave him out of this. There are already 897 threads on here you can go whine and complain about Andy Dalton on these boards, so maybe we can leave that conservation at the door in this one, okay?

So... out of all the current Bengals on the roster, who do you personally feel is overrated? Is there someone who you've never understood the hype for? Someone that everyone seems to love that you can't stand? Now is the time to share and discuss!

I'll post my answer in a reply below. Interested in reading thoughts from others.

This is a hard one for me as I think most of our players are underrated.

Cannot name rookies.

I might agree with you on Shawn as he does do some dumb penalties and he sometimes doesn't cover well and wrap up the best while tackling. On Offense I will go with Cordy Glenn, he is so soft in run blocking for a guy his size it baffles me. If I was that big I would be wiping LB's out on those pull screens but he would just slightly push them aside which was maddening to me last year, especially in the Saints game. Would of turned a 20 yard run for Mixon into a TD if Glenn just hit the dude with a little bit of something. It is called a Pancake, not patty cake.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:57 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: If he can't rush the passer then all the opposing team will do his pass. Just like when we had Peko and Simms play together.

Very few teams get high sack numbers from their interior linemen.

DTs do not determine how much the opposing team throws the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 12:13 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Let me know when Dunlap puts Mayfield or Rothlisberger 
On the ground this year.
And to beat those teams you can't let those QBs get comfortable and just dissect a defense 

And that has to do with anything I said, how?

As Fred mentioned, 4 hits on Burger.

A pressure is a pressure is a pressure; more often than not, a pressure leads to a negative play.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
On the ground this year.

Well in the first game against Pittsburgh the Bengals were not getting any pressure on Ben and he destroyed us. In the second game we got pressure and the Steelers only scored 16 points. Dunlap by the way had 4 hits in that contest.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: EVERY quarterback is less efficient under pressure even if he is not sacked.

Sacks are better, but hits mean pressure.

Some QBS like Colt McCoy , Cody Kessler, Derek Carr you put pressure on them yes they melt , their clock speeds up,they hurry their throw, mechanically they are off its usually a win for 
The defense 
But guys like Big Ben, Mahomes, Rodgers you can pressure them and they can find a check down in the flat or a WR breaking off his route.
Sacking Ben means on his next throw he will try to force a huge play down field and he will get turnover prone.
Big time players make big time plays in big time moments
That's been a rare sighting in Bengal land of late 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And that has to do with anything I said, how?

As Fred mentioned, 4 hits on Burger.

A pressure is a pressure is a pressure; more often than not, a pressure leads to a negative play.

I think if anything Dunlap is underrated.

Does he get as many sacks as he should? No.

Does he need to finish better? Yes.

But he is one of the most disruptive Ends you will ever see,
Reply/Quote
Not from the board so much but nationally I'd have to say Dre-K. I've heard him referred to as our "best corner".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 03:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: But guys like Big Ben, Mahomes, Rodgers you can pressure them and they can find a check down in the flat or a WR breaking off his route.

Some QBs are better under pressure than others but every QBs numbers go down when under pressure.

Just compare Ben's numbers from game one against us when we did not get any pressure to the season finale where Dunlap got 4 QB hits..

46 attempts...369 yards...0 int...100.7 rating
45 attempts...287 yards...1 int... 84.2 rating
Reply/Quote
Vigil is way overrated by some in here.  Hes decent inside the box when it comes to tackling but in space he cant tackle...its over pursued and missed tackle after missed tackle.  He is decent at pass pro...but we need an upgrade from him baaaaaadly.  Brown is overrated as well.  i dont see it in him either. Pratt looks solid but i dont know if hes gonna actually develop into the beast alot of yall thing, but i think he will be a good pro.  just not a beast/pro bowler.  we need an entirely new unit at LB other than Pratt.  In our division with how run heavy it is i expect us to be ran all over.  gotta get some LB's.  Obviously ross is way overrated as well but everyone has made that case clear in here so i wont beat a dead horse.  Go bengals.  oh and at this point Gio overrated too.  and dre kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2019, 03:19 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Vigil is way overrated by some in here.  Hes decent inside the box when it comes to tackling but in space he cant tackle...its over pursued and missed tackle after missed tackle.  He is decent at pass pro...but we need an upgrade from him baaaaaadly.  Brown is overrated as well.  i dont see it in him either. Pratt looks solid but i dont know if hes gonna actually develop into the beast alot of yall thing, but i think he will be a good pro.  just not a beast/pro bowler.  we need an entirely new unit at LB other than Pratt.  In our division with how run heavy it is i expect us to be ran all over.  gotta get some LB's.  Obviously ross is way overrated as well but everyone has made that case clear in here so i wont beat a dead horse.  Go bengals.  oh and at this point Gio overrated too.  and dre kirkpatrick.

And this is why we will continue to not take a word you type, seriously.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote