Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Difference Between The Falcons And Bengals
(01-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: there's a reason he sits out most years while the Bengals go to the playoffs. Ryan is an average qb while Dalton is a top 7 qb. Ryan had one good year that's it. 

So beating Aaron Rodgers to go to the Super Bowl (and possibly win it...we shall see) doesn't quite hold the power that 5-straight one-n-dones does in your mind?  That's before we point out that TJ Yates and Matt Shaub beat us...sure, we weren't TECHNICALLY sitting out the playoffs but we sure weren't very much "in them" either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 01:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So beating Aaron Rodgers to go to the Super Bowl (and possibly win it...we shall see) doesn't quite hold the power that 5-straight one-n-dones does in your mind?  That's before we point out that TJ Yates and Matt Shaub beat us...sure, we weren't TECHNICALLY sitting out the playoffs but we sure weren't very much "in them" either.

so he has 1 good season and he's better than Dalton? Yeah he had success this year. Before that he was 1-5. To Yates is the Bengal killer everyone knows that. Let's see him regret like he was before shanahan got there. An average qb.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 11:41 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Lol...is top 7 even a thing. The Dalton Lovers are always making things up that do not exist. 

BTW.  RYAN>Daton...not even a question. 

apparently not many people on this board have something other short term memory. He had 1 good year that's it. Let's not forget he was 1-5 in the playoffs in 8 years. He's just outside the top 5 he's 6 or 7 to most people. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:19 AM)Jpoore Wrote: apparently not many people on this board have something other short term memory. He had 1 good year that's it. Let's not forget he was 1-5 in the playoffs in 8 years. He's just outside the top 5 he's 6 or 7 to most people. 

He has a 93.6 career quarterback rating, 5 straight years of 4,500+ passing yards and better than a 2/1 td to int ratio for his career. Five of the last six years, he's had a better rating than Dalton. 

He's had more than just 1 good year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:26 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He has a 93.6 career quarterback rating, 5 straight years of 4,500+ passing yards and better than a 2/1 td to int ratio for his career. Five of the last six years, he's had a better rating than Dalton. 

He's had more than just 1 good year. 

Yeah he's been a better QB than Dalton over the course of their careers, but prior to this year was he WAY better? Na. Ryan was viewed as a middle of the road type before 2016. As a cbs sports radio guy said tonight, Shannahan rehabilitated Ryan's image as a middle of the road choker.

Now suddenly he's an MVP Super Bowl QB. Funny what good coaching and drafting can do for a QB. Ryan had an 89.0 rating last year and wasn't viewed as anything special. This was Ryan's best season by a mile, and I think his situation helped him reach his max potential. I don't think the Bengals have come close to maximizing Dalton's potential in any year but maybe 2015.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 03:25 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah he's been a better QB than Dalton over the course of their careers, but prior to this year was he WAY better? Na. Ryan was viewed as a middle of the road type before 2016. As a cbs sports radio guy said tonight, Shannahan rehabilitated Ryan's image as a middle of the road choker.

Now suddenly he's an MVP Super Bowl QB. Funny what good coaching and drafting can do for a QB. Ryan had an 89.0 rating last year and wasn't viewed as anything special.

No, he's not way better and i wouldn't even bother switching QBs if given the opportunity. But...the dude said he had one good year and that he was 1-5 in the playoffs before this year. He's had more than one good year and the Falcons D has been bad for quite some time until recently. Plus, he was only 1-4 before this year. Now He's 3-4 and getting ready to play in the SB. In his last 4 playoff games he's 3-1 with 3 of those games having a rating of 100+ and the other being 93+. 

I'm just not down with degrading another QB and making stuff up that's nowhere near true, in order to prop your own QB up. Let the play on the field speak for itself. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 03:34 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No, he's not way better and i wouldn't even bother switching QBs if given the opportunity. But...the dude said he had one good year and that he was 1-5 in the playoffs before this year. He's had more than one good year and the Falcons D has been bad for quite some time until recently. Plus, he was only 1-4 before this year. Now He's 3-4 and getting ready to play in the SB. In his last 4 playoff games he's 3-1 with 3 of those games having a rating of 100+ and the other being 93+. 

I'm just not down with degrading another QB and making stuff up that's nowhere near true, in order to prop your own QB up. Let the play on the field speak for itself. 

Gotcha. I'm with ya there. I've always viewed Ryan as a 10-12 type of QB. The Falcons used to remind me of the early Palmer era Bengals. Good QB/WR duo...no defense, weak coaching. Now they've put it all together.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:17 AM)Jpoore Wrote: so he has 1 good season and he's better than Dalton? Yeah he had success this year. Before that he was 1-5. To Yates is the Bengal killer everyone knows that. Let's see him regret like he was before shanahan got there. An average qb.

Well, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Bruce Gradkowski, Kyle Orton, and any Buffalo QB can go on the Bengal Killer list too.   Tongue 

For whatever reason, we do have Aaron Rodger's number though.  I think it's because he likes to escape the pocket too much and our edge rushers typically get to him.  We can handle Brees in a similar manner.  The QB's we are the worst against are the ones who patiently stand in the pocket.  If Atkins isn't on, then our pressure up the middle is very weak.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mack > Bodine
Freeney > Johnson
Jones > Green

This one might be too close to call honestly. 

They're both better than Brown though. 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 03:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This one might be too close to call honestly. 

They're both better than Brown though. 

I prefer green just bc of the fact Jones toe is always killing him/keeping him out. But I always thought they're 1a 1b obj brown.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 03:52 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Well, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez, Bruce Gradkowski, Kyle Orton, and any Buffalo QB can go on the Bengal Killer list too.   Tongue 

For whatever reason, we do have Aaron Rodger's number though.  I think it's because he likes to escape the pocket too much and our edge rushers typically get to him.  We can handle Brees in a similar manner.  The QB's we are the worst against are the ones who patiently stand in the pocket.  If Atkins isn't on, then our pressure up the middle is very weak.  

yeah well should change with Billings. U have to double team. Billings leaving Dunlap or Atkins one on one.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: there's a reason he sits out most years while the Bengals go to the playoffs. Ryan is an average qb while Dalton is a top 7 qb. Ryan had one good year that's it. 

ANDDDD????? That ONE year has him in the SUPER BOWL!!!! Duh
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 04:03 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I prefer green just bc of the fact Jones toe is always killing him/keeping him out. But I always thought they're 1a 1b obj brown.

That's how I'd have them as well. Not sure who I'd give the 5 spot to. Maybe Hopkins. He dropped off a bit this season though. 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 04:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That's how I'd have them as well. Not sure who I'd give the 5 spot to. Maybe Hopkins. He dropped off a bit this season though. 

I would say hopkins he was off this yeah bc of oswieler. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 04:04 AM)Jpoore Wrote: yeah well should change with Billings. U have to double team. Billings leaving Dunlap or Atkins one on one.

Shouldn't we at least wait to see Billings play one meaningful snap in the NFL before we claim he's going to demand double teams?
Reply/Quote
The Falcons threw to Sanu, Threw to Sanu, Threw to Sanu in the end zone, Threw to Sanu, threw to Sanu....and then Jones became more open...and they go to Super Bowl....Of course we didn't need Sanu, or Jones or Hall or Nelson or Andre Smith or Whitworth or Zeitler or Kirkpatrick or Peko or Burkhead because we're the mighty Bengals of never a play-off win. Anybody remember Corey Dillon on the Patriots looking like Jim Brown in that Super Bowl win, yet we always say we were better without them. Yeah, we're great.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 09:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Falcons had Mike Smith as HC who coached them from 08-14. He took the team to the playoffs 4 times in his tenure including a NFC Championship, his last two years were the equivalent to this past year in Cincy. What does Atlanta do? They make a coaching change and today they are going to the Super Bowl and have an opportunity to be SB champions this year. What does Cincy do after such a lackluster, underperforming year? The same thing it always does....nothing.

I wonder if the Falcon fans were worried their team would be horrible after firing their head coach like so many Bengal fans are so worried we will return to the 90's without Lewis? Of course not because its ridiculous logic..

Falcons are preparing for A Super Bowl game and the Bengals are preparing a bowl of cereal....

I was going to post the exact same thread today. The parallels between the 2014 Falcons and the 2016 Bengals are scary. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The sad thing though is the time to make a coaching change was 3 years ago when we had an elite roster.

We have the 2nd oldest starting defense in the NFL now and free agency has costed us a lot of talent.
Reply/Quote
Remember when we all thought Sanu and Freeney were crazy for wanting to sign on with the Falcons rather than the Bengals because the Falcons were further away from postseason success? Joke's on us I guess.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 04:19 AM)count35 Wrote: ANDDDD????? That ONE year has him in the SUPER BOWL!!!! Duh

I'd say it had more to do with the coaching change and an owner and front office that understands what it means to get quality FAs to augment a decent team and turn it into a very good team.  To each his own though....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote